Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

:words:

e: I just loaded up a Black Knight with all my DHSs, a heat bank, and LL+++ and ML+++s and lmao this isn't fair, it one shots almost anything with a precision strike. Kind of fragile though.

I did this exact same thing with my TDR-5SS and then the BLK once I got one. I've got a Coolant Vent pilot in there with Called Shot Mastery and it's a beast

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

:words:

The heavy is a BLK laser boat that goes for head shots every round and flatout has the most kills out of all my mechs

There have been a couple close calls on the Alliance FP's where it was taking a lot of hits and I had to eject. I'm only really limited by the fact that I haven't run into any extra DHS since the mid-game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Klyith posted:

My final take on the bulwark change: they done hosed up. Bulwark is just as necessary than it was before if not moreso, because a standard brace is useless for damage mitigation outside of cover. Vigilance, which was always well behind called shot in effectiveness before, is now poo poo on pilots that don't also have bulwark.

For a pilot without bulwark the only really viable way to reduce damage is to break range, which means they're pretty much lock in to sniper or at least mid-long type roles.

Alternately, if stability / knockdown play was still threatening then the regular brace action might be worth something. But the addition of entrenched to piloting means half the units on the field are walking around with constant 50% stability resistance. Unless you go absolutely ham on LRMs it's easier to just kill something than it is to knock them down.

It remains a mandatory pick, but the rework succeeded in doing away with the static gameplay old Bulwark encouraged as optimal.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yeah I like new Bulwark much better than old Bulwark. It's definitely not any less mandatory, but it's a little bit weaker in terms of overall damage reduction and makes you think about movement and terrain to get the most out of it instead of just picking a spot to stand in for the entire battle.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just move back and forth between the same pieces of cover now so it doesn't really matter at all to me v:v:v

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Conspiratiorist posted:

It remains a mandatory pick, but the rework succeeded in doing away with the static gameplay old Bulwark encouraged as optimal.

Voyager I posted:

Yeah I like new Bulwark much better than old Bulwark. It's definitely not any less mandatory, but it's a little bit weaker in terms of overall damage reduction and makes you think about movement and terrain to get the most out of it instead of just picking a spot to stand in for the entire battle.

Where I'm at is that IMO old bulwark was OP, but I didn't at all think it was "mandatory". I had it on 1/2 of my pilots, and there were plenty of missions where I only took 1 bulwarking guy and 3 others. It worked fine even if missions were a bit more difficult. I had to use vigilance sometimes instead of just precision shot all the time.

What brought this home was a couple missions where I took mostly non-bulwak pilots and found that I absolutely could not put them in any sort of close contact. Once they got focused on there were no good defensive options. Brace is useless, there's no good option but to break LOS -- good luck with that if you were at close range.

New bulwark may have removed the static gameplay tactics, but if the skill is now required for any pilot that isn't a dedicated sniper, IMHO it's actually made things worse!

What they needed to do was this:
pre:
              normal    bulwark
cover          20%        40%
brace/open     40%        40%
brace/cover    40%        60%

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

That looks good, actually.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Klyith posted:

Everything is available in both modes. Possibly you can't ally the taurians in story mode?

edit: spoiler if you haven't played the campaign
The spoilermech, and all the other SLDF mech variants that are in the game, are possible to acquire in Career mode from the big rewards. But you definitely won't get them as early as the story gifts them to you.

Thanks. I have played it before, in both career and story, but felt like playing again thru story mode but didn't want to miss out on sweet, sweet tech.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

So during testing some things for my custom FP, I ended up calling a DropShip down right on top of the Trg.Ack base while it was being fired on from artillery. I accidentally killed a Leopard.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I wasn't even aware that was a possibility.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
In my current game I lucked into a handful of comparatively low level missions giving me a salvage :signings::master::signings:

Instead of driving around a random collection of 50 ton mediums I went straight to 3 goddamn Orions (two Ks and a V)

:killdozer::killdozer::killdozer:

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Amechwarrior posted:

So some of the real mod wizards that can code and I are talking about a big collab project to redo the AI's routines.

It would be really cool if you could integrate the panic system into your AI rework. Right now, your AI mod + Panic System is my go to combination, but it seems to me that panic state affecting behavior and not just ejection chances makes sense.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Klyith posted:

My final take on the bulwark change: they done hosed up. Bulwark is just as necessary than it was before if not moreso, because a standard brace is useless for damage mitigation outside of cover. Vigilance, which was always well behind called shot in effectiveness before, is now poo poo on pilots that don't also have bulwark.

For a pilot without bulwark the only really viable way to reduce damage is to break range, which means they're pretty much lock in to sniper or at least mid-long type roles.

Alternately, if stability / knockdown play was still threatening then the regular brace action might be worth something. But the addition of entrenched to piloting means half the units on the field are walking around with constant 50% stability resistance. Unless you go absolutely ham on LRMs it's easier to just kill something than it is to knock them down.

I think the solution to bulwark is to leave it as it is, but make two changes:
-You must be immobile (as before)
-It activates in the open for 20%.

This could work because they removed entrenched from bulwark. This makes immobile targets vulnerable to knockdown and mobile targets vulnerable to damage. I'd also keep guarded and entrenched on brace and vigilance since you have to sacrifice either your turn or morale to use it. It also makes it so that a target can't resist knockdown and damage and move and shoot at the same time without vigilance.

I just noticed that against bulwarked targets that even though they had damage reduced, I could still launch a flight of LRMs against them and get them unstable, knock em down and core em out next turn. This wasn't possible against old bulwark.

Maybe buff evasive movement to help more mobile mechs? You could give it another pip of evasion, and/or entrenched if you jump. Maybe some kind of reduced evasion pip decay (like you lose a pip after every two shots at you instead of every one)?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I think the only way you make lights more viable is to buff their evasion so big mechs have more trouble with hitting them, AND make evasion less effective at reducing CTH of light mechs. Smaller lighter torsos can turn faster to bring their guns/missile racks/etc. to bear so there is some logic to it. It would also make sensor lock and TTS more valuable for swatting gnats so they don't just back shot you every turn.

This would probably produce follow-on consequences that might make things real lovely to actually play though.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Unrelated question: what exactly are the mechanics for called shot accuracy to hit a specific location? Does anything affect it beyond the bonuses from tactics skill & positioning to the side/back of the target?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Organ Fiend posted:

I think the solution to bulwark is to leave it as it is, but make two changes:
-You must be immobile (as before)
-It activates in the open for 20%.

This could work because they removed entrenched from bulwark.

Bulwark never had entrenched in the first place. You just thought it did because your own bulwark units didn't get knocked down much.

What was going on is that standing still dumps 2 bars of stability, while moving only gets rid of one. On average it works out to the same thing -- twice as much removed instead of half taken. Bulwarked units were possible to focus down with stab damage, but you had to know what was going on so you could do enough stab before the next activation. (Which the AI couldn't do and the player hardly ever needed because the AI didn't use bulwark properly.)

I don't want to go back to static bulwark, if only because the AI was truly bad with it and I don't see that changing. I do think stability needs to be revisited -- it's become a thing that the player is virtually immune to in the mid-late game because you kinda need ++ weapons to do enough stab damage now.

Amechwarrior posted:

So during testing some things for my custom FP, I ended up calling a DropShip down right on top of the Trg.Ack base while it was being fired on from artillery. I accidentally killed a Leopard.

Actually kinda mad that I'm now spoiled on this, because that would be a loving amazing surprise to put in a custom mission!

I was thinking of writing a PM about more AI stuff, but I see you don't have plat. Whats an email address where I can sent you a plat cert for the lowtax spine fund?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Klyith posted:

Bulwark never had entrenched in the first place. You just thought it did because your own bulwark units didn't get knocked down much.

Goddammit, we already went through this once. Yes it loving did, I even fired up 1.2 to test it and be sure. It was a bug in Beta that they left in. Stop saying poo poo that's provably false.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Q_res posted:

Goddammit, we already went through this once. Yes it loving did, I even fired up 1.2 to test it and be sure. It was a bug in Beta that they left in. Stop saying poo poo that's provably false.

Well gently caress me, I talked about this months ago and didn't get corrected back then. (I believe you, but this is absolutely sure that it's getting the reduction, not just an indicator?)

Jesus christ if they went through the whole redesign cycle when that was an unfixed bug that was there since beta, that's beyond dumb.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Leaving evasion on instead of allowing its removal is a non-starter because there's lots of light and medium AI mechs and if you had no better than a 40% hit chance all game against them the rage quitting could be heard from orbit. Since you're usually outnumbered by AI and their pilots level up as missions get harder, your evasive mechs are going to get hit pretty frequently in more difficult missions and they'll lose evasion and armor very rapidly. That would be less true if AI pilots stayed average all game: you'll sometimes see a tough vehicle with a poor pilot miss even a heavy mech with lots of evasion, and dealing with vehicles is something to keep mediums useful all game.

I suppose one option would be to say that instead of each attack taking a pip of evasion, that attacks subtract incrementally: 4 pips might be 400 points of evasion, and that ML miss takes off 20, leaving you with 3 pips and 380 points. Pilot skill might improve your points-per-pip and make it harder to reduce your mech's evasion. If you subtract based on volume of fire, then as the game advanced, your heavier mechs will keep up with increasing AI pilot skill between their improved accuracy and their larger number of weapons. Then again, the same remains true on the other side, and moreso.

I think having most AI pilots be average in skill at best is the preferable way to improve evasion. Reserve high gunnery skill for named foes, elites, maybe one or two lance leaders, and your smaller mechs would be harder to hit (though still easy enough to kill). Heck, if there were more variation in pilot quality instead of 8+ mechs all piloted by AI with 8+ in at least two skills, you might do things like focusing fire on the lance leader even though one of the other mechs is heavier, simply because he can hit accurately while the 3/3/3/3 pilot in the Stalker is missing more than half the time.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

sean10mm posted:

In my current game I lucked into a handful of comparatively low level missions giving me a salvage :signings::master::signings:

Instead of driving around a random collection of 50 ton mediums I went straight to 3 goddamn Orions (two Ks and a V)

:killdozer::killdozer::killdozer:

My first Career mode game I managed to go from 3*mediums+1 light to having 2 Stalkers thanks to a fat bank account and some really lucky store parts availability RNG.

It kinda broke the game.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

sean10mm posted:

Unrelated question: what exactly are the mechanics for called shot accuracy to hit a specific location? Does anything affect it beyond the bonuses from tactics skill & positioning to the side/back of the target?

There's a little more to it, but I'll post the full explanation for clarity's sake.

The normal process is making a to-hit roll on a weapon (which is a can of worms of its own), then if successful checks the relevant table (Front/Side/Rear/Prone) to determine which location will take the damage.

Now, on a Called Shot, the weight of the selected location is doubled, making it more likely while the others are less. For example, shooting from the left flank these are the location values:

Head: 1
Center Torso: 4
Left Torso: 28
Left Arm: 28
Left Leg: 28

You'd normally have a 28/89 (31.46%) chance to hit the Left Leg when firing, but a Called Shot turns the math into 56/117 (47.86%), vastly improving the odds.

Called Shot Bonus and Called Shot Mastery bump this modifier up to x4.8 and x18, respectively. Here's the full table for mechs (vehicles have their own table), shamelessly stolen from GameFAQs:

The other relevant mechanic that affects Called Shots is that on multiple-shot weapons such as SRMs, each successful hit halves the weight of the location for the remainder of the salvo until its down to its base weight value (shots coming from the same weapon only - doesn't affect other weapons fired at the same time). This makes lasers comparatively better at applying damage to a called shot location, though in the case of head hunting, SRMs and MGs are better at inflicting an injury due to rolling multiple times. While on that tangent, LRMs are a special case where only the very first missile can inflict injuries.

Lastly, destroyed hit locations have no effect on this calculation: if a shot rolls to land on a destroyed arm or leg, the hit is instead applied to the relevant side torso, and if that side torso is destroyed, then it's applied to the CT instead. Full damage is transferred from hits that destroy locations, too, so if for example you blew up an arm with an AC20, any excess will spill over to the ST. I have no idea if this spill-over damage rolls for criticals, though.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
So I finally got around to completing The Steel Beast, and I need to say something.

I need to say that this is the worst 'mech I've ever seen in my life. It is completely loving pointless in every possible way even without accounting for the fact that it presumably is slower than it's supposed to be the way all the CRB-27s are without fixing the files. It makes no sense even as a Solaris VII chassis. It's like someone decided to randomly generate what equipment it'd end up with and then also got rid of any good ideas.

And you know what? Even if I will never use it, and I have to keep it in my active bays to avoid the store bug, it's also loving hilarious that it's this bad. I love it. It's a work of art. It completely fits the utter feckless absurdity of its pilot. Somehow managing to give the player a complete shitbox as a flashpoint reward manages to be actual genius storytelling.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fraction Jackson posted:

So I finally got around to completing The Steel Beast, and I need to say something.

I need to say that this is the worst 'mech I've ever seen in my life. It is completely loving pointless in every possible way even without accounting for the fact that it presumably is slower than it's supposed to be the way all the CRB-27s are without fixing the files. It makes no sense even as a Solaris VII chassis. It's like someone decided to randomly generate what equipment it'd end up with and then also got rid of any good ideas.

And you know what? Even if I will never use it, and I have to keep it in my active bays to avoid the store bug, it's also loving hilarious that it's this bad. I love it. It's a work of art. It completely fits the utter feckless absurdity of its pilot. Somehow managing to give the player a complete shitbox as a flashpoint reward manages to be actual genius storytelling.

On the dev lance fight in that one Flashpoint I brought it along, exactly as you get it, because I had nothing else to really use and it spent the entire time with a pilot badly shooting the ac5 and getting blown to bits by the dev Centurion. In retrospect, I don't know what I expected, considering I also blew it to bits with a Centurion. :haw:

That lance fight owns btw, there should be way more of that in the game. More lovely variants too. I don't like a lot of what RT does but once this career mode run's over I'll probably install it for the sheer variety of bullshit :v:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Fraction Jackson posted:

Yeah but counterpoint...

BIG

STEEL

CLAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

RBA Starblade posted:

That lance fight owns btw, there should be way more of that in the game. More lovely variants too. I don't like a lot of what RT does but once this career mode run's over I'll probably install it for the sheer variety of bullshit :v:

It's probably a lot of bespoke work, but I would love to see more ludicrous periphery-idiot hot garbage, especially if it's accompanied by Yang trying to figure out What/How/Why the gently caress happened.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LeSquide posted:

It's probably a lot of bespoke work, but I would love to see more ludicrous periphery-idiot hot garbage, especially if it's accompanied by Yang trying to figure out What/How/Why the gently caress happened.

I also like the Extremely Good Lostech Jagermech whose extremely valuable gauss rifles you blow off in one shot because lol it's still a jagermech

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Has anyone else been having sound problems since 1.3? Mine is doing a weird thing where the sound gradually cuts out: first the music track ends, then there's no V/O, then weapons are the only thing that plays sound, and then even those start getting weird and chopped.

No errors in the log. I think all the times it's happened were on jungle maps -- I've been playing more of those since thye're new -- and I kinda wonder if the engine is having trouble with those specifically. There's all sorts of weird ambient sounds constantly playing looping on that map.

Gonna revert audioconstants back to default just to be sure.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

LeSquide posted:

Lol play roguetech, really.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Unormal posted:

In broad strokes, what does it change besides "more stuff to cram into your mechs"? I'm close to finishing the campaign and was thinking about using it to Career mode.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Sky Shadowing posted:

Yeah but counterpoint...

BIG

STEEL

CLAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Unormal posted:

These go together. Beaglerush did the Flashpoint during his RT run. The BSC he salvaged came with a ton of evasion mods and melee weapons. Then he just kept salvaging more melee gear

It one punched a pristine Stalker

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Melee stuff in RT basically flips from total-junk to incredibly-overpowered as soon as you get the stuff to build a mech around it.

It's absolutely atrocious from a game design perspective, and it's not especially fun after the first couple of times you use it. But the first time you actually get to take it out is pretty amazing.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

A long time ago in this thread, someone posted a list of changes they made to things like visibility ranges, line-of-sight, and evasion. Does anybody have a list of those changes, or know roughly what date they were posted so I can try to find them myself?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

One thing I'm having trouble finding a clear answer on: are the maximum weapon ranges listed in the game a hard cutoff, or can you shoot beyond them some amount if you have weapons with accuracy bonuses and/or a TTS for that kind of weapon?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Hard cutoff.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm pretty sure it's a hard cutoff and TTS add +5% to hit per +1 accuracy.

Speaking of which I have a TTS that adds +3 to energy weapons and I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what to slap it onto, if at all. Everyone's already hitting 80%+, even the lovely newbies, and there's no room on the Black Knight or PPCatapult really (though the BK has DHS and Heat Banks and poo poo so).

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a hard cutoff and TTS add +5% to hit per +1 accuracy.

Speaking of which I have a TTS that adds +3 to energy weapons and I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what to slap it onto, if at all. Everyone's already hitting 80%+, even the lovely newbies, and there's no room on the Black Knight or PPCatapult really (though the BK has DHS and Heat Banks and poo poo so).

I put it on an assault mech with PPCs if I have some tonnage left after maxing everything else out. That's about it. Even 75T heavies don't have the free tonnage to "waste" on it that isn't better spent on just about anything else (armor, heat sinks, weapons, ammo...)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I should have mentioned that particular one is 4 tons. 1 or 2 sure, I can put that somewhere, but goddamn

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

In broad strokes, what does it change besides "more stuff to cram into your mechs"? I'm close to finishing the campaign and was thinking about using it to Career mode.

Lots more stuff (clantech, endo steel, targeting comps, masc, the whole battletech library). Difficulty scaling by default to your loot, so a ramping challenge. Refactors to essentially every system, melee is stronger, evasion pips are permanent, base to hit is lower, vehicles are a threat, armor takes time to repair, you get the whole inner sphere map, etc.

You get a lot of toys but the base game is quite a bit more brutal. It's true there's plenty of overpowered junk, but it's rare, expensive, and always on the line when you field it. It's quite a bit more engaging as a game, imo.

The base game's difficulty is trivial and the content feels completely flat by comparison.

It used to have some severe loading time issues but with the most recent patch even those are tolerable now.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 22, 2019

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Derp

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just from what I've seen from Beaglerush RT actually looks even easier. The AI doesn't know what it's doing at all. At one point his squad of mediums was dunking on an entire assault lance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Just from what I've seen from Beaglerush RT actually looks even easier. The AI doesn't know what it's doing at all. At one point his squad of mediums was dunking on an entire assault lance.

Mechs are more fragile because engine crits can take them out, they aren't just hp bags. Evasion is also much more powerful, so you can definitely take a squad of assaults with a squad of well equipped mediums.

Assaults being strictly better than mediums is, frankly, and issue with the game and it's refreshing to play in an environment where it isn't strictly true.