Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Memento posted:

Calle an idiot but shouldn't this sort of thing take place in, I dunno, a building?

The forges of Niðavellir cannot be contained in any building, foolish mortal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

Calle an idiot but shouldn't this sort of thing take place in, I dunno, a building?

???

I don't see how that would be a big deal. I mean I understand your question, but...

why?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It's fairly late and I've had a lot of cough syrup but I'm pretty sure I'm actually watching this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF93fi30Sfg

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Farmdizzle posted:

???

I don't see how that would be a big deal. I mean I understand your question, but...

why?

e: I guess what I'm asking is am I not thinking of some stupidly obvious reason other than possibly rainfall? I guess it would be ideal to be in a building if it's in the budget but that doesn't look like a high-dollar broom to me, for one thing. (Also PPE is clearly not much of the budget either, obviously.)

double edit: quote is not edit and I will wear my fuckup proudly

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Platystemon posted:

To the thread in general or to specific “problematic” tweets?

That seemed to be a side passing, carry on contributing good content!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Farmdizzle posted:

e: I guess what I'm asking is am I not thinking of some stupidly obvious reason other than possibly rainfall? I guess it would be ideal to be in a building if it's in the budget but that doesn't look like a high-dollar broom to me, for one thing. (Also PPE is clearly not much of the budget either, obviously.)

double edit: quote is not edit and I will wear my fuckup proudly

Yeah, I guess apart from rainfall, I dunno? The mechanisms of the hammer would probably prefer not to be rained on, and if it snows in that area that sort of thing turns into nasty mush pretty quickly in an industrial setting. I guess you could just wait out any rainfall heavy enough to be a steam issue for the scale-cleaner there, and I don't know enough about forging things like this to know whether or not getting little cold spots from rain would affect the work.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Memento posted:

whether or not getting little cold spots from rain would affect the work.

Chabuduo :shrug:

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

McSpanky posted:

It's fairly late and I've had a lot of cough syrup but I'm pretty sure I'm actually watching this

This is truly fantastic. I don't even know where to start.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

Yeah, I guess apart from rainfall, I dunno? The mechanisms of the hammer would probably prefer not to be rained on, and if it snows in that area that sort of thing turns into nasty mush pretty quickly in an industrial setting. I guess you could just wait out any rainfall heavy enough to be a steam issue for the scale-cleaner there, and I don't know enough about forging things like this to know whether or not getting little cold spots from rain would affect the work.

Those are all good reasons that I was blanking on.

Well there's gotta be something to it, 'cause I think that's like the third drop hammer video like that I've seen over the years in this thread.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I had to google this but it was pretty enlightening.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

I worked in a factory that made large plastic items via filling molds with powder and sending into a giant industrial oven that heated to 550 degrees F. At the end of the week I was cleaning said oven and my boss, not knowing i was inside, turned it on. At the sound of hydraulic doors closing i dove out of the oven just as they closed and avoided free cremation. I both got the hell out of that oven and that company pretty quick

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Memento posted:

Those hammer forges are like 4 stories tall and rain is probably better for the mechanisms than hot boxing the spall he's brushing off. So you need a 4 story building with ventilation for dust and not baking the broom dude and make sure there's access to it for repairs and operation or you can just not run through hammer forge in bad weather and put up some tarps in mediocre weather.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

McSpanky posted:

I feel like I've been drinking cough syrup after watching it.

Ixian posted:

This is truly fantastic. I don't even know where to start.

How about with the apple?

(full disclosure) I am an old that had to watch stuff like this as a truck driver in the early 80s

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Megillah Gorilla posted:

There's a video of an accident at a Chinese rocket launch facility which ends with everyone walking around on fire and dying. But it's in low res and compressed to hell. Even so, it's incredibly disturbing to watch.

The Mexico fire is in high def and has sound.

Put it on the list of things you never need to see.

I've already decided this isn't a video for me to watch. But I keep thinking to the video from before the explosion, with people wandering around the soaked field with plastic containers. I don't know if Mexico has the "stop drop and roll" training I got growing up, but drop and roll would just make everything worse when the ground is literally a saturated gasoline sponge. That video is probably one of the closest things to literal hell available and I will be happy not to see it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

McSpanky posted:

The forges of Niðavellir cannot be contained in any building, foolish mortal.

Thor is going to get a big OSHA fine for not wearing eye protection when he channeled the energy of a star through his body.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zero One posted:

Thor is going to get a big OSHA fine for not wearing eye protection when he channeled the energy of a star through his body.
I wonder if he'd get the full fine or if they'd knock off 50%

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

zedprime posted:

Those hammer forges are like 4 stories tall and rain is probably better for the mechanisms than hot boxing the spall he's brushing off. So you need a 4 story building with ventilation for dust and not baking the broom dude and make sure there's access to it for repairs and operation or you can just not run through hammer forge in bad weather and put up some tarps in mediocre weather.

I mean there's a reason that Chinese steel has the reputation it does, and "forged in an uncontrolled environment by untrained farmers" probably plays more than a small part of that.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

You really really need the sound on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOgE2W0Uq8I&hd=1

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Chinese smiths allegedly forge a LARGE flange on the street

“allegedly”

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nuevo posted:

Why does it say "allegedly"?

schmug
May 20, 2007

Nuevo posted:

it's beautiful :allears:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Nuevo posted:

this is the most madmax metal work poo poo i've ever seen, two guys jousting a massive puck of hot iron with forklifts, random peons under the hammer putting cutters in and brushing it trying to stay alive. wow.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Platystemon posted:

“allegedly”

that is Chinese OSHA in a nut shell

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

drunkill posted:

Anyway...

I feel like this is actually a pretty effective overhead clearance warning. If your truck hits this it will definitely snap the heavy-rear end beam loose and you aren't likely to continue driving into a place where hitting the overhead beams might actually matter. Then it can be reassembled quickly, ready to stop the next oblivious driver.

schmug
May 20, 2007

withak posted:

I feel like this is actually a pretty effective overhead clearance warning. If your truck hits this it will definitely snap the heavy-rear end beam loose and you aren't likely to continue driving into a place where hitting the overhead beams might actually matter. Then it can be reassembled quickly, ready to stop the next oblivious driver.

we finally discovered the fix for the 11'8" bridge!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I think the 11'8" bridge already have one of those steel bars in place. But it's bolted down, so any truck too tall will stop before damaging the overpass, whether the driver wants to stop or not.

schmug
May 20, 2007

ymgve posted:

I think the 11'8" bridge already have one of those steel bars in place. But it's bolted down, so any truck too tall will stop before damaging the overpass, whether the driver wants to stop or not.

no man, think big, the whole bridge

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Queen Combat posted:

Oh man we gonna start a beekeeper fight? Honeyflow hives are poo poo for not just the money they cost, but the bees and their yield. For the (holy poo poo seven hundred dollars? I bought one from somebody awhile back for $150 and it felt like a rip off) cost, you can straight up buy like 10-15 hive boxes from a company, or build two dozen of your own. Subtract a hundo-fifty for the cost of a hot knife or small spinner, and you're still out 2x ahead doing it with real hives.

That said, any hive is better than none, so if you want to drop the dough, I mean, it's your money and my rage is 90% manufactured for comedy

Call me an ignorant hobbyist beekeeper, but how are the dumbass bees meant to know that the frames are empty? You've drained the honey out from the inside, and the bees aren't going to know they're empty until they try and open them once the brood super is empty at some point in winter. At least if you're taking the honey super off, decapping them and then draining them normally (centrifuging, or just gravity, whatever), the cells are at least physically empty and the bees are clever enough to realise this and start refilling them as soon as they're able to.

Also, if you're not going to open the brood up, how the gently caress are you meant to check for queen cells? I'd rather smoosh 50 queen cells each time then have to take a cardboard box and and all my beekeeping kit out to a random rear end field to get them back after they swarmed.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Nuevo posted:

I guess it was optimistic but I'm disappointed that the tongs poking into the original clip are a forklift and not some Chinese power loader suit

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcGvwCtXFTA&t=123s

kreosan doing the good work of lighting an oxygen cylinder on fire in a bathtub

"the oxygen gave out a very bright flash. when we were back, we discovered that the bath and tires were dematerialized. in the area of dozens meters the land was burned. the gas cylinder has flown somewhere really far. it was flying like a real spinning rocket and the noise was terrible"

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 21, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUmIDz5L0O8

That time BackyardScientist almost killed his girlfriend.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUmIDz5L0O8

That time BackyardScientist almost killed his girlfriend.

What makes this guy a scientist again

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Coxswain Balls posted:

What makes this guy a scientist again

He's a backyard scientist, not a real scientist.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thomas, Son of Killdozer! :killdozer:
https://www.facebook.com/libcom.org/posts/10156728794271023

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Someone wasn't too pleased with their travel accommodations, I guess.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Hahahahahaha loving hell. Lad's going for it! 🇬🇧 There's internal video too. He got his 600 quids worth and then some.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157278888726111&id=628356110

Edit: I'm fascinated by this video. I think my favourite bit is the dipshit trying to stop the bucket by hand. Do you reckon he had second thoughts halfway through and figured it was too late to stop, or was it all just red curtain and then he wakes up as the coppers drag him into the wagon?

darkwasthenight fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 21, 2019

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://i.imgur.com/eZN8hW3.mp4

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Satan's fleshlight has arrived. God drat thing looks like an egg for a 10 year out of date Blizzard villain.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Satan's fleshlight has arrived. God drat thing looks like an egg for a 10 year out of date Blizzard villain.

That's actually Ragnaros' final resting place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

me after a 3 week teco bell cleanse