Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

LaserShark posted:

Didn't some WH lackey hedge so hard on this that a Fox commentator called them out on it? "That isn't a denial" sort of thing?

I dunno, I get the feeling that Mueller didn't make that correction for nothing, if only to keep the media from muddying the waters somehow.

A lot of speculation that he has to do this now, since Democrats might actually might make him (Mueller) testify or subpoena his documents. Seeing a lot of takes similar to this one out there

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1086431038505508864
https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1086432638875754496

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shifty Pony posted:

Which was the really breaking bit about the report. We knew he was told to lie and coordination happened, having hard evidence of that is a much bigger deal.

Yeah, if Buzzfeed had just reported that Cohen claimed Trump did it then the story would have been "another thing to ask Cohen when he testifies to Congress/How credible is Cohen?" It wouldn't have been the "bombshell" people treated it as, just another unconfirmed thing on the pile. Which it still is.

Buzzfeed implied Mueller had evidence to prove it, which would have been HUGE if true but Mueller put a bullet in that.

And unfortunately Buzzfeed and anyone who jumped too hard on the story gives The Right a little easy cover for their "fake news" bull. A bad day for any major media outlet is a bad day for all media, sadly. Even though it seems like most media did their job and treated this as uncorroborated.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

CHEF!!! posted:

Yeah, that got a good laugh out of me. I always view those posters as basically saying "NY TImes and Washington Post run a bunch of lovely op-eds! That discounts them in their entirety!"

I feel endlessly annoyed by posters that seem to not know what op eds are and seem to only read that section

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

steven crowder fans. very cool.

https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/1086433588827115521?s=21

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/RonanFarrow/status/1086434635003895810

i bet you this is why it's 'not accurate' even though i don't think this even directly contradicts buzzfeed.

it's just donald trump didn't personally, in writing, tell cohen to lie. his lawyers and execs at his company did, at his direction

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

DEBATE ME COWARD

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, if Buzzfeed had just reported that Cohen claimed Trump did it then the story would have been "another thing to ask Cohen when he testifies to Congress/How credible is Cohen?" It wouldn't have been the "bombshell" people treated it as, just another unconfirmed thing on the pile. Which it still is.

Buzzfeed implied Mueller had evidence to prove it, which would have been HUGE if true but Mueller put a bullet in that.

And unfortunately Buzzfeed and anyone who jumped too hard on the story gives The Right a little easy cover for their "fake news" bull. A bad day for any major media outlet is a bad day for all media, sadly. Even though it seems like most media did their job and treated this as uncorroborated.

lol if you think this is close to over, this story is just getting started

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

as Susan points out here, we know (1) cohen lied to Congress and (2) he did so in direct consultation with Trump's lawyers

https://twitter.com/TheViewFromLL2/status/1086435391882842112

it's just inaccurate to say donald trump directly told him to lie

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Jaxyon posted:

All y'all in this thread are so ready to drop hot takes on the state of the media and accept framing, it's a developing story, give it a bit.

Eddie Brock got fired but he turned out to be right in the end.

the one person who could unequivocally reject the buzzfeed story came out and said it was not accurate. that's not "framing" - that's a cold hard slap in the face to buzzfeed's credibility.

yes, the NYT has poo poo op-eds and good ole Maggie should be tarred and feathered, but their investigative journalism remains some of the best in the world. an investigative journalism department like that can't just be grown in a year or two - it takes years to develop the culture, credibility and connections that a shop like the NYT or WaPo has.

Seph fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 19, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hahaha I loving knew it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
One reading of this is that it was actually the Trump kids who ordered Cohen, which would fit with the 'white house officials he was in contact with' and 'executives of the foundation' stuff.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Seph posted:

the one person who could unequivocally reject the buzzfeed story came out and said it was not accurate. that's not "framing" - that's a cold hard slap in the face to buzzfeed's credibility.

again, not true

“BuzzFeed’s description of specific statements to the Special Counsel’s Office, and characterization of documents and testimony obtained by this office, regarding Michael Cohen’s Congressional testimony are not accurate.”

this is a complaint about some unknown specific elements of their reporting in a way so vague that the reporting could be 99% correct and this statement from the SCO could still be technically true

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Its also weird that Mueller's office no commented the story before it was released, and then release this statement a day later. Did they misunderstand the contents story when asked for comments?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Hahaha I loving knew it.

Well when you’re hopelessly pessimistic 100% of the time you’re bound to be occasionally correct.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

eke out posted:

again, not true

“BuzzFeed’s description of specific statements to the Special Counsel’s Office, and characterization of documents and testimony obtained by this office, regarding Michael Cohen’s Congressional testimony are not accurate.”

this is a complaint about some unknown specific elements of their reporting in a way so vague that the reporting could be 99% correct and this statement from the SCO could still be technically true

One way to parse that is that it's a statement that Buzzfeed did not get this story from the Special Counsel, but rather from some other source (SDNY). i.e., not a disputation of the facts of the story, but of the implication that it was sourced to Mueller's office.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it is good to see that Glenn Greenwald now completely trusts and respects the Special Counsel's office, and is certain their statements about investigative reporting are definitely true and not politically motivated

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
In a world where the media is constantly under attack from the president, make sure your goddamn reporting regarding the president is accurate ffs

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/RonanFarrow/status/1086434635003895810

i bet you this is why it's 'not accurate' even though i don't think this even directly contradicts buzzfeed.

it's just donald trump didn't personally, in writing, tell cohen to lie. his lawyers and execs at his company did, at his direction

That's actually a HUGE difference. Specifically the "memorialized" part. They start with the same basic premise that Trump instructed Cohen to lie but there's two VERY different stories.

"Cohen claims Trump instructed him to lie to Congress."
"Mueller has evidence to confirm Trump instructed Cohen to lie to Congress."

The former is scandalous and leads to questions, including those of Cohen's credibility. The latter is a bombshell that conjures up memories of John Dean announcing there are recordings and could well end Trump's presidency.

The story isn't dead because presumably Cohen will still make these claims. But if there's no corroborating evidence or witnesses then its just "he said/he said."

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 19, 2019

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Jaxyon posted:

All y'all in this thread are so ready to drop hot takes on the state of the media and accept framing, it's a developing story, give it a bit.

Eddie Brock got fired but he turned out to be right in the end.

Are you...are you using the example of a comic book character to address this thing today?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One way to parse that is that it's a statement that Buzzfeed did not get this story from the Special Counsel, but rather from some other source (SDNY). i.e., not a disputation of the facts of the story, but of the implication that it was sourced to Mueller's office.

We now know that there were both pending SDNY investigations into Trump as well as FBI counter-intel investigations into the Russians involved in the Trump tower meeting that were advanced enough that all communications were being intercepted from the Russians involved. The journos involved have basically said that their source was likely one of those. In general both the SDNY activities pre Preet Bharara's firing and the FBI counter intel investigations have been largely very quiet. The second one we only even learned about a month ago from court filings.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

That's actually a HUGE difference. They start with the same basic premise that Trump instructed Cohen to lie but there's two VERY different stories.

The former is scandalous and leads to questions, including those of Cohen's credibility. The latter is a bombshell that conjures up memories of John Dean announcing there are recordings and could well end Trump's presidency.

The story isn't dead because presumably Cohen will still make these claims. But if there's no corroborating evidence or witnesses then its just "he said/he said."

Yeah. This story made a splash because it claimed there was finally, loving finally hard evidence of Trump doing the things we all know he did. Without that it's just more of the same poo poo we've seen over and over. Mueller's tweet doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, but it also doesn't mean that it does exist, and that's what sucks. Give Trump a pinprick of an out and there he goes.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

Its also weird that Mueller's office no commented the story before it was released, and then release this statement a day later. Did they misunderstand the contents story when asked for comments?

It’s worth noting that we have no idea what Miller’s office was asked to comment on, and that under normal journalistic standards Buzzfeed would have not shown Muller the article, just some general background information. Having dealt with the media in a handful of cases, it’s not uncommon for a quote to be taken out of context, or for a story to be presented one way in an interview but written with an entirely different angle for publication. Unless you can be 100% certain that the reporters aren’t going to misconstrue your words, ‘no comment’ is almost always the best course of action for high-profile stories like this.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

That's actually a HUGE difference. They start with the same basic premise that Trump instructed Cohen to lie but there's two VERY different stories.

if you believe ronan farrow, who talked to some of the same sources apparently, the key dispute is whether trump personally told Cohen to lie. farrow thinks they went too far in implying that, because the instructions instead came from the executives and lawyers he was coordinating with (who all work directly for trump).

this alternative is not the same as "there's no corroborating evidence" - it's just that it's Don jr. and alan weisselberg and don mcgahn and co whose names will be on the communications telling him to lie, and trumpworld will pretend the president knows nothing about why these rogues decided to betray him

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Well if Trump is anything like our good friend Baby Hitler he’s good at giving unwritten orders.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

The Glumslinger posted:

Rudy is back on the press tour

https://twitter.com/ChrisMegerian/status/1086399728663781376
https://twitter.com/ChrisMegerian/status/1086400541813436416

Didn't Dowd meet with Mueller for like 20 hours without the WH knowing?

This was kind of answered later on, but I wanted to add a detail:
The lawyer who sat with Mueller for those 20 hours was Don McGahn, who was not Donald Trump's lawyer, he was the White House Counsel. Meaning that he has no legal obligation to confidentiality for anything that Trump did before entering the White House, or anything he does outside of the White House.
(Lawyers for an organization have the organization as a client, not the employees, if Bill Gates tells a Microsoft lawyer that he killed a drifter to get an erection, that isn't privileged communication).
If Trump blabbed to McGahn about any of this stuff, and the Special Counsel questioned it about him, he wouldn't be able to claim confidentiality.

The lawyer that according to Giuliani, discussed the testimony with Cohen was John Dowd, who was Trump's personal attorney.

I am not a lawyer, and this is some pretty complicated material, but here is where this gets really, really complicated.

Rudy Giuliani, the President's current lawyer, made a statement about whether John Dowd, the president's former lawyer, talked about testimony with Michael Cohen, an even more former lawyer. That is a lot of lawyers. When John Dowd was talking to Michael Cohen, were they two lawyers representing a single client, with privileged legal communication? If Cohen was not at the time Trump's lawyer, and he wasn't Dowd's client, then Dowd can be questioned about whether he instructed Cohen to lie, and he has to either answer or take the fifth. Furthermore, because Giuliani has made public statements about Cohen and Dowd speaking, that might also compromise the privilege.

I am really not sure on any of this, though.

glowing-fish fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 19, 2019

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

eke out posted:

again, not true

you're right it could still be 99% accurate based on a generous interpretation, or it could be 0% accurate based on the how most people are reading it

let me take out all the fluff to make it more clear: "Buzzfeed's description of specific statements... and characterization of documents and testimony... are not accurate"

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

eke out posted:

it is good to see that Glenn Greenwald now completely trusts and respects the Special Counsel's office, and is certain their statements about investigative reporting are definitely true and not politically motivated

[countless court documents detailing Manafort's crimes and Russia's attempts to influence the election]

Glenn: yeah but where's the evidence idiot sheep :smug:

[vague one sentence statement disputing details of a Buzzfeed story]

Glenn: HAHA you losers got owned. i'm right once again :smug:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It's not entirely unfeasible that the Mueller Investigation would deny that it came from them to protect their investigation work either.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Catastrophizing isn't really appropriate here. The statement is extremely measured.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing, as much as right wing media wants people to think so.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Taerkar posted:

It's not entirely unfeasible that the Mueller Investigation would deny that it came from them to protect their investigation work either.

This seems unlikely, imo

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

VH4Ever posted:

Are you...are you using the example of a comic book character to address this thing today?

Listen we both know the lab is experimenting on humans.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
What’s annoying is that this has handed Trump a huge win at a time when he really needed something, so unnecessary and frustrating

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr. Powers posted:

I think you may have misunderstood. I wasn't trying to make any real statement. Just jokes.

Jokes? On SA? You motherfucker!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/status/1086427977011920897

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
Good job Buzzfeed, you done failed and now I have listen to idiots spout fake news even more.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dog Friday posted:

What’s annoying is that this has handed Trump a huge win at a time when he really needed something, so unnecessary and frustrating

michael cohen already pled guilty to lying for trump on this issue, this is not a huge win. a huge win is opening the government with funding for a wall, or actually having any of his indicted associates win their legal battles

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Even if BuzzFeed is right in the end, it was idiotic of them to drop this without being able to fully corroborate.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Cervix-A-Lot posted:

Good job Buzzfeed, you done failed and now I have listen to idiots spout fake news even more.

You don't have to...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
God loving dammit. I knew it. I expressed concern earlier because it was taking too long to be independently verified and I just had this gut feeling about the story. God drat poo poo rear end bitch gently caress.