Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sundae posted:

Oh god I just want to snuggle it and then die from whatever neurotoxin it probably secretes.

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Amazon-Milk-Frog/ They are easy and safe to keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Oh my God, I didn't realize the Cohen story was from loving Jason Leopold.

Y'all, it's fake.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bobjr posted:

Trump insulting cute dogs would lower his approval rating more than almost anything else

Like a dog

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Riatsala posted:

It's been my theory for a while that Pence has been deliberately insulated from Trump and his crimes to avoid the possibility of both going down with the ship simultaneously.

I don't think Pence would run for reelection nor do I think he would win if he did, but I think the GOP figured they would be in much better shape if they can prop up a seemingly clean president after the fallout of impeachment/resignation.

I think Pence is keeping to the shadows at least in part because he realizes that the quickest way to get on Trump's poo poo-list is take any media attention away from Trump.

There were reports about a year ago after Pence did a bit more public poo poo that Trump was starting to suspect he was gearing up to challenge him in some way.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Except it's literally not possible. Donald Trump has no ability, short of literally violating posse comitatus and sending the military to seize every ballot and occupy polling places, to stop state election boards from holding elections.

Come on, we are talking about an absolutely apocalyptic scenario. He can't just go on Twitter and go "NO ELECTIONS" like Michael Scott declaring bankruptcy.

Yeah he doesn't have the backing of the military or intelligence agencies to do it, although if he tried that would still be a real existential crisis for the union (because I'm sure there are pockets of troops and chuds that would back him and revolt)

More likely though the GOP just continues to rig elections and suppress voting rights to keep in power, with the courts and the Senate backing them up. Its gotten them through more serious threats to reactionary / conservative power over the past ~150 years (I.E. the civil rights movement and reconstruction)

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Petr posted:

Y'all, it's fake.

Source your quotes

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Lightning Knight posted:

Oh god someone told all the olds to hire better social media interns ahhhhhhhhhh.

the wendy's pr team was auditioning for white house press dept this whole time

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

What other big breaks has Buzzfeed had beyond this perjury stuff? It's hard to keep track of what came from where and an associate of mine doesn't believe Buzzfeed is capable of news.

There was the story about the IRS acting against american interest, trying to help Russia.

I don't have the details in my head right now.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

I have not previously heard of this report, and several of its claims are extremely questionable, rely on incomplete presentations of policy, and are intended to fearmonger. Take it with a block of salt. In particular, notice that the same organization is cited in the seemingly separate wood in chicken reporting. They're doing a PR push.

USDA inspection systems, especially involving meat, are generally of the highest standard. It's a weird situation where regulated industry is comfortable with strenuous regulation because a loss of public faith in the food supply would be so devastating to profits.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 18, 2019

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

To Capitalism, the "greatest economic system on Earth,"
I hope you learn something from this book.
Yours,
Bernie Sanders

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The frogs are?

My male dumpy frog croaks at trump sometimes. Which means he views trump as a rival man and he is trying to out call him.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Source your quotes

Jason Leopold didn't.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Petr posted:

Y'all, it's fake.

Buzzfeed in general (and Leopold/Mercier in particular) are one of the few entities to whom we know with some certainty that Mueller has leaked details.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

friendbot2000 posted:

Doesn't Mike Pence send his advance team to clear any dogs away from anywhere he appears? That alone should disqualify you for any office.

Wtf

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Speaking of the horsefucker, he's really offended that people don't like Mother's new job :qq:

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/DavidNakamura/status/1086318335225221120

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

friendbot2000 posted:

Doesn't Mike Pence send his advance team to clear any dogs away from anywhere he appears? That alone should disqualify you for any office.

I remember him insisting there not be any alcohol at a St. Patrick's day parade he was speaking at, but I've never heard the dog thing

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Unzip and Attack posted:

IMO it's all about a trend forming. If he dips to 34% then rises back up in a few weeks then it really didn't matter. Nixon's approval ratings trended downward pretty much the entire duration of Watergate. Trump's been involved in a more-serious-than-Watergate scandal for 2 years and he's remained steady.

I went through a year or so back and looked at the Nixon polling trendlines. Basically, the inflection point was when Nixon's popularity with Republican voters dipped below that same threshold and it became clear he was a liability going forward in other races. It also took a long time to happen. Of course this is taking longer and Trump's base is stickier but the overall logic probably holds: if his support among Republicans drops and holds, that's game.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't think Tim Kaine is a liar, I think his moral position - which is a common moral position among liberal Catholics - is asinine and doesn't make sense. Abortion isn't murder. You can't claim it is but also lol gently caress it let's not do anything. That makes you look ridiculous.

Not that I hold the opinion, but it does make sense if you believe that outlawing abortion leads to more dead since people will just use coat hangers instead. Clean safe abortions that keep the mother healthy would then be the same harm reduction as giving out clean needles or decriminalizing hard drugs.

There's nothing psycopathic about believing something is wrong but that outlawing it would lead to an increase in statistical harm.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Unzip and Attack posted:

I am not nothingmattersing here, but he won't. I would be very surprised if he falls below 38%

Last year there were several in the thread who stated that 37% is his floor and I think that's correct.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/?ex_cid=rrpromo

December 17th, 2017, according to the 538 tracker, his adjusted approval rating was 36.4%
There were several other times that year he went below 37%. There were entire months where he was below 38%
Some of these might be polling artifacts, but of course, it is just as possible the polling artifacts are going the other way.

It might seem pedantic to bring up fractions of a percent, but as long as we get into absolute statements like "It will never reach this mark", then one exception, however slight, means that statement is wrong. Its usually better to couch things in terms of "in the foreseeable future, he won't go below 35%".

I think there are a lot of things that could still happen that would fracture the base.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

mango sentinel posted:

No the whole reason Pence is VP is that Manafort hand picked him and went to great lengths to orchestrate a situation where Trump was on board with it. No way is he outside any of this.

See I'm still on the fence on this. On the one hand yeah this is super super shady knowing everything we now know but on the other hand Manafort genuinely was a pretty smooth political operator and probably knew Pence would be way better for electoral results than Christie.

scopes
Jun 5, 2004

Herewaard posted:

Pence is probably dirty on some Flynn stuff but that stuff is a little more obscure and seemingly less serious that anything Trump is involved in.

Imagine if when these bozos were putting this whole poo poo parade together from their coked-out memories of the Nixon era, that they forgot the whole "make sure our Agnew analog isn't covered in completely corrupt filth" and it turns out Pence has been like, taking bribes in bitcoin and keeps his wallet in a WH computer.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Petr posted:

Jason Leopold didn't.

Wow. A real life fake news post.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Why would it be, a US politician meeting with war criminals is business as usual

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Petr posted:

Y'all, it's fake.

No one has corroborated it yet, so I suppose it's possible, but that Buzzfeed duo has been on point with respect to the Mueller investigation for a while now.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

“You filthy leftists are offending Mother with you taking offense to the fact that we believe that all homosexuals should die and burn in the fiery depths of hell, so sayeth the LORD.” :lofty:

That cultist swine needs to eat a large plate of poo poo.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

mdemone posted:

Buzzfeed in general (and Leopold/Mercier in particular) are one of the few entities to whom we know with some certainty that Mueller has leaked details.

The leaks probably came from the SDNY, who did the raid and would have seen the documents, and is well known for leaking like a sieve

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

I remember him insisting there not be any alcohol at a St. Patrick's day parade he was speaking at, but I've never heard the dog thing

Nevermind, looked it up and must have been thinking of another one of these ghouls. He has a dog, a cat, a rabbit, and a horse...yet no soul...weird. Lol and Trump thought he was low class for bringing his pets into his VP Residence. What an rear end in a top hat

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

AhhYes posted:

No one has corroborated it yet, so I suppose it's possible, but that Buzzfeed duo has been on point with respect to the Mueller investigation for a while now.

Petr posts only in bad-faith nothingmatters.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Rex-Goliath posted:

See I'm still on the fence on this. On the one hand yeah this is super super shady knowing everything we now know but on the other hand Manafort genuinely was a pretty smooth political operator and probably knew Pence would be way better for electoral results than Christie.

Also if Pence were dirty you would think we would have heard *something* by now. It's been all quiet over there.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Does he actually call her "Mother"? When I was 15 or so one of my friend's dads called his wife 'mother' and I was so confused, and later on creeped the gently caress out when I found out it was a conservative word for "wife". Gross.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Ague Proof posted:

Petr posts only in bad-faith nothingmatters.

Can we trade him for evilweasel?

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
It's to remind you that that is the only role for a woman.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gorson posted:

Does he actually call her "Mother"? When I was 15 or so one of my friend's dads called his wife 'mother' and I was so confused, and later on creeped the gently caress out when I found out it was a conservative word for "wife". Gross.

yeah he does.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2018/mar/27/does-mike-pence-call-his-wife-mother/

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Gorson posted:

Yes. And he doesn't allow himself to be alone with any woman except her.

Also, it's my duty to periodically remind the forums that Mother already has a job selling towel charms to the masses.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

glowing-fish posted:

I think there are a lot of things that could still happen that would fracture the base.

I don't disagree, but I think those things are highly unlikely, almost to the point of not being considered plausible. I don't think there are very many people out there who support Trump now that would ever abandon support for him. His administration has been a freak show of constant criminality and vulgarity that Nixon's absolutely was not. Nixon at least obfuscated most of his evil acts while Trump loudly proclaims them on TV or social media.

His base is coalesced and reality-proof in a way that Nixon's simply wasn't. Nixon supporters couldn't just veg in front of Fox News all day and have their doubts assuaged.

I may be wrong and at a certain point, supporters abandon him due to optics, I just don't think his supporters have any real dignity left.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Rex-Goliath posted:

Also if Pence were dirty you would think we would have heard *something* by now. It's been all quiet over there.

"Mike Flynn was fired because he lied to Mike Pence"

I could be wrong, but something about that makes me think we haven't heard the last of it.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Not that I hold the opinion, but it does make sense if you believe that outlawing abortion leads to more dead since people will just use coat hangers instead. Clean safe abortions that keep the mother healthy would then be the same harm reduction as giving out clean needles or decriminalizing hard drugs.

There's nothing psycopathic about believing something is wrong but that outlawing it would lead to an increase in statistical harm.

Bit of a grey area here in regards to how psychopathic it is, but the same is true of divorce. When divorces are easy to obtain, domestic violence and murder rates plummet. So anytime someone brings up that 50 percent of marriages end up in divorce, mention that the corollary is that murders and domestic assaults are cut dramatically too. Would they prefer those people just died to protect the "sanctity of marriage"? They usually don't have an answer to that lol.

Spun Dog posted:

"Mike Flynn was fired because he lied to Mike Pence"

I could be wrong, but something about that makes me think we haven't heard the last of it.

yup, plus, he was Manaforts man. Anything Manafort touches seems to be knee deep in this shitfest.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Petr's not-a-gimmick is dropping the most pessimistic take possible whenever big news hits. It isn't "nothing matters" nihilism as much as "literally nothing can go right in our current world" type thinking.

I totally get reacting that way, especially if you are prone to that sort of catastrophizing thought pattern, but it is still annoying unless backed up with evidence (and lack of evidence against something is not evidence for something). And in the current case there's no evidence that the story is fake and significant evidence pointing to it being real such as Cohen already admitting in court to lying and coordinating that lie, the White House spokesperson putting out a non-denial-denial, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Crow Jane posted:

Yes. And he doesn't allow himself to be alone with any woman except her.

Also, it's my duty to periodically remind the forums that Mother already has a job selling towel charms to the masses.

If I put a charm on my towel I don’t have to wash it anymore? Why....?