Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Tiggum posted:

So if you only count these three channels and only during certain hours, there are only four soap operas? That seems pretty meaningless.

Soap Operas used to make up the bulk of US Broadcast television's daytime programming - from like 12:30 to 4 PM it was solid soaps; something like 12 new hours a day, 5 days a week. Even just a decade ago, there were still 8 series running. For people over a certain age, it's a cultural touchstone.

(My grandmother used to be a fanatic for ABC's soap operas and wouldn't even flip over to the other networks to check in during commercials. Now, since ABC is down to just General Hospital, the market has forced her hand and she watches the ones on CBS to get her fix.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite memories growing up is cutting my great grandma's grass, then drinking diet sprite and watching her stories with her for a couple hours and fussing over whether I was going to let her pay me.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Tunicate posted:

More Princess Planet, covering November 21st to December 5th. As McLachlan puts it "Wow. I drew Christi way too skinny and weird back in 2004."

Webcomics don't belong in this thread, thanks.

Modesty Blaise

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Transmodiar posted:

Webcomics don't belong in this thread, thanks.

:shrug: there's a lot of webcomics here already.

TPP ran in a couple newspapers and magazines (which makes it less webcomicy than a lot of the others), but if someone wants to make a spinoff thread and move all the webcomics out into it, that's fine, but until that happens

The Princess Planet (December 12th, 2004)

The Princess Planet (December 19th, 2004)

The Princess Planet (December 26th, 2004)

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 22, 2019

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Just caught up after the three-day weekend. I didn't think Jamal would go there, but it did. Goddamn. Too real. Only thing missing was old Facebook pictures of Jamal's brother looking menacing like with a hoodie on or in bad lighting to help justify that he deserved to be shot. God-motherfucking-drat. That comic.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tunicate posted:

but if someone wants to make a spinoff thread and move all the webcomics out into it, that's fine, but until that happens

There is a thread for webcomics already, right?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

There's every chance that Shauna pulled off this whole slick move just to stick it to her old bandmates.

I think I mentioned earlier that 'Leila' was called Yumi in the initial run. I guess Allison forgot to change the chanting.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Potsticker posted:

There is a thread for webcomics already, right?

I think that's only for ones that are currently updating - bad machinery is still being posted here.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

For those who came in late, this thread is for sharing and enjoying newspaper (and newspaper-adjacent) comics ranging from the sublime to the damned; from Andertoons to Ziggy. If you have some interesting comics to post they are more than welcome, good or bad they all go onto this hoarder's trove we're committed to building each and every year. There are a few exceptions, but the general rule is that the product must have been published in a newspaper or periodical at some point; it's done by an artist whose work was, or it's hosted by Comics Kingdom or GoComics as that counts as syndication now that the printed word is gone forever.

Bad Machinery is one of the exceptions, but oh god please don't start posting Penny Arcade here. Please keep webcomics in the webcomics thread.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Tunicate posted:

I think that's only for ones that are currently updating - bad machinery is still being posted here.

manero posted:

Bad Machinery is one of the exceptions, but oh god please don't start posting Penny Arcade here. Please keep webcomics in the webcomics thread.
Actually, Bad Machinery is on GoComics, that's why I started posting it.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Pastry of the Year posted:

Tinkersons is a good comic. I'm not going to argue with anyone who doesn't like the art, but the writing and characters have really grown on me. When it debuted in this thread, I thought it was going to be another hate-read, but nope! I look forward to it.
It has grown on me as well. First Reply All, now Tinkersons, both with weird and sometimes annoying art but decent writing. I think a good example of the opposite is Macanudo (good art, bad writing), and that doesn't seem to get away with it so much in my opinion, but it's pretty new, so maybe it will also grow on me. I'll keep posting it, for a while anyways.

Selachian posted:

And of course, Edge of Zombies:

Lambarene is best known as the site of Albert Schweitzer's hospital. It is also, as it happens, 1,500 miles away from Fort Lamy/N'Djamena.
Do they actually produce this comic on paper and color it with physical ink? That would be neat if they were good at it but it just looks sloppy.

F Minus

Macanudo

Mark Trail

gently caress you, Mark.

Mary Worth

She's that one-eyed cat turned human!

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

I think I mentioned earlier that 'Leila' was called Yumi in the initial run. I guess Allison forgot to change the chanting.
I wonder why Allison changed the name, did he think having Shauna call herself Yumi Aoki was too yellowface?
Regardless Shauna, you are tough :allears:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

That Foob :eyepop:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
At least when Lynn choked on her meal of hard boiled egg and lettuce after reading today's paper, she was over the sink to spit it out and not choke on it because after all, she was completely alone and that could've been dangerous

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Not an emptyquote because I also want to say hell yeah Shauna.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I don't think we have a single webcomic in this thread that wasn't at least on GoComics, such as Bad Machinery. That one also has the distinction of being really good.

Do we have any other webcomics in the thread at this point that don't fit the aforementioned criteria? I'm not counting Medium Large which occasionally shows up because it's a sometimes-posted webcomic by a syndicated cartoonist.

So far The Princess Planet looks like a pretty lovely webcomic. If it meets the criteria to stay then sure, whatever, I'm not the thread police and I'll just leave my opinion here and scroll past it :shrug:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Do they actually produce this comic on paper and color it with physical ink? That would be neat if they were good at it but it just looks sloppy.

Dunno. There's a photo out there of Jam drawing a Mark Trail strip on paper, so it's entirely possible. Remember, Jam was Elrod's assistant for a long time, so maybe he learned to do things the old-fashioned way and that's what he's still comfortable with?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Selachian posted:

Dunno. There's a photo out there of Jam drawing a Mark Trail strip on paper, so it's entirely possible. Remember, Jam was Elrod's assistant for a long time, so maybe he learned to do things the old-fashioned way and that's what he's still comfortable with?

It does look like there's less cut and paste than there was previously. That whole strip is a godawful mess so who knows.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

shortspecialbus posted:

I don't think we have a single webcomic in this thread that wasn't at least on GoComics, such as Bad Machinery. That one also has the distinction of being really good.

Do we have any other webcomics in the thread at this point that don't fit the aforementioned criteria? I'm not counting Medium Large which occasionally shows up because it's a sometimes-posted webcomic by a syndicated cartoonist.

So far The Princess Planet looks like a pretty lovely webcomic. If it meets the criteria to stay then sure, whatever, I'm not the thread police and I'll just leave my opinion here and scroll past it :shrug:

Yeah, I explained earlier that GoComics is newspaper farm-league, and we've seen strips that started from there move to syndication even if they were webcomics first. So I think the GoComics rule is a good one. Adding whatever other far-flung webcomics from the worst reaches of 2007 seems like a bad idea, and The Princess Planet also seems like, not... good. Not good or bad enough to justify bending the thread rule.

Vargo fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 23, 2019

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Tunicate posted:

:shrug: there's a lot of webcomics here already.

See all of the above comments that prove you wrong

Tunicate posted:

TPP ran in a couple newspapers and magazines (which makes it less webcomicy than a lot of the others)
The Princess Planet website defines the comic as "a webcomic of funny fantasy adventures for all ages."

Tunicate posted:

If someone wants to make a spinoff thread and move all the webcomics out into it, that's fine
Someone did - it's called the Webcomics thread.

Tunicate posted:

but until that happens
Don't threaten us with your lovely webcomic unless you want "Oh Baby," "Sylvia," and "Herb and Jamal" brought back for mutually assured destruction.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Transmodiar posted:

Don't threaten us with your lovely webcomic unless you want "Oh Baby," "Sylvia," and "Herb and Jamal" brought back for mutually assured destruction.

"if you poo poo up this thread we'll poo poo it up even more" isn't a very effective threat.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Zanzibar Ham posted:

"if you poo poo up this thread we'll poo poo it up even more" isn't a very effective threat.

You must be new to this thread.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Transmodiar posted:

You must be new to this thread.

No, I just remember how stupid the threat always is (hint, there's a reason you guys always end up posting those terrible comics, it's because the people prompting you to do it want you to).

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

To be abundantly clear:

I want none of those comics threatened to be posted. Ever. Under any circumstances.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

What's this strip called? I missed the introduction.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Transmodiar posted:

See all of the above comments that prove you wrong

Yeah, I get it, you're trying to rules lawyer and say a comic that was published in The Toronto Star (the biggest newspaper in Canada) is a 'webcomic', and a comic that has only been published on the web isn't.

That gocomics is allowed in the thread doesn't change the fact that comics published exclusively online are webcomics.

I don't think people want to go ultra-purist and kick every comic that isn't exclusively newspaper out of the thread, but if they do I'll respect that decision.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I will accept the banning of webcomics if and only if Intelligent Life gets banned for being webcomic only now.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Tunicate posted:

It's a mostly gag-a-day webcomic that wrapped up back in 2013

Tunicate posted:

TPP ran in a couple newspapers and magazines

Tunicate posted:

Published in The Toronto Star (the biggest newspaper in Canada)

You keep being a dick about us not knowing the information that you never bothered to mention in the beginning. (Which also sounds like it came from the webcomic's "About Us" page.)

Like, I get it, we're pretty loose with the definitions here, we've even had like, student-newspapers and poo poo in here, but it seems pretty obvious that TPP doesn't really fit the rest of the thread, and also it kinda feels like this is just you having a personal thing against Bad Machinery being here.

Tunicate posted:

Let's ditch Bad Machinery and that one with kids that have old man faces too.

Vargo fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 22, 2019

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

You know what I miss? I miss treasureplane posting all the old comics like Dickie Dare and King Aroo and the like. Those were some good comics, even if Dickie Dare got a lil racist from time to time.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I want Oh Baby, Sylvia, and Herb and Jamal posted again, preferably in the middle of other comic blocks so they sneak up on users with minimal warning.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Zereth posted:

This character had surgery to look like a rat, as a note. She doesn't have those ears or tail anymore. Or, well, didn't until just now, I guess.

That's their true nature tho, no surgery or 'pheromones' can get rid of that. :biotruths:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Discendo Vox posted:

I want Oh Baby, Sylvia, and Herb and Jamal posted again, preferably in the middle of other comic blocks so they sneak up on users with minimal warning.

Don't forget girls and sports.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Huxley posted:

watching her stories
My Nana's dementia got to the point where she stopped recognizing me 5 years ago and just reading this made me tear up

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, I get it, you're trying to rules lawyer and say a comic that was published in The Toronto Star (the biggest newspaper in Canada) is a 'webcomic', and a comic that has only been published on the web isn't.

That gocomics is allowed in the thread doesn't change the fact that comics published exclusively online are webcomics.

I don't think people want to go ultra-purist and kick every comic that isn't exclusively newspaper out of the thread, but if they do I'll respect that decision.

If it was published in an actual real-deal newspaper, then it fits into our rules. Even if people don't like it.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

And yet, it seems to be our go-to.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

She's that one-eyed cat turned human!

Her evil plan is so transparently idiotic that I can't imagine anybody falling for it, not even Ian. But if he just says, "huh" and gives her an F, that's the end of the plot, and that's pretty thin, even for Mary Worth. So where do we go from here?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

StrixNebulosa posted:

I will accept the banning of webcomics if and only if Intelligent Life gets banned for being webcomic only now.

Intelligent Life at least spawns the occasional funny edit.

Ban Working Daze.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Julet Esqu posted:

And yet, it seems to be our go-to.
What other threats do we have, other than complaining a lot?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Julet Esqu posted:

If it was published in an actual real-deal newspaper, then it fits into our rules. Even if people don't like it.

Yeah, that information wasn't really available at first. Like I said either way, I (and everyone else) can scroll past it if we don't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Holbrook has previously had trans-species storylines.

So this is a conversion therapy actually works storyline? :|