Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

But that's the road car McLaren which is totally unrelated to the F1 McLaren isn't it?

Same company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

But that's the road car McLaren which is totally unrelated to the F1 McLaren isn't it?
I'm trying to be positive towards McLaren in any way I can.
It won't last long.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

iirc both companies are under the same ownership now that dennis is gone

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Rhopunzel posted:

Stroll driver of a day

It already happened, and never will again.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Good for Are Jimmer, well deserved.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Rhopunzel posted:

iirc both companies are under the same ownership now that dennis is gone

Ding Ding Ding.

IIRC wanting to merge the disparate entities of the McLaren brand into a more unified structure was one of the reasons they wanted Ron Dennis to go because he wanted the F1 section to retain a deal of independence (and precedence).

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 17, 2019

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Mclaren won the race good job everyone involved

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dubs posted:

Mclaren won the race good job everyone involved

Race to the bottom isn’t an achievement

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When is the ROC and where i can watch It?

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

DoctorGonzo posted:

When is the ROC and where i can watch It?

It's this weekend, in Mexico, home of Fernando Alonso. No idea where you can watch it live but I think it's on Sky F1 here in :britain: not sure if that's highlights or live though

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
So. Whilst faffing about on the internet, I stumbled across

https://vimeo.com/21369667

Which was the video ITV made for the F1 coverage in 2008, when their time as the broadcaster ended. I remember at the time I thought it was brilliant and it still is. Because when have you ever seen Nico Rosberg, Seb Vettel and Murray Walker miming to My Chemical Romance.

Then I realised the song title.

For Hamilton's first championship year

"Welcome To The Black Parade"

loving Brexit.

Brainwrong fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 17, 2019

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
No turning back now, going down the rabbit hole. RIP me. Long live Theresa.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Looks like pictures of this year’s Mclaren just got leaked

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

I almost got an SC2 as my first car. I can’t remember why we passed it up, but I think it had something to do with it being automatic and I couldn’t put a Cold Air Intake on it because of that.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I almost got an SC2 as my first car. I can’t remember why we passed it up, but I think it had something to do with it being automatic and I couldn’t put a Cold Air Intake on it because of that.

You can do anything you want, my friend!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Cold Air Intakes are like the dumbest loving things, especially on cars with indirect injection. Like my opinion of someone instantly goes down if they tell me their car has one.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

me a person who had to disconnect the warm air portion of the intake because of an intake

Wow thank god I’m getting all this cool condensed air that is forcing the fuel to reliquify on my valves and causing the engine to run like poo poo.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

You can do anything you want, my friend!

That is a short ram intake :colbert:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

That is a short ram intake :colbert:

Don't judge my stupid car mods by being all accurate about what they are :colbert:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
What is a cold air intake on a car anyway? All intakes are in the engine bay aren't they, which is always fairly warm. Unless what, a hood scoop?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

What is a cold air intake on a car anyway? All intakes are in the engine bay aren't they, which is always fairly warm. Unless what, a hood scoop?

The principle generally is to mount the air intake in a position low down and close to the road so it picks up as much dirt fresh air as possible and disconnecting the warm air intake off the exhaust. Again this generally creates issues with the fuel condensing on intake walls and or the valves and completely defeating the imaginary performance gains. Maybe it’s worth something now with direct injection but I doubt it is material.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

1500quidpoocati posted:

The principle generally is to mount the air intake in a position low down and close to the road so it picks up as much dirt fresh air as possible and disconnecting the warm air intake off the exhaust. Again this generally creates issues with the fuel condensing on intake walls and or the valves and completely defeating the imaginary performance gains. Maybe it’s worth something now with direct injection but I doubt it is material.

What the hell is a warm air intake off the exhaust

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The chassis of the Ferrari 2019 was approved yesterday by the FIA. The Maranello team has passed the last crash tests at the CSI in Bollate yesterday in the presence of the technical delegate of the International Federation, Jo Bauer.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

track day bro! posted:

What the hell is a warm air intake off the exhaust

Some sort of bizarre recirculater? What's that thing where you feed the turbo wastegate back in to the system?

"Warm air intake" just usually means it's sealed and not positioned anywhere specifically away from anything, though it's never referred to as "warm air intake".

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

DoctorGonzo posted:

The chassis of the Ferrari 2019 was approved yesterday by the FIA. The Maranello team has passed the last crash tests at the CSI in Bollate yesterday in the presence of the technical delegate of the International Federation, Jo Bauer.

This would only be interesting if they'd failed the test. Can you update the thread on how clean the windows are at the factory next? Or what the current weather in Maranello is. Or what colour the new Ferrari will be.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

This would only be interesting if they'd failed the test. Can you update the thread on how clean the windows are at the factory next? Or what the current weather in Maranello is. Or what colour the new Ferrari will be.

The windows are very clean, it's about 7C, foggy, and the car will be red.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Happy birthday to Scud Legend Gilles Villeneuve in what would have been his 69th birthday

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Wow thanks for the update #ForzaFerrari

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Nice

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

Wow thanks for the update #ForzaFerrari

You're welcome

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

DoctorGonzo posted:

Happy birthday to Scud Legend Gilles Villeneuve in what would have been his 69th birthday

nice

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Gilles is probably the only thing this thread agrees on

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Jacques was better.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Better at winning a World Championship, sure. But then he wasn't hamstrung by driving a Ferrari.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Carth Dookie posted:

Jacques was better.

:chloe:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Gigi Galli posted:

Some sort of bizarre recirculater? What's that thing where you feed the turbo wastegate back in to the system?

"Warm air intake" just usually means it's sealed and not positioned anywhere specifically away from anything, though it's never referred to as "warm air intake".

I think maybe epic canadian pretend austrian guy has been huffing too much 2-stroke exhaust

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Hot take: Gilles was crap because I read Professor Sid's book and Sid listed Gilles as one of the drivers who was incapable of properly managing a road car on the street. As opposed to ACTUAL Frenchman Saint Alain, or Our Niki, who were sensible drivers.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
didnt schumacher drove a taxi like a madman to catch a flight? what LEGEND #legend

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ducati is unveiling their 2019 bike this morning lads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

1500quidpoocati posted:

Ducati is unveiling their 2019 bike this morning lads.

where is its intake located