Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this stream is beautiful and love has been made real

shoutout to all the trans buckaroos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Chuck Tingle is as much of a treasure as I hoped he was.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Love is so real. Love is so fuckin real.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://twitter.com/ChuckTingle/status/1087213146677231617

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ArfJason posted:

The only thing i can think of a worse hell than chapo trap house is something like cumtown

Those and Hollywood Handbook are actually the only good non-sports podcasts, sorry mate.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I would question the taste of anyone who listens to sports podcasts

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kikas posted:

Ooooooh, a Megaman BN speedrun at a reasonable time for me? How lovely.

hey guys the donkey kong stream is great and all but mega man battle network

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I would question the taste of anyone who listens to sports podcasts

now that's flagrant

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

fadam posted:

now that's flagrant

Do you only listen to podcasts with Sean and Hayes in them?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Col. Roy Campbell posted:

Do you only listen to podcasts with Sean and Hayes in them?

They haven't appeared on Chapo or Cum Town (yet), so no.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
dk64's problems can be boiled down to "get the thing! great job you got the thing now do it 5000 more times"

banjo tooie's problems can be boiled down to "spend an eternity traversing this way too huge level to initiate step one of getting the thing. now go to this end of the level for step 2 which is an awful minigame. upon completing the awful minigame you can initiate step 3 of your quest to get the thing by going to the other end of the bad level and stepping into this portal to a previously inaccessible portion of another level. you're almost at the thing, now you just have to"

they're both bad but dk64 is wading through a trash pile bad and tooie is trapped in a sewer bad

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The cross level solutions are real bad in Tooie because they don't feel intuitive in any sense. It's easy to see something you can't reach and wonder if you missed something in the levels (hard to confirm due to levels being too big) to get access or if you're just not doing it right.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
dk64 is an incredibly good game if you just power the console down and shelf the game the exact moment you think "you know, this really has gone on a long time."

this is definitely the lazy way of doing it, but i'm just going to wait for the full archive or a highlight reel of hbomberguy's stream. really glad to see so much money raised for trans kids though, and to see Linehan's weird spiral on Twitter.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kaubocks posted:

hey guys the donkey kong stream is great and all but mega man battle network

I wonder how folder creation is approached for a speedrun. To get the most attacks per turn you need pa combos or as few codes as possible.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

It really drives home how great the design is in Mario 64.

It's the same issue I always had with the Turok games. Why is every level the size of a small nation and take an hour to navigate? Why weren't these broken down into smaller, faster maps? Especially the first game where you can only see ten feet in front of you so every hallway and cave may as well look the same and you have no idea where it's going.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Former Human posted:

It really drives home how great the design is in Mario 64.

It's the same issue I always had with the Turok games. Why is every level the size of a small nation and take an hour to navigate? Why weren't these broken down into smaller, faster maps? Especially the first game where you can only see ten feet in front of you so every hallway and cave may as well look the same and you have no idea where it's going.
It's hard now to get in the mindset of how things were in the early days of 3D video games, but huge levels back then were mindblowing. Not so much because of what they actually were, but because we could imagine the space being filled with interesting and fun things. We were all like Walt Disney looking over Floridian swampland, envisioning Main Street USA and Cinderella's Castle.

Now that we have plenty of games that fill up entire cities with stuff, going back to the early games with huge empty areas just makes us realize how empty they were.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

DK64 is a better speedgame because it's completely broke as gently caress, but Tooie is a way more enjoyable casual playthrough because the levels and characters/bosses are actually a little interesting (with the exception of Canary Mary who I hope is rotting in hell)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dk64 speedrun tech is AMAZING and people need to check out runs of it

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

I've only seen the TAS runs like the 0xB ones, but never an actual speedrun done by a human. Gotta watch the AGDQ2017 run.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah the speedruns are good because of how busted the game is. Reminder that the only reason it uses the expansion pack is because the game had a bug without it and they didnt know how to fix it

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kikas posted:

I've only seen the TAS runs like the 0xB ones, but never an actual speedrun done by a human. Gotta watch the AGDQ2017 run.
You will be surprised how much of the wall clips and stuff humans actually do.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

neongrey posted:

ee: Unrelatedly, the RPG Valkyries have released the schedule for their RPGs We Love marathon coming up in February. If you're into RPG speedruns, this is a killer schedule.

Vagrant Story, FF Tactics, and VP2? That looks pretty interesting, especially VP2, which I attempted and bounced off of at least twice.

I hope there'll be VODs, though, because none of those are at times I can watch.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ArfJason posted:

Yeah the speedruns are good because of how busted the game is. Reminder that the only reason it uses the expansion pack is because the game had a bug without it and they didnt know how to fix it

The bug in question only mattered because they were pushing the bountry of N64 ram use, despite their best effort and custom chip in the carts. The game is so vastly over ambitious they had to add a ton of hacks just to get it to run halfway decently. Those same hacks are way a lot of speedtech works.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I think that legit its not adding any performance enhancements other than fixing that gamebreaking bug. The game speeding up when it detects fps drops is just a measure to combat slowdown that was as bad as it would be without the xpac. I need to find where i read/watched that

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ArfJason posted:

I think that legit its not adding any performance enhancements other than fixing that gamebreaking bug. The game speeding up when it detects fps drops is just a measure to combat slowdown that was as bad as it would be without the xpac. I need to find where i read/watched that

They talk about that later one a lot in speedruns cause abusing lag speedup is how you clip through walls

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Johnny Joestar posted:

someone get hbomberguy to team up with gdq because he's already made over $100k just from suffering through donkey kong 64

The whole idea to do a DK64 charity stream came from a video he did that was basically 40 minutes of gushing about how good and cool speedrunning is, so I bet he'd be on board if GDQ wanted to do something with him.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'd enjoy a marathon where instead of skilled runners showcasing specific games, you could have a parade of trans runners and high-profile allies doing sloppy runs of games they're not that familiar with or good at. All while academics talk about history and nuclear power.

Part of why I like this idea is because I'd be qualified to participate.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Talk to the power up with pride staff

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

ToxicFrog posted:

Vagrant Story, FF Tactics, and VP2? That looks pretty interesting, especially VP2, which I attempted and bounced off of at least twice.

I hope there'll be VODs, though, because none of those are at times I can watch.

Yeah there'll deffo be vods

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

The whole idea to do a DK64 charity stream came from a video he did that was basically 40 minutes of gushing about how good and cool speedrunning is, so I bet he'd be on board if GDQ wanted to do something with him.

He's even official!

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
He's not, someone made that as a goof.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Lynx Winters posted:

He's not, someone made that as a goof.

Aw.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

So would this be the biggest charity stream by one person? I know groups have done way more, but it’s amazing to me that it became what it did in the end.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

They talk about that later one a lot in speedruns cause abusing lag speedup is how you clip through walls

Yes i am aware. By throwing lots of oranges and triggering massive slowdown the game speeds up to the point where the kongs speed can create enough displacement in one frame to hit triggers and all that. Im saying that the xpac's legit only function is to stave off the gamebreaking bug rather than make the game possible at all, and that the slowdowns would probably be the same if you managed to trick the game to run without it. In any case, this is more of a pedantic point lol, dk64 runs are great because of how awful the engine is. I remember i got out of bounds more than once playing casually

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

I'd enjoy a marathon where instead of skilled runners showcasing specific games, you could have a parade of trans runners and high-profile allies doing sloppy runs of games they're not that familiar with or good at. All while academics talk about history and nuclear power.

I thought that one stream people posted here was like that, with the bonus of it being actual speedrunning. I do understand that youd want popular personalities though

site posted:

Talk to the power up with pride staff

E: yeah this one

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Johnny Joestar posted:

the problem is that the terrible, awful final boss takes up like a full half of the speedrun

bobjr posted:

So would this be the biggest charity stream by one person? I know groups have done way more, but it’s amazing to me that it became what it did in the end.

not sure crediting it to just one person is the thing to do when he had a bunch of other e-celebrities with larger followings than him and a sitting us congresswoman promoting and being a part of the stream

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Prism posted:

He's even official!

He did turn on the infinite instruments and crystal coconuts cheats because the second rabbit race took a lot of tries, and it was extremely tedious to refill on coconuts after running out. that race looks like balls, possibly due to PAL framerate. The cheats are unlocked ingame by collecting a certain # of banana fairies, so I'm not sure if that would invalidate the run or not.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Supercar Gautier posted:

Would watch.

This was a really fun stream

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

FreeKillB posted:

He did turn on the infinite instruments and crystal coconuts cheats because the second rabbit race took a lot of tries, and it was extremely tedious to refill on coconuts after running out. that race looks like balls, possibly due to PAL framerate. The cheats are unlocked ingame by collecting a certain # of banana fairies, so I'm not sure if that would invalidate the run or not.

He used savestates during the final boss which would pretty clearly be a no-no, but also being almost 40 hours behind next to last place I feel like maybe they could overlook that due to the significance of the run outside of speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nep-Nep posted:

He used savestates during the final boss which would pretty clearly be a no-no, but also being almost 40 hours behind next to last place I feel like maybe they could overlook that due to the significance of the run outside of speed.

Given how many people were crying about leaderboard sanctity and saying “if hitler was the fastest you’d still have to have him on there”, the crying would be world-shattering

This is not an argument against doing it, mind