Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Nixon surviving impeachment was mathematically impossible. Trump? I don't know. The Senate just failed to preserve a sanctions regimen in a move that makes them all look like Russian toadies.

That's because the turtle's a Putin stooge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

enraged_camel posted:

I should clarify I don't expect Donald to be removed from office, or to resign, unless this newest Cohen story is just the tip of the iceberg.

By extension do you mean that he will be removed from office or resign if this is just the tip? I'm not seeing it, personally. No matter how bad it gets the MAGA redhat death cult will never give up their angry, bigoted id given form. He's letting them indulge their desire to be loud and proud about how much they hate the "Other". They can never let that go, ever.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

enraged_camel posted:

I should clarify I don't expect Donald to be removed from office, or to resign, unless this newest Cohen story is just the tip of the iceberg.

we both know this is just the tip of the ice berg for his corrupt bullshit.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

By extension do you mean that he will be removed from office or resign if this is just the tip? I'm not seeing it, personally. No matter how bad it gets the MAGA redhat death cult will never give up their angry, bigoted id given form. He's letting them indulge their desire to be loud and proud about how much they hate the "Other". They can never let that go, ever.

Even Nixon had 20-22% support at the time he resigned.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Charlz Guybon posted:

Maybe you should have looked into that before nominating him :shrug:

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1086046912363614210

According to Barr, he had an interview with Trump where he was asked about Mueller... so either he didn't mention their relationship (which sounds unlikely as he'd want to highlight it to get the job) or Frump just forgot it immediately.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Speaking of Barr, that Buzzfeed article was timed well

https://twitter.com/i/status/1086114743922905089

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
The timing on that questioning from multiple different people, in retrospect, seems very fortuitous.

mobby_6kl posted:

According to Barr, he had an interview with Trump where he was asked about Mueller... so either he didn't mention their relationship (which sounds unlikely as he'd want to highlight it to get the job) or Frump just forgot it immediately.

I suspect that Barr might have referred to Mueller by his title 'former director' or in some way other than simply saying "Robert Mueller the 3rd' and Trump being Trump and most likely having no idea that Mueller was the director of the FBI for a decade had no idea what was being said. Or perhaps Trump was just spacing out because no one had said his name in the last 30 seconds as he is known to do consistently.

A lot of how Trump has reacted to Mueller over the last year has seemed to suggest that Trump has literally no clue who Mueller is or was, nor that he is quite literally one of the most respected and revered figures in American law enforcement, even among people who otherwise don't care for law enforcement.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 18, 2019

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The timing on that questioning from multiple different people, in retrospect, seems very fortuitous.

A lot of how Trump has reacted to Mueller over the last year has seemed to suggest that Trump has literally no clue who Mueller is or was, nor that he is quite literally one of the most respected and revered figures in American law enforcement, even among people who otherwise don't care for law enforcement.

Including Lindsey, LMAO

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1086124446258221058

Also, about Mueller, I recently learned he was the one who solved the Lockerbie bombing case. Read up on it, the investigation was ridiculously thorough.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Charlz Guybon posted:

Including Lindsey, LMAO

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1086124446258221058

Also, about Mueller, I recently learned he was the one who solved the Lockerbie bombing case. Read up on it, the investigation was ridiculously thorough.

Yeah, I tried above, but I don't even know how to do justice to Mueller's reputation as an investigator. He was the guy you went to when you wanted the absolute bottom of something dug down to. In private practice, after his directorship was over, his reputation remained the same: a consummate professional who didn't care who was burned when he followed an investigation to wherever it led.

Given the timing of this Barr stuff, it seems entirely possible that this was leaked to a few congresspeople as well as reporters.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1086230807189090304

Barely any of the Cohen perjury news has made air on Fox News. They're literally in a different reality.

https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1086221279777177600

https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1086233143437389825

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Nice

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1086252366041559040

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

If they sue over this... :suspense:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

You're probably right, but I've got to think that there have to be congressional Republicans who are just tired of Trump blowing up legislative deals and making the party look like laughing stocks who are thinking, "You know, Pence is nice and boring. If he's in there, I'll at least be able to pick up the paper without flinching."

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Trump gets compared to Nixon often, but how does Pence compare to Ford?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

then they will scream and bitch and yell impotently. The GOP is probably hurt nationally at this point and if trump keeps it up, i doubt they will win another presidential election for another decade.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yeah, I tried above, but I don't even know how to do justice to Mueller's reputation as an investigator. He was the guy you went to when you wanted the absolute bottom of something dug down to. In private practice, after his directorship was over, his reputation remained the same: a consummate professional who didn't care who was burned when he followed an investigation to wherever it led.

Given the timing of this Barr stuff, it seems entirely possible that this was leaked to a few congresspeople as well as reporters.

yeah. mueller has issues as a conservative but but i think the :nothingmatters: shitheads who act like he will save Trump are morons. this dude will destroy trump if he is allowed

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

superjew posted:

Trump gets compared to Nixon often, but how does Pence compare to Ford?

Pence would be Spiro Agnew, very different people but same milquetoast personality type.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

then they will scream and bitch and yell impotently. The GOP is probably hurt nationally at this point and if trump keeps it up, i doubt they will win another presidential election for another decade.

I don't see the GOP winning another presidential election essentially ever, frankly.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I don't see the GOP winning another presidential election essentially ever, frankly.

maybe, but i wouldnt go that far. i think for the medium term, the party is hosed though.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Silver2195 posted:

I wish I was still capable of your optimism.

People are stupid, and Democrats are babykillers who hate freedom.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Silver2195 posted:

Posting on SA probably isn't the best way to spend your precious few minutes in the time vortex, but when you get back to 2007 you should totally see No County for Old Men and There Will Be Blood in theaters while you have the chance

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
He probably can't actually do this with federal funds, but if there's one thing that Newsom is good at, it's getting out over his skis in ways that appeal to his base. In 2004, when he was mayor of SF, he ordered the county clerk (SF is a coterminous city-county) to issue marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples, in violation of the then-current state law. The Supreme Court of California ended up annulling those marriages for being illegal, but it cost Newsom nothing and won him a lot of support in the gay community.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

He probably can't actually do this with federal funds, but if there's one thing that Newsom is good at, it's getting out over his skis in ways that appeal to his base. In 2004, when he was mayor of SF, he ordered the county clerk (SF is a coterminous city-county) to issue marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples, in violation of the then-current state law. The Supreme Court of California ended up annulling those marriages for being illegal, but it cost Newsom nothing and won him a lot of support in the gay community.

This one is super great from an accounting standpoint, too.

So a if a federal worker, working unpaid, gets a grand in unemployment, that has to be repaid to the unemployment office when they get backpaid after the shutdown ends.

The correct way to handle this is to withhold a grand from that paycheck, and send that to to the unemployment fund. It will have 0 net effect on the budget aside from some lost interest. It's a giant paperwork mess because they're not going to do it correctly, but in a sane and just world this would be fine.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

DoombatINC posted:

Posting on SA probably isn't the best way to spend your precious few minutes in the time vortex, but when you get back to 2007 you should totally see No County for Old Men and There Will Be Blood in theaters while you have the chance

And tell Lowtax to watch his back.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Relentless posted:

This one is super great from an accounting standpoint, too.

So a if a federal worker, working unpaid, gets a grand in unemployment, that has to be repaid to the unemployment office when they get backpaid after the shutdown ends.

The correct way to handle this is to withhold a grand from that paycheck, and send that to to the unemployment fund. It will have 0 net effect on the budget aside from some lost interest. It's a giant paperwork mess because they're not going to do it correctly, but in a sane and just world this would be fine.
Unfortunately the typical view in this country is something like "People collecting unemployment are lazy people stealing from the government so you have to make it as hard to collect as possible" (even though in reality it's paid for by people's previous employers).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Silver2195 posted:

Haha didn't we all think this after W?

Charlz Guybon posted:

Can you recommend an article or a book? I read something about it years ago but hardly remember any details sadly.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

I kind of assumed that Fox news would need some kind of rationalization for its viewers to regurgitate to their more liberal family members and co-workers. But maybe we're past that point and I honestly don't even know how often conservatives and liberals casually associate to argue about politics any more in the real world.

I look forward to reaching a point where media has become so divided that liberals and conservatives have entirely different news cycles occurring simultaneously and the 'national media' stops existing even as a vague residual concept.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Helsing posted:

I kind of assumed that Fox news would need some kind of rationalization for its viewers to regurgitate to their more liberal family members and co-workers. But maybe we're past that point and I honestly don't even know how often conservatives and liberals casually associate to argue about politics any more in the real world.

I look forward to reaching a point where media has become so divided that liberals and conservatives have entirely different news cycles occurring simultaneously and the 'national media' stops existing even as a vague residual concept.

At this point all they need to regurgitate are things like “fake news”, specifics don’t matter any more. Occasionally some new talking point may crop up, but they don’t need to be especially applicable to a given situation, not like logic points count for anything.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask this in: would any of you newshounds mind taking a stab at forecasting outcomes for how this shutdown could end? We seem to be in pretty uncharted territory and I know nobody knows what will happen next, but I'd love some "expert" opinions on what could happen next. Or any opinions at all, really.

My feeling: every day it seems more and more like it will take actual riots in the streets to force the Democrats' hands. Trump will never cave because he would gladly watch the country burn, he wouldn't care even if the pitchforks were at the White House gates. Either the Democrats give in or its martial law. Is this just crazy talk?

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's a little more complicated than that.

When Newsom got in front of the issue and started issuing marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples, he asserted that the California law barring them was unenforceable under the California Constitution. The California Supreme Court found that Newsom technically had overstepped his authority as a mayor to make that call, because the issue had to be decided by a court challenge in a properly brought case by a plaintiff affected by the law. Soon after, that case got to the Court and the Court declared that the state law barring gay marriage violated the California Constitution and was thus unenforceable. So Newsom was right all along.

So the chuds put Proposition 8, a gay marriage ban, on the ballot and it passed (thanks to a low turnout and and huge influx of money by the Mormon church). This put the gay marriage ban directly into the California Constitution, and the California Supreme Court had to reverse its prior decision. But all the prior gay marriages remained valid.

Then the gay marriage ban got struck down by the federal courts applying federal law, and the federal Defense of Marriage Act got struck down and many other states were coming aboard the gay marriage bandwagon.

I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that Newsom deserves credit for being maybe the single biggest catalyst in the chain of events that ultimately led to the legalization of gay marriage across the country.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

friendly 2 da void posted:

Apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask this in: would any of you newshounds mind taking a stab at forecasting outcomes for how this shutdown could end? We seem to be in pretty uncharted territory and I know nobody knows what will happen next, but I'd love some "expert" opinions on what could happen next. Or any opinions at all, really.

My feeling: every day it seems more and more like it will take actual riots in the streets to force the Democrats' hands. Trump will never cave because he would gladly watch the country burn, he wouldn't care even if the pitchforks were at the White House gates. Either the Democrats give in or its martial law. Is this just crazy talk?

the democrats have no reason to cave while trump's polling gets worse. the only reason the democrats would cave is to temporarily reopen the government, but when you submit to trump's ultimatum you're teaching him that holding the country hostage is an effective tactic. so we have to swallow the short term pain to prevent more long term pain. trump has put himself in the position where either the economy or his will breaks first, which is terrifying, but it is his choice and he bears the responsiblity for it

the only reason trump still has republican support is because of his base, and how it terrifies the republicans. but trumps numbers are getting worse. if his base starts to break up then he'll be ditched by the republican party, because they don't really like the guy, he's a liability. it's just a question of when he's a big enough liability to get them to finally find their spines and break ranks

probably the republicans will break first and abandon trump, while the dems have a history of giving in it's also clear that trump will just happily gently caress them over even if they give him what he wants, and polls support the democrats so far in terms of both blaming trump as well as supporting the necessity of not caving just to get government working again

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 18, 2019

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

predicto posted:

It's a little more complicated than that.

When Newsom got in front of the issue and started issuing marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples, he asserted that the California law barring them was unenforceable under the California Constitution. The California Supreme Court found that Newsom technically had overstepped his authority as a mayor to make that call, because the issue had to be decided by a court challenge in a properly brought case by a plaintiff affected by the law. Soon after, that case got to the Court and the Court declared that the state law barring gay marriage violated the California Constitution and was thus unenforceable. So Newsom was right all along.

So the chuds put Proposition 8, a gay marriage ban, on the ballot and it passed (thanks to a low turnout and and huge influx of money by the Mormon church). This put the gay marriage ban directly into the California Constitution, and the California Supreme Court had to reverse its prior decision. But all the prior gay marriages remained valid.

Then the gay marriage ban got struck down by the federal courts applying federal law, and the federal Defense of Marriage Act got struck down and many other states were coming aboard the gay marriage bandwagon.

I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that Newsom deserves credit for being maybe the single biggest catalyst in the chain of events that ultimately led to the legalization of gay marriage across the country.

This actually brings up an interesting cross section with Newsom's unemployment plan and the indentured servitude case making it's way through the courts.

It's unlikely it will work, but denying unemployment to people not being paid closes off an avenue of "It's not indentured servitude".

You're missing the lynchpin actually responsible for the shutdown at the moment: Mitch "Fuckface McTurtlebitch" McConnell is preventing any budget from being voted on. There is a passed bill with the Democrats that includes a billion and change for the wall out there. He could rally his team, pass a budget, wait Trump out 2 weeks to force it through, claim victory over the Dems and Trump as the adult in the room.

But Bitch McSquirtle isn't willing to go up against Trump and his rabid base, so here we are. Something will have to give to where there's a political benefit that outweighs Trump's threats. I'm not sure if that's Trump's falling poll numbers, angry red voters back home losing SNAP benefits or what, but neither the Dems or Trump have any reason to give in right now.

//fake edit

I have not included several other fun Chinless Mitch nicknames for brevity.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Trump has many reasons not to cave: spite, needing a "win" politically over newly resurfaced opposition, and a White House staff full of people who would actually be happy if a bunch of federal employees quit. Remember this is a party that wants to see government fail, so that their responsibilities can be farmed out to private entities. Having 800,000 people quit or otherwise lose their jobs would be good news for Trump's base.

This can end with poll numbers getting so bad that Congress pushes through a package with veto-proof majorities, but to get to that point means the Republican Party is unpopular enough to be dead in the water for at least an entire election cycle, especially since Trump and his chuds will be constantly spewing spittle at the "traitors" that reopened the government, all while simultaneously declaring victory in the fight based on completely fictional results. That's a moment Republicans don't have the guts to reach, so that's extremely unlikely.

This can also end with Trump's impeachment, but that has similarly low odds of occurrence for the same reasons, even with mounting evidence that Trump personally committed perhaps dozens of federal crimes.

Barring either of those two events, the government will remain unfunded for an extended period of time.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The other option is one I've seen some Republicans float, which is that a funding bill gets passed without the wall, and then Trump tries to use some sort of emergency powers to build it. I dont k ow that that'll work for him, but...

In some ways, the shutdown is good for Trump in the short term, because it takes attention away from the investigation about him. Part of me wonders of a lot of Trump's intrangisence is just to bury the news cycle with so much, they cant cover the various Trump scandal news. The other part of me says that Trump just isnt that smart.

We're coming up on a bunch of deadlines and funding cutoffs when we hit a month. February SNAP/foodstamps managed to go out because they pushed the money out early, so that's good, at least. The federal court system is finding itself constrained, so that civil cases are pretty much reminding to a halt, and their ability to process criminal cases have been effected. TSA and air traffic controllers continue to go unpaid, which is increasing absenteeism and leading to people quitting. Stuff is bad and it's getting worse.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Has anybody seen this?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/is-a-serial-killer-gang-murdering-young-men-across-the-us?ref=home

I find it hard to believe it's a "gang" with as many people in it spread across the country as these two guys are claiming, but I've also heard of several of these cases, including one in the city I live in, where the body was not decomposed enough to have been in the water as long as the person had been missing. I really have no idea what to believe but it is super interesting.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

D-Pad posted:

Has anybody seen this?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/is-a-serial-killer-gang-murdering-young-men-across-the-us?ref=home

I find it hard to believe it's a "gang" with as many people in it spread across the country as these two guys are claiming, but I've also heard of several of these cases, including one in the city I live in, where the body was not decomposed enough to have been in the water as long as the person had been missing. I really have no idea what to believe but it is super interesting.

A serial killer gang starting in the late 90s, migrating to the "dark web" at some point, using a rotating cadre of never the same people to avoid detection/prevent leaks, and specifically targeting chads kind of stretches the imagination unless these were incel precursors.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

If there was an organized gang of serial killers targeting young men, that would be one of the most striking things to ever happen in American criminal history. Probably world criminal history. Is there a single documented instance of serial killers working together en masse?

I also think it would be being investigated by someone other than "a team of retired detectives" and "a gang expert".

quote:

where the body was not decomposed enough to have been in the water as long as the person had been missing.

Is there any evidence for this other than the claims of one retired detective? This feels like total BS and just one more conspiracy theory for the pile.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

If there was an organized gang of serial killers targeting young men, that would be one of the most striking things to ever happen in American criminal history. Probably world criminal history. Is there a single documented instance of serial killers working together en masse?

The Manson Family? The Thugee? But even then, some would argue that the Thugee were probably a bandit subculture in which certain superstitions circulated than a serial killer cult sacrificing people to Kali.

My suspicion is that the Smiley Face Killers actually exist, but that the investigators who believe in them have a considerably exaggerated view of the size of the organization and the number of victims.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 18, 2019

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

D-Pad posted:

Has anybody seen this?

They got drunk, fell into a body of water, and drowned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Emrikol posted:

They got drunk, fell into a body of water, and drowned.

And the GHB?

Edit: I guess the obvious answer is "They got high, fell into a body of water, and drowned."

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 18, 2019