Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Emalde posted:

somebody spitepost their 49/49 spellbook w/ perfect blue achievement with the unironic sentiment of "BLU is fine" so we can all be spared the endless whining, thanks
I have the 49 spells and 24 challenges done, but holy gently caress trying to get Perfect Blue off #25 is madness. I wonder if the extra 2 Int off a Dreadwyrm ring would actually make any difference...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Eorzea as it’s pitched to you in the early game is as fake as Disney, it’s all built on a foundation of war and oppression and you’re just the brute force tool they use to make sure that they maintain their power.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

corgski posted:

Eorzea as it’s pitched to you in the early game is as fake as Disney, it’s all built on a foundation of war and oppression and you’re just the brute force tool they use to make sure that they maintain their power.

Don’t cut yourself on that edge sonny.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

To be fair, there are a bunch of Qiqirn in Thanalan that eat people or sell them to the Amalj'aa for money.

Some fates around eastern than imply Qiqirn aren't allowed to barter with the merchants, and can't get jobs either, meaning they have no money for food. The tavern near thanalan has a fate involving qiqirn raiding it because they really don't have any gil to just buy it. (Also, Qiqirn are constantly hungry, and need food for their high metabolism) In limsa, you can see at least one or two Qiqirn making an honest living selling some stuff.

I was honestly shocked in the 4.1 patch story that Lyse somehow managed to convince the Ala Mhigan Qiqirn that are out-right stated maneaters (even in the msq!) to come to the meeting with a representative.

How the hell did Lyse do that?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Rastan Beeza posted:

Some fates around eastern than imply Qiqirn aren't allowed to barter with the merchants, and can't get jobs either, meaning they have no money for food. The tavern near thanalan has a fate involving qiqirn raiding it because they really don't have any gil to just buy it. (Also, Qiqirn are constantly hungry, and need food for their high metabolism) In limsa, you can see at least one or two Qiqirn making an honest living selling some stuff.

I was honestly shocked in the 4.1 patch story that Lyse somehow managed to convince the Ala Mhigan Qiqirn that are out-right stated maneaters (even in the msq!) to come to the meeting with a representative.

She punched them.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Don’t cut yourself on that edge sonny.

Let me tell you about my good friend Karl Marx. Or is it K’arl Marx?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Verranicus posted:

She punched them.

Traditional Ala Mhigan diplomacy at work.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Fister Roboto posted:

Well I kinda did. Last year I decided that my posts ITT were extremely bad so I just stopped posting as a new years resolution. The Eureka happened and it sucked so there wasn't much for me to do except raid log, and then my long-time static leader kicked me out because he's a horrible manchild with serious emotional issues and a ton of friends who all enable him. So yeah I pretty much quit for the last few months!

Glad everyone here is still having fun though (I hope).

It's a mixed bag. Raids are the best they've ever been. The side content continues to be a drag pretty much across the board, although the new GATES and mahjong are neat.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Failboattootoot posted:

It's a mixed bag. Raids are the best they've ever been. The side content continues to be a drag pretty much across the board, although the new GATES and mahjong are neat.

New GATE rotation is awful because half of them require instancing which means you can't just hang out in the saucer while waiting on queues :(

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fister Roboto posted:

p.s. Orbonne Monastery was really fun and I cried a little at the end :qq:

I still cry during the second boss fight.

It makes dodging some attacks kinda hard but whatev.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Merlwyb is unjustly vilified because Y'shtola dropped a sick burn on her forever ago.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Rastan Beeza posted:

Qiqirn were gonna be a beast tribe and it probably would have went in to this, but they noticed people liked the namazu better so they swapped them out. There's still the beginnings of the Qiqirn story in the game though, with the brightly colored coated Qiqirn being the good guys and you help one of them in a stand alone quest.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Rastan Beeza posted:

Nobody ever remembers that for all Nanamo has done for the Ala Mhigan refugees, beast tribes are still totally banned from even entering Ul'Dah, like the Goblin merchants and Qiquirn.

So Merlwyb does have that

But not the Mamool Ja! Really goes to show that all laws should operate by Air Bud rules.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Yapping Eevee posted:

I have the 49 spells and 24 challenges done, but holy gently caress trying to get Perfect Blue off #25 is madness. I wonder if the extra 2 Int off a Dreadwyrm ring would actually make any difference...
Hey, you know that thing where complaining about struggling with something suddenly makes it all click into place?

It's far from the fastest clear out there, but I never have to do that again, so :toot:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Is running Levequests the best way to level a low-level DPS? Is it still faster to just run dungeons?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Rastan Beeza posted:

My guess is that they may not always have been maneaters but Garlean rule has made them even worse than before.

So Lyse probably just showed up and invited them. And then punched enough Qiqirn until they were willing to listen.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This dude looks like Eddie Izzard.

He's the Levequest giver in Costa del Sol.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Also eureka is really popular in Japan, that’s why you keep getting it. It’s an extremely weird comparison to make.

this is from pages ago but
People keep repeating this as if it was true but the Japan numbers aren't any better than the US ones, and the JP people think Americans are the brokebrains who like Eureka

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Yapping Eevee posted:

Hey, you know that thing where complaining about struggling with something suddenly makes it all click into place?

It's far from the fastest clear out there, but I never have to do that again, so :toot:

I'm close to having everything so it's good to see I'm not the only broken person here. :shepface:

I'm missing the special cheevos including Perfect Blue, 5 Carnivale clears, and the Garuda/Titan/Levi spells.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Your blue mage chievos quests are cute.

I'm going for the Levequest chievos.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is running Levequests the best way to level a low-level DPS? Is it still faster to just run dungeons?

How low-level are we talking here? Sub-15 I believe there's some merit to battle leves.

After that yeah, lldr and dungeons. Hunt log and Challenge log is also good, especially the FATE ones since they can be quick, easy exp. Squadron dungeons especially if it's a dps.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rastan Beeza posted:

How low-level are we talking here? Sub-15 I believe there's some merit to battle leves.

After that yeah, lldr and dungeons. Hunt log and Challenge log is also good, especially the FATE ones since they can be quick, easy exp. Squadron dungeons especially if it's a dps.

up into the 20s Leves are okay XP for time expenditures. Like I can knock off about 40-60% of a level in maybe 15-20 minutes. LLDR can give you more, as can spamming dungeons probably, but sometimes I just feel like grinding brainlessly.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Tashilicious posted:

Your blue mage chievos quests are cute.

I'm going for the Levequest chievos.
For the people who think Eureka isn't grindy enough: The levequest, crafting and Grand Company chevos. :shepface:

And yet I'm sure there is some complete nutcase out there who has the full set of achievements for all three GCs. Levequests, provisioning and supply missions, everything.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

Dungeons when you can get them, but otherwise run Confidence category leves: https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Battlecraft_Leves

In particular, Adamantoise Tears in S. Shroud is a real good leve at level<35 since you can complete it without fighting any monsters. If the person that assigns the leves isn't showing it, just take another and blast through it with a leveled class until it does show. You can also do Cower to the People in Coerthas, but that's a bit tricky to do if you don't have access to sleep spells to stop enemies from interrupting interactions with the quest items.

There's one HW Confidence leve but S-E got wise to people grinding them and made the interaction timer take real long and spawn in a ton of monsters, so that's no good.

edit: Oh right, I completely forgot about squadron missions/POTD. I remember that grinding POTD 1-10 use to be the fastest way to get to 50(60?) after like, 40, but that's probably not accurate anymore. People are still hot on squadron missions but I had everything at 50+ when it came out. That's fine for me because I thought that content was miserable to do.

staplegun fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 23, 2019

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Rastan Beeza posted:

The St. Coinach leves in Mor Dhona (45-50) are also good. It's really easy to get a bunch all clumped up in one portion of the map and knock out like, three at once waiting on dungeon queues.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Tashilicious posted:

this is from pages ago but
People keep repeating this as if it was true but the Japan numbers aren't any better than the US ones, and the JP people think Americans are the brokebrains who like Eureka

Must be the Europeans, then.

Or just the devs themselves.

Also did they ever post actual numbers anywhere or is it guesses all around.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

Well I kinda did. Last year I decided that my posts ITT were extremely bad so I just stopped posting as a new years resolution. The Eureka happened and it sucked so there wasn't much for me to do except raid log, and then my long-time static leader kicked me out because he's a horrible manchild with serious emotional issues and a ton of friends who all enable him. So yeah I pretty much quit for the last few months!

Glad everyone here is still having fun though (I hope).

hah i basically did the same, my raid group kinda fell apart and i didn't really have much time anyway due to workload at work, so i ended up unsubbing games for a bit. mahjong and orbonne are real good tho. :v:

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Must be the Europeans, then.

Or just the devs themselves.

Also did they ever post actual numbers anywhere or is it guesses all around.

All we have is the devs commenting that they made Eureka for a very select group of people, and were surprised when different people were playing it than than just that group, which is the explanation why pagos was so bad and also a very confusing statement on many fronts.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's still funny they were surprised players were chasing their relic/gear carrots no matter how bad the content, like this was new (for either FF14 or MMOs in general).

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Rastan Beeza posted:

Nobody ever remembers that for all Nanamo has done for the Ala Mhigan refugees, beast tribes are still totally banned from even entering Ul'Dah, like the Goblin merchants and Qiquirn.

So Merlwyb does have that

I mean the flip side is like 90% of anything of value happens in Ul'Dah, and even though like half the ruling authority would actively murder refugees in the streets people would still rather flock to it than anywhere else. It's a hectic place to try and run.

Also if you try and reform things they'll kill you and anyone you ever loved. After everything they went through the Scions got bodied pretty much instantly by capitalists.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Mulva posted:

I mean the flip side is like 90% of anything of value happens in Ul'Dah, and even though like half the ruling authority would actively murder refugees in the streets people would still rather flock to it than anywhere else. It's a hectic place to try and run.

Also if you try and reform things they'll kill you and anyone you ever loved. After everything they went through the Scions got bodied pretty much instantly by capitalists.

Yeah, on the mother of all sneak attacks. I don't think that trick will work twice on the WMD of Light.

I'm still looking for the "Skewer this fuckhead" option every time Lolorito shows up.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

Cabbit posted:

Yeah, on the mother of all sneak attacks. I don't think that trick will work twice on the WMD of Light.

I'm still looking for the "Skewer this fuckhead" option every time Lolorito shows up.

They keep bringing him back to make him look good and it just makes me dislike him more and more.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Cabbit posted:

They'll have someone pose as a random jerkoff with information we need to save the world that needs us to collect 4 coeurl asses first, we will then march directly into the trap because meaningless fetch quests are our kryptonite.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Are squadron dungeons worth more exp than non first LLDR of the day dungeons?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SonicRulez posted:

Merlwyb is unjustly vilified because Y'shtola dropped a sick burn on her forever ago.

Naw. Under Merlwyb, Limsa Lominsa was founded by driving the kobolds from their land. The "Limsan" tradition of metalworking was developed primarily by kidnapping, enslaving, and then forcing kobolds to teach their metallurgy techniques on pain of death.

You'll note that there are no descendants of those slaves still living in Limsa. Oh well I'm sure they were sent home unharmed with backpay.

In fairness to Merlwyb, she is also basically a tribal warlord trying to turn a migratory warband into a settled nation state and her authority has long been more in name than in fact. She was walking a razor's edge of maintaining the consent of her band of ex-pirates and freebooters.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 23, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Verranicus posted:

She (had the Warrior of Light) punch(ed) them.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Levequests can be pretty decent for xp from 10 to 60 if you do them in a party. They don't scale in size so several working together can crush combat leves in seconds, and you all get full xp when you turn in your own quests. Each party member might not get the exact same leves but that doesn't cut into your time spent all that much.

If your party comp allows it you are still better off running dungeons, but if you have a bunch of friends who want to level up jobs at around the same level range, leve spamming and jumping on any FATEs that appear nearby isn't a bad option to get some xp while chilling with buds.

Meicyn
Aug 22, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Naw. Under Merlwyb, Limsa Lominsa was founded by driving the kobolds from their land.
Nah man, Merlwyb became Admiral in 1563. Limsa was founded in 874. Merlwyb is in her 40s.

Also, Limsa was founded by occupying an unclaimed area in Vylbrand. The kobolds were hostile from the onset, unprovoked. This doesn't justify the terrible things Limsa did afterwards, and it doesn't justify Limsa violating the peace treaty that was signed under Merlwyb's tenure to which she admits fault. But she doesn't hold responsibility for all of Limsa's bloody history. Just the most recent bits.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rastan Beeza posted:

They couldn't turn down the prospect of free food. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Meicyn posted:

Nah man, Merlwyb became Admiral in 1563. Limsa was founded in 874. Merlwyb is in her 40s.

Also, Limsa was founded by occupying an unclaimed area in Vylbrand. The kobolds were hostile from the onset, unprovoked. This doesn't justify the terrible things Limsa did afterwards, and it doesn't justify Limsa violating the peace treaty that was signed under Merlwyb's tenure to which she admits fault. But she doesn't hold responsibility for all of Limsa's bloody history. Just the most recent bits.

It's been a hot second but there's at least one FATE chain that goes into detail about the breaking of the peace treaty and claiming that the Kobolds aggressed first doing it. Whether you wanna go hunting for that lore is another story.

Also Limsan is basically an island with only so much room to grow, running into its maximum sustainability even without the fact that the Sahagin get uppity about any sort of fishing that they don't clear and Limsa constantly being on turf war with the Kobolds. Merlwyb ain't a saint but a lot of people here like to call her a tyrant when 1) the situation is aittle mpre complex but 2) your introduction to Limsa is through Yshtola who readily admits she's biased and hates the place.

In conclusion Eorzea is a land of contrasts, thank you