Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The hardmode bosses really benefit from a platform arena with a few quality of life improvements. Some campfires and heart statues rigged to timers to get as much free healing as possible are a start.

The Nimbus Rod makes the Destroyer really easy (and is easy to farm), and a gun with Crystal bullets helps too.

Rolling the +4 defense modifier on all your accessories makes a big difference when you're undergeared, also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

I didn't even realize they used ordinary ingredients, I would have sworn I looked them up and thought you had to kill them once to unlock them or something. :doh:

(ed) Good lord, zero for four attempts across all three bosses. Guess Orichalcum armor ain't gonna cut it, but drat me if Titanium just seems utterly absent. :(

if you have palladium in your world you should try wearing that instead. its weaker stat wise but the regeneration effect is really strong and can stack with other regeneration effects to get ridiculously fast

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Also, drink a lot of potions, and get something with a lot of piercing and go for the Destroyer first. It's made out of segments you can hit individually, so if you manage to get something like a Deadalus Stormbow loaded with Holy arrows you can murder it real quick.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
If you need more Titanium, then smash more altars. However, preparation is worth a lot when it comes to bosses. Get as many buff potions as you can find and drink them all before the boss shows up.

For Destroyer in particular, a lot of early hard mode enemies drop weapons that shred multi-segment enemies. If you want to play magic, it might also be a really good idea to find a way to induce a goblin raid. The Goblin Summoner miniboss is really dangerous, but the weapons they drop are extremely good.

It's also personal preference, but I would also advise against reforging your stuff to Warding. +4 defense is peanuts compared to +4% move speed or +4% attack. 20% of either of those is worth a lot more than a few extra points of mitigated damage.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
I always struggled with mechanical bosses until someone in this thread suggested making a skyrail and farming for the Deadalus Stormbow which made life a hell of a lot easier. You'll want to craft the minecart since I think it's faster than the default one and should let you outpace the bosses as you zip back and forth across the world at max speed.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

My early hardmode recommendation is to trigger the Goblin Army. It's only slightly harder than pre-hardmode but the Goblin Summoners can drop the Shadowflame Knife. It's got good damage for where in the game it's available, fires very rapidly, uses no ammo/mana, bounces to inflict more damage on big targets and debuffs for extra damage that no bosses (that matter) are immune to.

It's good and pretty easy to get your hands on - you can get it even before cracking an altar.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I'd suggest using your titanium on Frost Armor. Farming the frost cores in the snow biome during a blizzard will also probably net you an ice feather which will set you on wings for the majority of hardmode. If you don't have one yet, kill the Wall of Flesh until it drops a clockwork assault rifle and reforge it until you get rapid. The clockwork rifle with crystal or explosive bullets will make scoring a Daedalus Stormbow and Shadowflame Knives much easier.

A combination of frostburn from Frost Armor, shadowflame from the knives, and cursed flames from a flask is pretty brutal vs. everything. (edit: except The Destroyer, it's immune to debuffs / DoTs) Ichor flasks work too.

bij fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 16, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've had five goes at the worm this morning with a small safety box with star iin a bottle, heart lantern, campfire 200 feet up the ground and I still died every time, once within 2000 hp. I'm pretty much out of will to keep farming souls of night and trying to find titanium at this point :smith:

even with golden shower, that shadowflame hex doll and a meteor staff, it just takes so long I get worn down by attrition. is magic just a bad way to start hardmode compared to one of the ranged options you all listed? the game really hasn't given me anything else all this time, except barely enough hardmode ores to make what armor I have.

(edit) uh nevermind on that last bit i guess, broke one more set of altars and I got some titanium deposits at last. Thanks RNG! :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 16, 2019

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

A small safety-box isn't the best design for most bosses (like all of them except the UFO), because they'll gently caress you up real quick if you aren't moving. Try platforms and vertical walls with small gaps you can dodge through, and a couple of heart statues you can move between. The campfire/heart lantern effect extends like a couple of screens so they should be in the center of your arena but you don't have to be on top of them

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i think skeletron prime is actually the easiest mechanical boss

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Finally nailed him, it was as anticlimactic as I'd hoped :v: See if the other mechanicals go better.

Wish I had some heart statues, though. Been looking out for them all game, being able to reach heart reserves like that would be huge. Oh well.

(e) The safety box was just for the destroyer--I was trying to keep him near the ground and fire meteors from above, while not getting hit by his laser volleys. I've got an arena for the others.

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

Another trick if you're having difficulty with the other bosses is to build a small house near the arena and put the nurse in there. Keep your money in a piggy bank and full heal and run back.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Well Megashark certainly turned the twins into a joke, and given the shotgunny aspect of crystal shot I expect much the same of skeletron prime

I think I like not having to manage a mana bar quite so much, too

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Every time I play Terraria, I tell myself I'm going to do something besides guns.

But sooner or later it all comes back to the mega shark.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Next time play with Thorium, then you can play with the Legally Distinct Shark Miniguns.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

cuntman.net posted:

i think skeletron prime is actually the easiest mechanical boss
Unless you have some way of absolutely spamming high-piercing attacks at the Destroyer (like a Daedalus Stormbow loaded up with Holy Arrows), I think you're right.'

Solumin posted:

Every time I play Terraria, I tell myself I'm going to do something besides guns.

But sooner or later it all comes back to the mega shark.
My second most recent playthrough I noticed one of the mods I installed had an infinite mana accessory (that starts out giving a penalty to damage/crit but you can progressively upgrade), so I went magic, and it turns out magic is really fun when you don't need to worry about the mana bar.

The most recent one I did to poke at Enigma and Split though I went guns again. Good ol' megashark. megashark to Vortex Beater with Cholorphyte bullets to the Space Dolphin Machinegun.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mana used to be functionally unlimited with an accessory in the base game but then they added mana sickness to kill your damage.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've always preferred the ~aesthetic~ of magic and casters in games, but yeah, balls to the mana bar. I much prefer lugging around the minishark, especially since I can just make the endless musket ball bag and be done.

That said I think I'm gonna go get some spider fangs because I just got a staff that summons a tiny pirate friend and that's adorable

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Well I was planning on a thorium run next, so I'll be a mage if that mod makes magic fun.

I think Mana is a good mechanic for making magic more risk vs reward or whatever, but if ranged weapons are just as good and can have infinite ammo then what's the point??

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kanos posted:

For what it's worth, my initial response to Calamity way back when was "gently caress this is way too hard and complicated, gently caress this", but I did a playthrough on Revengeance mode in it a couple months ago and was shocked at how much fun it was. It's got a pretty intelligent difficulty curve now. The bosses are scads above what "normal" Terraria bosses are capable of, but you get a lot more powerful to compensate.

As a complete experience I'd easily rate it as good as Thorium is provided you don't get frustrated dying on bosses for a little while until you learn the pattern. It's definitely not for the kind of player who just wants to play super relaxed and chill, though. Just don't bother with Supreme Calamitas and you're golden since everything up to that point is a natural progression of getting stronger and stronger and fighting more and more complex bosses. Beating Devourer of Gods for the first time feels loving amazing.

Also the DM Dokuro soundtrack kicks absolute rear end.
Appealing endorsement but I get the impression it doesn't jive well with Thorium, too. I was looking to try out one or the other, though I wasn't too taken by Thorium the first time around.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Solumin posted:

Well I was planning on a thorium run next, so I'll be a mage if that mod makes magic fun.

I think Mana is a good mechanic for making magic more risk vs reward or whatever, but if ranged weapons are just as good and can have infinite ammo then what's the point??

Yep, I hope they address this someday so magic in vanilla will actually be worth doing.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Mayveena posted:

Yep, I hope they address this someday so magic in vanilla will actually be worth doing.

Summoning is the best, and then you can use whatever stupid weapon you want because your ravens or pygmys do all the hard work for you.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Solumin posted:

The mod with the infinite mana accessory is LuiAFK, for reference

It also lets you turn enough of a given type of potion into a "passively gives you the effect as long as it's in your inventory" item, and then combine those, then combine THOSE until eventually you have one super-item and you stop needing to worry about juggling potions and chugging them and tending your herb garden and poo poo.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Zereth posted:

It also lets you turn enough of a given type of potion into a "passively gives you the effect as long as it's in your inventory" item, and then combine those, then combine THOSE until eventually you have one super-item and you stop needing to worry about juggling potions and chugging them and tending your herb garden and poo poo.

I did this once and it caused some serious problems because there is apparently a buff limit and it kept flickering potion effects like crazy so be warned I guess.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I did this once and it caused some serious problems because there is apparently a buff limit and it kept flickering potion effects like crazy so be warned I guess.

To get around this you can use the combination potions from the Alchemist mod.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SynthesisAlpha posted:

LuiAFK gets around this by not having them cause a buff but do... something else, I have no idea how it works under the hood

It specifically mentions doing this because of the buff limit, in fact

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zereth posted:

Sounds like a fun mod, actually. I really don't care for managing potions and gardening, and we already went over mana

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Sounds like a fun mod, actually. I really don't care for managing potions and gardening, and we already went over mana
It also lets you make a LOT of ammo types into infinite varieties, like the bag of musket balls, except for most of them.

You do need to either make a garden or get an Auto Chests plant gatherer since you need 30 of a potion to make the "just keep this in your inventory" version, but once you've done that you don't need to care about making any of that potion ever again.

It also lets you make an infinite Recall Potion that has a hotkey to teleport you back to where you recalled from, which is really, really useful.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Sounds perfect to pair with a revengeance death mode magic only run.
I can already feel the pain.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Zereth posted:

It also lets you make a LOT of ammo types into infinite varieties, like the bag of musket balls, except for most of them.

You do need to either make a garden or get an Auto Chests plant gatherer since you need 30 of a potion to make the "just keep this in your inventory" version, but once you've done that you don't need to care about making any of that potion ever again.

It also lets you make an infinite Recall Potion that has a hotkey to teleport you back to where you recalled from, which is really, really useful.
There was a similar mod that condensed potions down to a single inventory space but I don't think it has the buff-bypass effect Luiafk does, which is a shame. Gotta have one or the other.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

SynthesisAlpha posted:

If it's the item I'm thinking of, you can choose which buff sets to enable at a time. Should avoid that limit.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
The 'Enigma Mod' is loving garbage. Why the gently caress did the mod author decide to spawn the 'heart' biome DIRECTLY BELOW WORLD SPAWN? And it has enemies on par with early/mid hardmode when I need to dig a hellavator loving through the mod biome to reach the underworld. And the biome occupies roughly a third of the total distance from the underworld going up towards the center of the map. I have never deleted a mod faster than I did that one. Losing ~8 hours of exploration since it looks like I need to make a new map, too...

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ambaire posted:

The 'Enigma Mod' is loving garbage. Why the gently caress did the mod author decide to spawn the 'heart' biome DIRECTLY BELOW WORLD SPAWN? And it has enemies on par with early/mid hardmode when I need to dig a hellavator loving through the mod biome to reach the underworld. And the biome occupies roughly a third of the total distance from the underworld going up towards the center of the map. I have never deleted a mod faster than I did that one. Losing ~8 hours of exploration since it looks like I need to make a new map, too...

Lack of space, I guess. It is a pretty crappy biome, but at least it doesn't LOOK terrible unlike the stuff in some of the other low rent mods I like to mess around with. Luckily I don't think anything in it is essential to the more interesting (if still janky) bits of the mod, so generating a world without the mod and then adding it in is an option.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Calamity is pretty fun on Revengeance but some of the drops you get there break the hell out of everything. Lucked into the Halibut Cannon and now everything dies in moments. It does something around 23k dps with my gear and potions. I got it pre-hard mode. The megashark with the same setup does around 2500.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 22, 2019

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm constantly impressed by how many ideas the developers have for this game. My imagination would've made it as far as laser gun and that'd be it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Get back to me when I can turn whatever those things are into furniture

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A chair that explodes a path directly through your NPC's rear end, invalidating their housing as well as the housing of anyone directly above them.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Baron von Eevl posted:

A chair that explodes a path directly through your NPC's rear end, invalidating their housing as well as the housing of anyone directly above them.

Explodes directly down until it detects lava imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Really looking forward to this update as an excuse to play through again, and I wonder if this is the true last one or if they have a 1.4 in mind

Crazy how they’ve been improving it so much over 10 years, I don’t even want a 2 at this point so much as a recoded remaster of this one for better performance, world size, and easy modding