Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mng posted:

Sin City is great. It has a cannibalistic hobbit and Rutger Hauer getting his eyes pushed into his skull (probably).

Yeah, Sin City is open about its trashiness in a way Boondock Saints is not.

Also there’s a segment starring Clive Owen, so it’s got that going for it, which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I watched Predator on the plane last week. The original one.

No subtle movie moment, that's just a really great film.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The subtleness of Predator is that since Shane Black is involved, the movie takes place around Christmas.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okay I'm gonna sit back down with Sin City, maybe it was me. Always did think That Yellow Bastard was the weakest segment.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The Yellow Bastard is the weakest as it was the weakest story Frank Miller wrote.

I haven't seen A Dame to Kill For but the comic was pretty good.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

My favourite movie is Usual Suspects but idk what that says about me

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

iajanus posted:

Hmm, let us sit down in someone else’s office and talk about it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

How do we feel about people whose favourite movie is Sin City? Tried to rewatch that yesterday and man

it has not aged well

mostly cause it's become very clear that Frank Miller was as serious about the writing as the Boondock Saints guy apparently was.

e: but also the greenscreen looks hella cheap now

Sin City isn't made to look realistic, it's made to be a live action comic. Cheap is almost the point.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

iajanus posted:

Between Bryan Singer, Kevin Spacey, and what Gabriel Byrne said about production being halted because Spacey couldn’t help himself, I’ll never be able to watch that movie again.

Stephen Baldwin doesn’t help.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

If you really want to hate a Frank Miller comic based film, watch The Spirit.

In it Frank Miller takes a boring comic from the 30s(?), and tries to make it edgy by filming it similarly to the way he did teh Sin City movies, and adding whores. It's really bad.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Between Bryan Singer, Kevin Spacey, and what Gabriel Byrne said about production being halted because Spacey couldn’t help himself, I’ll never be able to watch that movie again.

Yikes!

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

BrigadierSensible posted:

In it Frank Miller takes a boring comic from the 30s(?), and tries to make it edgy by filming it similarly to the way he did teh Sin City movies, and adding whores. It's really bad.

Were the whores subtle?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite movie, the one I go back and watch year after year, despite knowing it by heart; the movie that is like a comfort blanket for me... is The Hobbit. Not the Peter Jackson monstrosities, the warm, cozy, lovingly crafted 1977 animated version

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My favorite movie is Airplane! and if I ever find anything subtle in that movie I’ll let you guys know.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Bloop posted:

My favorite movie, the one I go back and watch year after year, despite knowing it by heart; the movie that is like a comfort blanket for me... is The Hobbit. Not the Peter Jackson monstrosities, the warm, cozy, lovingly crafted 1977 animated version

Back in highschool I had found the soundtrack to that floating around a filesharing website and downloaded that thing so fast.

I never did find one for Return of the King which introduced us to the Minstrel of Gondor.

https://youtu.be/yW_ocZLaRdI

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Henchman of Santa posted:

My favorite movie is Airplane! and if I ever find anything subtle in that movie I’ll let you guys know.

The red zone/white zone/divorce routine is a callback to a similar although less humorous argument in the original novel

There now you owe me a beer :)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
- Nobody actually refers to Leslie Neilson’s character as ‘Shirley’ at any point in the movie. It was merely a reference to the character misunderstanding the word “surely”.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I just want you tell you: good luck. We’re all counting on you.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The thread has heard this before, but the entire thing is a direct parody of a movie from the fifties, and it's so close that the producers had to buy the rights to the original. It cost them $2500.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-v2BHNBVCs

It's very unsubtle, except for the fact that nobody saw the original

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Memento posted:

Is that the one where predator goes on holiday?....*tumbleweed*

anyway favourite movies that would raise red flags : underworld,twilight.

On my 18th birthday i went with friends to the cinema,got dragged to see underworld(2 or 3 i dont loving know) and then twilight,underworld was so dark it was almost impossible to see anything and twilight was just....bizarre.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I just want you tell you: good luck. We’re all counting on you.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

See this film is dumb as hell, but I love it. The only good thing I'll say about it that isn't Samuel Jackson's entire character is that whenever it's a Sin City ripoff, it's just in The Spirit's head. Whenever there's another character around, he looks like a dumbass and he's bumbling about. He only gets the hero treatment in his head, and as soon as someone else is paying attention to him, he's basically a comedy character.

It would have been a lot better if they weren't ripping off Sin City's entire visual style for no reason too.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
The movie that I'll always stop and watch is The 13th Warrior. I don't know why, I just love that movie, especially the "I LISTENED" part to explain why we can understand the rest of the Norsemen.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

RedMagus posted:

The movie that I'll always stop and watch is The 13th Warrior. I don't know why, I just love that movie, especially the "I LISTENED" part to explain why we can understand the rest of the Norsemen.

:yossame:

I think about that scene way too often for some reason

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Memento posted:

Here, I'll repost the subtle Predator moment for you

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Was rewatching Predator the other day and I noticed something new. When Dutch and Mac are looking at Blaine's body after he's shot by the Predator, Mac notes that the wounds were instantly cauterized shut.

Even in death, Blaine ain't got time to bleed.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Oh, that is good.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Up until recently, I thought Geena Davis played Older Dottie in the present (the whole story is a flashback), but no; that was Lynn Cartwright, with Geena Davis' voice. She just looked so much like her, it was nuts.
:aaaaa:

I saw that movie in the theater, not to mention a bunch of times since, and I never ever thought for one second that that could be anyone but Geena Davis with some good makeup. It had to have been the voice.

Slippery posted:

The red zone/white zone/divorce routine is a callback to a similar although less humorous argument in the original novel
The abortion (not divorce) conversation is a callback to a lovely dime-store novel called Airport, which inspired the movie by the same name, not Airplane! (which was based extremely heavily on the film Zero Hour!).

The most interesting thing about the entire red zone/white zone routine is that ZAZ hired the same two people who made those announcements at LAX at the time.

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 18:01 on Jan 19, 2019

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Hirayuki posted:

The abortion (not divorce) conversation is a callback to a lovely dime-store novel called Airport, which inspired the movie by the same name, not Airplane! (which was based extremely heavily on the film Zero Hour!)

poo poo you're right it was abortion, not divorce, good call.

Also yeah, I didnt mean to imply Aiport inspired Airplane. Airport was an Arthur Haley novel (he wrote a few similar ones including one about the auto industry I have here somewhere) and was part of a late 70s trend of disaster movies/lame novels. Airplane! references this trend as well obviously.

I know you know that stuff, I just felt like typing it I guess :)

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Okay, so I looked around and couldn't find what Byrne said. Could you elucidate?

quote:

The entire Baldwin family is a pox.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Slippery posted:

poo poo you're right it was abortion, not divorce, good call.

Also yeah, I didnt mean to imply Aiport inspired Airplane. Airport was an Arthur Haley novel (he wrote a few similar ones including one about the auto industry I have here somewhere) and was part of a late 70s trend of disaster movies/lame novels. Airplane! references this trend as well obviously.

Hirayuki posted:

The abortion (not divorce) conversation is a callback to a lovely dime-store novel called Airport, which inspired the movie by the same name, not Airplane! (which was based extremely heavily on the film Zero Hour!).

Arthur Haley, the guy who wrote the book Airport, also wrote the screenplay for Zero Hour.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Stephen Baldwin seems like a putz IRL, but his performance in The Usual Suspects was great. Everyone's was. Dan Hedaya is good in it. I'm not saying it's a perfect movie, but everyone in front of the camera did a fine job.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It came later but Top Secret! edges it out for me.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Stephen Baldwin seems like a putz IRL, but his performance in The Usual Suspects was great. Everyone's was. Dan Hedaya is good in it. I'm not saying it's a perfect movie, but everyone in front of the camera did a fine job.

I really liked Fled

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Scaramouche posted:

It came later but Top Secret! edges it out for me.

One of my favourites. I still find it astonishing that Chocolate Mousse is Captain Katanga in Raiders of the Lost Ark in essentially the same costume.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

This is exactly the kind of quality Predator-posting I would expect from someone who goes by the handle Big Grunty Secret.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

phasmid posted:

Okay, so I looked around and couldn't find what Byrne said. Could you elucidate?

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/gabriel-byrne-says-kevin-spaceys-sexual-behavior-halted-production-on-usual-suspects-2017-12?r=US&IR=T

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Weird. I'm guessing the two-day rest was to bail him out of jail/trouble then. You'd think that would piss the studio off bigtime, but that was his biggest film to date so... Hollywood.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

phasmid posted:

Weird. I'm guessing the two-day rest was to bail him out of jail/trouble then. You'd think that would piss the studio off bigtime, but that was his biggest film to date so... Hollywood.

Yeah and after that, when he won the Oscar for it, he would have been pretty untouchable without a major attitude change in the industry.

Fortunately, we're now getting that change. I hope it sticks.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

IUG posted:

See this film is dumb as hell, but I love it. The only good thing I'll say about it that isn't Samuel Jackson's entire character is that whenever it's a Sin City ripoff, it's just in The Spirit's head. Whenever there's another character around, he looks like a dumbass and he's bumbling about. He only gets the hero treatment in his head, and as soon as someone else is paying attention to him, he's basically a comedy character.

It would have been a lot better if they weren't ripping off Sin City's entire visual style for no reason too.

You've got it backward. Sin City was always an homage to Will Eisner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The Bloop posted:

The songs in that movie are funky as hell and extremely catchy.