Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

The show goes what, 3 episodes past the pilot before the Starfleet/Maquis tension disappears? I will never understand that beyond the producer mandate that people had to be able to watch any random VOY episode without knowing context

Yeah, the Maquis conflict really just evaporates by the end of Caretaker. But in season one, they seem to be kinda sorta trying to stick to the premise while still doing the episodic thing.

Then they stop trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FlamingLiberal posted:

The show goes what, 3 episodes past the pilot before the Starfleet/Maquis tension disappears? I will never understand that beyond the producer mandate that people had to be able to watch any random VOY episode without knowing context

Funniest thing was the Maquis were invented specifically for Voyager and then DS9 just dunked on them with vastly more interesting Maquis material. Then killed them all.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

Funniest thing was the Maquis were invented specifically for Voyager and then DS9 just dunked on them with vastly more interesting Maquis material. Then killed them all.

This was the right decision

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There’s a sporadic plot line through season 1 about how Tom is some kind of revolutionary malcontent who’s intriguing with the Maquis about overthrowing Janeway. It doesn’t come off because 1) it was all a ruse by Janeway and Paris, 2) it’s a minor plot point in like three episodes because serialization is the devil and 3) I mean come on, loving look at Paris, he’s about as revolutionary as Mitt Romney.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Paris wasn’t positioned as any kind of revolutionary. He was just constantly late, sloppy, and unprofessional. That was their big, secret plan.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

HD DAD posted:

Yeah, the Maquis conflict really just evaporates by the end of Caretaker. But in season one, they seem to be kinda sorta trying to stick to the premise while still doing the episodic thing.

Then they stop trying.

Then randomly bring it up throughout the show but by that point, a lot of viewers probably hadn't seen the pilot episode and have no clue why all they're favorite characters are now dressed in brown and point guns at people. I saw Endgame when it came out and didn't see Caretaker for at least 5 years after that.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s funny because most of the main cast have interesting traits they could have leaned into more. Paris just does not give a poo poo, B’elanna is a complete misanthrope, Chakotay is a powerless weenie, Tuvok has unchecked rage issues, Kim has O’Brien syndrome...but they just usually come off as meat puppets spouting about neutrinos and the deflector array.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pick posted:

This was the right decision
The Dominion Did Nothing Wrong

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

Then randomly bring it up throughout the show but by that point, a lot of viewers probably hadn't seen the pilot episode and have no clue why all they're favorite characters are now dressed in brown and point guns at people. I saw Endgame when it came out and didn't see Caretaker for at least 5 years after that.
The last time it really comes up is in 'Worst Case Scenario', that mid-show episode where some crew members find Tuvok's secret security training program that he developed if the Maquis crew had ever mutinied and tried to take the ship. I actually like that one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FlamingLiberal posted:

The last time it really comes up is in 'Worst Case Scenario', that mid-show episode where some crew members find Tuvok's secret security training program that he developed if the Maquis crew had ever mutinied and tried to take the ship. I actually like that one.

That's a good one, rewatched it recently.

The space wrestling one is somehow simultaneously a good episode and also extremely dumb. Helps that Combs and Hertzler are the guest stars. Also I always forget that The Rock was like half the size he is today when he was actually a wrestler.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

That's a good one, rewatched it recently.

The space wrestling one is somehow simultaneously a good episode and also extremely dumb. Helps that Combs and Hertzler are the guest stars. Also I always forget that The Rock was like half the size he is today when he was actually a wrestler.
Yeah I just hated the dumb twist in Worst Case Scenario where somehow Seska found out about it and made it into some kind of murder trap for Tuvok, but he never used it again after she left the ship.

I do remember The Rock looking tiny back then compared to now. Steroids are a hell of a drug(s).

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

No. The Rock doesn't juice. He is all natty. Pinky swear.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I'm pretty sure Voyager started with something like 50 torpedos (knowing them I'm guessing it was '47 torpedos') and 3 shuttles and then just kept shooting torpedos and blowing up shuttles like they were candy.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Holy poo poo, I just found out Eddington is the hero from Krull!!!

:monocle:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Phylodox posted:

Holy poo poo, I just found out Eddington is the hero from Krull!!!

:monocle:

What the gently caress??

What happened to his hair :(

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

When you try to cut your own hair with a five-bladed throwing star, stuff happens.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
YES

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

No. The Rock doesn't juice. He is all natty. Pinky swear.

Dude eats an unholy amount of cod.

The cod is full of the juice.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Phylodox posted:

Paris wasn’t positioned as any kind of revolutionary. He was just constantly late, sloppy, and unprofessional. That was their big, secret plan.

Even this would have been more interesting if they had done it for real. Like, have the show deal with the fact that some people— especially the non-Starfleet— would probably become depressed about the idea of being confined to Voyager for the rest of their lives and stop giving a poo poo about military professionalism.

Though I think it would have been interesting if this was a bunch of people except for unexpectedly Paris. Like half the crew rebels and says "gently caress this uniform-wearing, rank-saluting garbage, I'm doing casual Friday," a bunch more flat out mutiny, and Paris the convict becomes the one backing Janeway 100% because he feels indebted to her for a second chance.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ashpanash posted:

I'm pretty sure Voyager started with something like 50 torpedos (knowing them I'm guessing it was '47 torpedos') and 3 shuttles and then just kept shooting torpedos and blowing up shuttles like they were candy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIGxMENwq1k

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
That's the terrible thing about Voyager. It really wasn't, for the most part, a horrible show. But it could have been so much more than it was.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It had a couple of good episodes, I remember really enjoying the two-parter where they went back in time to Los Angeles, as well as the two episodes of Suder and some doctor ones.

Unfortunately that's all I remember. The rest were a bit shite. I watched DS9 after Voyager so my appreciation of the latter definitely went down by a fair bit

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Voyager did have some good stuff, mainly because a good chunk of the cast actually were pretty good actors and could do well when given a decent script and direction. The Thaw, Timeless, Year of Hell, Living Witness, Relativity, Equinox, Scorpion, Bride of Chaotica, and Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy are all on my personal list of good Trek episodes (or at least guilty pleasures for Relativity).

For me, Enterprise is the one I have to sit down and really think about what the good episodes were.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 22, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Epicurius posted:

That's the terrible thing about Voyager. It really wasn't, for the most part, a horrible show. But it could have been so much more than it was.
It’s biggest sin is its blandness. So many episodes are irrelevant and I would struggle to remember.

It also has fewer strong main characters compared to its predecessors. Most Doctor-centric episodes are good, but can you remember a single one centered around Harry? Probably not.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

INT. BRIDGE

TOM PARIS enters.

JANEWAY
Mr. Paris, take your station. The Kazon have appeared.

PARIS
That's hip, mama!

Pause while audience cheers the catchphrase. CHAKOTAY shakes his head while smiling.

CHAKOTAY
Tom, this situation is a bit more serious than that. They're partnered with the Vidiians, and are using Borg technology.

KIM
Wh-wh-wh-whaaaaat?!

Pause for laughter.

Not this but I'd watch a Star Trek sitcom if it was done completely tongue-in-cheek. But Neelix would have to be reviled by everyone.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I mean at least a sitcom has consistent characters and focus on them, rather than INANIMATE ANOMALY OF THE WEEK which lacks personality

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

It also has fewer strong main characters compared to its predecessors. Most Doctor-centric episodes are good, but can you remember a single one centered around Harry? Probably not.

Did he have one where he fell in love with a holodeck character or something? Kim got remarkably little character development throughout the series. Kes, who was only in it for half as long, got more. I mean. Lon Suder, the Betazoid sociopath played by Brad Douriff, got more, and he was only in three episodes.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

simplefish posted:

Not this but I'd watch a Star Trek sitcom if it was done completely tongue-in-cheek. But Neelix would have to be reviled by everyone.

NEELIX enters.

*audience boos*

Neelix: Greetings, humans. Would anyone like - -

*audience boos louder*

Neelix: I just - -

*booing intensifies, audience leaves seats, Kim starts crying*

Neelix: PLEASE

*audience surrounds Neelix, screaming so hard they vomit with rage*

Janeway: Wait!

*audience spins round, Kim wipes snot from nose*

Janeway: There's coffee in that nebula

*audience laughs, freeze frame on Neelix shirt ruffled and prosthetics half pulled off*

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

NEELIX enters.

*audience boos*

Neelix: Greetings, humans. Would anyone like - -

*audience boos louder*

Neelix: I just - -

*booing intensifies, audience leaves seats, Kim starts crying*

Neelix: PLEASE

*audience surrounds Neelix, screaming so hard they vomit with rage*

Janeway: Wait!

*audience spins round, Kim wipes snot from nose*

Janeway: There's coffee in that nebula

*audience laughs, freeze frame on Neelix shirt ruffled and prosthetics half pulled off*

better than what we got

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s biggest sin is its blandness. So many episodes are irrelevant and I would struggle to remember.

I watched "The Chute" and it was what I thought it'd be. They wanted a prison piece, but they thought their bland characters wouldn't make good entertainment without doing anything too immoral for Star Trek, so they had to use a sci-fi device to drive them mad and change their personalities for the duration of it

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

There's one where he gets an STD

and... uh.... the Klingon woman who wants him? He has a few lines in that.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Getting to the end of season 1 of TNG. Conspiracy owned. Fantastic episode.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Spacebump posted:

Getting to the end of season 1 of TNG. Conspiracy owned. Fantastic episode.

Looking back on it, I can't believe they let that episode air on network television in the 1980s.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

simplefish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2hs0oZ6JuQ

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Delsaber posted:

Dude eats an unholy amount of cod.

The cod is full of the juice.

This former wrestler knows one crazy trick for getting huge! Newfoundland hates him for imploding the fisheries!!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

McSpanky posted:

Looking back on it, I can't believe they let that episode air on network television in the 1980s.

Definitely; people always point to the head exploding, but the alien poking out of the Mortal Kombat-style gaping human torso cavity is even crazier to me.

To think it all happened basically because Gene Roddenberry vetoed what was essentially an early draft of Homefront / Paradise Lost, which would go on to be hailed as some of the most important, socially relevant stuff the franchise ever did. In favor of people and aliens getting blown to giblets with phasers. The more utopian option!

Granted, it was really too early to properly do a Homefront / Paradise Lost anyway, so it's just as well.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

The one where he gets an STD. And the one where he tries to have a foursome with some succubi.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

The one where he gets an STD. And the one where he tries to have a foursome with some succubi.

When you have that kind of opportunity, the worst regret you'd ever have is turning it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

FlamingLiberal posted:

There's one near the end of the show where some Bajorian guy is chanting stuff at the start and it brainwashes the maquis to take over the ship, I can't really remember the plot well.