Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
"ran boss X 56 times to get my skill" is not a big problem :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Blue mage was a mistake.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Clarste posted:

I mean, Square-Enix's goal is to get people to keep playing, regardless of whether they're enjoying themselves, so in that sense it kinda worked? If a bunch of people came back to try out the new weird class, then maybe some of them will stick around for other stuff? Seems like a plan, maybe.

People who are continuously subscribing don't matter anyway, as long as you're not actively repelling them every patch.

It stops working really fast if it’s not fun.

I know I’m not resubscribing over a limited job in the future, for instance.

Failboattootoot posted:

Also, and maybe I am just bad, but I am mustering like 230 dps with it which is terrible.

I’m pretty sure BLU is actually just pretty terrible performance-wise, outside of a few situationally horribly broken skills.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Currently the only reason I'm even playing BLU is to do the Masked Carnivale which is basically the only motivator to do ANYTHING with that class save for I guess filling in a checklist of who gives a gently caress spells, like 4 of which I ever use and two of them were given to me for free by the game for just playing blue mage.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Blue Mage is amazing because I've made nearly five million gil and counting over the last week by making and selling HQ level 50 caster gear for horrifically inflated prices.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Blue mage rules because of it's victory emote.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I like BLU but so much of it seems so half baked. It feels like Yoshi P was too stubborn on his vision that the job can't be standard and got fed up of players demanding it so he just said gently caress it and gave the reigns to Mr. Atma of all people. Of course the job was going to be doomed to dogshit RNG if you let someone like him have his way.

I have no doubt that numbers could be buffed and things tweaked to strengthen BLU and make it way more solo capable. Addressing the issues with the spell book being more than half dungeons and trials as well as the abysmal RNG will way harder though since they all seem to have a hard on for terrible RNG bullshit and put Mr. Atma the King Shitter of RNG in charge of the job.

The strange thing is that the learn rates for most of the stuff really isn't that bad except for the primal spells. Dunno why they felt like the primal spells should be so hard to learn.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Magil Zeal posted:

The strange thing is that the learn rates for most of the stuff really isn't that bad except for the primal spells. Dunno why they felt like the primal spells should be so hard to learn.

"Uh oh, all the content for our new highly promoted feature can be finished in one or two days.............uh make the drop rates garbage so we can pad it out a bit"

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Magil Zeal posted:

It took me 25 tries to get mind blast.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Note Block posted:

That's pretty unlucky, but it's also a pretty small fraction of the amount of primal kills I've gotten over the past three days.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

orcane posted:

The problem is that a primarily solo job shouldn't be having to do group content (or at least, not as much of it). Like yeah, the learn rate is stupid, but not as dumb as having to be in there to begin with.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Glagha posted:

Currently the only reason I'm even playing BLU is to do the Masked Carnivale which is basically the only motivator to do ANYTHING with that class save for I guess filling in a checklist of who gives a gently caress spells, like 4 of which I ever use and two of them were given to me for free by the game for just playing blue mage.

But you're playing it. And so are lots of other people. Whoops, turns out that means it's a success. Nobody at Square will ask or care why you're playing it. See also: Eureka. Hate playing content is the exact same as playing content.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
The way I see it, BLU has potential, but they need to do one of two things with it: A) make it a normal job like I suspect it was at some point during development (this one is absolutely never going to happen), B) buff it to high heaven. Just go all out in letting it solo the content it can actually enter. All of ARR will be soloable come 5.0 (except maybe T8S?), and the vast majority of HW content will be soloable by 5.5. So just cut loose, stop caring about balance in 4/5 year old content.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Pretty sure the LoV area didn't even last a day before it emptied out so BLU already cleared that incredibly low bar.

As an aside, I hope if BST or PUP gets added as the next limited job it'd let the devs gently caress around with those job's pet AI without the risk of screwing up SMNs and SCHs. If they do something good maybe it'll even find its way to the actual pet jobs.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I tried to join parties for farming Mind Blast, but pubbies are brain-dead and don't know how to speedrun the dungeon. So I ended up just grinding BLU to 50, gearing up with Augmented Ironworks, and then soloing the dungeon over and over until I got it. It probably took about 20 runs, 5-6 minutes per run.

I wish I could do the same with Aurum Vale but the first boss is a little too tough to solo reliably, even fully geared at 50. I'll have to make parties to try and farm it and set a required ilvl.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

"Uh oh, all the content for our new highly promoted feature can be finished in one or two days.............uh make the drop rates garbage so we can pad it out a bit"

At least someone understands mmo design

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Note Block posted:

Not an empty quote.

Also Aurum Vale is really miserable with an all BLU party, it was every worst dps pub party every time.

Rastan Beeza fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 22, 2019

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
It's even worse, sadly. Normally Coincounter is good for a nearly guaranteed laugh as he paints his club with some poor sprout, but most BLU players I've seen actually dodge his super spin.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rastan Beeza posted:

Not an empty quote.

Also Aurum Vale is really miserable with an all BLU party, it was every worst dps pub party every time.

Really? I was in a party of 3 BLU undersizing the place and we just Ram’s/Dragon’s Voiced the place to hell and it was great.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I couldn't imagine having Ram/Dragon's voice for Aurum because that would have required running Cutter's Cry and gently caress that noise.

I got my mind blast on my first run with a full BLU team - I'm glad I did because if it took me 25 runs I probably would have not seen BLU through to 50 or whatever.

Requiring spells for quests despite the spells going on to have zero relevence to the quest is kinda silly.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Yoshida said this wouldn't happen....

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Imagine not playing content just cause it's bad

This post made by Eureka Gang

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
This game sure does look pretty on a new video card after you’ve been playing it on a toaster for years.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Mordiceius posted:

This game sure does look pretty on a new video card after you’ve been playing it on a toaster for years.

This. I recently upgraded from a 2g videocard from a decade ago to a 1070 6g and being able to run the new raids on max settings with no dropped frames is just the best.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Oxyclean posted:

I couldn't imagine having Ram/Dragon's voice for Aurum because that would have required running Cutter's Cry and gently caress that noise.

Or you could just do the Chimera trial for the ARR relic. :v:

Vitamean posted:

Yoshida said this wouldn't happen....

It was obviously going to happen. It happened Day 1 even!

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Or the Go Go Gorgimera FATE in between attempts for Loom.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I ran cutter's cry so I could spend less time mindlessly grinding exp later

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Or you could just do the Chimera trial for the ARR relic. :v:

It was obviously going to happen. It happened Day 1 even!

This is Corrosive Projection cyber bullying all over again

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Oxyclean posted:

I got my mind blast on my first run with a full BLU team - I'm glad I did because if it took me 25 runs I probably would have not seen BLU through to 50 or whatever.

Requiring spells for quests despite the spells going on to have zero relevence to the quest is kinda silly.

I spammed Cutter’s Cry with two other BLU and it was piss easy. Plainscracker/Peculiar Light for the first couple rooms, Acorn Bomb to skip the oasis rooms, tail screw and then kill the bosses with a fish. I think we cleared the place in six or eight minutes with three people?

Doing poo poo like that was a lot of fun for me. Bringing skills together like that is the BLU experience.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I guess I should try to get Tail Screw before I keep trying to go after other skills. It sounds really useful.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
I rejoined because BLU but also because I missed tarus. So instead of playing BLU I'm going through the staggering amount of story I missed so I can dick around with Astrologian.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

orcane posted:

This is the same community who seems to think repetitively doing one thing over and over again is no problem and people who do have issues with it "can't handle it", as if its a difficulty issue.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Repetition is the core mechanic of the MMO genre. The thing you're expected to repeat should be fun though.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

DizzyBum posted:

I guess I should try to get Tail Screw before I keep trying to go after other skills. It sounds really useful.

You can get it from the scorpions in the river just outside of Ala Ganha (or however you spell it). Just have a friend beat one up for you and save yourself the trouble of loading into Sastasha HM eight times.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Of course, if you're trying to complete the whole spellbook, you have to do Sastasha HM anyway.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Glass Dance looks so cool, pun unintended.

Now to grind Ifrit until I get Eruption. And then I can look forward to grinding Seiryu EX until I get his dog and Tamamo.

Yaaay, RNG grinding. :negative:

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Well, you've decided to do the things, so surely you must get something out of that?

It is a very neat looking skill, to be sure.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Magil Zeal posted:

That's pretty unlucky, but it's also a pretty small fraction of the amount of primal kills I've gotten over the past three days.

You don’t need the primals to finish the quests. You need mind blast. It also takes a lot long to do than most of the primals. RNG for blue mage sucks butt for all the spells, not just primals.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

I must have been so lucky because I got all the BLU spells on like my third try at most, the longest was Level 5 Petrify from Haukke Manor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Is Tam Tara really the only place to get Mind Blast? I could swear there were Piscodemons somewhere else in the game.