Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mycroft Holmes posted:

i don't want to sound like a huge rear end in a top hat, but it kind of takes away from the social commentary when the dude who got shot full body tackled a cop.

gently caress off forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
okay, jeez, sorry.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Fictional cartoon character's (who has been introduced like a week ago) death is a loving serious deal. I mean just look at Funky Winkerbean.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze begs a lot of questions.

Oh no. I actually find this one funny, for the absurdity of the manager going "tomorrow, everyone has to dress up as Stay-Puft."

I'll comfort myself believing the authors only had a lazy "remember Ghostbusters?" joke in mind.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
I've been playing a bit of Rimworld lately and one of my colonists made an Art:

My immediate thought was "She made a Heathcliff comic"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Fictional cartoon character's (who has been introduced like a week ago) death is a loving serious deal. I mean just look at Funky Winkerbean.

lol at people ITT getting upset when a guy says the cops should be portrayed worse

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Alley Oop

Fred Basset

Judge Parker

Little Oop

Marmaduke

Reply All

Six Chix

Why is the pirate upset? :confused:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I need you to give me a reason to like you, Alley Reboop. You're obviously trying but...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

In today's Corto Maltese: Chang does not skimp out on the banging iconography, or The Red Lanterns have very roundabout ways of dealing with loose ends, or Boys Revolutionary soldiers don't cry

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

error 666 strikes again

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

I need you to give me a reason to like you, Alley Reboop. You're obviously trying but...
Legit wondering what makes you say that what with the stumbling non-jokes. But maybe I've been harping on that enough for a while.

So how about we look at how lovely the art is, with everyone's arm proportions in particular completely out of any kind of human alignment even accounting for Alley Oop's cartoony style, Oop himself changing size and character model on a per-panel basis, and the clothes' main features like buckles and shoulder flaps being rendered awkwardly at best, which all isn't even going into the unevenly proportioned backgrounds.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

gently caress off forever

It may be a lovely opinion but at least it's an opinion.

I do have some issues with the way Jamal has handled this storyline, but whatever else people may think the author is definitely going for something and he's thrown away any chance he might have had for newspaper syndication in order to do it. I think it deserves analysis and discussion beyond a few hand-wringing :ohdear: posts after each strip, even if that discussion might include takes we disagree with.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

NRVNQSR posted:

I do have some issues with the way Jamal has handled this storyline, but whatever else people may think the author is definitely going for something and he's thrown away any chance he might have had for newspaper syndication in order to do it. I think it deserves analysis and discussion beyond a few hand-wringing :ohdear: posts after each strip, even if that discussion might include takes we disagree with.

Yea, you can gently caress off too.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

There's plenty of times when you want to listen to and give thought to the other side of a conversation or argument. This is not one of those times. Especially when the reaction to a thorough breakdown was this:

Mycroft Holmes posted:

okay, jeez, sorry.

Not that the initial criticism showed much thought or insight in the first place.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Really Pants posted:

Chief < Boss < Underlord < Praetor < Overlord < Supreme Tyrant

You joke but I've just been avoiding referring explicitly to ranks between Boss and CEO because I don't have a clue how to translate those job titles without making them sound about that ridiculous.

Nenonen posted:

Whoa, now that you mention it the sheer speed is what gives it impact. Remember when Johnson took several weeks to ham-handedly kill off that dumb dog for maximum drama?

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Actually I can't think of a good word for her job title either. The other lower ranked characters are just regular employees but she's an errand...doing...person? Who works full time? Blech.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 21, 2019

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 29, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 29, 1997)

Garfield Classic (June 29, 1987)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

Legit wondering what makes you say that what with the stumbling non-jokes. But maybe I've been harping on that enough for a while.

So how about we look at how lovely the art is, with everyone's arm proportions in particular completely out of any kind of human alignment even accounting for Alley Oop's cartoony style, Oop himself changing size and character model on a per-panel basis, and the clothes' main features like buckles and shoulder flaps being rendered awkwardly at best, which all isn't even going into the unevenly proportioned backgrounds.

I'm sympathetic to it's "my most serious attempt at a webcomic yet" style. It's not ready for the spot, but here it is.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

NRVNQSR posted:

What the gently caress do you want me to say, then? Jamal's situation is like a carbon copy of every single time a white cop has shot a black dude in the last ten years.

"hand-wringing" what the gently caress do you do when someone shows you genuine sympathy or empathy? Do you accuse them of posturing? Of course I was worried as the comic unfolded! I had the sick sense that someone was going to get shot and if you think :ohdear: is some kind of virtue signaling than gently caress off forever!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Andy Capp

December 9, 1957 (nothing for the 8th)

"The trouble with you is yer too flippin' independent."

Heathcliff Old and New

okay I love this one

Ballard Street

October 25, 2002

Outbursts of Everett True

:allears:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Potsticker posted:

There's plenty of times when you want to listen to and give thought to the other side of a conversation or argument. This is not one of those times.

How long after a black kid is murdered by cops should we wait before talking about how media glosses over the way black kids are murdered by cops? (edit: Sorry, that was unnecessarily harsh of me and reading your comment again it's not clear which side of the argument you're coming from, so I've withdrawn the statement.)

I get that this isn't the political cartoons thread and no-one wants a ten-page derail on politics every day, but Jamal's author has put a lot on the line in order to get this story out there and I think we do him a disservice if we just stick our heads in the sand and refuse to talk about the issues he raises. I've said my piece, though, and if the thread just wants to treat the strip as a family drama then I'll shut up and save the politics talk for when it's reposted in the cops or political cartoons threads.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 21, 2019

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Oh we can talk it about for sure! I think the strip with the cop claiming the big brother is going for his gun while he's handcuffed was fantastic and that maybe we're being sped through the aftermath a bit too quickly, but I'm 100% along for the ride and want to see what happens next and how Jamal the character is going to deal with this.

I also think we also maybe got too many people posting "No!" or "Oh no!" with no other content and all of the "Well I read ahead and..." but that's a really minor complaint.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

NRVNQSR posted:

The cop in Jamal is in the wrong BECAUSE YOU DON'T SHOOT UNARMED, HANDCUFFED PEOPLE.

The gently caress is there to discuss?

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 21, 2019

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Folks, let's try and calm down about Jamal.

I'm pretty sure there's no one here coming at this from a place of THAT COP WAS RIGHT. Some of you are worried about the day to day development, and rightly so, cause this is one hell of a swerve for the medium of daily syndicated comic strips, and the drama well executed. Some of you are more concerned with the political points it raises and whether it does that effectively, and again, rightly so, cause it's a hugely important issue and it would be a huge disappointment if an artist bungled it, considering the obvious sacrifices they have to make putting it out there in, again, the world of daily syndicated comic strips.

I'm sure no one who's giving expression to their worry and tension wants to ignore the finer political and storytelling points, and I'm equally sure no one who's more focused on that is accusing anyone of virtue signalling (if I can be so frank, that's also one hell of an accusation to throw around in the first place).

Personally I'm gonna suggest that the storytelling parts of the discussion could just as well wait until we're caught up. It's gonna take no time at all and you may find yourself thinking differently. I've been holding my tongue for days. But then what's been posted already certainly already is one hell of a discussion starter, if you're so inclined.

Bondia can be proud of himself, that much is certain.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
https://twitter.com/sireviscerate/status/1087172018259353601?s=21

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

seriously???
☺☺oo :mad:

☺oo☺ :)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jamal is good. And the cop is bad.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Bizarro

Dilbert

Boyce is still broken, and Compu-Toon is still on Sunday.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Jamal

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

Personally I'm gonna suggest that the storytelling parts of the discussion could just as well wait until we're caught up.
Vargo's posting 1 a day. We're not going to catch up.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Get hosed.

Ah wait, this isn't the politoon thread is it? Well, get hosed anyway.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Vargo said they'd go back to larger chunks after this storyline until we did. I think it's MWF right now.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Zereth posted:

Vargo's posting 1 a day. We're not going to catch up.

I'm only posting one a day for this storyline, and then I'm going to go back to posting in batches like I did before. Even if I didn't, Jamal runs three days a week and this is as recent as last November.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

:(

That's some real good emotional storytelling right there

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Geech

Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I am disappointed that Jamal just looks sort of bored or jaded here. All those facial lines he's capable of and none of them showing grief.

It isn't a thousand yard stare or anything, it just looks like he is vaguely contemplating a shoe, like wondering how it's laced up or something

Maybe I am holding it to too high a standard because the artist is clearly putting in a lot of effort but Jamal has had like 900 face lines in other panels and somehow Arlo regularly shows more nuanced emotion with two lines and a dot

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Jamal remains a good strip. There's a lot of depth to the art that you don't see elsewhere, the aforementioned shoe size and the brother's face being shown at a specific time being probably the most obvious.

As far as having a debate about the merits of police shootings and such, this really isn't the thread for that, and the poster that suggested discussing it when it's reposted in the Cop Shoot or whatever other thread in another forum is probably a way better place to have that discussion.

This thread doesn't need that emotionally charged fight and I don't want the strip to get kicked out because of it.

Edit: ^^^^^^ the impact from that strip I think comes more from the first time he sees his brother's shoes, they're HUGE, symbolizing how he views his brother. Now they're just empty shoes because he's gone. At least that's how I read it.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Can we pause in arguing about Jamal to all agree that Arlo and Janis is A Very Good Comic?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Bloop posted:

I am disappointed that Jamal just looks sort of bored or jaded here. All those facial lines he's capable of and none of them showing grief.

It isn't a thousand yard stare or anything, it just looks like he is vaguely contemplating a shoe, like wondering how it's laced up or something

Maybe I am holding it to too high a standard because the artist is clearly putting in a lot of effort but Jamal has had like 900 face lines in other panels and somehow Arlo regularly shows more nuanced emotion with two lines and a dot

I get what you're saying and I don't necessarily disagree, but also people process grief in different ways, and we're not getting any insight into what Jamal's thinking just yet.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fighting Trousers posted:

Can we pause in arguing about Jamal to all agree that Arlo and Janis is A Very Good Comic?
Yes, Arlo is fantastic

Ok, back to it

shortspecialbus posted:

Edit: ^^^^^^ the impact from that strip I think comes more from the first time he sees his brother's shoes, they're HUGE, symbolizing how he views his brother. Now they're just empty shoes because he's gone. At least that's how I read it.

Maybe. The first time it just read as the same TEENAGERS HAVE BIG SHOES joke we've seen in Zits a thousand times already.

I will admit Jamal probably deserves a deeper reading than Zits, but in its short life I also think people may be giving it too much credit for having high-minded symbolic intent in every detail. At least for me, having only read what has been in this thread so far, I'd like to see more consistency before putting it on such a pedestal

Endless Mike posted:

I get what you're saying and I don't necessarily disagree, but also people process grief in different ways, and we're not getting any insight into what Jamal's thinking just yet.

This is fair, and I am giving it the benefit of the doubt and waiting to see how it plays out, I'm just not ready to gush yet unlike some who I think may be in for a letdown if it doesn't live up to the incredibly high expectations they seem to have for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Does the Military History thread know about Surgeon's Tales? I feel like HEY GAL needs to know, stat.