Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The most offensive thing about those pictures is that stylized apostrophe. Disgusting.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Toby Fox contributed to it. It can't be all bad.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Takoluka posted:

Toby Fox contributed to it. It can't be all bad.

I bet his contribution was looking over some parts and going "yikes."

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
He contributed some music, apparently and that's about it.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Learned that YIIK is pronounced Y2K and it made me roll my eyes very hard.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Why eye eye k?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/tobyfox/status/1085935233894150144

So just download the one track and pretend the game doesn't exist. Or look for other bits of how yiikes it is.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

YIIK more like YIIKES

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Fancy Hat! posted:

A few weeks ago I learned the game 20XX is prounounced "twenty-xty-x" according to its devs.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oscar Wild posted:

Why eye eye k?

the game is a labyrinth of bad choices

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Fancy Hat! posted:

no it's pronounced yik

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Haruki Murakami, now it all makes sense.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/mariobrothblog/status/1086055583613104128?s=21
He’s the best.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Is it wrong that I'm just looking for the panel arrangement that would be closest to loss? (4123)

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Is it wrong that I'm just looking for the panel arrangement that would be closest to loss? (4123)

3 1 4 2

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
guy is so dedicated to playing wario he has sweaty pits

I love him

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Hammer Bro. posted:

The most offensive thing about those pictures is that stylized apostrophe. Disgusting.

It's a normal apostrophe but it's the wrong way round lmao

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

whoops

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I tried that pose from the Wario shot and it really does help your voice get the deeper range and bellow of a proper "WA." I bet my neighbors are proud of me.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Alan_Shore posted:

Is this a new trend for parents to want games to be super easy for their kids? When a lot of us were kids games were brutal and unfair and we still love them. Hell at 5 I had to put a cassette tape into the computer and wait 20 minutes for a super poo poo hard game to load and I loved it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just did the Japanese account NES online thingy and wow, their box art is something else :stare:

I love the actual artwork of a lot of them, but overall, I prefer the North American look of almost every game.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The White Dragon posted:

i don't really know what the deal is with y2k but the rpg thread can definitely tell you all about its problems

This is hilarious, oh poo poo that last shot is the best.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just did the Japanese account NES online thingy and wow, their box art is something else :stare:

I love the actual artwork of a lot of them, but overall, I prefer the North American look of almost every game.

For a lot of early games it was really important in America that the box art look exactly how the game looked because people thought Atari art was misleading

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

For a lot of early games it was really important in America that the box art look exactly how the game looked because people thought Atari art was misleading

Yeah, the disconnect between box art and the actual lovely game within was one of the minor reasons leading to the video game crash.

Look at the 2600 pac man and E.T. for example.

Nintendo did so much to get their system into America after the crash. Showing off the high quality (at the time) 8-bit graphics compared to the lovely stuff in the video game crash is a great marketing move.

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 18, 2019

Weedle
May 31, 2006

A true artist.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
So, I just bought a switch, and is there a controller with bigger buttons that still attaches to the sides of the console?

It's difficult playing smash Bros with the default stuff.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

blackguy32 posted:

So, I just bought a switch, and is there a controller with bigger buttons that still attaches to the sides of the console?

It's difficult playing smash Bros with the default stuff.

No. I’m surprised no one has tried making them yet.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

That's unfortunate, I wanted to play another quirky RPG but I guess I'll pass on YIIK. Don't really wanna touch pretentious garbage and scoff at people that haven't read Murakami.

Can anyone recommend if GRIS is actually good?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

YIIK more like YIIKES

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

AlphaKeny1 posted:

That's unfortunate, I wanted to play another quirky RPG but I guess I'll pass on YIIK. Don't really wanna touch pretentious garbage and scoff at people that haven't read Murakami.

Gris is a simple puzzle platformer, but it is very, very pretty, and the controls are tight.
I wouldn't normally recommend a game on just the strength of its visuals and music alone, but I could make a case for this game being an exception.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I like Murakami, especially his short stories, but something tells me this isn't really going to get the right tone.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I like Murakami, especially his short stories, but something tells me this isn't really going to get the right tone.

Check out the RPG thread, its tone is crap, its graphics are bad, and most damningly its mechanics are a train wreck

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
I'm downloading YIIK because I'm a sucker for JRPGs with a setting that isn't medieval fantasy. Hopefully I won't feel like I just flushed 20 dollars.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

poonchasta posted:

I'm downloading YIIK because I'm a sucker for JRPGs with a setting that isn't medieval fantasy. Hopefully I won't feel like I just flushed 20 dollars.
:laugh:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

murakami's decent with a few pieces of stunning work, but anyone who tells you how big a fan of murakami they are and how inspired they are by him has literally never read another novel by a non-western author

its the 'inspired by earthbound' of novels

wait

anyway theres a line where the main character chastises an asian woman for accusing him of being racist and then immediately goes 'don't say ginger. that's OUR word.' and no reviews indicate that there's a scene where this is all subverted, perhaps by having the main character get run over by the green goblin truck from maximum overdrive, or having him get hit in the nuts by the coke machine from maximum overdrive, or really any of the kill scenes from maximum overdrive happening to him

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Endorph posted:

its the 'inspired by earthbound' of novels

wait
Murakami and Itoi the Earthbound designer did a short story collection (of sorts) together in the '80s, so this gels.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Kins posted:

Murakami and Itoi the Earthbound designer did a short story collection (of sorts) together in the '80s, so this gels.

Was it ever translated? I'd be interested in reading it.

Endorph posted:

murakami's decent with a few pieces of stunning work, but anyone who tells you how big a fan of murakami they are and how inspired they are by him has literally never read another novel by a non-western author

I agree. I haven't read any of his latest things after 1Q84, which I liked but it wasn't amazing or anything. I adore the premise of two moons and what that may mean to a world, but aside from that the novel just kinda meanders. I still haven't read his Jogging bit, I should get around to that. That said the Korean film adaptation of Barn Burning was pretty solid, so it's not impossible to adapt his work/be inspired by it.

Out of curiosity would you count Latin American as non-Western or not? I'm lacking in African and Asian literature for sure, but there's only so much time and so so many things to read. Plus, not the biggest fan of reading translations when I can help it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Was it ever translated? I'd be interested in reading it.
Not officially, but there's a couple of fan-translations of individual stories out there online. Nothing amazing, to be sure, but it's kind of interesting.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

🔥 FIRE IN THE BOOTH 🔥

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

AlphaKeny1 posted:

As a game? The gameplay is bland and devoid of replay value. However, I consider it less of a game and more of an art delivery mechanism, which it succeeds at in spades. If you played Journey, it's like that, but 2D and hand drawn and by gosh is it lovely.