Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business
She also called me out earlier on the fact that I drew all the guys all hesitant and all the ladies all confident, which is like, a perfect look into my ruined psyche lol.

Fortunately I still have other drawings to go, so I can consciously avoid that going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ever read The Power by Naomi Alderman? Just from the specifics of that callout...

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Do you like cyberpunk RPGs? Have you ever said to yourself "I wish someone would make a cyberpunk RPG based on...Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition?" No? Well too fuckin bad because Carbon 2185 is here to answer your unvoiced prayers, giving you all the things you could ever ask for in a cyberpunk game like:

-Random loot tables, so you know how much pocket change that hobo you murdered was carrying

-Six whole classes, two of which are variations on fighters

-Detailed economic systems, so you know how many hobos you need to murder to buy a new cybergun

-A wide array of legally distinct pregenerated cyberish punky characters for your playing enjoyment such as:

quote:

SFPD Retirement Office: Patrick Decker

Escaped blonde Synth: Ron Baton

Augmented Security Expert: Aaron Jespen

Former Special Forces Soldier in the wrong body: Hiroshi Horvath

And many more...

-A setting that looks like someone took Blade Runner and Deus Ex and threw them into a blender

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I relate to the girl in the cover art in the sense that I was also bored and waiting for something interesting to happen as I read the project description.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I appreciate that their logo, and the only graphical element on their limited-edition cover besides the title (and a translation of the title into Japanese because cargo-cult cyberpunk trappings), is a particularly ugly, chunky gun. I look forward to pages of those loving things, each with loving illustrations and tiny modifications to their stat lines, with one of them being the obvious best option and the rest being worthless filler. Cyberpunk gaming!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Can't help but notice a render of dice, but no rules preview. Cyberpunk as gently caress.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I was with Kai Tave through the first five words, but then there was a very sharp drop-off.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

I was with Kai Tave through the first five words, but then there was a very sharp drop-off.

This is basically how I experienced the Kickstarter myself. "Huh, a cyberpunk RPG, that could be cool. Let's take a- oh."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I mean :rolleyes: at D&D5 cyberpunk, I'm about meh'd out on that and Cthulhu stuff. The Original Characters are pretty funny.

But that limited edition cover mockup is shockingly dreadful.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
They must be very proud of that gun to put it on their custom dice as well.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

silvergoose posted:

Ever read The Power by Naomi Alderman? Just from the specifics of that callout...

Had an interesting twitter conversation with her and April Daniels, author of Dreadnought, about what the total lack of trans representation and the assigning of The Power to genetics rather than endocrine stuff the in her book means in-universe.

(It's not good.)

(also yes this is my way of bragging about the cool people i know)

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Twitter is weird. People seem to like me there for some reason. I think it's because I need more than 280 characters to properly aim my foot into my mouth.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Twitter is great (it's a hell site) and April Daniels is cool and so is Bieeanshee and open_sketchbook and probably many others of you.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

MollyMetroid posted:

Twitter is great (it's a hell site) and April Daniels is cool and so is Bieeanshee and open_sketchbook and probably many others of you.

I’m not cool. I’m the opposite of cool. I’m hot ... wait ... no that didn’t work Can I start again?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

open_sketchbook posted:

Had an interesting twitter conversation with her and April Daniels, author of Dreadnought, about what the total lack of trans representation and the assigning of The Power to genetics rather than endocrine stuff the in her book means in-universe.

(It's not good.)

(also yes this is my way of bragging about the cool people i know)

I...know someone who knows April Daniels, uh yeah. Anyway that is super cool! And depressing, as if that book needed more of that!

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Man a proper satisfyingly crunchy Cyberpunk RPG would be great. Infinity from Mophidius is probably the closest even though its a bit more on the space opera side than I’d want for a cyberpunk game.
Interface is fine I guess, Even people who like Shadowrun tell you to run something else, maybe Cyberpunk Red will be good.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

HidaO-Win posted:

Man a proper satisfyingly crunchy Cyberpunk RPG would be great. Infinity from Mophidius is probably the closest even though its a bit more on the space opera side than I’d want for a cyberpunk game.
Interface is fine I guess, Even people who like Shadowrun tell you to run something else, maybe Cyberpunk Red will be good.

The Android setting book door Genesys is coming out around March, I'm hopeful that that will be good.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

neaden posted:

The Android setting book door Genesys is coming out around March, I'm hopeful that that will be good.

I don't want to be too dour about largely inoffensive products that I'm not following closely, but based on my experience with their Star Wars games I wouldn't be particularly hopeful on this front.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Just got my yearbook portrait for Americana and I think it was very nicely done! It looks like they would prefer we don't share em until they are all done, but when they are I will link mine!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Just got my yearbook portrait for Americana and I think it was very nicely done! It looks like they would prefer we don't share em until they are all done, but when they are I will link mine!

You can share yours right now, that was just until we'd gotten everyone's done!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That's awesome. :)

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

That Old Tree posted:

I don't want to be too dour about largely inoffensive products that I'm not following closely, but based on my experience with their Star Wars games I wouldn't be particularly hopeful on this front.

I played Star Wars FFG on and off in a 5 year campaign, character got to 1800 exp. The system is crunchy but fairly flawed, has a lot of broken core gameplay.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Here is the wonderful portrait from Americana!

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
That absolutely rules.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That's fuckin' awesome!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

It was the portrait that gave our artist the most trouble, cause they've never had to draw anything like a were penguin before, but I'm p proud of what they pulled off here.

I posted a sort of mockup of how all the portraits will look in the book, if anyone wants to see the rest - https://mobile.twitter.com/SandyPugGames/status/1085919610212417537/

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
drat, those are pretty rad. Usually "get a picture in this game" backer tier levels are, uh, well they aren't that great, but y'all did a really nice job with these.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Jon the Shoggoth is amazing.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That's what I was saying!

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

the chromatic aberration is a nice touch

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Andi did a slightly more extreme version of that one that we ended up toning down but I love the effect.

Fun fact that's Jon Gilmour, designer of Dinosaur Island. He apparently really dug Orc Stabr and was ground floor on this.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Anybody have any thoughts on the new Onyx Path project, They Came from Beneath the Sea?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/they-came-from-beneath-the-sea-a-tabletop-roleplay

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

HidaO-Win posted:

At some point soon after I finish Flying Circus one of the smaller games I'm going to be putting out is Dis/Connect, a retro-y d100 percentile cyberpunk RPG set in the distant year of 2011 which is basically a Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex producing game. It's got the structural DNA of modern storygames but the stats and action are treated like a more old-school game.

Also it replaces the traditional Humanity meter with a creeping sense of dissonance with the world around you (so both seeing/doing awful things & seeing the ways that technology has detached you from regular human experience causes it). Basically, instead of a sanity hit points meter that makes you go murderous when it runs out, it treats that idea like depression, anxiety, and even dysphoria, and the solution is literally to have rambling philosophical discussions about your problems with the team as you wait on stakeouts or for the hacking to finish.

And its set in Darkest Toronto.

(I ran it at Metatopia 2018 and it was probably the best game I ever ran)

open_sketchbook fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 22, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

open_sketchbook posted:

Lower Bay Station?

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011
So after around six months of silence, Timothy Kleinert has made a backer-only update post for The Mountain Witch where he apologises for the massive silence, explains that life got in the way ("delayed by both legitimate and not-so-legitimate reasons"), says the money is still in a bank account largely untouched, and that we're looking at a 4-6 month pushback on the completion dates.

The comments are mostly positive, some people wondering if this is just because of the people reporting to Kickstarter that the project was abandoned, some telling him they'll never trust again, etc. I am cautiously optimistic but I also just expect these things will be done when they're done as opposed to demanding the estimated schedule be kept to exactly.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

open_sketchbook posted:

At some point soon after I finish Flying Circus one of the smaller games I'm going to be putting out is Dis/Connect, a retro-y d100 percentile cyberpunk RPG set in the distant year of 2011 which is basically a Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex producing game. It's got the structural DNA of modern storygames but the stats and action are treated like a more old-school game.

Also it replaces the traditional Humanity meter with a creeping sense of dissonance with the world around you (so both seeing/doing awful things & seeing the ways that technology has detached you from regular human experience causes it). Basically, instead of a sanity hit points meter that makes you go murderous when it runs out, it treats that idea like depression, anxiety, and even dysphoria, and the solution is literally to have rambling philosophical discussions about your problems with the team as you wait on stakeouts or for the hacking to finish.

Everything you've said here is something I am very interested in and I'm looking forward to being able to throw money at it someday.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

open_sketchbook posted:

Well I backed your game but this has convinced me to fund your Patreon.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

open_sketchbook posted:

This sounds so good. Will it be kickstarted or on a different platform?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

open_sketchbook posted:

Chalk me up as another person interested in this when it's available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm the only cyberpunk fan in my circle of local friends, but I think I need that on general principles.