Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

StrixNebulosa posted:

What did Mary Lou do in order to have Gene's parents turn rabidly overprotective??

Be pregnant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I hope Gene doesn't catch pregnancy :ohdear:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I think this arc is interesting - and throwing some readers - because we're used to seeing A & J as cool, progressive people (which they are!) but here they're being parents, and specifically parents of a teenage boy, with all that implies. It seems Gene broke a couple of rules: he wasn't supposed to have been gone as long as he was, and he definitely wasn't supposed to be alone with a teenage girl. Gene tried to play it cool in front of Mary Lou ("I sort of come and go as I please") but, yeah, nope.

I think it's clear that they're not mad at Mary Lou; they're worried about her. And I think they're also worried about their kid falling for a pregnant girl who lives in another city and making her problems his own on a longer-term and more serious basis than one would as "just a friend," probably because they're both romantics and could see that happening to themselves at that age.

I mean, from where we're sitting now, we can see the irony, but that future is a long way from the summer of '97.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Corto Maltese: By Kiangsi, we mean Jiangxi, or Utilising the Tsarist gold for the benefit of the people!, or Corto's last thoughts on his adventure

And so ends Corto's adventures in Siberia! But you'll no doubt be glad to hear that his story is not over just yet... join us next time, won't you? In a story that is sure to resonate with Mikl; The Fable of Venice! In the first book, Corto meets with those who keep back the electric car/those who make Steve Guttenberg a star!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Pastry of the Year posted:

I think this arc is interesting - and throwing some readers - because we're used to seeing A & J as cool, progressive people (which they are!) but here they're being parents, and specifically parents of a teenage boy, with all that implies. It seems Gene broke a couple of rules: he wasn't supposed to have been gone as long as he was, and he definitely wasn't supposed to be alone with a teenage girl. Gene tried to play it cool in front of Mary Lou ("I sort of come and go as I please") but, yeah, nope.

I think it's clear that they're not mad at Mary Lou; they're worried about her. And I think they're also worried about their kid falling for a pregnant girl who lives in another city and making her problems his own on a longer-term and more serious basis than one would as "just a friend," probably because they're both romantics and could see that happening to themselves at that age.

I mean, from where we're sitting now, we can see the irony, but that future is a long way from the summer of '97.

I think you pretty much nailed it. Like anyone, A&J thought they had a handle on things, and now they’ve been thrown for a loop. They’re being reactionary as a form of course correction.

One of the through lines of A&J is how much the pair has become more reserved and conservative from when they were younger. They both try to push against it in different ways, but they both have their own angst over age.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

How the gently caress do you read this comic

That's the third time it's been asked in three weeks and I explained it in my first post. I'm beginning to think it should just be in my avatar.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Well that was to the point.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I respect that employee.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Now all I can think about is how much I want a statue.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Tiggum posted:

Fred Basset

Is Charles Boyce ghostwriting Fred Basset now?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Nenonen posted:

NEW New Nancy by Yakov Kirschen

trigger warning: transphobia and bad art as produced by a 300 years old lich

there was also an incoherent rant about how 'traditional masculinity' is under attack by the left

you're welcome

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy would you post it in here

It was bad enough having to see that while trawling the Politoons thread, I really don't need this poo poo in one of the few truly enjoyable threads in this dead gay forum :(

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think all kids at that age are prone to falling head over heels. Arlo and Janis sense Gene has a big heart and a deep connection to Mary Lou, and they can easily see a future where involving himself with her and her child shifts him far away from what they have planned for him, like finishing school and growing up a little bit before taking on a responsibility so large as being a father to a child.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

New Alley Oop is loving horrible, and Little Oop is also loving horrible.

Also, concur that there's no reason to post blatantly offensive poo poo in here just because someone happened to appropriate a comic strip character. It's not funny and this isn't the right thread to have an engaging discussion about the topic.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
Sam's Strip

Ye Olde Foxtrot 04/30/88

Tarzan:UAH!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
God, I love Sam's Strip.

Our IX Lives

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

And now... Jamal

Vargo fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 23, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

*squints at Jamal* What is happening

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I read ahead so I COULD say, but. It'll be explained. Although it looks kinda obvious too.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
This is the second reference to furries that Bizarro has made in as many weeks.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Jamal I swear to god if it turns out to have been mum imagining what could have happened if she backtalked to the pig I will be super mad and super relieved, in that order.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Vargo posted:

Our IX Lives

I'm love that last panel

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Please no more I read ahead :smug: posts

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It has been a long time since Curtis made me laugh.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mikl posted:

Jamal I swear to god if it turns out to have been mum imagining what could have happened if she backtalked to the pig I will be super mad and super relieved, in that order.

Yeahhhhhhh. That does seem to be what it's doing, and if it is, I can see what the cartoonist is doing.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

9 Chickweed Lane

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Geech was like this on GoComics.

Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Vargo posted:

Wallace

This is one of my favorite Wallace strips.

quote:

And now... Jamal

My first reaction was "uh, that's a bit of a cop-out, no pun intended" but after a second I realized that there's no way the mom wouldn't run through that whole sequence in her mind in this situation. That's got to be her greatest fear, because she knows (as we do) that it's not just possible but likely. Honestly, I'm impressed by the writing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Darthemed posted:

Geech was like this on GoComics.

Christ, Arthur, you're in a family paper, put on some pants

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Why did you have to bring 9CL back.

Why did you have to do it.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
[quote="Evil Mastermind" post=""491915340"]

My first reaction was "uh, that's a bit of a cop-out, no pun intended" but after a second I realized that there's no way the mom wouldn't run through that whole sequence in her mind in this situation. That's got to be her greatest fear, because she knows (as we do) that it's not just possible but likely. Honestly, I'm impressed by the writing.
[/quote]

My first reaction was the same but I think it’s great after thinking a bit. Once you come to the realization we shared here, you can go one step further and start sympathizing with the characters that this is something they have to think about when dealing with the police. I think it’s pretty hard for white guys like myself to really understand the reality minorities live in, and playing it out this way evokes sympathy and understanding in a way that following through wouldn’t have. It changes it from being an unfortunate incident to a day to day reality.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Benly posted:

I dunno. I feel like it's not incredibly awful, just pretty mediocre, but it feels worse than it is because we have higher expectations of a zombie strip being taken over by a younger writer now that Olivia Jaimes has set the bar so high.

When really we should be thinking about how Jam Esallen set the bar so low

StrixNebulosa posted:

What did Mary Lou do in order to have Gene's parents turn rabidly overprotective??

Got pregnant. And you know how THOSE girls are. They're worried that she's going to try to do sex things with their beautiful boy (best case scenario) or (worst case scenario) try to con him into raising the baby.

I do like that it's showing that even normally cool progressive loving parents are still not necessarily perfect (and I think from the writing it's clear that we're supposed to be more on Gene and Mary Lou's side). If they let the kids hang out with fewer restrictions, probably nothing would happen. But they're parents and they love their son and it is the nature of parents who love their kids to sometimes be a little overprotective. I usually just kind of read or pass over Arlo and Janis based on if it catches my attention on a given day, but this storyline has been great.

Vargo posted:

And now... Jamal

:aaaaa:

The Bloop posted:

Please no more I read ahead :smug: posts

Super agree with this

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

Kill them all.

FrumpleOrz posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Kill them all.

You're a piece of poo poo, Bernice. Go drink bleach.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ryde posted:

My first reaction was the same but I think it’s great after thinking a bit. Once you come to the realization we shared here, you can go one step further and start sympathizing with the characters that this is something they have to think about when dealing with the police. I think it’s pretty hard for white guys like myself to really understand the reality minorities live in, and playing it out this way evokes sympathy and understanding in a way that following through wouldn’t have. It changes it from being an unfortunate incident to a day to day reality.
(I guess we can dispense with spoiler tags at this point)

I remember reading articles about how "minority" parents had to have conversations with their children about how to behave around cops; don't be threatening, do what they say, etc., but I don't think it really hit home for me (the white guy) until these strips.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I need to stop reading Luann, it's really bad for my blood pressure. (gently caress YOU BERNICE)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

There is just so much here
so much

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Vargo posted:

Wallace

BOOM!

I love the random seagulls in Wallace.

As for Arlo & Janis, Gene is supposed to be 15 at this point, if I remember correctly. As a parent of a 14-year-old boy, I totally get their reaction. I’d freak out pretty bad in that situation. Not just because I don’t think my son is ready for that kind of situation, but because I probably had never contemplated that situation myself.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Quick reminder that Bernice has been mistreated by Ann Eiffel herself, and knows exactly what kind of a person she is. Keep that in mind as you read this tale of Bernice going to bat for Ann Eiffel when another of her victims comes to her for support.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'm a little disappointed in Jamal at the moment. Maybe because I'm just coming off of seeing a different story where things were resolved in a montage with no words and we don't get any dialog or get the characters talking and interacting about how they feel about the situation. I feel like it's skipping over all the stuff that's harder to write and resolve. And in this case it looks like events didn't even happen in the first place. Not that it's delivering a bad message here, but I was ready for the Jamal (the strip) to deal with these events.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
For comparison, (and this is why I started posting Jamal in the first place), here's how Baldo tackled the same scenario just last month:

(Should note that the Jamal storyline doesn't end here, but there's only one more strip with the cop and the rest deals with the aftereffects of this incident. I'll probably go back to posting in groups tomorrow or the day after.)

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Julet Esqu posted:

Quick reminder that Bernice has been mistreated by Ann Eiffel herself, and knows exactly what kind of a person she is. Keep that in mind as you read this tale of Bernice going to bat for Ann Eiffel when another of her victims comes to her for support.

Is she still planning to be a guidance counselor?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 1, 1997)

Any chance you could post more per day? I dig this strip, would like to see more of it, and, with a 20 year backlog, you'd never catch up with the present day.

In any case, thanks for sharing it.

Modesty Blaise