Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

emgeejay posted:

Yeah, this is my guess because it ties into the show's soft metafiction. They'll try to give the newbies a Good Place free of "all the variables that make life on Earth hard," and they'll be shocked to discover the new characters don't grow or change. Without Michael's sitcom torture scenarios, these new dirtbags will run amok with the Janet babies, leading to oh... you know

I keep wondering whether we'll end up with a meta-good place, where they have to convince the new inhabitants that they're in a similar situation to what our main characters used to be in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

ashpanash posted:

That was Chidi.
oh my god

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ashpanash posted:

That was Chidi.

And I hope it's an unmentioned running gag for the rest of the series, just the occasional tiny Chidi flying past in the background

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
I liked the nuclear colored syrup jars in the IHOP - glow in the dark yellow and pink. Also Jason Mantzoukas' comments about his classy martini and his mostly functional penis in the podcast are amazing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Azhais posted:

And I hope it's an unmentioned running gag for the rest of the series, just the occasional tiny Chidi flying past in the background

I feel like it's more likely to be a Bearimy-influenced brick joke: later on, we return to the IHOP, and Chidi ends up getting flung through space, at which point we see that scene distantly in the background.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I feel like it's more likely to be a Bearimy-influenced brick joke: later on, we return to the IHOP, and Chidi ends up getting flung through space, at which point we see that scene distantly in the background.
Just wait until you finish the episode!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

pwn posted:

I have no idea if that's Trevor but it makes sense that it would be and it is definitely an awesome detail either way, great catch!

Now I’m wondering who’s on the blimp.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

pwn posted:

I have no idea if that's Trevor but it makes sense that it would be and it is definitely an awesome detail either way, great catch!

Can someone circle it? It's all just...dark to me, I don't see anything.

E.J.Olmos
Jan 1, 2008

Taear posted:

Can someone circle it? It's all just...dark to me, I don't see anything.

here you go

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

E.J.Olmos posted:

here you go

Thank you!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I think it's trevor. Here's a screencap of Trevor's last sighting:

it's not conclusive either way, but it looks more like Trevor than tiny chidi imo?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Trevor's wearing a jacket with dark sleeves in that picture :confused:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

A Sometimes Food posted:

Oh poo poo. Stone Cold Steve Austin cameo incoming.

I would be disappointed if some demons didn't get stunnered.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

emgeejay posted:

Trevor's wearing a jacket with dark sleeves in that picture :confused:

But Chidi doesn't have sleves.

:iiam:

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
It's different coloured clothes than he's wearing at the later point in the episode. Don't think it's him.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/MarcEvanJackson/status/1087150333699051520

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

If only “I acquit” was settled this quickly.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I'd love to see would be Shawn hating having to visit the Medium Place to check on the neighborhood because Mindy is constantly horny and won't stop asking him if he's down to gently caress. She makes him uncomfortable in the same way Trevor made Eleanor uncomfortable.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Is Thursday the season finale?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Your Taint posted:

Is Thursday the season finale?

Yes. I'm devastated.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The Lord Bude posted:

Yes. I'm devastated.

Ah, human insults.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
I really don’t care if this is a thing or not since this show is too good but is Mindy St Clair a plot hole now? Wasn’t her thing that she was the only person to ever have a completely neutral score? But now we see that every other person is in the negatives due to capitalism, so is Mindy St Clair actually the best person because she is the closest anyone has gotten in 500 years to being in positive numbers?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Abisteen posted:

I really don’t care if this is a thing or not since this show is too good but is Mindy St Clair a plot hole now? Wasn’t her thing that she was the only person to ever have a completely neutral score? But now we see that every other person is in the negatives due to capitalism, so is Mindy St Clair actually the best person because she is the closest anyone has gotten in 500 years to being in positive numbers?

It was a really good coke idea

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Abisteen posted:

The general idea is that the entire concept of the point system is hosed up and arbitrary. People used to get in more not because the system was at any point ever good or fair or consistent but despite the system. Because the system's so inflexible and dumb on every level it's not letting anyone in at all. Mindy's case was special, why was it special? Because of the arbitrary point values given to so many acts. She just managed to button-mash her life and half-press A in the right pattern to map-glitch into a medium place.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
I think it's also important that she never actually followed through with the plan so she was given all the positive points for the gesture without incurring the negative points from the side effects of implementation

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

yorkinshire posted:

I think it's also important that she never actually followed through with the plan so she was given all the positive points for the gesture without incurring the negative points from the side effects of implementation
Presumably, all of the people who actually implemented her plan earned all of the "unintended side effect" points and are on the express train to the Bad Place.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Shawn is an rear end, but I don't blame him for it - if he accepts that Humans are better than he thinks they are, that's a inroad to something potentially very dangerous for him - empathy. A demon who suddenly empathises with his victims isn't going to be as effective at his only job - Michael was only able to cope because he changed his job himself by rebelling against the system. I think his current behaviour trying to psyche out Michael is partially motivated by fear. If the experiment succeeds, his entire worldview is neutered. Trillions of years of torture called into question because what if?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

The real problem isn’t that no one gets into the good place, it’s that if you don’t get into the good place, you’re tortured.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Shawn is an rear end, but I don't blame him for it - if he accepts that Humans are better than he thinks they are, that's a inroad to something potentially very dangerous for him - empathy. A demon who suddenly empathises with his victims isn't going to be as effective at his only job - Michael was only able to cope because he changed his job himself by rebelling against the system. I think his current behaviour trying to psyche out Michael is partially motivated by fear. If the experiment succeeds, his entire worldview is neutered. Trillions of years of torture called into question because what if?

Or Shawn could be a dick because he chooses to be. He seems to enjoy being an rear end in a top hat, not just to humans, but to the demons around him. That's how he is. Trevor seemed to be in the same boat.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

ashpanash posted:

if you don’t get into the good place, you’re tortured.
By bees with penises.

Shawn invented those.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Xelkelvos posted:

Or Shawn could be a dick because he chooses to be. He seems to enjoy being an rear end in a top hat, not just to humans, but to the demons around him. That's how he is. Trevor seemed to be in the same boat.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Robot Hobo posted:

By bees with penises.

Since nearly all bees are biologically female I wonder if that's even more torture to conservatives. Post-Op Trans bees!

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 22, 2019

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I still can't get over that Michael is a fallen demon, i.e. an angel.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Xelkelvos posted:

yeah. all the demons are just horrible because they are, demons. michael is a demon who also happens to be fascinated with humans and by trying to be a trickster who engaged in psychological torture of humans he accidentally taught himself empathy and whoops. michael is a human weeb

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd guess Shawn definitely cheated on the selection but that will, like most everything else on this show, have massive unintended consequences.

mortal
Oct 12, 2012
I do think there's another shoe that will drop at some point regarding Michael. He's the only demon to develop empathy, he's named after the archangel of death, he's able to be more creative than the other demons...do we ever see him being chummy with any demons after the "holy forking shirtballs" moment, aside from telling a massive slug monster he looks like he lost weight? The fan theories are that he's either a mortal or angel going through his own purgatory, or that he's a fallen angel that's forgotten but is refinding himself. Regardless of the reason, there's something that sets him apart from the other demons.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Eew, no. I hope they never do that. he's a demon who was curious about humans and wanted to shake things up, make things more interesting than the same old poo poo we've been doing for hundreds of thousands of years. End of story. He is growing into something more on account of this journey, just like Janet. But he's a simple goddamn junior architect when this shitstorm started.

If they change that the writing would undermine 3 seasons' worth of character growth and replace it with a cheap *gotcha*. Remember that this is what michael used to think was fine:
and he's so much better now.

So again, eeeeewwwww.

double nine fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 23, 2019

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah, some revelation about Michael being a fallen angel with amnesia would end up confusing.

It would either be a case of neither he nor anyone else knew it, in which case it hasn't had any influence on the past few seasons, or the other demon higher ups knew and didn't get any alarm bells when a fallen angel started talking about his own Good Place but it's really for torture honest.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Michael is definitely a Demon. A free thinking Demon, but a Demon nonetheless. I would like to see the Angel version of Michael though. More exploration into the weirdness that is "The Good Place" would be neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
They are not demons at all but rather djinni