Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'd compare The Shield more to Breaking Bad, in that they're about gritty subjects but in the end they're still shows where entertainment is the #1 priority and the storylines reflect that.

Watching The Shield in a marathon is probably the best way to experience it, because almost everything that happens in the show's final season(one of the best final seasons ever) is directly connected to the poo poo that the strike team did in the first few seasons. The entire series is the team digging an ever deeper hole for itself and that final season it all finally comes home to roost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The Shield has one of my favorite final seasons of any show. I think it benefitted from a slow burn when it was originally on, but definitely still amazing.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
The only bad thing about The Shield is that it gave Kurt Sutter the ability to create SOA

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
The Shield has been on my short list for a while, and I trust that it's good, but every time I watch clips of it, it just looks so hokey.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

The Shield has been on my short list for a while, and I trust that it's good, but every time I watch clips of it, it just looks so hokey.

That's why I don't think any comparisons to The Wire are appropriate. It's much closer to 24 than it is to The Wire. It's an over the top show but I dunno, in the years since it aired I've seen plenty of ridiculous poo poo the cops have been up to that makes The Shield not seem all that far-fetched.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Basebf555 posted:

I'd compare The Shield more to Breaking Bad, in that they're about gritty subjects but in the end they're still shows where entertainment is the #1 priority and the storylines reflect that.

Watching The Shield in a marathon is probably the best way to experience it, because almost everything that happens in the show's final season(one of the best final seasons ever) is directly connected to the poo poo that the strike team did in the first few seasons. The entire series is the team digging an ever deeper hole for itself and that final season it all finally comes home to roost.

The sheer level of attention to detail in the progression of the series was really astounding and I can’t think of any TV show that was more capable of balancing that much stuff and delivering satisfying payoff to all sorts of plot lines and little moments. I can’t really think of any times they just pulled something from their rear end because they wrote themselves into a corner.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

veni veni veni posted:

The early seasons (especially the pilot) look a bit rough and that stupid Kid Rock song at the end of the pilot doesn’t do the show any favors but I never thought it was too distracting. They might have intentionally went for a slight Cops vibe because it never moves beyond 4:3 SD (it’s never in a documentary style, but the video quality is pretty similar) although I don’t know when cable shows moved to widescreen (the last season was in 2008).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

veni veni veni posted:

It's the ultimate divorced dad show, the whole thing is like peeling out in a Dodge Charger.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Having now watched both, I gotta give the edge to the Hulu Fyre documentary. It pulls way less punches. You can tell the Netflix one was made by people who have an interest in putting the best spin on it they can. Hulu one makes it clear that the dude was a straight up criminal and con man. Netflix one skews too often toward "he just flew too close to the sun" and "but seriously look how good of an idea these things were"

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

precision posted:

Having now watched both, I gotta give the edge to the Hulu Fyre documentary. It pulls way less punches. You can tell the Netflix one was made by people who have an interest in putting the best spin on it they can. Hulu one makes it clear that the dude was a straight up criminal and con man. Netflix one skews too often toward "he just flew too close to the sun" and "but seriously look how good of an idea these things were"

Didn't the Hulu documentary pay the organizer of the festival a six-figure sum to consent to their interview?

I'm thinking you should probably just avoid them both.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

precision posted:

The Netflix one does have some people who come down hard on it. The man bun dude is very clear on him being a crook.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sarchasm posted:

Didn't the Hulu documentary pay the organizer of the festival a six-figure sum to consent to their interview?

I'm thinking you should probably just avoid them both.

No idea how much they paid him, but the Netflix one has spin. "In 48 hours they had sold 95% of their tickets" is, at least from the information in the Hulu one, very inaccurate. The Netflix one also kinda makes the Magnesis Card sound like it was cool but flawed, whereas the Hulu one shows you what kind of hilarious losers actually fell for it, etc

The Hulu one just generally has way more info, the Netflix one is slicker.

I wouldn't say to avoid either of them though, even compromised documentaries can be interesting and the footage is lolworthy

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think paying the guy a few hundred thousand was probably worth it because his interview adds a ton to the documentary in terms of exposing him as the con man he was/still is. The dude has probably already blown that money on bullshit anyway and is onto whatever the next grift is.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

I think paying the guy a few hundred thousand was probably worth it because his interview adds a ton to the documentary in terms of exposing him as the con man he was/still is. The dude has probably already blown that money on bullshit anyway and is onto whatever the next grift is.

I believe you mean blown the money at the canteen and the next grift is getting two prison gangs to protect him because he's in jail for 6 years.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Very much enjoying the Netflix Fyre documentary. Hoping the Hulu version is somewhere a non-Merican like myself can see it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Basebf555 posted:

Yeah his interview segments were hilarious. One wonders how such a bad liar managed to con so many people

Also, Ja Rule comes off as a turbo douche

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
it's insane to me that there is a man with a multi-year prison sentence for putting on a lovely music festival

e: it is Illegal to put on Bad Music Festivals, unless your Name is Ja Rule and then you just sort of get to keep doing Whatever the gently caress

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The Hulu one is definitely the better doc, but the Netflix one is still worth watching because of a couple amazing anecdotes

:lolplant:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

precision posted:

One wonders how such a bad liar managed to con so many people

“Influencers” and other bougie trust fund babies are universally dumb as poo poo :ssh:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it's insane to me that there is a man with a multi-year prison sentence for putting on a lovely music festival

e: it is Illegal to put on Bad Music Festivals, unless your Name is Ja Rule and then you just sort of get to keep doing Whatever the gently caress

I mean, Fyre went beyond “lovely music festival” and was more “tricking people into buying tickets to be flown to Hell Island”

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I mean, Fyre went beyond “lovely music festival” and was more “tricking people into buying tickets to be flown to Hell Island”

:shrug: i feel like most of the garbage-rear end fests I've seen are pretty much along those lines, and the only difference with Fyre is that ultra-rich kids and "Instagram influencers" got hosed over by it and Ja Rule was involved. nobody got fuckin' arrested for Free Press Summerfest here in Houston and that festival went straight to absolute horrible poo poo after 2012.

e: or for a famous and probably more directly comparable example, who exactly got arrested for loving Woodstock 99? anyone at all?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
He got jail time for wire fraud

Watch the Hulu one, the dude did a lot more than just "put on a lovely music festival". A lot of Jamaican workers straight up never got paid too

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Not to interrupt Fyre talk but Jason X is on Netflix and it owns

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Frog Act posted:

Oh hell yeah!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

precision posted:

He got jail time for wire fraud

Watch the Hulu one, the dude did a lot more than just "put on a lovely music festival". A lot of Jamaican workers straight up never got paid too

oh, okay, that makes a lot more sense :v:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Amazon Prime's putting up a shitload of 1920s-50s era Westerns next month. As well as the Jordan Peele produced docuseries about Lorena Bobbit.

https://news.avclub.com/heres-whats-coming-to-amazon-prime-in-february-1831879544

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Frog Act posted:

Hell yeah it does

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Punisher s2 is up

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Is Io any good? I just saw a trailer for it on netflix and it looked really interesting.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

redreader posted:

Is Io any good? I just saw a trailer for it on netflix and it looked really interesting.

I just finished the first episode, it's breathtaking

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

I would recommend people watch both Fyre documentaries just to get a more complete picture, but now that I've watched both I gotta say FYRE is hands down the better film. And it's not like its a masterpiece. It's a slick 3.5/5 from a guy who has made several excellent docs already, and it flows. FYRE FRAUD is like a long youtube essay that diverts into too much half-baked takes about millenials and influencer culture. It's not very well crafted. All the splices into Chappelle or Simpsons or Parks and Rec are strained when the Fyre footage and BS of the scam should be front and centre.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I’ve only seen Fyre so far but I have to say there’s something mildly cathartic about all these trust fund dickheads getting there and seeing that it’s just a soggy shantytown.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

redreader posted:

I'll probably watch it later. I'm a loving sucker for post-apoc movies.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Filthy Hans posted:

I just finished the first episode, it's breathtaking

I thought it was a movie??

Lycus posted:

I'll probably watch it later. I'm a loving sucker for post-apoc movies.

Yeah same, even if it's bad probably. I loved The Rain

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I only liked the first episode of The Rain, but I'll give all post-apoc a shot.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

redreader posted:

I thought it was a movie??

nope, it's a season

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Did you quote the wrong post? It's a movie.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

BisterdDave posted:

Oh hell yeah!

precision posted:

Hell yeah it does

I had only ever seen the one part where he punches a ladies head off, many years ago in passing while on a lot of drugs, so I knew it would be great but I honestly had no idea just how awesome it would be. the last scene is hilarious, and the part where he beats the two holographic campers to death with no gore at all by swinging them around in sleeping bags was a hilarious send-up of the genre.

it needs a direct sequel that picks up at the end and is just "uber Jason" beating people to death in a super futuristic yr 2249 or whatever society

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

fuckin what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Erebus posted:

fuckin what