Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
rip to all your alls night - https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/frankenferrari-v12-ferrari-308/148959/page1/

Detailed build threads pinned over here http://forum.gemellocattivo.com/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=c77c703b19f3ea99990557a914f9b48c

Cliffs: Ferrari 308 with a V12 built in a garage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Hoooooly poo poo. We need to step up our game in AI.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

quote:

I haven't posted it yet but I wrote the ecu program that's running the engine so there's an awful lot of new and untested going on all at once.....

:wtc:

The more I read the more I :wtf:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

McTinkerson posted:

Hoooooly poo poo. We need to step up our game in AI.

You think you're the star in your own story and then one day you find out you're just a bit player in someone else's.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ummmm......speechless.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

1984 Peugeot Quasar concept, basically the Group B 205 setup in a different shape with a 600hp turbo 4 banger driving all 4 wheels.

I'd just like to note I love how the wiper sits on the bodywork rather than the screen itself.

Looks at the front... Classy

Looks at the back... But not to classy to loving party!

Seriously though I need this in my life.

Edit: looks at the interior and slams a cassette of carpenter Brut in the dash and peels out of the garage.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
this thread is killing it. First the Quasar now this FrankenFerrari :eyepop:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

honda whisperer posted:

Edit: looks at the interior and slams a cassette of carpenter Brut in the dash and peels out of the garage.

The interior is my favourite bit, just loving LOOK at it. GPS on the CRT and all stereo controls on the passenger side which means you basically need someone sat there to run sound and just how baller an existence is that?

...when you have the stereo blasting and are cruising the valley of lasers...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Did he..... do to the block what I think he did?!?!

JFC he resized the goddamn engine to make it fit.

I had no loving idea you could do half the poo poo he did. Who the hell is this lunatic?!?!?!

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I was pretty surprised at what he was doing, but what I don’t know would fill several tomes.

If seasoned international rally mechanic Cat Interceptor is surprised then boy howdy that must be something!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

It's like a reverse project Binky with the engine being modified to fit the car.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This is what happens when you let a machinist near a disassembled car. They get ideas.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It took me a while to digest that thread. Wow.

I'm now looking at Project Binky wondering if we can somehow get them all together...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Wow, they were not loving around when it came to deciding on the display text size.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

This is what happens when you let a machinist near a disassembled car. They get ideas.

(looks at engine) "Hey, it's just metal."
(looks at ECU) "That's just thinking metal."

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Bajaha posted:

It's like a reverse project Binky with the engine being modified to fit the car.

It's almost like the 308 shell is not worthy of the engine at this point, it should be going in a F40

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Good loving Lord he put 4-valve heads on a 2-valve block, which requires modifying pretty much everything - bolt holes, coolant and oil passages, and custom cams. And the engine and heads came from a junkyard. To quote one of the comments in the thread:

bobzilla posted:

Dude.... I don't know what junkyards you frequent but I never see those items in the ones I go to!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Did he..... do to the block what I think he did?!?!

JFC he resized the goddamn engine to make it fit.

I had no loving idea you could do half the poo poo he did. Who the hell is this lunatic?!?!?!

Oh, my - I haven't gotten that far yet.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's almost like the 308 shell is not worthy of the engine at this point, it should be going in a F40

Except the 308 looks miles better than an F40.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Wow, they were not loving around when it came to deciding on the display text size.

I like it.

edit: holy poo poo, I forgot that the Testarossa he got the heads off of was a flat-12. He put those on a V-12. No wonder nothing was in the right place. Also, he broke into the water jacket relocating the intake valves - and found a TIG torch small enough to weld it back up through the port. drat.

edit2: it just keeps going. I feel so unimaginably inadequate now.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 18, 2019

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
My dad is a master welder and machinist and this is definitely the kind of poo poo he gets up to, only his preferred medium is antique tractors not Italian exotics.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Almost as expensive sometimes.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Huge_Midget posted:

My dad is a master welder and machinist and this is definitely the kind of poo poo he gets up to, only his preferred medium is antique tractors not Italian exotics.

You say tomato, I say Lamborghini.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

You say tomato, I say Lamborghini.
lmao

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

...when you have the stereo blasting and are cruising the valley of lasers...

oh my loving god i need this as a giant poster its incredible

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

oh my loving god i need this as a giant poster its incredible

A fuckin' wall mural is what it needs to be.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Almost as expensive sometimes.

Actually far more expensive when you consider if you put $100k into restoring a $100k classic supercar, it's probably worth close to $200k.

If you put $25k into restoring a $5k tractor, it's now worth $5,100.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Except the 308 looks miles better than an F40.

Lol wat. I used to think you were one of the sane ones around here, not so sure anymore :v:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
just nothing but an intense guitar solo the whole time you are cruising laser valley at mach two

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Lol wat. I used to think you were one of the sane ones around here, not so sure anymore :v:

is the joke here that you confused an F40 with the testarossa?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
As long as the headlights are off the F40 is gorgeous

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

really if you're looking at an F40 you're doing it wrong anyways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YPabCzxMXM

I swear this is a cut down version, I remember seeing a longer clip a billion years ago but it appears to have been wiped off the internet.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 18, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KakerMix posted:

As long as the headlights are off the F40 is gorgeous

That's why the LM version of it is the one. :circlefap:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
god drat its like a dressed up version of baby mes wall poster

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

Actually far more expensive when you consider if you put $100k into restoring a $100k classic supercar, it's probably worth close to $200k.

If you put $25k into restoring a $5k tractor, it's now worth $5,100.

Truth.

Oh, please don't think that. You're going to ruin my rep as an unreasonable old guy.
Second: I'm old. 308s were THE poo poo when I was young, and the F40, while certainly not unattractive, is clearly... not a 308. Actually, a lot of the upper body lines are remarkably similar. It's just a little too '90s, maybe a little too "racecar" for me. This is in no way to denigrate the F40's performance, and the absolute bonkers-ness of what it actually is. I'm talking purely aesthetics.
I mean, if you want to talk ultimate Ferrari appearance, you start with the 1965 250 GTO.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That's why the LM version of it is the one. :circlefap:

I... may be revising my opinion.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
gonna have to say.

whats with the 3rd set of side vents?

the paint is magical but

i understand the second side vent for brake calipers

the third though?

with those huge fuckin monster tires?

smart car guys help me out

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

gonna have to say.

whats with the 3rd set of side vents?

the paint is magical but

i understand the second side vent for brake calipers

the third though?

Oil coolers, I think.

edit: BTW, I'm on page 7 of the V12 308 thread, and the dude is building a water pump. Because he's running the dry-sump return pump off of where the water pump used to be. This is after... FFS, go look yourself. There's just too much.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
hes not kidding. its just humbling as gently caress

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Oil coolers, I think.

edit: BTW, I'm on page 7 of the V12 308 thread, and the dude is building a water pump. Because he's running the dry-sump return pump off of where the water pump used to be. This is after... FFS, go look yourself. There's just too much.

As someone on page 2

Looooooooooool

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Seat Safety Switch posted:

(looks at engine) "Hey, it's just metal."
(looks at ECU) "That's just thinking metal."

Yeah I'd like to point out that utter maniac not only did thatt gobsmacking list of things to that engine (You could write pages and STILL not do that insanity justice) but he wrote his own ECU code. Becuase nothing out there supported the engine and car - ok yeah fine sure there's nothing off the shelf that would be compatible with his swap but still......

I dont think he even used the existing open source ECU projects as a basis. gently caress me thats impressive

quote:

the third though?

Oil coolers.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Oh, please don't think that. You're going to ruin my rep as an unreasonable old guy.
Second: I'm old. 308s were THE poo poo when I was young, and the F40, while certainly not unattractive, is clearly... not a 308. Actually, a lot of the upper body lines are remarkably similar. It's just a little too '90s, maybe a little too "racecar" for me. This is in no way to denigrate the F40's performance, and the absolute bonkers-ness of what it actually is. I'm talking purely aesthetics.
I mean, if you want to talk ultimate Ferrari appearance, you start with the 1965 250 GTO.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an old guy too and think the pinnacle of Ferrari design, and my all time favorite is the Daytona Spyder.

Also the 288 GTO is better than the 250 :colbert:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
yall forgetting the real mvp

the fiat multipla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

sneakyfrog posted:

It's the race version.

There's also a 3rd, unofficial version called the competizione.