Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Oh my God thank you for posting this, I thought this was a fever dream I had as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Koalas March posted:

Oh my God thank you for posting this, I thought this was a fever dream I had as a kid.

It was an Emmys sketch, I think. Grammer wasn't in it because he was in rehab after flipping his Ferrari.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The only Harry episode I can think of off of the top of my head is the one where his dead girlfriend comes back as an alien

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Harry wakes up back in San Fran and is designing a shuttle and no one else knows he was ever gone

Harry makes out with a cow

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

The Bloop posted:

Harry wakes up back in San Fran and is designing a shuttle and no one else knows he was ever gone

Harry makes out with a cow

Is that A-story / B-story?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Harry's musical instrument of choice is a loving clarinet and I'm falling asleep just thinking about it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Delsaber posted:

Harry's musical instrument of choice is a loving clarinet and I'm falling asleep just thinking about it.

It's like the water polo of musical instruments!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

loving water polo LOL what were they thinking

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The only Harry episode I can think of off of the top of my head is the one where his dead girlfriend comes back as an alien

It’s a surprisingly decent one too, IIRC.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It’s bad. The only good thing about it is drunk rear end loser Paris. The girlfriend herself is suitably boring for Harry, but the contrivance to explain the premise is like the purest-strain Voyager poo poo imaginable. It has nothing to do with Harry’s character and is just a consequence of irrelevant aliens we’ll never meet again doing The Tech to him, so instead of revealing anything about his character the episode just makes him do The Tech backwards and everything is fixed.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Drink-Mix Man posted:

loving water polo LOL what were they thinking

Climate change and WW3 flooded and destroyed all the bigger sports venues.

We'd better turn this situation around toot sweet or we'll be stuck with water polo and blitzball.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

McSpanky posted:

Looking back on it, I can't believe they let that episode air on network television in the 1980s.

Um, I think you mean syndicated television. :smugbert:

To some degree, I wouldn't be surprised with this having something to do with it. TNG pioneered the "direct-to-syndication" approach for televised drama, and different stations getting to put the show into different timeslots may have given them some leeway. Or even thinking "places that would have a problem with this aren't showing the series anyway."

If anybody knows more about this, I'd love to hear. The business side of TV (with regards to censorship) has always fascinated me.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Delsaber posted:

Climate change and WW3 flooded and destroyed all the bigger sports venues.

We'd better turn this situation around toot sweet or we'll be stuck with water polo and blitzball.

You’re the second person I’ve seen spell “tout suite” as toot sweet (or the same person twice) and I don’t know how to react to it.

Edit: Must be because no one uses that obscure language known as French.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Kibayasu posted:

You’re the second person I’ve seen spell “tout suite” as toot sweet (or the same person twice) and I don’t know how to react to it.

I speak French. But not Quebecois - that poo poo is incomprehensible

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's the candy you whistle.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Timby posted:

It was an Emmys sketch, I think. Grammer wasn't in it because he was in rehab after flipping his Ferrari.

From the Star Trek 30th Anniversary Special: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvsNqS6KxIc

About 37 minutes in.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

HD DAD posted:

I speak French. But not Quebecois - that poo poo is incomprehensible

I moved to Québec awhile back and it's frustrating that stuff like Rosetta Stone doesn't have a Québecois course.

But I've learned lots about how to construct sentances entirely out of estì, tabarnak, calisse, and sacrement.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Kibayasu posted:

It might be misspelled but it works for all intensive purposes

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I hole-hardedly agree, this was a blessing in the skies.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Even this would have been more interesting if they had done it for real. Like, have the show deal with the fact that some people— especially the non-Starfleet— would probably become depressed about the idea of being confined to Voyager for the rest of their lives and stop giving a poo poo about military professionalism.

Though I think it would have been interesting if this was a bunch of people except for unexpectedly Paris. Like half the crew rebels and says "gently caress this uniform-wearing, rank-saluting garbage, I'm doing casual Friday," a bunch more flat out mutiny, and Paris the convict becomes the one backing Janeway 100% because he feels indebted to her for a second chance.

I could see some complete burn-out from constantly working. Small crew, emergency every few weeks and constantly repairing damage from the battles or the anomaly of the week.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ashpanash posted:

For all intensive purposes, I agree that it was such a blessing. Bookoo blessings, even.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

ashpanash posted:

Worst case Ontario I might accidentally offend a 19th century Frenchman.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

ashpanash posted:

This is all good and fun, but the notion that everyone here speaks and reads English well enough to recognize these plays on words isn't the kind of thing you want to take for granite.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Purple Hayes was in my brain,
lately things don't seem this aim,
actin' funny but I don't know why
'Scuse me while I kiss this guy.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Non

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Delsaber posted:

Worst case Ontario I might accidentally offend a 19th century Frenchman.

Kay Sarah, Sarah, I always say. If you do, just say excuseay mwah, mon sewer, and he'll forgive you.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Kibayasu posted:

Je pense que tu veut dire “tout de suite”. :colbert:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Je pense que tu veut dire “tout de suite”. :colbert:

Crazy gibberish

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
remember when the voyager crew got kidnapped and brainwashed into perfect slaves and tom paris still was so lovely he got fired

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have a spelling checker.
It came with my PC.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot sea.

Eye ran this poem threw it,
Your sure reel glad two no.
Its vary polished in it’s weigh,
My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a bless sing,
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when aye rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen
Eye trussed to bee a joule
The checker poured o’er every word
To cheque sum spelling rule.

Be fore a veiling checkers
Hour spelling mite decline,
And if were lacks or have a laps,
We wood be maid to wine.

Butt now bee cause my spelling
Is checked with such grate flare,
Their are know faults with in my cite,
Of none eye am a wear.

Now spelling does knot phase me,
It does knot bring a tier.
My pay purrs awl due glad den
With wrapped words fare as hear.

To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should be proud.
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaws are knot aloud.

Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays
Such soft ware for pea seas,
And why I brake in two averse
By righting wants too pleas.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I watched the first episode of TNG season 2 and wtf. Deanna Troi gets raped by some kind of light, gives birth to the light posing as her fast aging child, and then it flies away. Only Worf seems to think anything is wrong with this. I don't think this episode could be made in 2019.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Spacebump posted:

I watched the first episode of TNG season 2 and wtf. Deanna Troi gets raped by some kind of light, gives birth to the light posing as her fast aging child, and then it flies away. Only Worf seems to think anything is wrong with this. I don't think this episode could be made in 2019.
Greater than 50% of Troi episodes would not be made today

this also includes that part in Nemesis where Troi also gets mind raped

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Spacebump posted:

Then again, a truly alien culture is not going to respect our cultural boundaries, especially when making a first contact. You could probably get away with it today as long as you also explicitly mentioned the issue with autonomy in some dialog.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Spacebump posted:

Yeah, welcome to the Writer's Strike season. That episode was recycled from a script that had been written for Star Trek Phase 2, a show featuring Kirk & co that was in development in the 70's that never materialized.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The episode where Troi loses her powers should have ended with her being totally fine with it, since all it does is allow her to read basic body language, get silently roasted by her mom, and be mind raped twice a season.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

They should have split Deanna into her constituent parts. The human half has Marina's normal eyes, the Betazoid half has colossal black sclera contacts.

Neither one is particularly useful.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Runs around in underwear
Betazoid
Betazoid

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Spacebump posted:

Counterpoint: the comedy rape episode of The Orville.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Runs around in underwear
Betazoid
Betazoid

Mott the barber cuts her hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017