Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

qirex posted:

it would be better to sell the cars cheap to people in the community and let them do stuff

what the gently caress is anybody going to do with old train cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

BMan posted:

probably safer to throw raves in them than Ghost Ship was

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

qirex posted:

it would be better to sell the cars cheap to people in the community and let them do stuff

i'm sure that will work out just fine

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

BMan posted:

playground spaceship/submarine

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
architects get reigned in by civil engineers with (theoretical) professional license certifications

techbubel fantasies get reigned in by ????????

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

dragon enthusiast posted:

architects get reigned in by civil engineers with (theoretical) professional license certifications

techbubel fantasies get reigned in by ????????

Architects have professional licenses too

Techbubble only gets reeled in by lawsuits after the facade drops

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BMan posted:

https://twitter.com/SFBART/status/1081364021670862848

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

qirex posted:

there's one cable car house and one train car diner left in sf, the diner will be gone in the next year or two

the bart thing is cute but it's dumb because the amount of work needed to turn those into housing is insane. it would be better to sell the cars cheap to people in the community and let them do stuff

the particular one i was thinking of is in upstate new york and was parked there when they were tearing up the railroad and replacing it with highway so it dates from the 50's or 60's. the diner is still running fine afaik :shrug:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
i have no idea what would go into stripping subway cars of any toxic materials, but with that being said if they can make them safe enough for people then they'd be better off turning them into artificial reefs

they wouldn't make them safe enough for people lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
subway cars already contain people all day every day

i imagine the only "toxic materials" are brake dust / fluids / lubricants in the trucks under the car

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

i have no idea what would go into stripping subway cars of any toxic materials, but with that being said if they can make them safe enough for people then they'd be better off turning them into artificial reefs

they wouldn't make them safe enough for people lol

idk man, the last time we tried using assumed-safe garbage as artificial reefs it killed everything

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
they don't contain any specific person for more than at worst an hour or two, at least not the ones who intend on living healthily

they would also have to be made to conform to residential building codes, right? compliant electric and gas, compliant water and sewer, emergency egress (and remove emergency features that only make sense for trains like pop-out windows). change the remaining windows to double pane. also I'm guessing that bare sheet metal is not an acceptable material for an inhabited space so you'll have to cover up the whole interior with something

also can't really tell from the diagram- are the cars load bearing? can they do that without modification or will they need internal reinforcement?

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 22, 2019

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Shame Boy posted:

idk man, the last time we tried using assumed-safe garbage as artificial reefs it killed everything

jesus

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the only advantage a train car has over living in a shipping container is that it's already got windows

no insulation, no heating, no ventilation, no electricity, no plumbing, useless doors

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

the only advantage a train car has over living in a shipping container is that it's already got windows

no insulation, no heating, no ventilation, no electricity, no plumbing, useless doors

train cars are heated and ventilated already. insulation is poor but not non-existent

train cars as housing are really stupid but come on anything is better than a shipping container

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the heater/AC would probably have to be modified or replaced to run on household current anyway

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shame Boy posted:

if you click through to your own article it indicates that it wasn't the use of tires, it was the mounting system

the mounts failed almost immediately, tires are just a loose pile on the seafloor, drifting around. not ideal habitats for, well, anything

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

haveblue posted:

the heater/AC would probably have to be modified or replaced to run on household current anyway

they are probably 120 or 240 just like household units for practical reasons

cheaper to install one or transformers inside the car than to source special versions of every single electrical device to run at medium/high voltage

i'd still rather not pay the cost of heating/cooling a metal box with minimal insulation to live in it jesus

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

not that long ago some local schools and parks decided to use shredded tires instead of mulch on the playgrounds because they thought it would be both eco friendly (recycling!) and kid safe. needless to say, the shredded rubber isn't there anymore.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

not that long ago some local schools and parks decided to use shredded tires instead of mulch on the playgrounds because they thought it would be both eco friendly (recycling!) and kid safe. needless to say, the shredded rubber isn't there anymore.

holy poo poo wow

quote:

The Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends the following precautions:
  1. Avoid mouth contact with playground surfacing materials, including mouthing, chewing, or swallowing playground rubber. This may pose a choking hazard, regardless of chemical exposure.
  2. Avoid eating food or drinking beverages while directly on playground surfaces, and wash hands before handling food.
  3. Limit the time at a playground on extremely hot days.
  4. Clean hands and other areas of exposed skin after visiting the playground, and consider changing clothes if evidence of tire materials (e.g., black marks or dust) is visible on fabrics.
  5. Clean any toys that were used on a playground after the visit. [18]

good going

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
considering the poor to non-existent insulation already present in most California homes I don't see how a metal box could be any better/worse :haw:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

It’s clear that drawing was just a publicity stunt (and maybe a scheme by BART to get one of the local billionaires to buy an old subway car or three to take out to Burning Man).

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

*imports train model into sketchup, presses copy and paste 100 times*

look ma, I'm an architect

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

haveblue posted:

they don't contain any specific person for more than at worst an hour or two, at least not the ones who intend on living healthily

they would also have to be made to conform to residential building codes, right? compliant electric and gas, compliant water and sewer, emergency egress (and remove emergency features that only make sense for trains like pop-out windows). change the remaining windows to double pane. also I'm guessing that bare sheet metal is not an acceptable material for an inhabited space so you'll have to cover up the whole interior with something

also can't really tell from the diagram- are the cars load bearing? can they do that without modification or will they need internal reinforcement?

thats kind of the joke of the whole thing

legally it would not be out of line to plop down single cars or even a few connected ones on a plot of land and just have it be a really lovely trailer house to a pretty decent trailer house depending on which specific railcar you were using. individual houses usually aren't required to have things like water hookups or electric lines - you can go an dbuild some fuckin unabomber shack and live in it if you want after all.and hell it's not like a railcar is going to collapse from an earthquake either so it's going to be pretty much fine cemented to the ground and still meet earthquake code

but when you start piling them all up into a multifamily residence you are subject to much more stringent building codes, mandates to provide utility hook ups and all that.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

subway cars already contain people all day every day

i imagine the only "toxic materials" are brake dust / fluids / lubricants in the trucks under the car

a bunch of older railcars out there still have a bunch of asbestos in them that wasn't yet pulled out in one refurbishment cycle or another, and yes there can be nasty stuff in the equipment not in the passenger cabin that probably would need to be remediated before legal use in a building.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BMan posted:

*imports train model into sketchup, presses copy and paste 100 times*

look ma, I'm an architect

congratulations, here’s your professional license

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

fishmech posted:

individual houses usually aren't required to have things like water hookups or electric lines

im actually not sure one could build to code and not have a water hookup at all

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The_Franz posted:

oh hey my elementary school did that... for like a year, before it was replaced by sand. i always assumed it was replaced because the bits got stuck in kids' shoes and then left black streaks all over all the floors

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Trabisnikof posted:

im actually not sure one could build to code and not have a water hookup at all

pretty sure you can still build a unabomber shack and use an outhouse and have it be fine, even if some municipalities wouldn't let you have it in city limits in the same way they won't let you have a lawn go unmowed or whatever

there's still plenty of rural areas with no proper hookups like that

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

fishmech posted:

pretty sure you can still build a unabomber shack and use an outhouse and have it be fine, even if some municipalities wouldn't let you have it in city limits in the same way they won't let you have a lawn go unmowed or whatever

there's still plenty of rural areas with no proper hookups like that

I’ve stayed at very rural hunting lodges with septic tanks and their own personal water towers filled partially from a well and partially from rainwater. Too far off the grid so you gotta build your own grid.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lmao

https://twitter.com/gregotto/status/1087830112266059778

“It warned that the United States had retaliated against Pyongyang and that people in the affected areas had three hours to evacuate,” Lyons said Monday. “It sounded completely legit, and it was loud and got our attention right off the bat. … It was five minutes of sheer terror and another 30 minutes trying to figure out what was going on.”

Lyons and her husband stood slack-jawed in the living room, terrified but also confused because the television continued airing the NFC Championship football game. As their scared 8-year-old son crawled underneath the rug, the couple realized the apocalyptic warning came from their Nest security camera atop their living room television.

After many panicked minutes and phone calls to 911 and to Nest, the couple learned they likely were the victims of a hacker. And that panic turned to anger when they found out that Nest knew that there had been a number of such incidents — none involving nuclear strike scenarios — but failed to alert customers. Lyons said a Nest supervisor told them Sunday they likely were the victims of a “third party hack” that gained access to their camera and its speakers. The company did not return a request for comment Monday.

ok the internet of poo poo is cool again

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah those are the kind of hacks that i wanna see. more taking over people's apartments to :2bong: freak them out, less stealing their personal information to sell to insurance companies

SuddenExpire
Jun 29, 2005

expired...

Cucked by my camera, 5 minutes of sheer terror written by Chuck Tingle

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
that thumbnail is perfect lmbo

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

hawaii-missile-alerts-as-a-service

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
that missile alert was wild

you could really tell who didn't check their phones lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The_Franz posted:

im pretty sure my elementary school had that when i was a kid lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lmao

https://twitter.com/gregotto/status/1087830112266059778

“It warned that the United States had retaliated against Pyongyang and that people in the affected areas had three hours to evacuate,” Lyons said Monday. “It sounded completely legit, and it was loud and got our attention right off the bat. … It was five minutes of sheer terror and another 30 minutes trying to figure out what was going on.”

Lyons and her husband stood slack-jawed in the living room, terrified but also confused because the television continued airing the NFC Championship football game. As their scared 8-year-old son crawled underneath the rug, the couple realized the apocalyptic warning came from their Nest security camera atop their living room television.

After many panicked minutes and phone calls to 911 and to Nest, the couple learned they likely were the victims of a hacker. And that panic turned to anger when they found out that Nest knew that there had been a number of such incidents — none involving nuclear strike scenarios — but failed to alert customers. Lyons said a Nest supervisor told them Sunday they likely were the victims of a “third party hack” that gained access to their camera and its speakers. The company did not return a request for comment Monday.

ok the internet of poo poo is cool again

lol

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

haveblue posted:

change the remaining windows to double pane.

hahahahaha have you ever seen a bay area apartment

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

DELETE CASCADE posted:

hahahahaha have you ever seen a bay area apartment

new construction is typically held to a stricter standard for code compliance than historic or "grandfathered in" structures, of which there is no shortage in sf

newer stuff is going to have noticeably better insulation and energy efficiency, as well as better seismic protection even in areas that aren't entirely neglecting to require seismic retrofits of their building owners

tbf i expect that "why can't i build this like it's the 70s" is prolly gonna be asked by the people behind any kinda affordable housing project anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

FrozenVent posted:

what’s the name of this podcast?

Your av fills me with confusion and anger in roughly equal measure, hth?