Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My wife wants Ryobi's hand vac. for the car to go with the batteries in the drill her grandfather left and my backup tools. So I ordered the $99 set of lantern, quarter sheet sander, jigsaw, and vacuum from Home Depot. Don't much care if the sander is crap, gonna give it to her since she wants to learn drywaling in a room that needs it. Oughta do fine for at least making life easier after mudding. Then I'll have a cheap lantern and beater jigsaw the kids can learn on to save the corded Bosch I still need to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Butch Cassidy posted:

My wife wants Ryobi's hand vac. for the car to go with the batteries in the drill her grandfather left and my backup tools. So I ordered the $99 set of lantern, quarter sheet sander, jigsaw, and vacuum from Home Depot. Don't much care if the sander is crap, gonna give it to her since she wants to learn drywaling in a room that needs it. Oughta do fine for at least making life easier after mudding. Then I'll have a cheap lantern and beater jigsaw the kids can learn on to save the corded Bosch I still need to buy.

Good lord, don't use any kind of power sander, even a lovely one to sand drywall....unless it's got some sort of monstrous vacuum attached to it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I just know her well enough that she's going to try it since it'll be right there, next to the drill. Best she does so with a cheapie. The kids'll be easy enough t hand a sanding block and tod to put some elbow into it.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

Good lord, don't use any kind of power sander, even a lovely one to sand drywall....unless it's got some sort of monstrous vacuum attached to it.

Disagree (partially.) I use the Horrible Freight oscillating multitool (lauded/jeered upthread) with a triangle sanding pad for drywall finishing, and it has changed my life. It's especially useful for tight areas and patches, which is the bulk of my drywall fixes.

That said, one hand holds the sander, and the other holds the nozzle of a shop vac where it can grab the Tony-Montana-sized piles of white powder flying off. Drywall sanding is messy business no matter what, and if I'm going to be rapidly moving my arm up and down for 10 minutes, it's not going to be holding a sanding block.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I need a new Random Orbit Sander. I have a simple Bosch one, which is fine, but I think its time to upgrade to a nicer one with variable speed.

I'm still very upset I never got the cheap Festool PRO 5 LTD Sander they sold for $100 like 2 years ago. They never brought it back at that price either. :smith:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Cross-posting from the home ownership thread.

If anyone isn't already bought into a power tool system, Home Depot has a killer deal going on right now in their stores. Check the website to see if your location has this item:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-1...P1837/305439006

If they do, you can get it and any two items from an extensive list of bare tools and batteries for $199 total. That's 5 tools and two batteries for under $200.

You can also use this deal to expand your tool collection. When you buy a multiple tool deal like this in store, the receipt should list a maximum refund value, which is based on the percentage of the total before the free tool discount. You can then return one or two of the items and get that amount back. Put simply, if you buy the kit and get two $99 tools for free, you can return the tools and get $50 a piece back bringing the kit to $100.

Truth be told, you can probably craigslist or eBay some of the extra tools for more than the return value, so that might be a better option as well.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

BeastOfExmoor posted:

If anyone isn't already bought into a power tool system, Home Depot has a killer deal going on right now in their stores. Check the website to see if your location has this item:

If they do, you can get it and any two items from an extensive list of bare tools and batteries for $199 total. That's 5 tools and two batteries for under $200.

You can also use this deal to expand your tool collection. When you buy a multiple tool deal like this in store, the receipt should list a maximum refund value, which is based on the percentage of the total before the free tool discount. You can then return one or two of the items and get that amount back. Put simply, if you buy the kit and get two $99 tools for free, you can return the tools and get $50 a piece back bringing the kit to $100.

Truth be told, you can probably craigslist or eBay some of the extra tools for more than the return value, so that might be a better option as well.

I just bought this deal. Worth noting that these are all the new brushless tools. Haven't had time to compare performance, but the benefits of brushless sure sound great on paper. I went with the jigsaw and recip saw as my two adds for all the cutting power.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

You sure that's right right deal? All the ones with the free tools are showing to me as separate deals for $229:

Maybe it's just my local store has a higher price point?

I wish I had Ryobi stuff already, because I'd totally do it for two free tools that I don't have, then return the drill+driver+saw "core" kit since I already have those (and a couple other things) for Makita. But if I did that, I'd then have to still get a battery+charger set for the two tools I was left with.

Or go all in on Ryobi and try to sell my Makita stuff to get the money back...

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 18, 2019

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

DrBouvenstein posted:

You sure that's right right deal? All the ones with the free tools are showing to me as separate deals for $229:

Or go all in on Ryobi and try to sell my Makita stuff to get the money back...

I personally would keep the Makita as it’s a lot higher quality. They have similar sales on Makita around the Christmas holiday and Father’s Day.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

DrBouvenstein posted:

The website shows only the pre-chosen kits and that's the only way you can buy them online. In-store the 3 tool kit should be $199 and you can choose from any of the eligible tools for free. Here's some photos of the eligible tools:

https://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=124534996&postcount=141

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

keep it down up there! posted:

I need a new Random Orbit Sander. I have a simple Bosch one, which is fine, but I think its time to upgrade to a nicer one with variable speed.

I'm still very upset I never got the cheap Festool PRO 5 LTD Sander they sold for $100 like 2 years ago. They never brought it back at that price either. :smith:

I got this Bosch and am fairly happy with it. Variable speed, two different sized pads and even when I lean reasonably heavily on it it doesnt bog down. The only thing that annoys me is the bit where you attach your dust collection to is not a standard fitting so you have to bodge something together.

NPR Journalizard fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 21, 2019

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Ryobi 4-tool kit arrived.

Jigsaw - Sucks. But much better foot than my old Craftsman with comparable power, weight, and better blade tracking. Primary complaint would be the on/off trigger with speed control via drum on top ot the handle. Really just has me itchy to get my chainsaw and some kid tools out of the way so I can get around to a corded Bosch on the priorities list.

Quarter sheet sander - Is quarter sheet sander with some attempt at dust mitigation. We'll see how it holds up to my wife's currently low use as I gave it to her.

Hand vacuum - Works well so far. Still spoiled by my grandmother's awesome corded old handheld sweeper vac. that finally gave up the ghost but it doesn't seem any jankier than most current cordless.

330 lumen lantern with USB phone charging port - This will come in handy what with my pootly lit old mill house lacking both lighting and sufficient outlets. I'd say the kit was worth it for this with the rest considered as filler to justify the price. Phone battery is low so gonna check the charging after hitting post.

And there's the first impressions no one cared about regarding Ryobi's grab bag of what feels like random old models they want off their hands. Wouldn't suggest it unless you specifically want something within for aome reason. Wife wanted the vacuum and I currently have an urge to assemble some lighting that uses my cordless tool batteries so it was a good buy. Can't really complain about the beater saw and clunky sander when they were all but free if going by the cost of buying bare tools individually.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Does anyone have a jigsaw they are happy with? I have the ryobi mentioned above and agree with the assesment.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

sweet_jones posted:

Does anyone have a jigsaw they are happy with? I have the ryobi mentioned above and agree with the assesment.

Brushless model or no?

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

sweet_jones posted:

I mean if you want a stronger saw, a reciprocating saw should do the job.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I just picked up a 99 ford ranger that I'm going to start doing some work on. One of the things I've been meaning to buy is a torque wrench.
If I'm doing automotive type stuff, is the cheap rear end harbor freight one good enough, or do I go middle or top of the line?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
HF torque wrench is fine

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

HF torque wrenches are one of their better values, and the vast majority of automotive fasteners allow for a much greater tolerance on torque than the HF wrench needs.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I just picked up a 99 ford ranger that I'm going to start doing some work on. One of the things I've been meaning to buy is a torque wrench.
If I'm doing automotive type stuff, is the cheap rear end harbor freight one good enough, or do I go middle or top of the line?

What's up, 99 Ranger buddy? :hfive:

(Ok, technically I have a Mazda B4000, but it's the same truck.)

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

DrBouvenstein posted:

What's up, 99 Ranger buddy? :hfive:

(Ok, technically I have a Mazda B4000, but it's the same truck.)

I actually just found that out when I got the Haynes manual in the mail today. It’s an awesome little truck. I picked it up last Wednesday.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jan 24, 2019

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
:hf:

Picked up my 2000 4x4 v6 back in Octoberish, $300, driveable but needs a clutch and a couple leaks fixed. Slated to be a spare truck/beater/hunting truck so I can keep my Colorado nice.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hell yes, good trucks.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

sweet_jones posted:

I like my corded Dewalt DW331K, it's powered through a fair bit of 1/4" mild steel and 7000-series aluminum and the only damage was to my hearing. I particularly like the speed control, you can set a limit and ease into it, which is nice for starting. Blade changes are easy, just pull the lever and the hot blade drops on the floor. My only complaint is that on really thick wood it doesn't quite cut square and it's probably because the guides aren't super rigid. Maybe Bosch does that better, it looks like their side support is better.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
So I need someone to explain to me why a Stanley No. 6 has no real benefit over a No. 5. (I should really spend less money on beautiful antique hand tools)

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Blistex posted:

So I need someone to explain to me why a Stanley No. 6 has no real benefit over a No. 5. (I should really spend less money on beautiful antique hand tools)

The No 5. or "Jack" plane can be used for lots of different things, roughing, smoothing, flattening, jointing. The 6 gives you quite a bit more length which is good for surface flattening and edge jointing. If you arent going to flattening large surfaces you really wouldnt need the 6.

Get both, regardless.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

If anyone is interested in picking up a saw stop saw, do it before Friday, a price increase is going into effect on 2/1.
https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/sawstop-price-increase.html

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

AFewBricksShy posted:

If anyone is interested in picking up a saw stop saw, do it before Friday, a price increase is going into effect on 2/1.
https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/sawstop-price-increase.html

I wonder if this has to do with being owned by Fe$tools or that under the Festools name a "cheap" flesh tech saw is being released.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Well thats a bummer. Im looking into buying one, but not for another 2-3 months :(

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

JEEVES420 posted:

I wonder if this has to do with being owned by Fe$tools or that under the Festools name a "cheap" flesh tech saw is being released.

I don’t know but it was enough to make me finally pull the pin. That, plus it being available in Delaware (tax free shopping) plus some visa gift cards from Christmas means I have safe fingers now.

I also picked up the dust collection port too.
I went to woodcraft to pick it up. It would be trivially easy to spend about a million dollars in that place, it’s amazing.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 28, 2019

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
If you have $75 extra pick up a spare break since those are going up too. Not saying you will trip it but if you do doesn't hurt to have a spare break on hand. Also make sure you look over the no cut list, anything conductive in the slightest can trigger the break.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

JEEVES420 posted:

If you have $75 extra pick up a spare break since those are going up too. Not saying you will trip it but if you do doesn't hurt to have a spare break on hand. Also make sure you look over the no cut list, anything conductive in the slightest can trigger the break.

First thing you should do to make sure it works is run a hotdog through it, good idea or great idea?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

do those still work on disposable cartridges?

I thought they invented one that was re-useable.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

MRC48B posted:

do those still work on disposable cartridges?

I thought they invented one that was re-useable.

Bosch had one that simply dropped the blade below the table instantly, but I think SawStop sued it away.

Edit: Apparently the lawsuit is still going, and Bosch is still selling it.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 29, 2019

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

SawStop-We want to save everyone’s fingers by making sure that nobody else can save any fingers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Didn’t the inventor try to license the technology to established saw manufacturers and they told him to gently caress off so he started his own company?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Platystemon posted:

Didn’t the inventor try to license the technology to established saw manufacturers and they told him to gently caress off so he started his own company?
Yes, but with a huge but. Essentially, he wanted a not insignificant percentage of every saw sold in perpetuity. He then started pushing for legislation to make it illegal to sell a saw without his technology after they all told him to gently caress off.

The guy has always struck me as a bit of a dick. It's fine if he wants to save people's fingers, but then be a bit more reasonable with your licensing expectations. And alternatively, it's fine if you wanna get filthy rich off your invention, but then stop trying to legally mandate your richness under the guise of being worried about people's fingers.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Slugworth posted:

Bosch had one that simply dropped the blade below the table instantly, but I think SawStop sued it away.

Edit: Apparently the lawsuit is still going, and Bosch is still selling it.

The Bosch didn't ruin the blade, the SawStop does. They both use disposable cartridges, but with the Bosch, you get two firings per cartridge.

Also, Bosch is still selling their Reaxx saw internationally, but SawStop got an injunction preventing Bosch from selling the saw in the US.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, my impression of the SawStop inventor is that they legitimately did come up with an important new safety measure, but then they tried to use it to get rich in the most hamfistedly evil way possible. I can appreciate not wanting to be exploited by the companies you license the tech to, but dude you really need to get better at negotiating. Or hire someone who's better at negotiating.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

First thing you should do to make sure it works is run a hotdog through it, good idea or great idea?

gently caress him, I use my bandsaw for frozen meat. You can take my bandsaw when you pry my cold dead buffalo wings off it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Mambold posted:

gently caress him, I use my bandsaw for frozen meat. You can take my bandsaw when you pry my cold dead buffalo wings off it.

Valid use case checks out: