Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

For brick breaking, my friend got me playing Piffle, which also has cats. It feels a little much on the microtransaction side, partly because to show trajectory you have to use a consumable, and similar games I've played in the past had it inherent to the game.

But, it's been fun. And cats.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hipsterwhale.piffle

I played this one for a bit and it is fun, but as you approach level 100 or so it gets more and more required to use the microtransaction items to complete levels. It's a good game, though.

Honestly, it just makes me wish that Holedown were longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One of these days I want to finally find a non-gacha RPG/pseudo-RPG where the gameplay actually clicks with me. Like I enjoy the gameplay of things like Fire Emblem Heroes and Dragalia Lost but the gacha element sucks out a lot of the fun for me.

It doesn't help that I like the idea of a phone game that keeps getting content so I can keep coming back to it, which almost necessitates gacha in that market, so maybe I'm just impossible to please :v:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Along the same lines, any good peggle clones?

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

Sleekly posted:

Anyone into brick breaking games like Arknoid?
Been playing Ancient Bricks which is ok, just wondering what else may be out there.

I had a lot of fun with BBTAN : 7Years

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.percent.bbtanroulette

The slot machine mode is so addictive.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Harrow posted:

It doesn't help that I like the idea of a phone game that keeps getting content so I can keep coming back to it, which almost necessitates gacha in that market, so maybe I'm just impossible to please :v:

It's not exactly an rpg but have you tried Gumballs & Dungeons? It is free and it get new content about once every couple months. Also it pretty much always has an event or 3 going.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

These should all make my train rides go quicker. Thanks peeps

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I recently picked up Kairosoft's Shiny Ski Resort. I played Game Dev Story some time ago but that one got repetitive quick. I'm still in Ski Resort (and loving it) but I'm assuming I'll have to move on eventually. What's the "best" (or everyone's favorite) Kairosoft games? I really like their vibe and would like to play more of them.

Severedseven
Jun 6, 2007

Heavy and light

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I recently picked up Kairosoft's Shiny Ski Resort. I played Game Dev Story some time ago but that one got repetitive quick. I'm still in Ski Resort (and loving it) but I'm assuming I'll have to move on eventually. What's the "best" (or everyone's favorite) Kairosoft games? I really like their vibe and would like to play more of them.

I really liked Dungeon Village, but that is years old by now and I don't know if they have a newer version or similar game with updated concepts.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone else pick up rangers of oblivion?

I just tried it out a bit and am surprised at how polished of a mobile mmo it is. Even has passable voice acting, and character creator with sliders!

I guess it's a monster Hunter type game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o63KsZVtP5U

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

That piffle game is tonnes of fun.
Also I'm rapidly becoming addicted to Golf Clash where you play one hole 1v1 with a closest to the pin tiebreak.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I adored Hot Springs Story and Sushi Spinnery, and have replayed them a few times, even. There are a few basic themes to Kairosoft games, and those are are in the same basic category as Ski Resort (which I also really liked).

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I love Sushi Spinnery, but the music gets on my nerves. The one you get for running an advertisement is ok though, so I run that just to not have to hear the regular music. I also have a soft spot for Pocket Academy, though it's easy to get into financial problems there if you're not careful, compared to other Kairosoft games.

Also Mega Mall Story I guess, but the crashes that start happening every so often once your tower gets big enough makes it annoying.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jan 17, 2019

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Harminoff posted:

Anyone else pick up rangers of oblivion?

I just tried it out a bit and am surprised at how polished of a mobile mmo it is. Even has passable voice acting, and character creator with sliders!

I guess it's a monster Hunter type game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o63KsZVtP5U

I have.

It's pretty fun thus far and runs reasonably well on my poo poo phone. I like that I can just click through the quests and mindlessly accomplish things.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Man I wish Darkest Dungeon could be played on phones. I know it's on iOS but only on iPad and also I don't have any iOS devices so that wouldn't help me anyway. If I could play Darkest Dungeon on my phone I'd adore that poo poo. No idea how to make the interface work which is probably why it's not available there, but hey :v:

Trastion posted:

It's not exactly an rpg but have you tried Gumballs & Dungeons? It is free and it get new content about once every couple months. Also it pretty much always has an event or 3 going.

I'll give that a shot, thanks.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

tonytheshoes posted:

I had a lot of fun with BBTAN : 7Years

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.percent.bbtanroulette

The slot machine mode is so addictive.

What a weird god damned game but I kind of love it?

Need more bust a move type games on my phone.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Harrow posted:

Man I wish Darkest Dungeon could be played on phones. I know it's on iOS but only on iPad and also I don't have any iOS devices so that wouldn't help me anyway. If I could play Darkest Dungeon on my phone I'd adore that poo poo. No idea how to make the interface work which is probably why it's not available there, but hey :v:

This, and Invisible Inc, too!

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I've been playing a lot of rounds of Werewolf Online lately.

It's a real-time multiplayer "mafia"-like game of secret roles and murder. Free to play, with occasional video ads between matches or 8n payment for in-game currency (mostly used for cosmetics). Matchmaking is quick, and the dev seems to be pretty active.

Checking in here to see if anyone else plays and if there's a clan for goons.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

They have a racing one that's basically Motorsport Manager Lite if that's up your alley, but it's probably closer to Game Dev Story than not. I never clicked with Dungeon Village Story myself to be honest.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Alehkhs posted:

I've been playing a lot of rounds of Werewolf Online lately.

It's a real-time multiplayer "mafia"-like game of secret roles and murder. Free to play, with occasional video ads between matches or 8n payment for in-game currency (mostly used for cosmetics). Matchmaking is quick, and the dev seems to be pretty active.

Checking in here to see if anyone else plays and if there's a clan for goons.

I was unaware of this, but now I know of it, I'll give it a go.

Going to take some time to learn all of the roles and what they do.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tsietisin posted:

I was unaware of this, but now I know of it, I'll give it a go.

Going to take some time to learn all of the roles and what they do.

Yeah, same. My in-game-name is RobotCousin, though I don't know specifically when I will get to this. I definitely will, though!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I have.

It's pretty fun thus far and runs reasonably well on my poo poo phone. I like that I can just click through the quests and mindlessly accomplish things.

I'm enjoying this way more than any other phone games right now, and it looks amazing and runs great on ultra on my essential. Hopefully it's not too much p2w later on, but right now I'm really enjoying it.

I definitely recommend others to try it out.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Good looking premium shmup is free for a bit:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.BrazosMobile.SpaceBattleKulkas

e: neeeevermind it's pretty bad.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 19, 2019

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Hey guys I think I found a spiritual successor to Dungeon Raid.

TROLL PATROL

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

cage-free egghead posted:

TROLL PATROL

Yeah, I posted about it last year, when it was called Den Of Defiance:

Kheldarn posted:

Den Of Defiance is currently in Unreleased Alpha Testing.

This plays very similar to Dungeon Raid. At the moment, it doesn't seem like there are any classes or skills, and the only upgrades you can buy are for +Armor, +Armor Durability, and +Gold. It's free, with no IAPs (at least for right now. Who knows what final release will bring?), though there are ads every time you die and tap on Restart. However, as of right now, the Skip Ad button can be tapped on before the ad video ever loads, and takes you to the screen where you can go get the app (which is just Android Test App :iiam:) or exit the ad.

It's not Dungeon Raid 2, but it's probably as close as we'll ever get. :smith:

I kept playing throughout the year, but by fall, I gave up, because uprgades were just too hard to come by. I keep thinking about checking it out again to see if it's improved...

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Yeah I gave troll patrol another shot and it's just a little to sparing on upgrades. I made it to a second boss, like 110 turns and got one level, 2 items, and one upgrade, followed by a swift death.

You need to hit wave 5 to unlock the first new class and that just doesn't feel possible with enemies scaling up and you... not.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

It just feels lacking, especially compared to the old race/class combos.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

gently caress, I remember playing a bit of Dungeon Raid, sitting in the car, while my wife was shopping for bridesmaids dresses 9 months before our wedding.

We've been married almost 6 years now :corsair:

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber

cage-free egghead posted:

TROLL PATROL

Don't tease me like that man

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Len posted:

I do work in data entry

From all of your posts, I'd swear you work for a company I used to work for called Arvato Digital. They sucked bad and I hated every day I had to go to work there. I have since moved on and now I am in the "get 4 weeks of PTO a year to use as I see fit for sick/vacation time" club and it's a much better club to be in. Sadly, that's about the best club you CAN be in here in the US. I see all the Euro goons talk about their time off and it really makes me want to re-locate at least until retirement!

The reason for all the job talk is because there are no good Android games coming out and this makes me sad. I need a new time waster!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

deathbagel posted:

The reason for all the job talk is because there are no good Android games coming out and this makes me sad. I need a new time waster!

Try out oddmar, king crusher, or rangers of oblivion.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Werewolf online could be cool but there's too many roles so it's just kind of nonsense. I'd really appreciate a more basic format so it's not just did the seer/det/aura seer do a good job/get murked early?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That seems like a pretty fundamental part of werewolf though?

Like the most basic setup is detective + doctor as the only special roles, and leans heavily on the detective revealing information to give the town something to work with.

The idea behind adding all the other roles is to *reduce* the impact the detective has on the game.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah, base werewolf/mafia is very much a game of deduction and reaction gauging, and can get pretty boring. It's the best with a group of players that are all familiar but not experts, as beginners just pick randomly and crucify anybody who tries to direct the flow of the game because they get mechanics.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Werewolf is only fun if you play the one night version and have all the ridiculous roles. Let everyone get to do something and things can just get batshit insane.

There was one game we played of it and I switched roles with one of the other guys at the table.

My fiancee unknowingly switched us back.

We spent a solid 10 minutes yelling about which of us was which.

It was great

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A friend of mine owns a used videogame store, and they used to have weekly tabletop boardgame nights.
Werewolf was a pretty frequent staple, and I hated it because they'd always elect to murder me first on the basis that I had a large beard, so I must be the werewolf.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
You really only have yourself to blame for that.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

the_steve posted:

A friend of mine owns a used videogame store, and they used to have weekly tabletop boardgame nights.
Werewolf was a pretty frequent staple, and I hated it because they'd always elect to murder me first on the basis that I had a large beard, so I must be the werewolf.

Ok guys, I'm the cop

"Kill him!"

What?

"Only a werewolf would say he was the cop!"

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

just play Secret Hitler, it's got all the best parts of traitor games, without all the role-swapping bullshit, and reduced player elimination.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lone Goat posted:

just play Secret Hitler, it's got all the best parts of traitor games, without all the role-swapping bullshit, and reduced player elimination.

It's got the worst part of traitor games though. Literally every game is zero-information, gut reaction voting with nothing to help you out.

Literally the only people who know anything are the bad guys and the person who checks someone else's role, who is probably a bad guy anyway, there's no way to know anything about what he's saying, so whatever he's saying can't be trusted anyway and so must be disregarded. The best strategy in the game is for Hitler to stay quiet the entire time and play like a good guy in every way until he's elected chancellor and wins. I've played close to a dozen games and this has been the way that the bad guys have won 100% of the time.

It's a bad game unless all you want to do is yell at people and accuse them of being Hitler, which, if that's what you want, great.

Edit: Thought this was the board game thread for a second, got very confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

the_steve posted:

I pretty much love this. Very hard to argue with their logic.