Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

That Fetish Fairy convo actually wasn't horribly offensive :toot:!

I mean, I still want to see Titania get sacrificed to Arceus so he cleanses Reborn in flame, but hey, I can't get everything I want.

There any more of those Mawuh cartoons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

ChrisBTY posted:

That sounds like a job for...badge hunter Raven.

"Yes I read the drat diary. I did it because I was bored. Maybe next time you won't waste my time and just skip to the drat gym battle."
"Ok I'm finally down here. Can we have that gym battle please?"
"Oh we need to rescue another gym leader. Fine, last thing I need is another one of these drat things going inert on me."
"Uh Titania can you at least check them for badges before you murder them in cold blood with your comically oversized sword?"
"Taka, there's no reason for us to fight. You're both gutless and lacking in the gym badge department"
"Are you still sad because your fake wife doesn't love you? I'm just making sure you're not going to take a mental health day or anything. I think I've given you enough leeway"
"Terra, this is the first time in history I regret bothering to get a gym badge and I've been in this goddamn city long enough to get a dozen of the loving things"
"Shade? Didn't I already get your gym badge? Why are you talking to me?"

"Also, and I cannot stress this enough, WHERE. IS. MY. FISH?"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Also considering that this is a route divergeance we're entering the part of the game where Amethyst stops chronicling what actually happened in the Roleplaying community and starts explicitly making fanfiction about real people, this includes the suicide lesbians.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Kurieg posted:

Also considering that this is a route divergeance we're entering the part of the game where Amethyst stops chronicling what actually happened in the Roleplaying community and starts explicitly making fanfiction about real people, this includes the suicide lesbians.

I'd say God help us, but God is dead and/or a Pokemon. Welp.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I personally think people are already thinking too far with their ideas for "what would be better"

It's supposedly a Pokemon game. Pokemon games don't have deep poo poo like justification for why a diary is read by the player. It's there, you read it. If it is addressed by an NPC it's done in one sentence "I see you have been snooping in my diary!" DONE

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

Kurieg posted:

:bang:

Gridlocked posted:

I personally think people are already thinking too far with their ideas for "what would be better"

It's supposedly a Pokemon game. Pokemon games don't have deep poo poo like justification for why a diary is read by the player. It's there, you read it. If it is addressed by an NPC it's done in one sentence "I see you have been snooping in my diary!" DONE

I think it's less about justification, and rather about making the character better. Which is fine.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Gridlocked posted:

With optional "DIE NOW" if you're feeling particularly cruel about it. Nintendo have pulled such, so....

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

DiggleWrath posted:

Welp, Serra is veritable angel for how she reacted when she heard that Bennett joined team meteor. I fairly confident that she's the most moral character in the game right now.

Also, Omni said that we weren't done dragging around Kiki and Corey, so maybe they'll somehow get "better" and the other two characters who were promised to die will in fact, die.

Knowing this game, the writing will still place Bennett in the right and Serra in the wrong somehow.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Gridlocked posted:

Pokémon games have dealt with serious issues for quite some time, they just do it with actual grace and subtlety. Hell, Sun/Moon specifically touched on stratification and abusive families, which is supposedly Reborn's oeuvre.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Pokémon games have dealt with serious issues for quite some time, they just do it with actual grace and subtlety. Hell, Sun/Moon specifically touched on stratification and abusive families, which is supposedly Reborn's oeuvre.

My point being they do so in a very succinct manner made to work within the framework that the game presents. Just on a pure design level did Amethyst really that sitting through extensive backstory and exposition with what 80 characters per text box was a good idea?

Edit: Yes I do realize that my argument boils down to "Pokemon Reborn is bad guys :downs:"

GoldGeno
Dec 26, 2018

DiggleWrath posted:

i did the thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbug6ySLXHk

at the end of the day, it was probably more effort than it was worth, but at least it's done now.

it's not perfect by any means, or even good, but it needed to be done so I can work on other things.

I love this, it perfectly captures the essence of this...experience.

Kurieg posted:

Oh sweet merciful gently caress we're into fanfiction about real-life people now? I'm...honestly not sure if that's better or worse than everything we've seen up to this point. On the one hand, we'll see less of Amethyst taking controversial real-life events and haphazardly jamming them into her game. On the other, we'll see more of Amethyst spinning her own brand of bullshit.

This can only end in tragedy...

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

DeafNote posted:

Knowing this game, the writing will still place Bennett in the right and Serra in the wrong somehow.

how dare this overbearing mother refuse to let her child follow his dream of being a pedohpile terrorist

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

Question: was Serra actually Bennett's mom IRL? It absolutely wouldn't surprise me, but I don't know if it's ever come up.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Radio Free Kobold posted:

yeah, because the whole point of a pulsemon is to be some giant indestructable wall that takes you sixty turns of plinking away in the best of cases. just slapping the motherfucker with Toxic means the fight is over in five turns assuming no healing, and 16 turns absolute maximum due to Toxic's damage incrementing.
for that matter i'm surprised we haven't just Perish Song'd some of these fuckers but we probably don't have access to that because i bet that awful dev removed them as soon as someone pointed out we could trivialize their stupid gimmick bossfights with ~smart plays~

There's a Prankster Murkrow way earlier in the game, but I don't think we got it when it was first available (locked to one of the two gangs, Raven joined the other one) and I don't know when or if you can get it again. I used it on all of these boss pokemon fights until I gave up playing this game.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

If there's a split path dealing with Reshiram and Zekrom, does that mean the story is about to talk about TRUTH and IDEALS for 30 updates? Since we all know Ame will not be subtle about it and the last thing this loving game needs is BW's story, but told ~better~ and being more ~serious~ and all that garbage.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The real question is which route lets you get your loving fish back?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Kyrosiris posted:

The real question is which route lets you get your loving fish back?

Neither. We missed that route split back in episode 2, and it's only going to be implemented in E19.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Wouldn't it be more tone-deaf to have it resolved immediately as an NG+ thing because of time travel? ("RAVEN, IT'S YOU FROM THE FUTURE! THAT DUDE WILL STEAL YOUR FISH!") I believe it's the only other big storytelling cliche that hasn't been used yet as part of the game.

Although the only reason I remember that being sideplot is because we keep bringing it up and not, you know, the game itself. :v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Sage Grimm posted:

Wouldn't it be more tone-deaf to have it resolved immediately as an NG+ thing because of time travel? ("RAVEN, IT'S YOU FROM THE FUTURE! THAT DUDE WILL STEAL YOUR FISH!") I believe it's the only other big storytelling cliche that hasn't been used yet as part of the game.

Although the only reason I remember that being sideplot is because we keep bringing it up and not, you know, the game itself. :v:

The game did do a callback to it when we got to the black market. We were able to buy our fish back but it was immediately stolen from us again by some rooftop vigilante.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Draxion posted:

There's a Prankster Murkrow way earlier in the game, but I don't think we got it when it was first available (locked to one of the two gangs, Raven joined the other one) and I don't know when or if you can get it again. I used it on all of these boss pokemon fights until I gave up playing this game.

Think we missed it because it's one of the wonderful specific conditions(time + weather + item) nonsense, but it was available to the gang that OFS chose(and could be obtained if you chose the other gang, just after you attack their hideout.) Its also not guaranteed to have Perish Song either(nor Prankster, but Perish Song is an egg move so otherwise difficult to obtain.)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Crosspeice posted:

If there's a split path dealing with Reshiram and Zekrom, does that mean the story is about to talk about TRUTH and IDEALS for 30 updates? Since we all know Ame will not be subtle about it and the last thing this loving game needs is BW's story, but told ~better~ and being more ~serious~ and all that garbage.

No it's an arbitrary detail that changes depending on the choice. It's become the name because it's the only way to refer to the split without spoilers, and it's a concrete detail that can be checked.

It's which dragon a statue depicts. Neither route really delves into symbols.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

My top 3 list of shittiest characters is currently

1. Gardevore
2. Titania
3. Cain

My choice of most hated characters boils down to one thing: how much does the character remind me of TVTropes.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I hate them all.

GoldGeno
Dec 26, 2018

Ah, I remember my TVTropes phase.

Dark times.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Getting rid of This Troper was a tragedy for all cringe comedy lovers.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Black Robe posted:

"Also, and I cannot stress this enough, WHERE. IS. MY. FISH?"

You know, thinking about this. If Raven's motivation is the fish, this makes her one of the stupidest characters in all of Reborn, probably fitting in a way.

I mean, think about it. The fish is not uncommon. She could just leave this dump, get away from this sorry excuse of a region. She go to like any other region in the world, throw a string tied to a stick in the water, and she would have a fish very quickly. A fish that would listen to her without question regardless of its level too, even. What, you're saying it's about the principal of it all, and that wouldn't be her fish? What well-adjusted person would put up with all the people in Reborn just for the sake of one specific fish? It's not worth it. Not worth it to anyone but Raven that is.

What about the league? Well, same thing. She could go to any other region and compete in any other league, without having to put up with the stupidity of Reborn's. I mean sure, diversions to your challenge in other regions are not unheard of. But they're relatively minor compared to what you have to put up with here, like winning a radio promotion, maybe fighting an evil team in the city. Here it goes as far as Herculean efforts to perform simple tasks. That's not even getting into everything else that's unappealing about the region, either. She is either incredibly stubborn, incredibly stupid, or a combination of both to keep going. Or perhaps they're the only thing keeping her going.

This may also explain why she comes across as a refrigerator. She's just so single-minded in her goals of getting this one fish and/or beating this one league, that she hardly cares about anything going on around her. "Some dude walked up and stole this precious heirloom that is also a key right from my pocket? Eh, whatever, where's my fish?"

Raven has succumbed to the madness of Reborn. She has become one of them.

Of course, she never talks anyone's ear off via 17 dialogue boxes in a row. So that automatically makes even this interpretation of her better than every other character in Reborn.

GoldGeno
Dec 26, 2018

SirSystemError posted:

You know, thinking about this. If Raven's motivation is the fish, this makes her one of the stupidest characters in all of Reborn, probably fitting in a way.

I mean, think about it. The fish is not uncommon. She could just leave this dump, get away from this sorry excuse of a region. She go to like any other region in the world, throw a string tied to a stick in the water, and she would have a fish very quickly. A fish that would listen to her without question regardless of its level too, even. What, you're saying it's about the principal of it all, and that wouldn't be her fish? What well-adjusted person would put up with all the people in Reborn just for the sake of one specific fish? It's not worth it. Not worth it to anyone but Raven that is.

What about the league? Well, same thing. She could go to any other region and compete in any other league, without having to put up with the stupidity of Reborn's. I mean sure, diversions to your challenge in other regions are not unheard of. But they're relatively minor compared to what you have to put up with here, like winning a radio promotion, maybe fighting an evil team in the city. Here it goes as far as Herculean efforts to perform simple tasks. That's not even getting into everything else that's unappealing about the region, either. She is either incredibly stubborn, incredibly stupid, or a combination of both to keep going. Or perhaps they're the only thing keeping her going.

This may also explain why she comes across as a refrigerator. She's just so single-minded in her goals of getting this one fish and/or beating this one league, that she hardly cares about anything going on around her. "Some dude walked up and stole this precious heirloom that is also a key right from my pocket? Eh, whatever, where's my fish?"

Of course, she never talks anyone's ear off via 17 dialogue boxes in a row. So that automatically makes even this interpretation of her better than every other character in Reborn.

Raven is so thoroughly far gone that it's a matter of spite now. She wants to get that loving fish just to spite the world of Reborn for thinking it could have that little victory.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

GoldGeno posted:

Raven is so thoroughly far gone that it's a matter of spite now. She wants to get that loving fish just to spite the world of Reborn for thinking it could have that little victory.

I was about to say the same thing, but in general. Raven continues not for the sake of the plot, but to spite the plot itself. It wants to jerk off it's special snowflakes, well Raven doesn't give a gently caress about the snowflakes, she's here for her fish, and her loving Champion status, and then she's on the first plane, train, or Pokemon to a better region, like Johto, or Kalos.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I predict maybe 5 more pointless deaths(probably based on real deaths) before the end of this trainwreck.

And that's me being generous.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SirSystemError posted:

You don't get it. It's not about the rarity of the fish. It's that it's Ravens loving fish. She brought it. It's hers and everything between her and her fish gets to die. It's the principle of the matter. It's OUR fish.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

If everyone in Reborn is awful, then isn't Team Meteor right?

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

True, but there's the fact that "everyone in Reborn" contains Team Meteor.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Part of their goal is sensible but the rest is still stupid and they're just as deserving of eternal suffering as the rest of this game's cast with extremely few exceptions.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Would be a pretty powerful move if Raven destroyed Team Meteor's ambitions only to turn around and then destroy Reborn herself in a "I'll show you how it's done" moment because she knew Meteor's bullshit would fail anyway.

Too bad that'd never happen because Raven doesn't have agency and Ame can't write worth a poo poo.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I predict maybe 5 more pointless deaths(probably based on real deaths) before the end of this trainwreck.

And that's me being generous.

Does that tally include your own soul?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

SirSystemError posted:

She could just leave this dump, get away from this sorry excuse of a region. She go to like any other region in the world, throw a string tied to a stick in the water, and she would have a fish very quickly.

She can’t leave, the train blew up. And no one is fixing it because Reborn.

I like the theory that Raven wasn’t even trying to go here, it’s just on the way to her real destination. Reborn is the part of the train ride where you hope it leaves as soon as possible, because out the window there’s a hobo snorting powdered Rhydon horn or whatever it is the pokedrugs are made of.

But hey, if you get trapped there you may as well become a champion and get a fish. She doesn’t protect any of the macguffins because why would she care? She doesn’t do anything in the cutscenes because seriously, why should she care? She’s gonna win the championship, which is probably required to be allowed to use Fly, and then she’ll leave and never come back and lie about what she did on vacation for the rest of her life.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Qrr posted:

or whatever it is the pokedrugs are made of.

Rare candies and chunks of sharp blue glass.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

How much of it is "Fanfiction about real people" and how much is "Fanfiction about characters she made up for real people to play, and then some of them roleplayed those characters beyond the extent she initially intended?"

And agreed that Serra gets points for having a rational reaction to being told your son is hanging out with a bad crowd.

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

The Golux posted:

How much of it is "Fanfiction about real people" and how much is "Fanfiction about characters she made up for real people to play, and then some of them roleplayed those characters beyond the extent she initially intended?"

A lot of it is fanfiction about real people because of the use of behind-the-scenes drama for the players from the original RP rather than in-character drama. Things that happened to the actual players have bearing on what happens in the game, from poo poo like an actual suicide being used to custody battles and being disowned or kicked out. Writers who do crap like this don't know the difference between "write what you know" and "copy wholesale from real life stuff that might be sensitive to those involved".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

GruntMountain posted:

A lot of it is fanfiction about real people because of the use of behind-the-scenes drama for the players from the original RP rather than in-character drama. Things that happened to the actual players have bearing on what happens in the game, from poo poo like an actual suicide being used to custody battles and being disowned or kicked out. Writers who do crap like this don't know the difference between "write what you know" and "copy wholesale from real life stuff that might be sensitive to those involved".

Oh no, this wasn't "Write what you know at all." This was a very deliberate attempt to chronicle the trials and tribulations of this whole 'league'. It's better to not think of Pokemon Reborn as a game. Think of it as an ancient Mesopotamian obelisk. It chronicles the long history of this nonsense. In dramatized form.