Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Jiru posted:

Supposed so. Oh well, thanks anyway!

You don't want to root and install a custom ROM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Before anyone says anything the forums are having trouble displaying new posts sometimes so it's not the app merry christmas!!!

🎅

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Are YouTube embeds supposed to work? I have the option enabled... Google Pixel, Android 9, Awful 3.6.1, beta channel.

If so, mine have been broken for a very long time.

Edit: aha, I had to change the forums-side "Show video embedded in posts" option.

James Baud fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 26, 2018

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014

KingKapalone posted:

Since installing the big update, going to one of my bookmarked threads to see the new posts just takes me to a white screen on the page where I left off. If I refresh by hitting the button or swiping it marks all those new posts as read and puts me at the top of the page so I don't actually know what's unread. On an S8+with newest OS.

I'm having this same issue on an S9.

Sometimes clicking a bookmarked thread results in a blank page. No posts loaded. Sometimes bookmarks work other times they don't, seems very random.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Is there any way to make the menu be triggered only by tapping the hamburger button? I'm a lefty and am always triggering it by mistake when I'm trying to swipe back out of a thread/forum while using my tablet one-handed.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Nah it's a standard component and people are having enough trouble finding options as it is. How big is the tablet and how far from the edge does it still trigger the side menu?

(I'm not a lefty but I use my phone left-handed a lot! No not that)

got fired from Snopes posted:

Sometimes clicking a bookmarked thread results in a blank page. No posts loaded. Sometimes bookmarks work other times they don't, seems very random.

Are you seeing the "Awful." splash screen before that happens too?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

got fired from Snopes posted:

I've had this for a while, but if I kill the app and try again it knows I haven't read the posts and works fine.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The blank page bug is super frustrating.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm noticing it a fair bit too now

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Unless I'm missing a setting somewhere, Awful lives up to its name on tablet. Instead of the list threads taking up the full screen, they take up about 90%, with the other 10% being the list of forums on the left side of the screen.

Probably because the app isn't made/optimized for tablets.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

Unless I'm missing a setting somewhere, Awful lives up to its name on tablet. Instead of the list threads taking up the full screen, they take up about 90%, with the other 10% being the list of forums on the left side of the screen.

Under Advanced -> Device and Navigation there's a Thread Layout setting you can change, set it to phone layout if you want to have the thread list take up the full screen

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Kheldarn posted:

The last time I looked at the app on a tablet probably was around Android 5 ?

Tablet view should be forum index and view both taking up 50% of the screen. So either your tablet is poo poo (it's an Android tablet after all) or the app broke at some point (it's an Android app after all)

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Daztek posted:

Under Advanced -> Device and Navigation there's a Thread Layout setting you can change, set it to phone layout if you want to have the thread list take up the full screen

That did it. Thanks!

Sereri posted:

The last time I looked at the app on a tablet probably was around Android 5 ?

Tablet view should be forum index and view both taking up 50% of the screen. So either your tablet is poo poo (it's an Android tablet after all) or the app broke at some point (it's an Android app after all)

It did, it's not, and it didn't. I just misremembered what it covered, after years of staring at Imgur doing it at those rates on my old Nexus 7 (2013).

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

My phone is having an issue where I can respond to threads but not individual posts. Its as if the app doesn't get the input. I verified that area of the phone works outside the app and it works to move the cursor around in text boxes etc. I'm on latest edition of app and Android. No biggy, just wanted to mention it.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I'm having an issue on S9 where "keep screen on" isn't persistent between launches. I'll turn it on, it's fine for that session, then when I relaunch the so later the box is unchecked.

I've also got the blank screen situation.

Leon Sumbitches fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 10, 2019

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I'm on a S8 and I can't hit the menu button for individual posts. I can expand the poster details but can't quote/block/pm/etc them.

Tested with Classic and Default skins as the 3-dot button is in different physical locations with each.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sorry if this ties into the blank page error, but I thought I'd do an update on a behaviour I've been observing.

As some might remember I've posted in the past that Awful has some odd activity with my specific set up and network connectivity. What I've observed is that the app will get "stuck" on a network request, sometimes for 10ish minutes. The odd part is that it'll get stuck on a specific operation, e.g. opening a thread, but if I do other things not related to that, it'll still work. Usually the sign of something "coming back" is a Loading Failed message out of nowhere and I'll be able to try and re-open that thread/forum, usually successfully.

What's changed since the update is that the app will still get stuck, but how it recovers from that situation is different. What I'm seeing sometimes is instead of getting stuck, staying on a blank page, and then Loading Failed, is I'll get stuck, stay on the page, Loading Failed, and then the page count will update but the content shown will be the old unrefreshed thread. So for example I'm on page 2 of a thread, and go to page 3. Loading Fails, and the bottom indicia says that I'm now on Page 3. However the actual page content shown is Page 2, which can be confusing. Previously the page index wouldn't iterate up. I think this might be tied to the webview timing out before the network state does and it "reverting" to a last known good status (as appears to be the case in the blank page error) but thought I'd report it in case the additional information proved helpful. I'd put priority on this as "low". Most recent Awful, as up to date Android as you can get with a Nexus 6P.

Also really liking all the updates in this version! To address some other common issues raised:
- Screen icon did disappear, still in the app drawer. Haven't tried to put it back
- No problems with the three dot menu

Also in further congratulatory news, I ran the app on my old old Nexus 7 tablet over the holidays to re-read an image heavy LP thread (DR2) and it didn't stutter or fail even once!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'd quote him, but I'm having the same issue as Z the IVth on an S7 Active.

Can't use the menu button on individual posts.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Since updating I can't get into the menu on individual posts to edit/quote. I was sent here from another thread to seek assistance. Any tips? Things I can try?

Edit: This was on a Galaxy S8, but updating Chrome seems to have resolved it for me.

armorer fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 11, 2019

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

armorer posted:

Since updating I can't get into the menu on individual posts to edit/quote. I was sent here from another thread to seek assistance. Any tips? Things I can try?

Edit: This was on a Galaxy S8, but updating Chrome seems to have resolved it for me.

Thank you. That was driving me bonkers.

Updating chrome worked for me toom

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I'm guessing that affects the webview too? I don't know if they managed to break something, seems to be almost impossible to find any info about what webview updates change and what bugs used to exist. Kinda hard to troubleshoot "basic click events don't work" too :/

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

TMMadman posted:

Thank you. That was driving me bonkers.

Updating chrome worked for me toom

Works for me as well!

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
In the last couple major releases of Android the webview for apps is provided by Google Chrome (when Google Chrome is a system application). The system will have a stub app for "Android System WebView" (com.google.android.webview) but it will be disabled. The developer options hidden setting group will have a toggle to choose whether Google Chrome or Android System WebView provides webviews to apps.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ohhhhh

Great!!!!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

waffle iron posted:

In the last couple major releases of Android the webview for apps is provided by Google Chrome (when Google Chrome is a system application). The system will have a stub app for "Android System WebView" (com.google.android.webview) but it will be disabled. The developer options hidden setting group will have a toggle to choose whether Google Chrome or Android System WebView provides webviews to apps.

Does setting Firefox as the default browser affect this at all with other apps?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I'd be surprised if it did - default apps just route certain events to a particular app, like "open a URL" or "take a photo" and the like

There's this component called a webview for displaying browsery stuff - html, javascript, all that. If an app wants to use that stuff, you can add a webview instead of having to write the whole shebang yourself, which would be extremely bad for lots of reasons. The system hands you a webview and you put stuff in it

Basically on Nougat and up, if you have Chrome installed, web stuff (like the thread view on this app) will be rendered in a lil Chrome instance instead of a separate WebView component. I guess that means Firefox also displays its content through Chrome?!

e- looks like it, they have their own rendering webview thing but that's in something called Firefox Focus for now

So yeah, if you have Chrome installed, that's what provides all your standard webviews and that's what needs updating, unless you've messed with it to explicitly use the system version, or you're using some rom that does who knows what

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
It could just be that I'm paying more attention to it, but I'd swear that blank page thing has been happening more and more lately. What's more is that I just wiped the phone and started fresh early in the week. Maybe that's actually somehow why?

Also it's absolutely getting kicked out of memory more than it used to, but that started several versions ago. Annnd it just occurred to me while writing this... would turning off its battery optimization help with that at all?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I get the blank page thing now, myself. Both on my phone running Android 6.0.1 and my brand tablet running 8.0.

The only workaround I've found is to load a thread with no new replies first. If I do that, all threads with new replies load fine.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Also it's absolutely getting kicked out of memory more than it used to, but that started several versions ago. Annnd it just occurred to me while writing this... would turning off its battery optimization help with that at all?

It's possible, if that makes memory management more aggressive then you'll see the app being recreated more often. I'll do some profiling and make sure no memory leaks have crept in too (the more memory the app is using the more likely it is to get kicked out)

The issue is the webview not being 'ready' when we first load the page, just need to sort out the best way to get them coordinated. Or maybe just hack something in that looks like it works :thumbsup:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Can the keyboard be activated when starting a post/quote? It seems that that would be pretty handy.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

hooah posted:

Can the keyboard be activated when starting a post/quote? It seems that that would be pretty handy.

Umm it does activate for me? Do you have this issue with any other apps?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Umm it does activate for me? Do you have this issue with any other apps?

The only other app I can think of that would behave similarly (new view that starts in text input, as opposed to tapping a text field) is Joey, a reddit app, and it pops up the keyboard as soon as I tap the reply button.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It doesn't pop up in a Lollipop Nexus 7 emulator so there's some inconsistency going on, I'll see if I can track it down

should have a fix for the blank pages going out today too :geno:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

baka kaba posted:

cheers drive

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

baka kaba posted:

Oh yay it's been really annoying and I was starting to think you suck at this

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

A+ changelog entry

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Anybody else having trouble with the three dot drop down menu for quoting posts/rap sheet etc?

It's not working at all for me.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Try updating chrome (or the system webview app if you're not on nougat+), that seems to help people

Out of interest though, what happens when you tap it? Does the post info header bit expand? Or nothing? Does it make a difference if you carefully make sure you tap the actual pixels of the dots and not the space around them? (Tapping a lot over and over and seeing if it sometimes works might be the easiest test.) What text size is your device set to, and what font size in the app?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

baka kaba posted:

Try updating chrome (or the system webview app if you're not on nougat+), that seems to help people

Out of interest though, what happens when you tap it? Does the post info header bit expand? Or nothing? Does it make a difference if you carefully make sure you tap the actual pixels of the dots and not the space around them? (Tapping a lot over and over and seeing if it sometimes works might be the easiest test.) What text size is your device set to, and what font size in the app?

Thanks, the chrome update fixed it instantly. The button wasn't responding at all, as if I were tapping blank space. The post header info would expand but nothing else worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

So when you tapped the ... the post header would expand? Or do you mean tapping elsewhere made the header expand as normal, and tapping the ... had no effect at all?

also pretty weird that this has been going on so long and all it takes is a chrome update - why isn't it already updated for everyone by now??? scroogled again