Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I hate cooking food, an interesting and creative activity. I'd rather eat trash so I get more time to watch anime and play mind numbing videogames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Collapsing Farts posted:

I hate cooking food, an interesting and creative activity. I'd rather eat trash so I get more time to watch anime and play mind numbing videogames

:emptyquote:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

woooosh

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

I guess you missed the part where I'm using the time i might be cooking to go out and exercise more but why rely on statement when you can just regurgitate tired boring stereotypes?

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
People at my work going on about how they "lost out" from a poorly described eBay sale as if £3 is the make of break of their entire life. What's it like to have losing £3 be the defining point of your personality? Jesus

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Correct for burritos, omelettes, and fried rice only

Yeah, dry scrambled eggs are awful but a nice toasty omelette is great.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

CrRoMa posted:

Home cooking is such a bullshit waste of time. I had to get up at half 7 and leave for work at half 8, the last thing on my mind come 5pm is going home and cooking a stir fry or a nice omlette. Most of the the time I'll just have a sandwich and an apple. I really do not want to spend 45 minutes in the kitchen preparing a mediocre meal and doing endless dishes when i can get 2 pieces of bread and some cheese and make everything take a tenth of the time. gently caress cooking unless its your job or for a family meal etc. Waste of time.

Have you considered preparing good meals instead of mediocre ones? Might make a big difference.

In all seriousness though, have you thought about trying some crockpot recipes? Slow cooking can be a real godsend

Edit: Many thanks to all those who were polite enough not to mention the typo that lingered here for several hours.

christmas boots has a new favorite as of 03:14 on Jan 23, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cooking is a fun and relaxing way to entertain myself that feels semi productive. I spend 20 minutes to an hour every night cooking because I enjoy it and most of the meals I make are better than some takeout I'd pay 5 times as much for. It's also good for the ego to get really good at cooking something and then making it for other people, so they can tell you how good you are at it lol.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Put on some music or a podcast and cook away, goon

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

regular potato chips are better than kettle chips

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Stones is a funny way of measuring weight.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
stones have varying weight how do you weigh anything by stones

lets take something with a general weight like a couch. "i weigh half a love seat" makes more sense than "ahhh i weigh about twenty stones...maybe five, actually"

looking it up, stone as a term is about 14 pounds. just say 14 pounds.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
That's like saying everyone's foot is of different length.

No they're not.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Caufman posted:

That's like saying everyone's foot is of different length.

No they're not.

you cant grow stones but feet will grow. stones are made by birth at the size they were made from. duh

Caufman
May 7, 2007
When they say stone for weight, though, they mean the ur-stone: the Earth. A man who weighs three stones weighs three times the weight of Earth.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the earth is not a stone its dirt!!!

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Stones are just dirt who have their poo poo together.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Stone are more convenient for everyday use

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How so. It's like fortnight or ides (of march) in being useless. I thought euros like the metric system and yet when I see Top Gear they still talk about miles per hour.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The metric system is better than Imperial, but it should still be resisted because it comes bundled with the terrible Celsius system

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gripweed posted:

The metric system is better than Imperial, but it should still be resisted because it comes bundled with the terrible Celsius system

"50 sounds like a big enough number to describe near fatal outside temperatures." - Anders Celsius rear end in a top hat

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mu Zeta posted:

It's like fortnight in being useless.
"Fortnightly" is a very common and useful word.

Mu Zeta posted:

I thought euros like the metric system and yet when I see Top Gear they still talk about miles per hour.
The UK uses a weird mishmash of metric and imperial for no good reason. I don't know of anywhere else that does.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Canada uses fahrenheit but only for oven temperatures.

E: also uses pounds for weight and feet/inches for length a lot, but kilometers over miles.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 14:43 on Jan 23, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

In Fahrenheit the range of acceptable to human temperatures is 0 to 100. In Celcius it's somewhere around -12 to 45

Yeah great system, Europe. Very rational.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Fahrenheit's 0 point is base on the temperature of a mix of ice, water and a specific salt. It's only where it is because the dude found it easy to measure.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Canada uses fahrenheit but only for oven temperatures.

E: also uses pounds for weight and feet/inches for length a lot, but kilometers over miles.

Yeah in every day use Australia uses a mix too.

Also the last time Australia saw 0F was in 2011 I think.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Gripweed posted:

In Fahrenheit the range of acceptable to human temperatures is 0 to 100. In Celcius it's somewhere around -12 to 45

Yeah great system, Europe. Very rational.

Celsius best system. 0° water freezes, 100° water boils, 80° make tea, 30° go swimming, 20° best temperature, 10° wear a jacket.

Fahrenheit, uhh, 30° is cold I guess? 90 is hot? 400 is for baking cake? Or pizza?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Kelvin or nothing. None of this "below zero" crap.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's me, I'm the guy who boils and freezes water a lot, but not so often that I can remember complicated number like "32". The absent-minded water state change enthusiast, that's me. The person Celsius was designed for.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gripweed posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who boils and freezes water a lot, but not so often that I can remember complicated number like "32". The absent-minded water state change enthusiast, that's me. The person Celsius was designed for.

How often do you mix equal parts water, ice and ammonium chloride?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

*harried working mother in her kitchen* I've got all this water to boil, but I can't remember how hot it has to be! Is it 221 degrees? 122 degrees? There's no way to remember and id I don't get it just right my children will drop out of school! There has to be a better way!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How often do you mix equal parts water, ice and ammonium chloride?

No one is using that as a selling point for Fahrenheit. The benefits of a system where the temperatures that most humans will regularly encounter range from 0 to 100 are obvious. It's the Celsius fans who, finding that they simply like Celsius because it's what they're used to but there's no way to actually argue that it's better, break out the freezing and boiling water argument.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Oh yeah, today I might have to put on my winter tires, it's 34 degrees and might freeze. Or was that 36 degrees? If only there was a better way!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Does water work differently in Europe? Does freezing and boiling mean something different there? Because I'm pretty sure water has a way of showing if it's frozen or boiling. You can just look and see, you don't need to check with a thermometer. Pegging your temperature system to something that doesn't actually need to be measured with a thermometer, it's not good, folks.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

This is the saddest poo poo

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Okay. You've really convinced the rest of the world that their system is crap with this incredibly strong argument.

Or maybe everyone is more comfortable with the temperature system they grew up using, and there is no inherent advantage or disadvantage to either for everyday life.

The advantages of Celsius is that it is more easily compatible with Scientific measurements and Kelvin, but that doesn't matter to most people.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Celcius is the superior system and this is obvious to anyone who isn't American lol

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Okay. You've really convinced the rest of the world that their system is crap with this incredibly strong argument.

Or maybe everyone is more comfortable with the temperature system they grew up using, and there is no inherent advantage or disadvantage to either for everyday life.

The advantages of Celsius is that it is more easily compatible with Scientific measurements and Kelvin, but that doesn't matter to most people.

Everyone is comfortable with the system they're used to, it doesn't make a difference in daily life.

But for the sake of international cooperation, Americans should probably stop giving temperatures in "percent value relative to the difference between a winter in Danzig and the temperature of a person with a slight fever".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah in every day use Australia uses a mix too.
Maybe if you're, like, 70 years old or something. No one I know uses anything but metric.

Gripweed posted:

The benefits of a system where the temperatures that most humans will regularly encounter range from 0 to 100 are obvious.
No they aren't. Either way you just get used to knowing what numbers mean "cold", "pleasant", "hot", "normal range of cooking temperatures", etc. Neither system is obviously or inherently better than the other for day-to-day use. The one advantage celsius has for normal people is that more countries use it so it's generally going to be less of a hassle when travelling. That's about the only practical difference.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Having humanity share 2 systems for measuring temperature seems like a really dumb idea that will destroy us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

CrRoMa posted:

Having humanity share 2 systems for measuring temperature seems like a really dumb idea that will destroy us all.

Exactly. Same reason why words like fortnight and stone for weight shouldn't exist.