Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
they've been pushing this theory for over a decade and their evidence is flimsy. for example the smiley face graffiti is questionable and highly circumstantial

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smiley_face_murder_theory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

And the GHB?

Edit: I guess the obvious answer is "They got high, fell into a body of water, and drowned."

To expand on this further, while the Daily Beast article calls GHB a "date rape drug," a quick Google search reveals that it's not solely a date rape drug.

Wikipedia posted:

GHB has been used in a medical setting as a general anesthetic and as a treatment for cataplexy, narcolepsy, and alcoholism.[2][3] It is also used illegally as an intoxicant, as an athletic performance enhancer, as a date rape drug,[4] and as a recreational drug.

Thus, there's no foul play necessary to explain why a bunch of college athletes would have it in their systems.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Haha didn't we all think this after W?

Can you recommend an article or a book? I read something about it years ago but hardly remember any details sadly.
Well, to answer my own question, here's a good looking (i.e. long) article from Wired: https://www.wired.com/story/robert-muellers-search-for-justice-for-pan-am-103/

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah plenty of people use GHB for fun. It's not even primarily a date rape drug.

Also, "got drunk/high and accidentally died by ________" is not at all uncommon amongst young men. "Falling" and "drowning" are ahead of everything else that could fill that gap except "crashing a car".

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1086421875545260032

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1086423990124584960

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 19, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Interesting to see that the journalists who published the story are emphasizing the Mueller team's reaction.

Also,
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1086426180448907265

It's absolutely a peculiar statement from Mueller camp because they are denying having the specific evidence, not denying that Trump ordered anything to that effect. Who knows, until someone involved speaks to it at more length, it's hard to say what aspects of the story are true and which aren't. The one peculiar thing of this is that the journos involved were saying that their information was coming from people separate from the Mueller investigation, eg either from SDNY or a separate FBI investigation that was already ongoing before the Mueller investigation started up, which we know was indeed happening as the Russian lawyer was already actively the subject of a wiretap at the time of the trump tower meeting.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 19, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Interesting to see that the journalists who published the story are emphasizing the Mueller team's reaction.

Also,
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1086426180448907265

It's absolutely a peculiar statement from Mueller camp because they are denying having the specific evidence, not denying that Trump ordered anything to that effect. Who knows, until someone involved speaks to it at more length, it's hard to say what aspects of the story are true and which aren't. The one peculiar thing of this is that the journos involved were saying that their information was coming from people separate from the Mueller investigation, eg either from SDNY or a separate FBI investigation that was already ongoing before the Mueller investigation started up, which we know was indeed happening as the Russian lawyer was already actively the subject of a wiretap at the time of the trump tower meeting.

i guess we will know when the mueller report gets released and or leaked.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Hmm...

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1086433339202916353

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Yeah plenty of people use GHB for fun. It's not even primarily a date rape drug.

Letterkenny has a plot arc where they sell GHB with green dye added so it can’t be used as a date rape drug.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

friendly 2 da void posted:

If there was an organized gang of serial killers targeting young men, that would be one of the most striking things to ever happen in American criminal history. Probably world criminal history. Is there a single documented instance of serial killers working together en masse?

The Following

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
The US government

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt

predicto posted:

I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that Newsom deserves credit for being maybe the single biggest catalyst in the chain of events that ultimately led to the legalization of gay marriage across the country.

I agree and it was the right thing to do. Unfortunately he did it the spring of a presidential election year and I believe played a pivotal role in Bush’s re-election by energizing the evangelicals.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is Pelosi, in adding 1 billion to border funding to the anti-shutdown bill, in fact caving in after a month? Why now?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Grouchio posted:

Is Pelosi, in adding 1 billion to border funding to the anti-shutdown bill, in fact caving in after a month? Why now?

The conflict was never "border funding", that was RW narrative. The conflict was "a border wall". Pelosi has been clear all along that she supports "border funding" but not "a wall." Republicans have advanced the argument that you can not have border security without a wall the Democrats have consistently made the argument that there's a lot they can do to protect the borders, but the wall is stupid/barbaric/immoral. If she agrees to a marginal increase to the stuff she has openly supported and not the thing Trump has demanded and Trump agrees that is in fact Trump "caving."

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 19, 2019

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Also, "got drunk/high and accidentally died by ________" is not at all uncommon amongst young men. "Falling" and "drowning" are ahead of everything else that could fill that gap except "crashing a car".

Yeah GHB is used recreationally, but the number of stories I've heard of people who ended up date raped (or at least having their consent boundaries pushed) while on G is pretty high. It's also a drug where the gap between "gets you high" and "puts you in serious medical danger" is razor-thin.

It's not entirely inconceivable that a lot of these cases were "person ODs on G and dies, then 'friends' dump the body in the river rather than have to deal with the cops/authorities".

As an aside, the idea of it actually being used like rohypnol as a "slip it in someone's drink" kind of date rape drug seems unlikely. Even one drink is enough to push people into overdose when they're on G. Giving it to someone who's probably been drinking already would be far more likely to outright kill them. It's a lot more that people take it willingly, but get taken advantage of while on it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

There are areas in the Netherlands where GHB abuse/addiction is a serious problem. I don’t think it is as widespread as crystal meth in the USA, but it is definitely not considered just a party drug any longer.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mierenneuker posted:

There are areas in the Netherlands where GHB abuse/addiction is a serious problem. I don’t think it is as widespread as crystal meth in the USA, but it is definitely not considered just a party drug any longer.

I don't think GHB has ever really been a party drug in the US, it's more of a mickey people get slipped in order to get robbed/raped.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is GHB significantly better or worse than GWB? That's the only one I know.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Edit: nm

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Trump must be the dumbest world leader since Ferdinand VII of Spain.

https://mobile.twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1086624769280299008

:lol:
Those poll numbers are incredible!
https://mobile.twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1086625083462946817

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Party Plane Jones posted:

I don't think GHB has ever really been a party drug in the US, it's more of a mickey people get slipped in order to get robbed/raped.

GHB is used a bit in the rave scene. It helps coming down from eating beans all night. Same with ketamine.

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

I can never have plastic surgery, because I don't feel like chipping in another five bucks to change the picture.

ummel posted:

It helps coming down from eating beans all night.

WHO LIKES BEANS?

[your signature is being processed. check the notification bar for updates]

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

insert_funny posted:

WHO LIKES BEANS?

Think this guy will run again in 2020?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Galrog has been a wise and just administrator for over a thousand years.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I've broken out this graph before, but:

Compare the strong approve vs somewhat approve, and then the strong disapprove from the somewhat disapprove. We talk a lot about the die-hard MAGACHUDs, but Trump's support within the Republican base is actually pretty soft. If he fucks up in a big enough way, a third of his support could vanish very quickly. On the other hand, nobody seems to ever talk about the die-hard anti-Trumpers, but they not only form the vast, vast majority of anti-Trump sentiment, they actually dwarf his total support.

At the nadir of Obama's popularity, 3 out of 4 Republicans strongly disapproved of him. Currently, 82% of Democrats strongly disapprove of Trump. That means that Democrats hate Trump more than racists hated a black president.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 19, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Party Plane Jones posted:

GHB has absolutely been a big thing recreationally in the US, particularly in the 1990s. Used to be people could buy the direct precursor (GBL) from bulk chemical companies and it was extremely available.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Nixon surviving impeachment was mathematically impossible. Trump? I don't know. The Senate just failed to preserve a sanctions regimen in a move that makes them all look like Russian toadies.

Mustached Demon posted:

That's because the turtle's a Putin stooge.

Y’all sound like Q anon posters.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Kobayashi posted:

Y’all sound like Q anon posters.

The Russiagate stuff is basically Q anon for liberals.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Your Parents posted:

The Russiagate stuff is basically Q anon for liberals.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

congrats, you've discovered a meme.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah don't go around posting Russiagate stuff that doesn't have pretty ample evidence. There's some real poo poo there, but you look like an insane twitter personality when you start calling everyone Russian agent.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah don't go around posting Russiagate stuff that doesn't have pretty ample evidence. There's some real poo poo there, but you look like an insane twitter personality when you start calling everyone Russian agent.

Yeah. Trump almost certainly hosed up and tried to make money off business deals in Russia and then lied about it. Russia does not have agents controlling our government and media.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
FYI offering lucrative deals to profit off of business in Russia is explicitly how Russia acquires influence over officials

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm still willing to believe Russian infiltration and funding of the NRA.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Yes, how could a half billion dollar bribe possibly influence the judgement of someone? :thunk:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

FYI offering lucrative deals to profit off of business in Russia is explicitly how Russia acquires influence over officials

I posted slides from DOD PowerPoint describing literally this process in the Russia thread.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

BrandorKP posted:

I posted slides from DOD PowerPoint describing literally this process in the Russia thread.

Look it is absurd to suggest that russia controls anyone in the us govt, someone on the internet says so.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I think if you're worried about foreign nations influencing our own to our detriment, focusing with laser-like precision on Russia is really missing the forest for the trees, since they spend so little money on it. The Democrats probably spent more money to promote Russia in people's minds than Russia did.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Your Parents posted:

I think if you're worried about foreign nations influencing our own to our detriment, focusing with laser-like precision on Russia is really missing the forest for the trees, since they spend so little money on it. The Democrats probably spent more money to promote Russia in people's minds than Russia did.

Post some sources for this ridiculous speculation because it's open information now that Russia was offering half a billion dollar deals for influence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Look it is absurd to suggest that russia controls anyone in the us govt, someone on the internet says so.

They didn't go with that, it got "McCarthyism"-ed.