Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Whats the quickest, cheapest (preferazbly $0) way to set up an old email address to snag a recovery email? Yes I own the domain it's just parked with a free plan at Wix right now with a placeholder site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

FAO: CAT INTERCEPTOR (and anyone else who's seen the previous 2 of these rad as gently caress films)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsSPMDe_YWY

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Thanks for the feedback Safety Dance and 64bit_Dophins. I'm considering a job offer I got for a company based in Atlanta, we're talking numbers right now and I've already been doing my homework as to cost of living and homeownership, etc... But it looks like a pretty solid place to live, 1 stat I read and thought was interesting which makes sense since it's essentially a city in the middle of a forest is at any given time you're within 10 feet of some type of snake.

Instapot chat: We make a ton of stuff in our Instapot, the things that turn out the best are ribs, soups, and tougher cuts of meat since it's essentially a glorified smaller electronic pressure cooker. I tried "an amazingly easy spaghetti Instapot recipe!(tm)" last night and it was hosed from the get-go, every 5 minutes the "burning" indicator would light up and it would kick off. So then I took it out of the Instapot and threw it into a normal pot on the stove and even transferring it, it had that smoke-filled burned smell, had to throw it out this morning after it cooled off.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Rhyno posted:

I pulled a toilet out yesterday so I could finish laying the vinyl flooring. I discovered the floor flange was cracked and a small piece was missing. My initial googling lead me to a fairly complicated repair involving cutting out the old flange (and upper pvc) and then gluing in the new flange all the while being very careful to not break the pipe or cut too deep. I wasn't too enthused about undertaking this task but I steeled myself and started preparing. Was looking at $150+ for parts and a saw that could do the job.

And then I spent more than 3 minutes searching and I discovered they make a repair/replace unit that goes directly over the broken one and fits under the toiler with zero clearance issues. And there's even one with a rubber cone that seals up against the toilet to double the protection the normal wax seal gives. And it's $18. Currently sitting here with a cider and surveying my newly placed flange repair and am pretty thrilled with how easy this was to do.

Finally moving into my gaff at the start of the year I am also finding most diy jobs around the place very simple and easy to do

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Re: instant pot, this beef goulash recipie is one of the first we made when we got our Instant Pot back in 2015. Super easy and surprisingly good for what goes into it, we usually get 2-3 meals out of it.

Best served over homemade spatzle. I usually sear the meat in a cast iron pan on the range, deglaze and transfer everything to the pressure cooker.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

FAO: CAT INTERCEPTOR (and anyone else who's seen the previous 2 of these rad as gently caress films)

Love the Morpheus cameo :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Love the Morpheus cameo :v:

He was in the last one too

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 17, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh man I don't think I've seen 2 then, gonna have to correct that :)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Oh man I don't think I've seen 2 then, gonna have to correct that :)

I'm quite jealous of the fact you're going to see it for the first time. It's preeeeeeeetty good.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm quite jealous of the fact you're going to see it for the first time. It's preeeeeeeetty good.

Looking forward to 3. I should rewatch the first two, because.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Fantastic action movies but my god they could have at least put in more than a token effort to get the Russian right. My wife always points it out when we watch that the subtitles don't match what they're actually saying, atrocious pronunciation, and just WTF with the whole babajaga = bogeyman, better translation is old witch and the whole song he sings is a kids lullabie and not some scary tale :argh:

Still loved those movies and can't wait for the next.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've made 2 "quasi" asian dishes with the instant pot so far and the pressure cooking aspect just destroys the integrity of the vegetables and turns them into a soft mush which is unappetizing to me. I don't really know how to beat that problem since I think it's just inherent to a pressure cooker for anything more than a couple minutes.

I think it would do well with a meat-sauce recipe (think pork chops and mushroom sauce, kind of thing) but I am going to have to keep experimenting with other stuff. It's neat and I suppose does what it does, but I'm not sure if it's going to be a go-to appliance for me for anything in particular unless find some kick rear end recipes for the drat thing.

Geoj posted:

Re: instant pot, this beef goulash recipie is one of the first we made when we got our Instant Pot back in 2015. Super easy and surprisingly good for what goes into it, we usually get 2-3 meals out of it.

Best served over homemade spatzle. I usually sear the meat in a cast iron pan on the range, deglaze and transfer everything to the pressure cooker.
Hmm, I could see that working.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

slidebite posted:

I've made 2 "quasi" asian dishes with the instant pot so far and the pressure cooking aspect just destroys the integrity of the vegetables and turns them into a soft mush which is unappetizing to me. I don't really know how to beat that problem since I think it's just inherent to a pressure cooker for anything more than a couple minutes.

I think it would do well with a meat-sauce recipe (think pork chops and mushroom sauce, kind of thing) but I am going to have to keep experimenting with other stuff. It's neat and I suppose does what it does, but I'm not sure if it's going to be a go-to appliance for me for anything in particular unless find some kick rear end recipes for the drat thing.

Hmm, I could see that working.

We got one a month and change ago. Big, cheap cuts of tough meat are amazing. Meat sauces are amazing. Veggies - unless they're really "tough" to begin with, turn to poo poo. Works well for squashes and the like, though.
My favorite lately is "hunk of beef" - get a big cheap roast, sear the bastard, deglaze with some stock (usually a cup to cup and a half), and pressure-cook for about 40-45 minutes. Then enjoy your tender, delicious meaty goodness. I add various herbs/spices to taste. Worked well when I did that, but cut the pressure short by 5, manually released it, chucked in some cut up potatoes, and pressure cooked for 5 more. Beef still tender, potatoes were great and the whole damned thing was tasty.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Bajaha posted:

Fantastic action movies but my god they could have at least put in more than a token effort to get the Russian right. My wife always points it out when we watch that the subtitles don't match what they're actually saying, atrocious pronunciation, and just WTF with the whole babajaga = bogeyman, better translation is old witch and the whole song he sings is a kids lullabie and not some scary tale :argh:

Haha, that's what happens when you get a Swedish actor to speak English with a Russian accent...

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ole!

:ese:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Olympic Mathlete posted:

WITH A BOOK. WITH A MOTHER loving BOOK

If you aint seen John Wick 1 or 2 you are missing out on two of the legit best action movies ever

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I still need to watch the second one. First one was amazing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I was disappointed with the second one but probably just had unrealistic expectations. I loved the first one.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

slidebite posted:

I was disappointed with the second one but probably just had unrealistic expectations. I loved the first one.
Same. 2 was... not great. But it did setup 3 nicely. So we'll see.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I need to get on watching that series. Was it written in a way that the first was a complete movie and after they found out it was bankable they decided to trilogy it and that's where the 2nd falls short?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yeah, the second Wick wasn't anywhere near as good as the first, but I think it was due to the first movie being so surprisingly awesome, rather than anything letting down the second one.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I just married my brother and his wife. It's an odd day.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

meatpimp posted:

I'm assuming you mean "officiated their wedding", right? Or...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Dagen H posted:

I'm assuming you mean "officiated their wedding", right? Or...

Good correction. Yes, you are correct.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

meatpimp posted:

this is what LIBERALS want!!!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
if he had wall this not happen

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slidebite posted:

It's neat and I suppose does what it does, but I'm not sure if it's going to be a go-to appliance for me for anything in particular unless find some kick rear end recipes for the drat thing.

That's why I went with a good rice cooker over an instant pot, I'm going to use it mainly for rice anyway and apparently instant pots don't cook rice all that well compared to a good Japanese rice cooker. Being able to cook a few one pot recipes is just a bonus really. I'm just stoked that I can perfectly and easily cook any type of rice i want to now.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

keykey posted:

I need to get on watching that series. Was it written in a way that the first was a complete movie and after they found out it was bankable they decided to trilogy it and that's where the 2nd falls short?
Pretty much.

The sad thing is, even without making it a trilogy, they could have done SOOO many different stories in that world and done great things.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

That's why I went with a good rice cooker over an instant pot, I'm going to use it mainly for rice anyway and apparently instant pots don't cook rice all that well compared to a good Japanese rice cooker. Being able to cook a few one pot recipes is just a bonus really. I'm just stoked that I can perfectly and easily cook any type of rice i want to now.

I had fancy rice cookers and just use the instant pot every time now.
I thought it could take the slow cooker off my counter (I had a slow cooker and a rice cooker) but it replaced the rice cooker.
I now have a Zojirushi and a Tiger in the cupboard. The rice comes out crazy fluffy each time, and sushi rice comes out perfect without taking the 40+ mins that the zojirushi took in "Sushi" mode. Im part Japanese, so its not like I haven't eaten my share of rice. The "Rice" button on the instant pot doesn't get used, but really neither do any of those other useless buttons. I just google "Instant pot rice time" every time for the manual high pressure settings.

To each their own I'm sure.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

meatpimp posted:

Can't wait to hear about the honeymoon :laffo:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

blindjoe posted:

I had fancy rice cookers and just use the instant pot every time now.
I thought it could take the slow cooker off my counter (I had a slow cooker and a rice cooker) but it replaced the rice cooker.
I now have a Zojirushi and a Tiger in the cupboard. The rice comes out crazy fluffy each time, and sushi rice comes out perfect without taking the 40+ mins that the zojirushi took in "Sushi" mode. Im part Japanese, so its not like I haven't eaten my share of rice. The "Rice" button on the instant pot doesn't get used, but really neither do any of those other useless buttons. I just google "Instant pot rice time" every time for the manual high pressure settings.

To each their own I'm sure.

Huh that's weird, all the reviews i was reading were saying to get a rice cooker and pass on the insta pot if you cook lots of rice. Maybe they were doing it wrong by pressing the RICE button? Lol.

It's fine because I'm mainly interested in cooking rice and not really worried about making meals in it. I used to cook all my rice in the oven so I'm sure I'll be using a lot less energy too.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Huh that's weird, all the reviews i was reading were saying to get a rice cooker and pass on the insta pot if you cook lots of rice. Maybe they were doing it wrong by pressing the RICE button? Lol.

It's fine because I'm mainly interested in cooking rice and not really worried about making meals in it. I used to cook all my rice in the oven so I'm sure I'll be using a lot less energy too.

I have an instant pot and a good rice cooker. The instant pot makes rice way better (until you get to the pressurized zojirushi model, which is like $350). The rice cooker is however much better at keeping it warm which is nice for me since I can make 3 cups and eat it over the next 2 days without it becoming gross.

I've never used the rice button on my instant pot. https://instantpot.com/how-to-cook-perfect-rice-in-an-electric-pressure-cooker/ is the method I use for mine.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

meatpimp posted:

The fraternal devils threeway.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Username/post combo?

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Minnesota Mixup posted:

The rice cooker is however much better at keeping it warm which is nice for me since I can make 3 cups and eat it over the next 2 days without it becoming gross.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but are you really leaving rice in the keep warm setting for 2 days? I’m just misunderstanding, right?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ilkhan posted:

Same. 2 was... not great. But it did setup 3 nicely. So we'll see.

Nah the second is indeed nearly as good as the first and if anything the visuals and world building are far better. The second does have two things wrong tho the first doesnt -

1) The emotional hook. Wick himself is a REALLY bad man. This is a guy who the underground fears, who has no problem murdering every mother fucker in sight in any gruesome way he can. In a normal movie he would be the ultimate Boss level for the protagonist to dispose of - but in the orginal, we get a glimpse he genuinely wanted out, that he is redeemable and more over, when that dog gets killed the audience wants this otherwise terrible person to rain unholy hell on the Russians. It's a simple setup but drat effective. JW2 really is leaning somewhat on the motivations of JW1 so we're not as fully emotionally invested in the murder spree. That does make a hell of a difference to how we see JW1 and JW2 - we have a real connection to John in 1, we .... kinda dont in 2. Do we really care if he murders nameless gangsta no 287 in 2? No. I think we only really reconnect with John too late when he blows Santino's brains all over the carpet. I dont think the audience connection issue will be there in JW3, we all want him to murder the High Table.

2) JW2 was no longer a surprise. It's a drat good film but it lacks the "HOLY poo poo WHAT THE gently caress DID I WATCH???" of JW1. JW1 came from absolutly nowhere - there were not a hint this masterpiece of revenge was coming and thence when it hit the circuits everyone is WHOA what the gently caress!!!!! That makes a big difference to how you do appreciate JW1. I personally had simply heard that JW1 was something I needed to watch (I think I might have seen a bit of the Red Circle throwdown online), watched it without knowing a drat thing and was gobsmacked. JW2 just doesnt have that surprise factor and despite how good JW2 is - and I think it's a techinally better movie visually - we're not quite as involved.

I dont think JW3 is going to quite have the audience involvement problem of JW3 - We absolutly want him to headshot every mother fucker that comes after him. That hook was superbly done in the last five minutes of JW2

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Dadliest Worrier posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but are you really leaving rice in the keep warm setting for 2 days? I’m just misunderstanding, right?

Yes, 2+ days are no problem. Good rice cookers can easily keep it warm/fresh for many days. They are specifically made to do so.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Maybe. But my girl and I both walked out of two going "why did we just watch this inferior JW1 remake?"

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Yes, 2+ days are no problem. Good rice cookers can easily keep it warm/fresh for many days. They are specifically made to do so.

Maaaaan I'd eat so much more rice that way. I already use my cheapie rice cooker all the time, but if I can have hot-n-ready rice on demand? gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
JW2 is silly fun but not anywhere on the level of the original.