Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

best is when you hit that line just as the All-Out attack's splash screen pops up
I found that if you got the ambush off and were smooth in your menuing to exploit weaknesses and didn't let the enemies get a turn, this happened much more often than it didn't.

I suspect whoever was in charge of tuning the random encounters of wizardry.

Tales of Woe posted:

the paper mario ones are like 2 seconds long
And the one for defending is extremely simple, a single button press at the right time, and you don't have an entire party to go through to do individualized defense minigames QTEs.

In fact you could fairly easily play Paper Mario Thousand Year Door ignoring that you can do a timed defense trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Both No More Heroes also had outstanding, amazing music
Like NMH and Earthbound are the Gallants to yiikes' mega Goofus in such a tremendous way it's not even funny

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

the music is also terrible, and I have no idea why people keep saying it's a good point in the game's favor.

it has some good songs, but the soundtrack is uneven and discordant because it's made up of guest artists contributing music to the overall product

that sort of thing might fly with homestuck, less so when you have music playing at all times

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

it has some good songs, but the soundtrack is uneven and discordant because it's made up of guest artists contributing music to the overall product

that sort of thing might fly with homestuck, less so when you have music playing at all times
Based on what I've heard it also has several pretty loving lovely songs.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

wafflemoose posted:

Yikes, that combat video. Yeah that does seem excessive. Definitely gonna pass then.

if i can deny even one sale of yiik then I'll know my sacrifice was worth it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zereth posted:

Based on what I've heard it also has several pretty loving lovely songs.

if you mean like the one playing during LEMONADE then yeah, it's trying to copy that psychedelic random-horns-tooting sound that you'd get in some of Earthbound's battle themes but those fights usually didn't drag on for fifteen god damned minutes

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Remember you have to do a minigame for every action including the enemies. Have fun when the enemies start having AoE attacks and you have to do a timing minigame for everyone.
The more you describe this the more I just remember this.

EDIT: Woops, shoulda paid more attention.

Morpheus posted:

Yiik does not have Paper-Mario-style combat. It has Sonic Brotherhood-style combat, but somehow worse, and that is a game with terrible, slow, boring combat.

HGH fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 22, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cephas posted:

I think new sincerity works if it's about exploring what makes a human being or a society good and lovable while staring unflinchingly at the things that put that goodness in jeopardy. When Wallace talks about it, I think the idea of new sincerity has more to do with a sense of ethics than a sense of aesthetics. It's about trying to break away from aesthetics that are cool and are safe in their emptiness of meaning, and about trying to honestly talk about troubles and things that matter. It's a pretty far cry from the hollow "more fun, more awesome" definition.

The clearest example I can think of for an artist who makes new sincerity work is Rebecca Sugar, whose stated artistic mission with Steven Universe is to instill in children the value that being kind to the people around you is strength and that healthily exploring your feelings is nothing short of a moral imperative.

My takeaway from the book was that (spoilers for a paul auster novel in the RPG thread) the first two stories were written by the protagonist of the third story, who has a deep flaw in his personality that prevents him from developing a sense of self-esteem or a sense of a worthwhile identity. The first two stories are about deciding to transform yourself into someone else at a stranger's request, and occupying a limited range of experiences as that person you've decided to become, presumably because you didn't value your life or your identity before that point. In the third story, the protagonist has a single, offhanded line where he says that he wrote the first two stories. He has a deep fixation on his childhood friend, whom he seems to view as a much more meaningful person than he is.

It's been a while since I read it, so I'm sure I'm forgetting some important details. I guess with MGS2 I can see a basic similarity with the New York Trilogy in how Raiden, who lacks much of a sense of self ("doesn't have a single poster in his bedroom"; traumatized child soldier) and ends up taking a strange mission that tries to transform him into Solid Snake.

Wow, thanks for this. If I read it again I gotta keep this in mind and maybe help give context to all the weirdness.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

HGH posted:

The more you describe this the more I just remember this.

EDIT: Woops, shoulda paid more attention.
Jesus, minute and a half for one round.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
So for Wild Arms 3, is there some kinda tip system that lets me know where to go if I get stuck? The other day I quit immediately after it told me where to go and forgot by the time I started again, and none of the NPCs around had any tips. Ended up wandering aimlessly in a completely irrelevant area until I looked up a guide. It's written with weird translations of the Japanese names for things so it's not a huge deal spoiler-wise, but it would be nice if I could just stay in the game if this comes up again.

I beat Chapter 1 and saw that there's four chapters in the game. I'm not actually a quarter of the way through already, am I?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
As far as I know, there's no tip system to tell you where you should go.

And Chapters 2 and 3 are way longer because side stuff starts opening up.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
itt post about things you like, sincerely

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the 'new sincerity' thing just reminds me of

https://twitter.com/xoxogossipgita/status/1079107732827967489

if you constantly fetishize 'hope' and 'sincerity' then you create a world and a scenario in which any criticism and any distrust is bad and the result of a bad person

im 100% for the take that the internet and people in general are way too cynical and there's this weird cult of cynicism going on where a lot of people seem to think criticism is somehow more 'intelligent' than praise, but there's a difference between giving people an inroad to just, engaging with something as it is, and creating a groupthink where praise is somehow valued above criticism. criticism, distrust, and negativity can be sincere too. the hope should be for people to engage with things honestly and give them an honest chance, and be straightforward about their criticisms and praise instead of coaching it in memes and groupthink. it's not like you can't criticize marvel movies legitimately just because cinemasins sucks, as an example.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh that tweet got deleted, apparently because its illegal for a kotaku writer to say a thing that's true

the tweet said 'if you create a community that values nothing but 'hope,' 'sincerity,' and 'kindness,' you're opening yourself up to grifters and predators.'

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean yeah that’s literally what cults are.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I sincerely like and dislike things. Often the same thing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Looper posted:

ribbit king is a cool game. its mechanics are kinda janky and the ai doesn't know how to play with that nearly as much as the player can but its low difficulty and simple visual style mixed with its cute sense of humor makes it a very relaxing game to me

soul nomad is a cool srpg and the talk of rear end in a top hat main characters actually reminded me i should play more of it cause i'm just getting into the really cool parts of gig's development

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The opposite of sincerity isn't criticism it's insincerity

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

klapman posted:

So for Wild Arms 3, is there some kinda tip system that lets me know where to go if I get stuck? The other day I quit immediately after it told me where to go and forgot by the time I started again, and none of the NPCs around had any tips.
Yeah sadly I don't think there's a recap feature that tells you where to go if you forget, which kinda sucks considering how fire and forget it is as a game. And games before WA3 had that, like Symphonia. If I was gonna add one thing to it, that'd be it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean yeah that’s literally what cults are.
thats extremely harsh on kotaku

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

The opposite of sincerity isn't criticism it's insincerity

Yeah that's my point I'm saying a lot of these people miss that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I read that description of New Sincerity earlier and thought it was the ravings of one lone, pretentious dude. I didn't realize it was some spreading pseudo-movement or meme cult.

Weird.

A lot of Japanese media I see in anime and video games is built on this "we must always have hope!" message, though. The world is terrible, people are cruel, life is meaningless and full of suffering, but you have to soldier on anyway because....uh..... (Don't think about that part) Just have hope!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
uh

i think that's just not being depressed

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well I mean that’s more a shonen thing and shonen are aimed at kids so it’s not exactly shocking they don’t go full bleak.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean

even bleak stories can have messages about holding on through hosed up tragedy and not letting it consume you whole

that's not exactly. a weird or bad thing

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i mean

even bleak stories can have messages about holding on through hosed up tragedy and not letting it consume you whole

That’s fair

al-azad
May 28, 2009

klapman posted:

So for Wild Arms 3, is there some kinda tip system that lets me know where to go if I get stuck? The other day I quit immediately after it told me where to go and forgot by the time I started again, and none of the NPCs around had any tips. Ended up wandering aimlessly in a completely irrelevant area until I looked up a guide. It's written with weird translations of the Japanese names for things so it's not a huge deal spoiler-wise, but it would be nice if I could just stay in the game if this comes up again.

I beat Chapter 1 and saw that there's four chapters in the game. I'm not actually a quarter of the way through already, am I?

Wild Arms 3 is framed exactly like an anime which means Act 1 is the super trim 13 episode pilot season, Acts 2 and 3 explores itself at a slower pace as the narrative weaves in and out until it climaxes in an explosive finale, and then Act 4 is the final episode and nobody talks about the final episode.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

A lot of Japanese media I see in anime and video games is built on this "we must always have hope!" message, though. The world is terrible, people are cruel, life is meaningless and full of suffering, but you have to soldier on anyway because....uh..... (Don't think about that part) Just have hope!
thats because you're playing games for children

and also usually the reason those games offer is because you have people who love you and want to be with you, which isnt a bad message honestly. you shouldnt live entirely for other people's sake but friends and people you care about are a large part of getting out of those kinds of funks

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

Act 4 is the final episode and nobody talks about the final episode.

weird meme considering how few shows i can think of that this applies to

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Looper posted:

So I don't like how they handled the Bowser's Inside Story remake, a lot of it is due to how unoptimized it feels especially the Giant Bowser battles and they didn't really improve the side game they included in these remakes. That being said I like the Bowser Jr. story a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xyz97SYPl4

"My tears make the perfect seasoning..." :smith:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I guess I'm wired backwards cause I always saw these definitions as adjusting a past genre to fit whatever popular piece of artwork bucked the trend. It's kind like a tautology to me to explore future ideas within the new concept, kind of like how everyone talked about using the ideas from MGS2. When I get into conversations with people trying to fit a game to the terminology or argue why it is or isn't, I guess I just lose interest because it misses the point in my mind.

Then again maybe the complexities are lost on me!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
i like this track https://andrewallanson.bandcamp.com/track/break-away-michaels-theme specially the little glitch music bits

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Endorph posted:

thats because you're playing games for children

and also usually the reason those games offer is because you have people who love you and want to be with you, which isnt a bad message honestly. you shouldnt live entirely for other people's sake but friends and people you care about are a large part of getting out of those kinds of funks

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I mean that’s more a shonen thing and shonen are aimed at kids so it’s not exactly shocking they don’t go full bleak.

I just think that you have to be given a reason to care. If life is so terrible, why care about it? If the world is so meaningless, why fight for it?

Because of the Netflix stuff I've been thinking back to Evngelion and Shinji would have been better off in Instrumentality. His life is literally suffering and all he gets by having hope and continuing to live is coming back to a post-apocalyptic wasteland with Asuka.

Like, why is this a triumph? How is Shinji or anyone going to be happier now? He's just gonna starve to death in a couple weeks or something. (assuming that ending is perfectly literal and not metaphorical or some poo poo)

The anime is relentlessly pound you in the face miserable and then EOE takes it up to stab you in the face levels of misery but in the end saying "life is still worth all the endless agony and nothing can be better."

I don't get it.

And yeah, if we go the Persona or SMTIVA route or something, friends and loved ones are a great way to deal with life's unhappiness. Although Eva even kinda hosed that up and overemphasized how relationships hurt everybody involved just as much if not more than they help. Eh, I always get very personally invested in a work of fiction so thinking about NGE got me feeling cynical.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Like, why is this a triumph? How is Shinji or anyone going to be happier now? He's just gonna starve to death in a couple weeks or something. (assuming that ending is perfectly literal and not metaphorical or some poo poo)
if a literal reading makes no sense thats probably because it isnt meant to be literal

also evangelion was literally made while the director was battling depression. death of the author and all but the entire story being an extended, messy metaphor for how depression makes you lash out and abuse the people around you and how it makes you feel like the entire world is trying to beat you down but you still have to live through that, feels, iunno, pretty purposeful. or, well, 'purposeful' isnt the right word since i doubt a lot of its messiness was intentional, but definitely 'not accidental.'

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

weird meme considering how few shows i can think of that this applies to

The first thing that comes to mind is the original Gundam where everything up to Act 4 is a realistic war drama then suddenly psychic magic is introduced and the samurai feudal villains declare themselves the Fourth Reich before murdering each other in the most shocking and violent moments of the series. Sometimes it occurs when an anime is based on a manga but they go a different direction like Excel Saga, but I always think of original animation where they don't know if they'll get a sequel and they can't order new episodes so wrap everything up as quickly as possible in this final episode.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

NGE would have been a hundred times more watchable if King Dedede was in the cast.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I don't know why people said Natural Doctrine is hard, it seems pretty simple to me. The story is pretty generic but at least the combat is interesting

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Endorph posted:

the 'new sincerity' thing just reminds me of

https://twitter.com/xoxogossipgita/status/1079107732827967489

if you constantly fetishize 'hope' and 'sincerity' then you create a world and a scenario in which any criticism and any distrust is bad and the result of a bad person

im 100% for the take that the internet and people in general are way too cynical and there's this weird cult of cynicism going on where a lot of people seem to think criticism is somehow more 'intelligent' than praise, but there's a difference between giving people an inroad to just, engaging with something as it is, and creating a groupthink where praise is somehow valued above criticism. criticism, distrust, and negativity can be sincere too. the hope should be for people to engage with things honestly and give them an honest chance, and be straightforward about their criticisms and praise instead of coaching it in memes and groupthink. it's not like you can't criticize marvel movies legitimately just because cinemasins sucks, as an example.

This is what I was trying to say earlier but you said it way better lol.

Ultimately new sincerity isn't even that sincere. Its just a performative counter-movement to the cult of cynicism you describe. There really isn't no core to it, its only about how you engage with things, not asking questions about why you enjoy something, or bigger questions about media at large.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Looper posted:

Dawn of Mana is an incredibly flawed game but also one where the core mechanic is throwing crap at monsters to scare the poo poo out of them long enough to murder them and I love it.

And also they take the gentle tree character that showed up in Legend of Mana and make him possessed for a boss fight so a tree is talking poo poo at you while trying to beat his rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Looper posted:

phantasy star 4 has the best boss fights i've ever seen in an rpg. none of them are mechanically complex, but the bosses dominate the screen in a way no one else has caught up with since.

even Zio, who's one of the first major antagonists and for all intents and purposes is just a guy (in a universe where most bosses are manifestations of chaos and evil), has one of the sickest boss arenas ever