Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

StrixNebulosa posted:

:(

That's some real good emotional storytelling right there

In the end, he was actual size.

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 7, 1931)

Peanuts (January 24, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (November 16-18, 1931, because if three a day is good enough for duck cartoons, it's good enough for boyzendorgs.)

Thimble Theater (August 16, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (May 7-9, 1923)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Outbursts of Everett True

:allears:

Me playing Red Dead Redemption 2, tbh

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2012 Spiderman

The Amazing Spiderman

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I like looking up things mentioned by old comics...I think that the "Milk Fund benefit" and Willard Johnson was a boxing match of Willard vs. Johnson at Yankee Stadium.
http://www.espn.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3600048

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 21, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

More Princess Planet, covering November 21st to December 5th. As McLachlan puts it "Wow. I drew Christi way too skinny and weird back in 2004."

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

The Bloop posted:

It isn't a thousand yard stare or anything, it just looks like he is vaguely contemplating a shoe, like wondering how it's laced up or something

Taken without context it's not even obvious that the object in his hands is a shoe, he might as well be working on a Lego starship. Probably partly because some sneakers don't look like shoes, but also because it's the size of his body/head.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

Alley Oop

I see that's Freddie Mercury, and I'm thinking the girl is Cyndi Lauper, but who is Oop? Adam Ant maybe?
Sometimes I wonder if looks back at these old strips being reprinted that she based on her real-life family and catches the frequent irony.

Haifisch posted:

Locher Tracy

Is that a little tiny printout?

F Minus

Accurate headline.

Macanudo

On the verge of funny, but still not funny.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

I could see her thinking she buttered up the professor to make him more inclined to giving her a decent grade--I mean it isn't anything I'd count on but I get it--but she would still have to turn something in.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Is there a point to this? Is something going to happen to this guy, or is it just a random rude guy on the plane and when they all get off that's all there is to it? Maybe he's going to have a heart attack? Why introduce the kid sitting next to Rex, too?

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Travis McElroy is also not a polygon, but his brothers were.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

*for the ghosts who's walkses

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Is there a point to this? Is something going to happen to this guy, or is it just a random rude guy on the plane and when they all get off that's all there is to it? Maybe he's going to have a heart attack? Why introduce the kid sitting next to Rex, too?

Is it just me or does this seem really familiar to anyone else? Is this a rerun? Did another strip do a similar storyline?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"This loud boorish drunk needs an immediate liver transplant if he's going to survive the next hour, and the only one on the flight with a compatible blood type is you, little Timmy!"
"Brayden."
"Whatever. May I please have your liver, little Bradley?"
"Uh--"
"Great! Stewardess, please get me a plastic knife and all the alcohol wipes you have on board while I run to the lavatory to scrub up. It's surgery time!"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That security guard may be my favorite part of this whole bit, because he's slowly realizing that he's in way over his head with all this.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Phantom better punch the guard with the ring for nice people.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

SuperKlaus posted:

Does the Military History thread know about Surgeon's Tales? I feel like HEY GAL needs to know, stat.

FWIW, I haven't posted anything there, but feel free to spread the word.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

This might be one of the most sexually charged Ballard Streets I've seen

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
You guys lucked out yesterday and missed out on the Holbrook action because a tornado knocked out my internet! However, you're unlucky now because of the double dose you're getting today!

The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens
Doesn't run on Sunday so only one for catchup

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Poil posted:

I have a weak spot for this old comic. It helps that it's a lot better than most of the trash posted of course. :)

Thanks! I'm glad someone is enjoying Sam's Strip. I like it, but I'm never sure how well it's aged.

Sam's Strip

Ye Olde Foxtrot 04/28/88

Tarzan

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Ye Olde Foxtrot 04/28/88

There's a certain adorable-ness about this specific strip, especially when compared to Zits or Foob. It's so positive? These teenagers are shy dorks and it's great.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Thanks! I'm glad someone is enjoying Sam's Strip. I like it, but I'm never sure how well it's aged.

Sam's Strip

Alphonse and Gaston! Hello, old friends!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

FrumpleOrz posted:

You guys lucked out yesterday and missed out on the Holbrook action because a tornado knocked out my internet! However, you're unlucky now because of the double dose you're getting today!

Kevin & Kell

Glad the tornado didn't eat you.

Also, wtf is this bullshit now?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

MariusLecter posted:

Glad the tornado didn't eat you.

Also, wtf is this bullshit now?

Who fuckin knows. The tree costume seems insane, even by K&K standards.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Haha it’s funny because the woman thinks she’s about to be murdered and devoured and it’ll be completely legal and it’s actually terrorism for her to defend herself

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set respects the classics.

Working Daze doesn't make sense to anyone under 30.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix needs to wash its mouth out with soap.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

How is she defining "soap opera"? Because as far as I can see there are way more than four, even if you're only counting American ones (which I assume she is).

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Tiggum posted:

How is she defining "soap opera"? Because as far as I can see there are way more than four, even if you're only counting American ones (which I assume she is).

She's talking about daytime network soap operas, and there really are just four left in the US: General Hospital, Days of Our Lives, The Young and the Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

She's talking about daytime network soap operas, and there really are just four left in the US: General Hospital, Days of Our Lives, The Young and the Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful.

I miss Passions. It's the only soap opera I really ever got into.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

howe_sam posted:

What does "network" mean in this context?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Tiggum posted:

What does "network" mean in this context?

The big-time over-the-air channels, being NBC, ABC, and CBS in the US.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

The big-time over-the-air channels, being NBC, ABC, and CBS in the US.

So if you only count these three channels and only during certain hours, there are only four soap operas? That seems pretty meaningless.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Tiggum posted:

So if you only count these three channels and only during certain hours, there are only four soap operas? That seems pretty meaningless.

I was a latchkey kid in the US in the 80s with no cable TV and nowhere to go during school breaks, and the reference made immediate sense to me. Maybe this is one of Ces’s more you-had-to-be-there jokes :shrug:

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Tiggum posted:

In the US, at least, when people bring up "Soap Operas," it's a specific style of show that gets aired by those networks in the daytime hours. It's episodes aired every weekday, usually shot cheaply on video, and have been long-running for decades. It's a style that is rarely seen outside of that time-slot and you don't see them on cable really. There are prime-time show that you could easily make argument that they're soaps in spirit but it wouldn't be what most Americans understand soap operas to be.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

If there aren't ads for soap in the breaks, it's not a soap opera :colbert:

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
random Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse

God drat it, wasn't expecting that from you, DSOTH.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Hostile V posted:

God drat it, wasn't expecting that from you, DSOTH.

Is this the first sincere use of loss.jpg in a newspaper comic strip? I can't help but feel there's been one before.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

strontium you dog.

Nekonaughey

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Strontium posted:

random Intelligent Life

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Woebin posted:

If there aren't ads for soap in the breaks, it's not a soap opera :colbert:

Proctor and Gamble produced several of them over the course of five decades.