Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I thought Venom was watchable at least - Ready Player One I only got halfway before throwing out the USB stick it was on. I'ld have smashed said stick but that would have been a hard thing to explain on an aircraft - that movie is dogshit in every way possible. No, constant references to other poo poo dont make the movie good.

This was the best thing to come out of that movie existing:

https://twitter.com/electrolemon/status/971208968323280896

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

slidebite posted:

Ugh :(

Funerals are for the living, the dead don't give a poo poo. If you don't really care what your parents will think, gently caress them and I think everyone here would back up that decision.

Good luck and don't feel guilt or be guilted.

QC - please do what you want to do, not what your parents want you to.

From what you have said they have already missed lots of chances to re-connect with you and make things good. I'm not sure that this funeral sounds like the best place to do it.

Minnesota Mixup posted:

This was the best thing to come out of that movie existing:

I've never seen the movie but found the book entertaining. Reminiscing about stuff is always an easy win though.

RP1 also means that this awesome song also exists https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQaH3lh-CA4

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I thought Venom was enjoyably daft.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
QC - you are a fantastic human bean, and at this point you don't owe your parents anything. Dealing with the loss of a sibling is a terrible thing, regardless of how close you were. If you ever need to talk my pms are open.

You I am - I'm sorry to hear that you lost your aunt. I hope she had a good quality of life up until the end. I lost a close family friend myself a few days ago. The pm offer is open to you too.

This year is already shaping up to be 2018 part 2: electric loving gently caress you Boogaloo.

It's 60 out and drizzly, I spent about an hour running around town grip testing in my fiesta st. Conclusion: life is tire spin and wheel hop. :getin:

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 20, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

QC - you are a fantastic human bean
I laughed at this more than I should have.

RE: Venom. I might be in the minority here, but I just cannot stand Tom Hardy. Just something about him rubs me the wrong way and he just didn't seem to be suitable in that part. While I know it's all Marvel make-believe and I found lots of it just unenjoyable, the whole angle with the ex-girlfriend basically immediately embracing it just seemed whack, especially based on her previous character development

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

One thing I remember from elementary school is a picture of a bean with arms and legs and a face that said Human Bean under it. It was in the nurses office and I thought it was "bean" forever because of that picture, haha.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Going to see another NA Miata this weekend.

It's a black fully loaded special edition NA with the red leather seats and factory BBS wheels. It looks pretty sweet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In further proof that January is always the worst month, I just got word an old friend died of an OD today.

Just got more info. He was a pretty bad alcoholic and had a known issue with his liver but was unable to quit drinking. He got really sick, went to the hospital and went into septic shock and didn't make it.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 20, 2019

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
When it rains, it loving pours on this forum it seems. You ok?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah. It's awful, his life had been really rough over the last few years which is what lead to his increased substance abuse. We were never super tight but we go way back to my days working bars. Reall good dude. Real shame.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Wrar posted:

Sucks. Were you close at all? 91 is a pretty good run, though.

Not hugely close. She was well known for having an acid tongue, but never used it against me as she appreciated what I did for my dad when his Alzheimer's got bad. Her husband is still alive - 94 - so people are a bit worried about how he'll handle things.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Condolences QC, You Am I, and Rhyno

I've got a new word:

"Babbel posted:

verschlimmbessern (German)
verb: to make something worse when trying to improve it

We’ve all done this before: by trying to fix a small problem we create a bigger problem. Perhaps you tried to repair a flat tire on your bike, and now the wheel won’t turn? Or after reinstalling Windows your laptop freezes every time you boot up? Oh no, don’t tell me you tried to fix that bad haircut yourself!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Dagen H posted:

Awesome

Edit for my Metric friends: that's -2 to -11C, with 15-25cm of snowfall.

We got 4-5" and people freaked out. Self-reliance is a dying trait.

Dagen H posted:

I've got a new word:

That's a great new word.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wow the Saints just got robbed of a trip to the superbowl. Never want to see a game decide by the refs, but in a championship game it's just bad.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Dagen H posted:

Condolences QC, You Am I, and Rhyno

I've got a new word:

To cut our budget just a hair while retaining the convenience, I recently bought generic tide pods from Sam's club. I then went on a washing spree getting rid of every speck of dirty anything, and washing all the blankets in the house.

Turns out I'm severely allergic to this loving detergent and have been wheezing and popping benadryl for the last 3 hours.

That's a good word.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

QC your family is being lovely and manipulative and you don't owe them anything. I'm sorry about your sister, I'd say I can't even imagine but I've been doing just that a lot lately*. PMs are open if you wanna chat. tldr just keep doing your thing, you're gonna kick rear end.

*cancer is loving scary yall

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Wow the Saints just got robbed of a trip to the superbowl. Never want to see a game decide by the refs, but in a championship game it's just bad.

A no call on pass interference makes up for a dozen non call late hits on an old man years ago. gently caress the saints, its karma.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

A no call on pass interference makes up for a dozen non call late hits on an old man years ago. gently caress the saints, its karma.

Lol. I don't really care who won or lost, it just sucks to see the refs decide the game like that either way.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Lol. I don't really care who won or lost, it just sucks to see the refs decide the game like that either way.

Trump and Brady are huge buddies; the Don knew Brees would have kicked Tom's rear end so he executive-ordered a small prototype CIA wall built around the eyes of the referee just before that non-call. It's still there, protecting the ref as his Uber gets firebombed outside the superdome on his way to MSY. Now the stage is set for Goff and the entire Los Angeles region to be humiliated at the hands of Tom "MAGA" Brady in retribution for being a sanctuary city. Brady gets his sixth ring, LA is relegated back to football insignificance after Goff gets his shoulder shattered trying to hail-mary late in the 4th.

In the meantime, all of the dedicated football fans in LA continued mourning the Cowboys' loss.

Except for me, sitting here in my Giants shirt :manning:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I thought he might be talking about the game against the Vikings. Farvres last game ever. The Saints beat the crap out of him for no good reason. gently caress them forever for that.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

If one non-call is the difference between winning and losing, it wasn't one call that was the difference maker. Saints still had to score a TD whether that call is made or not, and they'd been shut down in the red zone two other times in the game so it's not like a TD was a foregone conclusion.

That being said, lol at that not being a flag.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

shy boy from chess club posted:

I thought he might be talking about the game against the Vikings. Farvres last game ever. The Saints beat the crap out of him for no good reason. gently caress them forever for that.

Eh, that was almost a decade ago, the coach responsible was fired and they are a completely different team now. Pretty sure the only player still on the team since then is Drew Brees.

Ether Frenzy posted:

If one non-call is the difference between winning and losing, it wasn't one call that was the difference maker. Saints still had to score a TD whether that call is made or not, and they'd been shut down in the red zone two other times in the game so it's not like a TD was a foregone conclusion.

That being said, lol at that not being a flag.

I understand that part of it, but you can't deny that non call cost the Saints the game because if it was called, (like it should have) all the Saints had to do was run out the clock and it was over. The refs already put out a statement admitting they hosed up.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 21, 2019

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I never used to care about the NFL until Tom Brady arrived. Now I follow it just to watch the embarrassing moment when his career is finally ended and I can go back to only pretending to follow hockey at parties.

gently caress, I hate him.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I never used to care about the NFL until Tom Brady arrived. Now I follow it just to watch the embarrassing moment when his career is finally ended and I can go back to only pretending to follow hockey at parties.

Well you would think if Tony Romo can predict every play before it happens from the booth, that maybe an NFL defense would be able to figure it out too and stop him but apparently nobody wants to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

He's probably gonna retire with six rings, I dunno if it'll be all that embarrassing. There's far worse players out there, like Ben Roethlisberger for example. He's an actual piece of poo poo whereas Brady is just a cheater.

So, friends ex wife is trying really hard to sell the ODd narrative for some reason. It's really unpleasant to see this unfolding the day he died.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

44 degrees C in Adelaide on Thursday. Dear god that’s gonna suuuuuck if we get a bushfire

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rhyno posted:

So, friends ex wife is trying really hard to sell the ODd narrative for some reason.

Death via OD is usually pretty painless if it's downers, or at least pretty quick if it's uppers... while death by alcoholism takes a long time (also, really painful). Alcohol withdrawal can also kill (delirium tremens), and it's incredibly painful (lasts several days too - ask me how I know, I was knocking on death's door when I quit cold turkey from a 20+ drink a day habit - BP of 230/180, pulse over 150, IIRC, after no drinks for 2 days... and spent a week in ICU). tl;dr death by alcohol isn't pretty.

Might be trying to tell herself he didn't suffer, maybe? Or convince others he didn't?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh no, she's trying to make him out to look like a lovely person even in death. Without too much detail, he took a great financial risk many years ago and it did not go well and they were pretty much ruined. She divorced him and got everything that was left and he ended up in his parents basement as he tried to rebuild his life. She's been making GBS threads on him ever since and that she's trying to do it on the day he died is enraging.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Not to be too insensitive but maybe she's just not bright and genuinely interprets it as an OD?

You know, don't attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Eclipse!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bajaha posted:

Not to be too insensitive but maybe she's just not bright and genuinely interprets it as an OD?

You know, don't attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

She's been actively loving with his life since the divorce, she has been corrected on the cause of death and still persists.

She is not a nice lady.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Saw it first on snap! Really cool shots.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

shy boy from chess club posted:

this

Eh, that was almost a decade ago, the coach responsible was fired and they are a completely different team now. Pretty sure the only player still on the team since then is Drew Brees.
I don't think you understand "gently caress them forever."
Also, the head coach is the same. He wasn't the scapegoat for the whole thing, but the head coach is ultimately responsible for the culture of his team.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Ferremit posted:

44 degrees C in Adelaide on Thursday. Dear god that’s gonna suuuuuck if we get a bushfire

It was -22C this morning in upstate New York, with a high of.... -16C.

I'm gonna break with tradition and stay inside on the internet instead of...staying inside on the internet.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 21, 2019

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hey, cool, I didn't realise Ford were doing a Raptor for over here, based on the Ranger.

Aaaaand it's a 2.0 diesel. gently caress's sake.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The battery went out on my Alienware M17 R3. No biggie, I've had it a couple years... it's an enclosed battery, so I figured I'd have to take the bottom cover off or something... nope. gently caress you, Alienware, that is absolutely ridiculous.

Please to entertain you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWBHx2NzYs8

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 28, 2019

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

meatpimp posted:

The battery went out on my Alienware M17 R3. No biggie, I've had it a couple years... it's an enclosed battery, so I figured I'd have to take the bottom cover off or something... nope. gently caress you, Alienware, that is absolutely ridiculous.

I was gonna :smug: about how this is normal motherboard replacement and I don't get why you're bitching about it, but then I got to the end and remembered you're replacing the battery :psyduck:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I thought Venom was watchable at least - Ready Player One I only got halfway before throwing out the USB stick it was on. I'ld have smashed said stick but that would have been a hard thing to explain on an aircraft - that movie is dogshit in every way possible. No, constant references to other poo poo dont make the movie good.

The movie is actually better than the book. I threw it away half way through when I realized I was checking my phone instead of reading.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

meatpimp posted:

That seems par for the course for a gaming laptop, ASUS and MSI make puzzleboxes that must be fully disassembled to do anything too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Fermented Tinal posted:

That seems par for the course for a gaming laptop, ASUS and MSI make puzzleboxes that must be fully disassembled to do anything too.

It's not just anything, though, it's the battery. To change the battery in the previous generation, you have to slide the lever and remove the battery. For this, it would be easier to replace the screen, keyboard, motherboard, or any other ancillary device, because the battery is literally the first thing installed in the bare shell. That's just design based on gently caress-you-customer theory.

Adiabatic posted:

I was gonna :smug: about how this is normal motherboard replacement and I don't get why you're bitching about it, but then I got to the end and remembered you're replacing the battery :psyduck:

You underestimate the quality of my bitching.