Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

La Brea Carpet posted:

A guy [24m] in my friend group that I slept with months ago wrote me [22f] a long, weird poem about us after seeing me at a party
Several pages back, but OP eventually posted the poem:

quote:

Two birds were flying through the sky, With winds that brought them side by side, So they flew towards the earth to lie, And for a moment slow down time

One bird rustled up his feathers, And sang so the other bird might see, That despite the stormy weather, They could share a time of peace

And looking into her blue eyes, He saw in her beauty nothing lacked, Then came a bright and warm surprise, As he saw her looking back

Each day forth felt a little brighter, Each night a bit more warm, But one day without a warning, The blue eyed bird was gone

He looked up to see her in the sky, Flying away with the new wind, All he could do was wonder why, Because he didn't understand

Perhaps one day she would return, Out from the cloudy skies, As memories returned again, Of their brighter warmer times

Then one day he came home to find, The blue eye bird was there, But no longer did she want his time, No longer did she care

He wished she'd fly away from there, Not because of bad emotion, But because his heart had too much care, For the bird who ceased to see him

Still he hoped on her the sun would shine, And that peace would come around, That no harm would come in day or night, To the blue eyed bird he'd found

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ParserGirl posted:

She should have waited to tell her son until the day his dad actually showed up at the door with the tickets and his luggage.

I'm pretty sure dear ol' dad is the one who told him.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Haifisch posted:

I've seen some bad poetry in my time, but this poo poo is like, viscerally bad

Why did I read this. What did I think was going to happen

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Play posted:

buy a wig

quote:

The only thing I can think to do is to just wear my wigs till it grows out

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Haifisch posted:

It's not even laughably terrible. It's just pathetic and sad

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

It's not even laughably terrible. It's just pathetic and sad

I think it’s all of those things? but I’m a known dick about that kind of “poem.”

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

yes your reputation precedes you i have heard of tales of burial's repudiation of mediocre poetry

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

big trivia FAIL posted:

yes your reputation precedes you i have heard of tales of burial's repudiation of mediocre poetry

Fine. I’m an unknown dick. I’m just as OK with that. :colbert:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The poem is way better than I was hoping for, unfortunately.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

cumshitter posted:

I've had mine bleached so much that's it's airport tarmac white. I don't even know what my butthole looks like anymore because it is reflects all light. Lovers have described it as "like a mirror, but not, and I can vaguely see the face of God in it."

*lurking in the corner of a dark tavern with haunting gaze and a tankard of ale"

"Aye, I saw something in that arsehole to be sure. But it weren't no god."

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sagebrush posted:

Uhh 60ml is a quarter cup, lol
i know it is, i'm like an old school chemist with this poo poo.

mouth pipet and everything.

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

Straight White Shark posted:

However, last month I had a conversation with Peter and he advised that he’s bought the flights/accommodation/tickets totaling around $3,600USD,

I wish I had the money to take him to Disneyland myself. But I’ve had to accept that is not the case so I desperately need advice. How do I deal with Peter? How do I help my son get through this?

I mean probably if you asked him for the tickets it would turn out he was lying and never bought them, and "single mom" doesn't seem like a good fit for "can get immediate time off work for an impromptu vacation", but it seems like it'd be worth a try

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
i don't think she's stupid enough to believe for a single second that it would be worth asking him, come on

e: and an airline ticket in his name is useless to her

InediblePenguin fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 18, 2019

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Would be a decent poo poo stirring move to call him out to prove that he bought them.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
My [M 30s] wife [F 20s] put an ingredient she knows I can't eat into a soup today.

quote:

Sort of unsure as to how to approach this.

I've had GERD and LPR (chronic acid reflux due to hypotensive LES) for over 3 years. I've got one more test to complete before being eligible for surgery. In the meantime, I've been trying my very best to manage this horrible condition with lifestyle and diet modifications.

There are three main things I can't consume: tomatoes, garlic, and lemon. My symptoms go crazy if I eat any amount of these.

I genuinely respect my wife for putting up with my tomato and garlic free cooking and appreciate that she tries to keep it in mind if she's cooking for all of us (our son included). Often she'll make something for herself that includes garlic and/or tomatoes, so I don't feel so bad.

In any case, I have been managing quite well by eliminating these ingredients, so it's frustrating if I ever do have a bad flare up, like I am currently. So, just a few minutes ago I told my wife that my reflux hasn't been this bad in a long time. After another minute or so she said "oh, it is probably that garlic I put in the soup".

I'm not being a sook, nor as reddit likes to say "butt hurt". I'm not looking for sympathy. I'm curious as to what others would do in my shoes. Cheers.

EDIT: I asked her why she did it. She admitted that she believes people are "psychologically influenced by what they know/don't know about what they eat". She apologized and said she felt bad. I'm a bit shook, but otherwise fine, and the flare up symptoms (burning, mucus, regurgitation, and aspiration through right ear) have dissipated after having skipped supper and taken some extra Gaviscon Advance. Thanks for your concerns!

EDIT 2: Wow, the response to this was unexpected and rather alarming. As I sit here early the next morning reading your comments with a full-feeling head and ears that are ringing as though I went to a heavy metal concert last night (my reflux causes tinnitus), a lot of them are really opening my eyes to the dynamics of my relationship with my wife. The same mentality has prevailed in other very important areas of our life, and the fact that I've pointed it out before to no avail is, well, case in point. Thanks again.

tl;dr: My wife put garlic in a soup she made. She knows I can't eat garlic.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Turtlicious posted:

during a beej i just swallow them. im already about to swallow like 4tbsp of cum who am I fronting for?

I thought the average was six. This is very disturbing.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

No garlic, are we sure this dude isn't already dead and posting from hell?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"aspiration through right ear"

:gonk:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Haifisch posted:

My [M 30s] wife [F 20s] put an ingredient she knows I can't eat into a soup today.

jesus man you can't eat tomatoes and garlic.

what kind of made up disease is this?

is it fibromyalgia of the stomach?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Son’s (8M) father (29M) backed out of a promised Disneyland trip. Son is absolutely heartbroken. What do I do?

Text back that you told your son that he would "make it up to him" by paying his way through college.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Anne Whateley posted:

Play posted:
buy a wig
quote:
The only thing I can think to do is to just wear my wigs till it grows out

fine im changing my advice. find your old hair in the garbage and tape it back on

kimbo305 posted:

The poem is way better than I was hoping for, unfortunately.

same. very disappointing. she described it like "a poem a child would write" so I was really expecting some masterpiece of autistic relationship poetry. this isn't good or bad enough to get excited about. it just exists

JFairfax posted:

what kind of made up disease is this?

its real, at least GERD is. my friend gets symptoms similar to a heart attack when it flares up. And he's completely quit drinking which is how I know it's real as he was a heavy and enthusiastic drinker his whole life and nothing but intense, constant pain could've changed that

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I don’t think the person who got beat by the 10 year old said they were a man. I guess they could be a woman, which would make their weight and lack of upper body strength more understandable. You should still be able to beat a 10 year old though, that’s kind of sad. She/he needs to hit the gym. And also consume a few more calories.

INCORRECT, when I said I weighed more and was shorter and was still a skeleton, I happened to still have a vagina! Goddamn, what do you think women consist of, feathers and plastic straws?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Midnight Voyager posted:

INCORRECT, when I said I weighed more and was shorter and was still a skeleton, I happened to still have a vagina! Goddamn, what do you think women consist of, feathers and plastic straws?

Resentment and jealousy, IME

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Midnight Voyager posted:

I weigh about what that poster does and I’m about six inches shorter, so I’m aware of how skeletal someone like that would look. I’m saying a woman that height who weighs 110 is still less weird than a man of the same height/weight. Maybe the OP is a runway model and she spends so much money on coke she doesn’t have any left to buy food :(

Or maybe it was a typo but I prefer my version.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
My (28f) brother (32m) freaked out because my fiance brought vegan food for Thanksgiving. He's threatening not to come if it happens again?

quote:

Right, so this is the dumbest thing I've ever dealt with in my life. I can't believe my older brother, Rick, is acting like this.

I've been with my fiance for three years, but this was the first time we were able to bring him up for a family function. We flew in for Thanksgiving, and now we're coming up for Christmas as well.

Henry, my fiance, is vegan. I'm not. It's never been an issue for us at all. It wasn't an issue for my parents, either. Henry asked what we could make, and my Dad assigned him mashed potatos and brussels sprouts. We still had a zillion kinds of meat and other sides. The rolls were also vegan, but they would have been anyway. They always are, it's just the recipe we use.

Everything was fine until Rick noticed, near the end of the meal, that Henry was eating the mashed potato and roll. Rick asked him if he wasn't vegan anymore, and Henry said "Oh, the mashed potatoes are vegan."

Rick was visibly upset (despite that he ate a huge serving of them and said they were good). But he didn't say anything. The night ended, all was well, and when we got back home, I had an email from Rick.

He had addressed it to be, but added everyone in the family's email as well. Except for Henry's. He said that it was nice that Henry was vegan and all, but that he refuses to accept being preached to, he doesn't like having his judgmental choices brought up at dinner, it was unacceptable that we would "pick the mashed potatoes" and expect everyone to be fine with it, etc etc etc.

I haven't shown Henry and I don't really want to. But Christmas is coming up, and Rick has made it clear that he doesn't want to be around if Henry will be "imposing" his lifestyle on us anymore.

My parents told me to work it out between the two of us.

I shot back an email saying that Henry didn't do anything wrong, the subject of him being vegan only came up because he (Rick) asked him about it, and that we would be coming.

Now I'm being accused of "ruining" Christmas with our "ridiculous lifestyle".

I have NO idea what to do. What do I do?

tl;dr: Fiance is vegan, we made mashed potato for thanksgiving dinner. Brother didn't know until way after he ate a huge serving of them. He says he isn't coming to Christmas if we're going to "impose" our lifestyle on him now. And that I've ruined Christmas. What do I dO?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
pretty sure he's gay now via the process of "vegan transference", sometimes known as "rear end to mouth"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Haifisch posted:

My (28f) brother (32m) freaked out because my fiance brought vegan food for Thanksgiving. He's threatening not to come if it happens again?

Christ, who gets whiny about vegan mashed potatoes? Maybe if they sucked, but he obviously didn't mind them before.

I just imagine the brother asking if the fiance was still vegan in the smarmiest way possible. "Heyyyy, did you remember how great butter tastes, marg-boy? :smuggo:"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Ask your brother to lower his soy intake, he seems really emotional lately.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Cum in the potatoes. It satisfies both sides ethical philosophies.

-Centrism

dudeness fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 18, 2019

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Haifisch posted:

this is what happens when you name your kid rick

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Play posted:

pretty sure he's gay now via the process of "vegan transference", sometimes known as "rear end to mouth"

*waves gay tricorder very gaily, reads screen, nods sagely*

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Haifisch posted:

Ah, so this comes up a lot in these kind of relationships. The issue here isn't necessarily Henry, but it does involve him. You see, your brother feels like he's had his masculinity drained. When he saw Henry place those potatoes in his luscious mouth, he became enamored with him. Confused even. It's okay. It happens to everyone that sees a vegan eat food. Simple sexual envy is all it is. I'm afraid, though, that if you want your brother to come to terms with this that Henry needs to gently caress him while shoving his head into a bowl of those vegan potatoes. Only then can Rick come to terms with this confusing experience.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for wanting to make extra money doing DoorDash when my girlfriend doesn’t want me to.

I (18M) recently signed up for the food delivery service door dash and I told my girlfriend that I was going to do it and she instantly said no. I asked why and her only reason was “I can’t tell you how many time I’ve answered the door half naked” (after a shower with a towel). Basically saying she’s afraid I’m just gonna get showered in hot babes on my deliveries. I told her that it’s just a job and nothing more because that’s literally all it is.

I’m still planning to go through with it because her reasoning seems a bit jealously ridden and possessive but I don’t know if this is disrespectful to her opinion in some way

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Do you think hes yet thought through the implications of what his girlfriend said or do we need to get him on a boat in the middle of the ocean

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

QuarkJets posted:

No garlic, are we sure this dude isn't already dead and posting from hell?

If I eat roasted garlic I get a horrible migraine. It's the worst trigger besides fluorescent lights. Raw garlic can do it if I eat too much. I can eat a couple cloves cooked in sauce and be fine. My mom's Italian, and garlic is one of my favorite foods. I also can't do pork, lime, some corn meal, dark liquor or black tea because of tannin I guess, celery, and I'm allergic to crab. Most of that I never liked much to begin with, but the garlic and crab sucks. I know someone allergic to everything in the nightshade family and then a few other things though so at least I can still eat all my favorite vegetables without dying.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for wanting to make extra money doing DoorDash when my girlfriend doesn’t want me to.

I (18M) recently signed up for the food delivery service door dash and I told my girlfriend that I was going to do it and she instantly said no. I asked why and her only reason was “I can’t tell you how many time I’ve answered the door half naked” (after a shower with a towel). Basically saying she’s afraid I’m just gonna get showered in hot babes on my deliveries. I told her that it’s just a job and nothing more because that’s literally all it is.

I’m still planning to go through with it because her reasoning seems a bit jealously ridden and possessive but I don’t know if this is disrespectful to her opinion in some way

I read the title assuming it was gonna be an issue of availability, like dude picking up a side job that sucks up all the free hours of their relationship. Read the two sentence post and concluded she was cheating on him.

Wild ride.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Play posted:

What I understand from this is that you either don't know many 24 year olds or you are 24 years old. This world contains an infinite number of failson/faildaughter loser sponges who don't want to work and are always the victim

What’s wrong with not wanting to work?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

El_Elegante posted:

*waves gay tricorder very gaily, reads screen, nods sagely*

The term is obviously gaydar

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Palemdromes posted:

What’s wrong with not wanting to work?

Because most people don't have the finances to support themselves & their lifestyle without a job, and end up mooching off others who may end up resenting the fact that they're subsidising the lifestyle of someone who clearly doesn't respect the work they put in for that money.

If you don't want to work and can support yourself, good for you! Go nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

bell jar posted:

Because most people don't have the finances to support themselves & their lifestyle without a job, and end up mooching off others who may end up resenting the fact that they're subsidising the lifestyle of someone who clearly doesn't respect the work they put in for that money.

If you don't want to work and can support yourself, good for you! Go nuts

And many of the people who would have the finances to support themselves without working would generally fall into the worst categories of upper class parasites who contribute nothing to society while actively consuming its labor.