Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The interior is my favourite bit, just loving LOOK at it. GPS on the CRT and all stereo controls on the passenger side which means you basically need someone sat there to run sound and just how baller an existence is that?

...when you have the stereo blasting and are cruising the valley of lasers...

:yeshaha:

E: poo poo, content

https://i.imgur.com/2r2IAMF.mp4

E2: important comma

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

honda whisperer posted:

Looks at the front... Classy

Looks at the back... But not to classy to loving party!

Seriously though I need this in my life.

Edit: looks at the interior and slams a cassette of carpenter Brut in the dash and peels out of the garage.

This thing belongs in the Turbo Killer video, which is pretty AI

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Oh my god.

I went mechanic to machinist 5 years ago. I own a tig welder. I thought I was cool. I am nothing.

If I took everything I ever learned and put it towards an 11 year build... I wouldn't even come close. And it's being done with a mill, a tig, and a complete lack of the concept of limits.

Click this link if you haven't. Read the whole thing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's extremely impressive, but I don't think it's as unbelievable as people are making it out to be. The guy has been working on this single engine for eleven years. Basically, every page of that thread took the guy a year to complete. That's about what I'd expect for a competent mechanic/machinist/engineer working in their spare time.

Like, it's still one of the most impressive engine builds I've ever seen, but condensing it into a thread you can read in 20 minutes makes it seem like he completed it a lot more quickly and easily than it really was.

For a point of comparison, the project binky guys have "only" been working for like four years, and they've built nearly an entire car.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That guy has done in 11 years what I couldn't do with a lifetime. It has nothing to do with labor rate.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Sagebrush posted:

It's extremely impressive, but I don't think it's as unbelievable as people are making it out to be. The guy has been working on this single engine for eleven years. Basically, every page of that thread took the guy a year to complete. That's about what I'd expect for a competent mechanic/machinist/engineer working in their spare time.

Like, it's still one of the most impressive engine builds I've ever seen, but condensing it into a thread you can read in 20 minutes makes it seem like he completed it a lot more quickly and easily than it really was.

For a point of comparison, the project binky guys have "only" been working for like four years, and they've built nearly an entire car.

Then please show us something even close to the insanity that guy has done.

Ill wait

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
I'm pretty sure I saw this here a long while ago but it always gives me a smile.
https://i.imgur.com/4xE3vsE.mp4

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I was drinking so heavy on the hyperbole but there are a few things that still make it insane. First that he's forcing two different engines to be friends. If he'd started with the heads and designed a block to be machined it would still be awesome but less so. Second that he's covering almost everything himself. I know fabricators, machinists, welders, etc who could do any one area of it but I don't know any who could do it all even with 11 years. That's a lot of talent for one person in my opinion.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DiggityDoink posted:

I'm pretty sure I saw this here a long while ago but it always gives me a smile.

That man fucks.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

xzzy posted:

really if you're looking at an F40 you're doing it wrong anyways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YPabCzxMXM

I swear this is a cut down version, I remember seeing a longer clip a billion years ago but it appears to have been wiped off the internet.

You're just not a proper baller until you're driving a sports car at full boil around a race track while wearing loafers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUVkVB3SUf4

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I’m on the first page.

The dude cleaned, sized, and tig welded a patch for a hole he mistakenly cut through the head’s water jacket. He did the entire patch DOWN THE INTAKE RUNNER, while working nearly blind, and it WORKED.

That’s page one.

Any of us would have written off the head at that. And this isn’t a dime a dozen Honda head, mind, it’s an impossibly tricky and expensive to replace Ferrari casting. Not only is he skilled, but he’s also confident enough to know that he can bail himself out. Absolutely mental.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

DiggityDoink posted:

What a legend.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DiggityDoink posted:

Mad Max 5 looking good.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Mad Max 5 looking good.
Your post just made me realize that my perfect Fury Road sequel (prequel?) is set in the same universe, but with the juxtaposition of the automotive insanity we saw in Fury Road and an otherwise normal-looking society. Retcon the Gigahorse to be a normal car prior to the apocalypse popping off. :black101:

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

lol this is bad posting

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
gofundme this goonmeet tia: https://cruisefever.net/cruise-ship-with-a-go-kart-track-begins-cruises-out-of-miami/

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
"drunk on mojitos, the man was heard loudly making wagers about being able to put one of the racecars through the fence and into the ocean. Last seen having converted the fibreglass shell into a makeshift raft, he is expected to be picked up by the coastguard shortly"

Either that, or converting to karts to some manner of Mad Max-esque deathcar and dominating the laser tag arena.

Memento fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 22, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Neat, but the synthesized exhaust noises are a little much because when you have all of the cars racing by it sounds like a bunch of keyboards.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yeah I'd like to point out that utter maniac not only did thatt gobsmacking list of things to that engine (You could write pages and STILL not do that insanity justice) but he wrote his own ECU code. Becuase nothing out there supported the engine and car - ok yeah fine sure there's nothing off the shelf that would be compatible with his swap but still......

I dont think he even used the existing open source ECU projects as a basis. gently caress me thats impressive

In fairness and having looked into it the ecu he's using is a commercial product designed to be reconfigured like that - there's a bunch of code blocks and stuff to link together to do various stuff. It's actually at the core of the AEM Infinity Ecus. I'm probably downloading the software tonight as it might be a useful tool for some stuff I want to do.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY

http://www.speedhunters.com/2019/01/the-suzuki-jimny-takes-over-tokyo/

quote:

Every year at Tokyo Auto Salon, I always make a point to find the most popular platform among Japanese tuning shops. Without a shadow of a doubt, the new Suzuki Jimny was 2019’s winner.

People just can’t seem to get enough of the little off-roader, and the fact that a vast number of tuners are working their magic on them is testament to the model’s popularity in Japan right now.

:allears:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Olympic Mathlete posted:

JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY JIMNY

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That Jimny truck is loving incredible.

"Hey google, remind me to import a Jimny in 25 years."

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Everybody wants that LITTLE D

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

kimbo305 posted:

Everybody wants that LITTLE D

buddy, some of us already have that LITTLE D

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

JLR had a Jimny in the design studio before this popped up and that's what they called it, The Little Defender...

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
dammit america little rad cars are rad. as well as trucklets. kaker you are a FL native right? how much can i get a legal little trucklet for?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

sneakyfrog posted:

dammit america little rad cars are rad. as well as trucklets. kaker you are a FL native right? how much can i get a legal little trucklet for?

And now I'm looking at this: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1980-suzuki-lj80/

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Every day we don't get those is another day I hate the assholes that couldn't be bothered to not drive Samurai's like dipshits they were high center-of-gravity trucks and got them pulled from the US market. Jeep got pounded on by the same hammer, but were big and iconic enough to shrug it off.

edit: to be fair, I'm not certain that they'd meet crash safety or emissions in the US, but that's beside the point.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i had a great time with samurais, sidekicks and amigos for sure :3: they are like the perfect size

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I take lots of issues with this person's article. You don't "take the fenders off to register it as a kei car" motherfucker they have to have a 660cc engine in them too! A Jimny is not a Jimny Sierra! :mad:

sneakyfrog posted:

Which one :smug:

Seriously though you can expect people to want to charge you around 7-8k for a Jimny, vast majority of them are going to be tin tips or bubble tops and will be modified in some way or another. The blue one in the picture above is a bubble top, others are tins. You gotta be careful though because a lot of these guys are jerks and use the import zone as a way to up-sell all sorts of stuff about them. Sometimes the 5 digit odometer has rolled over but they'll claim it still only has 40k kms on it but they will KNOW as you get the export certificate in Japanese that will straight-up give you the last two shaken inspections done in the last 4 years that will list the actual mileage. If it was bought from auction then it will have a little * next to the odometer indicating the mileage can't be verified. Anyone that imports one of these will know and lots of them play dumb.
I personally like completely original and stock OEM ones.
They also do not get a million+1 MPG either, high 30s, 40s at best. They are tiny turbos and you will want to spool them and get the revs up and booooooost.

I've sold the blue one to a guy in Puerto Rico, might sell that center purple one soon to a guy with a rural postal route, and I've got a blue convertible one that will be here within the week.

Jimnys are so goddamned rad and I pine badly for a new one. I know I could get dirty and illegally import a new one and drive it around on my dealer plates without ever raising suspicion. Still a bit too scared. :(

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if they can be a babby slow fast car id be so down.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

This is so wrong it wraps around to being loving awesome.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DiggityDoink posted:

This is so wrong it wraps around to being loving awesome.

Yeah that loving owns tbqh

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

As a fan of sick interiors and concept cars I give you the Alfa Romeo Delfino from 1983. I has a V6 Busso under the bonnet and we all know those sound the loving tits. It also has one of the raddest interiors ever plus POP UPS. Wingmirrors? No. This concept adheres to the first rule of Italian driving as explained by the late, great Raul Julia from the Gumball Rally in 1976...

:fap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTVDpOaTGsc

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

I'm fairly certain that's TrouserChili's old International.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

"Rust off now, motherfucker!"

edit:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'm fairly certain that's TrouserChili's old International.

Awesome in any case.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

As a fan of sick interiors and concept cars I give you the Alfa Romeo Delfino from 1983. I has a V6 Busso under the bonnet and we all know those sound the loving tits. It also has one of the raddest interiors ever plus POP UPS. Wingmirrors? No. This concept adheres to the first rule of Italian driving as explained by the late, great Raul Julia from the Gumball Rally in 1976...

That's badass. Anything with a Busso V6 is automatically badass as well, so they didn't really need to even bother with the rest to be honest.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

KakerMix posted:

I take lots of issues with this person's article. You don't "take the fenders off to register it as a kei car" motherfucker they have to have a 660cc engine in them too! A Jimny is not a Jimny Sierra! :mad:

The best way to take in SH articles is to enjoy the pictures and ignore the words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AIest car or MOST AIest car?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-volkswagen-phaeton-8/