Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
In between the referendum and now there was also a general election in which Brexit barely featured so you could argue that democratically speaking the UK does not really have a problem with what's going on

Regardless of how they got into this mess and who is responsible for it, the EU has an obligation to EU constituents and there are already enough existential crises to handle, both internal and external, without spoonfeeding a country that seems hell bent on self-destruction. If anything an economically disadvantaged UK would serve as a good example to other EU sceptic parties

Which is not an argument FOR Brexit, but it looks like Brexit is going to happen anyway so gently caress it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
From the perspective that general sanity and decency could really use a win right now, I want the UK to back down from Brexit. Not down with accelerationism or making an example because, well, the people hardest hit by this will not be the assholes who are to blame for it.

On the other hand, from a pragmatic perspective...UK, you've poo poo the bed, now sleep in it.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Lord Stimperor posted:

I feel Randler is grumpier than usual today

In the contrary. I am esctatic about the impending victory of democracy and return of England's sovereignity.

I have even started going vegan in order to prepare for all the crushed hopes and dreams upon which I will feast.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Randler posted:

In the contrary. I am esctatic about the impending victory of democracy and return of England's sovereignity.

I have even started going vegan in order to prepare for all the crushed hopes and dreams upon which I will feast.

Angry gammon tears are animal product, though

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

I wish we had a parliament like the UK. Did you know there's a mace that is the ghost of the queen and if you steal it and defeat some girl called "black rod" in a swordfight then parliament gets disbanded? Also, sometimes they vote by who shouts loudest.

Do yourself a favour, if you haven't, and watch some British debates. Their parliament president equivalent wears Karnival ties every day and his job is to make fun of people who shout too loud at the wrong time.

It's amazing.

edit:
I mean I say still keep the Bundestag for actual voting and stuff, but do the debates in this format. I think this solves Politikverdrossenheit.
Can't we make up some weird special traditions? Like, you can disband a session by climbing the Bundesadler, but if you get caught half way by a guy dressed in Lederhosen, you are ejected for two days during which you are only given water and Currywurst.

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 17, 2019

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I will grant John Bercow adylum post Clean Break Brexit if he allows me to use his ORDAH as my ringtone.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Randler posted:

I will grant John Bercow adylum post Clean Break Brexit if he allows me to use his ORDAH as my ringtone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X5F7jhQZd8

I have to admit, I'm quite a fan of Norbert Lammert and would have loved to have him stay Bundestagspräsident, even if it's just to see more dialogues between him and Gysi, but Mr. Bercow brings the idea of a Redeparlament on a whole new dimension.

You know it must be a beast when Russia Today says so.

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 17, 2019

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Nobnob posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X5F7jhQZd8

I have to admit, I'm quite a fan of Norbert Lammert and would have loved to have him stay Bundestagspräsident, even if it's just to see more dialogues between him and Gysi, but Mr. Bercow brings the idea of a Redeparlament on a whole new dimension.

You know it must be a beast when Russia Today says so.

lol at the subtitles: "this debate must be conducted in a seemly manor". I wonder if that was intentional :v:

also agreeing with everything re: Bercow and weird traditions

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

caps on caps on caps posted:

edit:
I mean I say still keep the Bundestag for actual voting and stuff, but do the debates in this format. I think this solves Politikverdrossenheit.
Can't we make up some weird special traditions? Like, you can disband a session by climbing the Bundesadler, but if you get caught half way by a guy dressed in Lederhosen a Pickelhaube, you are ejected for two days during which you are only given water and Currywurst.

Ftfy. (Also the guy wearing the Haube has to poke the guy with the Pickel without taking it off, or else it doesn't count.)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Since our sovereign is the German people, Bundestag shouldn't be able to tag without its symbol being present which is a pair of white sports socks and a beach towel

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Since our sovereign is the German people, Bundestag shouldn't be able to tag without its symbol being present which is a pair of white sports socks and a beach towel

Nononono, you got it all wrong

Reduce the number of seats in the Bundestag so that not all MdBs will be able to sit down, and they only can reserve a spot if they mark it with a towel

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

System Metternich posted:

Nononono, you got it all wrong

Reduce the number of seats in the Bundestag so that not all MdBs will be able to sit down, and they only can reserve a spot if they mark it with a towel
then get some british expats in there as well

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Replace the eagle with a Dackel

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Sereri posted:

To properly represent the German spirit, all arguments shall be presented in the form of bickering.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not seeing the difference there.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Wusste gar nicht dass Entenhausen so ein hartes Pflaster ist :v:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
yeah the call it the School of Hard Ducks

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

pidan posted:

in the form of bickering.

I think they are already speaking German in the Bundestag

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

System Metternich posted:

Wusste gar nicht dass Entenhausen so ein hartes Pflaster ist :v:

German hip hop in a picture?

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I think they are already speaking German in the Bundestag

Only what the ivory tower elitists of the Dudenverlag want you to think German is. I think all Abgeordnete should be required to only communicate in their local dialect. Communication will be effectively impossible turning the legislative process essentially random. I expect the quality of legislation to increase greatly.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
By the way, there's a Handballturnier again, and Deutschland is doing well so far. So don't be surprised if we get further and people are talking about it on social media. Wouldn't want you guys/gals to be surprised again.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Torrannor posted:

By the way, there's a Handballturnier again, and Deutschland is doing well so far. So don't be surprised if we get further and people are talking about it on social media. Wouldn't want you guys/gals to be surprised again.
Ist Handball das, wo alle das dürfen was der Torwart darf?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Simply Simon posted:

Ist Handball das, wo alle das dürfen was der Torwart darf?

Handball ist das, wo eine schlechte Verteidigung sich nicht mit Abseits rausreden kann.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Sereri posted:

Put me on the dogdamned flag already!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So, a bit off-topic, but I figure it might be worth a try. A few days ago I got into an accident where I got hit by a car as a pedestrian, though fortunately at low speed with relatively little in the way of injury. Anyhow, one of the policemen at the scene suggested I should hit up the driver's insurance and see if I can get some Schmerzensgeld. I've looked up some of the tables, and basically I'd end up at the low end of the spectrum with only some contusions and maybe a mild concussion. So I'm not looking at some huge payout (or huge effort, for that matter), but I figure if I might get them to throw a couple hundred at me to leave them alone it might be worth it. So basically now I'm asking whether anybody here dealt with something similar before and has an idea how to best go about it, pratfalls to avoid, that sort of thing?

Also, somewhat related question that occurred to me at the time: What's the appropriate way to address individual Polizeibeamte these days? Because I'm pretty sure "Herr Wachtmeister" is just a tad outdated :v:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Scheißbulle"

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Perestroika posted:

So, a bit off-topic, but I figure it might be worth a try. A few days ago I got into an accident where I got hit by a car as a pedestrian, though fortunately at low speed with relatively little in the way of injury. Anyhow, one of the policemen at the scene suggested I should hit up the driver's insurance and see if I can get some Schmerzensgeld. I've looked up some of the tables, and basically I'd end up at the low end of the spectrum with only some contusions and maybe a mild concussion. So I'm not looking at some huge payout (or huge effort, for that matter), but I figure if I might get them to throw a couple hundred at me to leave them alone it might be worth it. So basically now I'm asking whether anybody here dealt with something similar before and has an idea how to best go about it, pratfalls to avoid, that sort of thing?

Also, somewhat related question that occurred to me at the time: What's the appropriate way to address individual Polizeibeamte these days? Because I'm pretty sure "Herr Wachtmeister" is just a tad outdated :v:

I got hit by a car while on my bicycle. I couldn't use my arm for two days and being self-employed I got two Tagessätze and Schmerzensgeld from the other guys insurance. The Schmerzensgeld was IIRC 200€ . Though I only got 66% as I was partly at fault (and had to pay like 20€ for this Ordnungswidrigkeit afterwards). Also they covered 66% of the costs for repairing my bike. It wasn't much of a hassle, though I can't remember how I informed them. I'd go for it.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwtetumpm4A

Endlich ein Film über das echte Berlin!

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

oliwan posted:

If it's anything like "Paris, je t'aime" then it's actually a collection of short movies where some are pretty good, others are mediocre and one or two are really bad and/or super weird

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
I like that the only German actor in that is Veronica Ferres.

Edit: Oh, Sibel Kekilli as well, that's it though.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
At least two of the video recommendations for that trailer are Listicles of Horrible Movie Bombs. :thunk:

Also, I'm pretty sure that's Sibel Kekilli driving the cab.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Oh dang, John Wick 3 trailer.

With horse.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

oliwan posted:

you mislinked the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2kUEXW_VhA

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Eezee posted:

I like that the only German actor in that is Veronica Ferres.

She's apparently a huge rear end in a top hat IRL though apparently (and not just the "women who know and say what they want are called a bitch" way) :(

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Decius posted:

She's apparently a huge rear end in a top hat IRL though apparently (and not just the "women who know and say what they want are called a bitch" way) :(

I do not believe anybody who hangs with Maschmeyer can be bad.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Didn’t know oliwan was a Zeit journo
https://www.zeit.de/2019/04/eltern-kleinkinder-cafe-freizeit-ruecksicht

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Can't read the article behind the paywall, but agree with the runner (for perhaps the wrong reasons as I can't read the rest).

My sister has a lovely daughter. Whenever my mother (so, the niece's nana) came to pick her up, the niece would try to run away and hide. She'd yell 'NO!' when she was asked if she wanted to give Nana a hug. She would cry if she was asked whether she wanted to spend a day there. She loved all the other older ladies in the family though. The grandmother, on her part, would lament that something was horribly wrong with the child: always in a bad mood, always moping and crying and never laughing. Surely, she reasoned, it was my sister's modern way of raising children that caused this (a.k.a. not exclusively giving the daughter girly stuff, having her play with other children in gay communist day care as opposed to locking her up in the house as we had been).

It transpired that whenever Nana would pick up the child, their version of a day of toddler-appropriate activities consisted of: sitting at home in the chair and reading the news while the toddler was allowed to inspect the surroundings but of course not touch anything for fear of DANGEROUS. Nana would take the toddler shopping and basically told her to sit in the corner while she was picking out clothes for half an hour. They'd go have to a fancy Italian restaurant where the kid had to sit still for an hour and be surprised that the kid hated that.

Please do age-appropriate stuff with your children.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 19, 2019

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I really appreciate how people reveal their bad media tastes by Libulini paywall articles.

And I'm keeping that autocorrect.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

How can the police just steal people's tents and poo poo, what's going on there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Being a parent is basically hell, why would anyone begrudge them a nice piece of Kuchen. Ah well, willkommen in Deutschland. I already routinely get yelled at by boomers in cafes because apparently my voice is too loud or something and they really want to nachdenk and read the paper in the öffentlicher Raum, so l won’t have any compunctions about heading there with a toddler, should I ever have one.

Wengy fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jan 19, 2019