Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm enjoying LoR more than I have any Etrian game. Despite all the NIS systems it's way more approachable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

Honestly the ending presupposing you are exactly like Alex makes perfect sense considering stuff like 'what was the name your parents gave you?'

the devs never considered that someone that wasnt a white dude in their late 20s would play their game

Love for a video game to demand my deadname and then telling me I'm a man deep down in my soul.

it's hilariously how narrow a band this game was pitched at. And that band was the head writer and only him.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRn5gjB9HrU

here's a song from the game where the singer gets half the lyrics wrong and also mispronounces a character's name, also the song sucks

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

corn in the bible posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRn5gjB9HrU

here's a song from the game where the singer gets half the lyrics wrong and also mispronounces a character's name, also the song sucks

tbh i don't know if i'd actually call this as bad as the boss theme

on one hand the boss theme starts pretty listenable, but then it gets really bad, and this song just kind of exists

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 21, 2019

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Colonel posted:

tbh i don't know if i'd actually call this as bad as the boss theme

on one hand the boss theme starts pretty listenable, but then it gets really bad, and this song just kind of exists

it's not awful, but all of the vocal themes seem to have the singers stumble over words like they didn't get to learn them and it's such a weird thing. in this case that's particularly bad because the lyrics relate to the plot and you can't understand them

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

corn in the bible posted:

it's not awful, but all of the vocal themes seem to have the singers stumble over words like they didn't get to learn them and it's such a weird thing. in this case that's particularly bad because the lyrics relate to the plot and you can't understand them

i htink they legit just used the first take of every song and every line of voice acting because literally none of it sounds like it was rehearsed beforehand, like they're just doing their first or second reads off of the script or the lyrics and have a really shaky understanding of it at best

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

In all the still art for this game it looks like the main character's beard is like a loose fake santa beard. Like the dark jawline just makes it look like it's hanging there. Ok, that's my take, goodbye

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Out of all the things that have been posted about this game how is this not one of them

https://twitter.com/DNAbro/status/1086426951131160576

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Out of all the things that have been posted about this game how is this not one of them

https://twitter.com/DNAbro/status/1086426951131160576

because it was one

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That's the third time it's been posted.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I never heard of this YIIK game before this thread but Google tells me it's a 'postmodern RPG." I see now what right wing cranks have been warning us about all these years.

The plot sounds kinda interesting, I guess. I've seen a lot of fiction with multiple realities and always wondered about how souls work in multiversal realms. So good on this piece of poo poo for sort of addressing that. Shame about everything else.

3 stars on Steam so far.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Red Red Blue posted:

"what was the name your parents gave you" is such a weird way to ask for somebody's name even if you don't think about the idea that some people might not want to be reminded of that

Yeah I thought this was a weird one, but after reading about the ending I think I have an explanation that makes sense. It asks you for your name for the same reason that Doki Doki Literature club reads your computer's user name to try and figure out your "real" name, so that it can eventually talk to you, the player. The reason they ask for the name your parents gave you is to make the distinction that the game is asking for you not to name a character, but for YOUR name. He probably though the emotional impact of the big twist of the game would be amplified if the game could address the player by name, so he wanted you to give the answer that wasn't "assblaster69." I'll also concede that the way the question is asked doesn't really clue you into as to what they'll use it for, as straight-up breaking the wall and asking "hey, you, person behind the screen, what's your name?" would probably spoil that element of the reveal in the ending.

That being said, I can also imagine he wrote the question down and said "hey perfect" and didn't even consider that deadnames are even a thing because if the people he surrounds himself with allowed him to make that game in its entirety they probably didn't know/care about the implications of asking that question that way. His social circle is likely very very narrow in terms of diverse viewpoints

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

He probably though the emotional impact of the big twist of the game would be amplified if the game could address the player by name, so he wanted you to give the answer that wasn't "assblaster69."

assblaster69 is my real name

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Really Pants posted:

assblaster69 is my real name

Congratudolences

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah I thought this was a weird one, but after reading about the ending I think I have an explanation that makes sense. It asks you for your name for the same reason that Doki Doki Literature club reads your computer's user name to try and figure out your "real" name, so that it can eventually talk to you, the player. The reason they ask for the name your parents gave you is to make the distinction that the game is asking for you not to name a character, but for YOUR name. He probably though the emotional impact of the big twist of the game would be amplified if the game could address the player by name, so he wanted you to give the answer that wasn't "assblaster69." I'll also concede that the way the question is asked doesn't really clue you into as to what they'll use it for, as straight-up breaking the wall and asking "hey, you, person behind the screen, what's your name?" would probably spoil that element of the reveal in the ending.

That being said, I can also imagine he wrote the question down and said "hey perfect" and didn't even consider that deadnames are even a thing because if the people he surrounds himself with allowed him to make that game in its entirety they probably didn't know/care about the implications of asking that question that way. His social circle is likely very very narrow in terms of diverse viewpoints

I can understand where the developer is coming from, but here's the thing: If you're emotionally invested enough it doesn't matter if you put "bonglover420" or your real name. The connection to the game is still there. You don't have to force people to enjoy a game the way you think is best. You need to trust your audience to do what feels right for them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's literally a thing Earthbound does, but they phrase it better. It happens while you're playing and one of the characters says something like "Hey, you, the one playing the game, what's your real name?" Then doesn't bring it up again until many hours later, hopefully after you forgot you ever gave it out, so they can drop it during one of the last sequences in the game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Congratudolences

it's my heritage

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Skwirl posted:

It's literally a thing Earthbound does, but they phrase it better. It happens while you're playing and one of the characters says something like "Hey, you, the one playing the game, what's your real name?" Then doesn't bring it up again until many hours later, hopefully after you forgot you ever gave it out, so they can drop it during one of the last sequences in the game.

We didn’t deserve earthbound

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

man I should play Earthbound one of these days

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I can understand where the developer is coming from, but here's the thing: If you're emotionally invested enough it doesn't matter if you put "bonglover420" or your real name. The connection to the game is still there. You don't have to force people to enjoy a game the way you think is best. You need to trust your audience to do what feels right for them.

Oh yeah I'm not saying it was a good idea, I'm just saying here's why I think he did it, where the alternative is that he did it on purpose to be hateful. Trying to think about why devs/authors/artists do certain things is honestly fun for me to think about, and I feel like it makes me better at my own art stuff that I do.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
People need to stop ripping off earthbound

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Fawf posted:

BRING IT IN, GUYS!!!

*every Alex from every game, comic, cartoon, TV show, movie, and book reality come in with everything for a HUGE party*

God that makes me so sad every time I think about it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Undertale doesn't explicitly do this either but Toby Fox encourages you to name the Fallen Child after yourself so that at the end of the both sides of its storyline either the main antagonist gets over his unhealthy attachment to ostensibly you, the player focuses on building a relationship with the actual protagonist for the first time, or you're confronted with the physical manifestation of your culpability for murdering everyone in the game in cold blood and its crowned with your name as the kicker.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah hey mother 3, a game the developer name drops in interviews when talking about this game, did exactly that and it didn't ruin the really huge emotional catharsis that the game is using it to set up.

The secondary issue there is that you cannot ruin the big spoiler/reveal for the end of YIIK because the game makes alex a lovely person the entire time. Someone so lovely that Alexess across the multiverse are the final and true villains of the whole plot, destroying realities over and over because.....well everyone was very rude to them. and then the game reveals that you dear player in fact are also an Alex. You playing right now, you're one part of the worst being in all of multidimensional existence. No part of asking "Hey you playing, what's your name?" in a non-stupid manner could 'ruin' the emotional part of that twist.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mother 3 does also sort of try to make sure the player doesn't enter a joke name but the way mother 3 does it is by just, presenting a second prompt a bit further in when the player should theoretically be more invested in the story, which while kind of awkward in its own way, is a lot more honest and doesn't hit the bump that, uh, doing that, does

anyway the twist of yiik itself only works, if you're a straight white sociopathic hipster dude, which is pretty ironic coming from developers who said there aren't enough jrpgs with female leads

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Where are all the indie games of wildly varying quality based on Live A Live?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Octopath much better after about 10 hours now that secondary jobs are rolling out and plots are just generally more interesting than the starting stages (except for the dancer, who actually got a somewhat pretty impressively dark intro). I think in hindsight I'd recommend to all friends to just start as the scholar or go recruit him asap and equip the encounter lowering passive as soon as possible to make the encounter rate sane. And then go grab the apothecary guy cause Inquire is a cool skill and much more fun to use than the RNG equivalent that Cyrus has.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Octopath much better after about 10 hours now that secondary jobs are rolling out and plots are just generally more interesting than the starting stages (except for the dancer, who actually got a somewhat pretty impressively dark intro). I think in hindsight I'd recommend to all friends to just start as the scholar or go recruit him asap and equip the encounter lowering passive as soon as possible to make the encounter rate sane. And then go grab the apothecary guy cause Inquire is a cool skill and much more fun to use than the RNG equivalent that Cyrus has.

The apothecary has the single best combat skill in the game, so yeah you will want him.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
No, wait, guys, it gets better! There's another ending!

The second ending reveals the "true" Alex, which is literally just the Developer himself who fuses all the Alex's into himself and leaves into the true universe, he then writes up a whole speech ripping off Wallace's statements about Postmodernism dying out to become New Sincerity, basically telling you the whole game's about REJECTING postmodernism, and you escape into the soul space in an elevator with Sammy before reality can be destroyed rather than chasing after the android. Helpfully, Alex tells you that you're not Alex because he's Alex.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Hogama posted:

No, wait, guys, it gets better! There's another ending!

The second ending reveals the "true" Alex, which is literally just the Developer himself who fuses all the Alex's into himself and leaves into the true universe, he then writes up a whole speech ripping off Wallace's statements about Postmodernism dying out to become New Sincerity, basically telling you the whole game's about REJECTING postmodernism, and you escape into the soul space in an elevator with Sammy before reality can be destroyed rather than chasing after the android. Helpfully, Alex tells you that you're not Alex because he's Alex.

oh my gently caress

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The secondary issue there is that you cannot ruin the big spoiler/reveal for the end of YIIK because the game makes alex a lovely person the entire time.

???????????

Do you think the dev thought the ending was lovely when he was writing it, programming it, or releasing the game to the public to be consumed in exchange for money? I'm saying HE didn't want to spoil the surprise of his own game. You can't just say "yeah but the ending wasn't good so that's irrelevant" if you're trying to look at the choices from his perspective because then it's...not from his perspective anymore

Did you even read the post?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rascyc posted:

You really don't want to lower the encounter rate, because later bosses hit like trucks and you want to level as much as possible.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If that second ending is real I mother loving called it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think i'm done. thinking about yiik. forever

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You really don't want to lower the encounter rate, because later bosses hit like trucks and you want to level as much as possible.

Ehh, hard disagree on this one. It's a much more effective use of time to skip all low-level low-reward encounters only to later on, once you get a full team, go do the toughest battles you can for exponentially higher rewards. This is pretty much how all JRPGs work, it's the same strategy you want to use in the Persona games where you just rush to to the floor before the boss and then grind encounters, where your time-to-exp ratio and also your MP/HP-to-exp ratio is the highest.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Colonel posted:

i think i'm done. thinking about yiik. forever

I feel like I need to purge any memory of it from my system

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I knew way too much effort was put into explicitly non post modern attitudes and writing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

???????????

Do you think the dev thought the ending was lovely when he was writing it, programming it, or releasing the game to the public to be consumed in exchange for money? I'm saying HE didn't want to spoil the surprise of his own game. You can't just say "yeah but the ending wasn't good so that's irrelevant" if you're trying to look at the choices from his perspective because then it's...not from his perspective anymore

Did you even read the post?

No but I think the author knew that the fact that the player knows they're playing a video game wouldn't spoil the endingat all or what they were going for with the stuff up front and Like I said he literaelly name dropped mother 3 which did the exact same poo poo. Even in the writer's viewpoint the weird wording is entirely unnecessary to teh pay off they were attempting to achieve because it has almost nothign to do with the plot. Hell they could have just said "You the player," and not called you by name and it achieve the exact same thing.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

The Colonel posted:

mother 3 does also sort of try to make sure the player doesn't enter a joke name but the way mother 3 does it is by just, presenting a second prompt a bit further in when the player should theoretically be more invested in the story, which while kind of awkward in its own way, is a lot more honest and doesn't hit the bump that, uh, doing that, does

anyway the twist of yiik itself only works, if you're a straight white sociopathic hipster dude, which is pretty ironic coming from developers who said there aren't enough jrpgs with female leads

Ostensibly you’ll be playing Mother 3 off of playing Earthbound so you know when the game asks for you the player’s name it means fucken business and when it comes up it’ll hit you like a goosebumpy pile of bricks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Can someone remind me how Mother 3 uses the player's name (in spoiler tags, obviously). I remember it in Earthbound, but don't remember it in M3.

Guess I should replay M3.