Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Total Meatlove posted:

Handy list for yanks of British papers you can trust the reporting from;

The Financial Times

sometimes The Guardian.

End of list

Assuming this is one of the times you can trust The Guardian Microsoft Edge has marked Daily Mail as having basically no credibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Groda posted:

"Now kith"

I wasn't responsible for this one, I promise.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Shouldn't it be Trucklin' and Fucklin'?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Kibayasu posted:

That had to be on purpose. There was literally no other way for that to end.

There is so much broken glass on the ground already I'd wager this is from a recycle plant where they'd want the panels to shatter into more managable pieces.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
This might belong here.
"Cesium-137 capsule found in a junkyard in Brazil. In 1987, this same material caused the largest radioactive accident in the country's history."

https://g1.globo.com/al/alagoas/not...rro-velho.ghtml

(google translated article)

quote:

City of Arapiraca says capsule containing cesium-137 was found in junkyard
Object was found after anonymous report. Thirty years ago, an incident in Goiânia involving this radioactive material became the largest radiological accident in the world.

The city of Arapiraca reported that an x-ray capsule containing cesium-137, a radioactive substance extremely dangerous to health, was found in a junkyard of the city on the afternoon of Monday (22).

The capsule was collected by the Municipal Sanitary Surveillance in the neighborhood of São Luiz II, after an anonymous denunciation.

When informed of the risk involved, the owner of the facility delivered the capsule, which had been removed from mammography equipment. He did not say how he succeeded, however.

Coordinator of the Municipal Sanitary Surveillance, Edilson Melo, explains that if the company that did the incorrect disposal is identified, it could respond criminally for putting the community at risk.

"It's closed, there's no danger, but if it had been opened, people would be at risk of contamination. We managed to avoid a tragedy like the one that happened in Goiânia (GO) 32 years ago, "says Melo.

The incident cited by the coordinator occurred on September 13, 1987, when scavengers located a radiotherapy device, similar to that found in the municipality of Alagoas, dismantled and sold to a junkyard.

The blue staining powder on the equipment caused four deaths and contaminated at least 249 people. This was known as the world's largest radiological accident.

Anyone who has information that can help locate the person responsible for the capsule's disposal or wants to make other complaints, you can call the Arapiraca Sanitary Surveillance at (82) 3530-3302, from 8am to 2pm.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

What, no security guard ditching work to watch Herbie Goes Bananas this time?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

AzureSkys posted:

A couple and their baby were killed by a concrete wall that fell off a bridge during construction near where I live in 2015. I drive over that bridge nearly every day and remember when it was shut down afterwards. It's quite sobering thinking of what happened. At least it was likely instantaneous for them all.
https://www.cnn.com/2015/04/14/us/washington-overpass-accident-concrete-barrier/index.html

I recently reconnect to an aunt who married into the construction side of the family. She had some sobering rants about bridge maintenance in the US, and now I'm extra glad I live on the same side of the Columbia as my job. Nothing has gone horribly wrong in the PDX Metro yet, but it's really only a matter of time. At least the Sellwood Bridge got replaced, so that's one not actively shedding bits into the river.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Krabboss posted:

You should be banned from posting in this thread if you don't support the killdozer man. Rich people should count themselves lucky if this is the worst that happens.

At what income or overall wealth status do I become evil and deserving of death? I feel like this is important information I should have. Also does the source of my wealth matter in the calculation?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

The Locator posted:

At what income or overall wealth status do I become evil and deserving of death? I feel like this is important information I should have. Also does the source of my wealth matter in the calculation?

It's probably lower, but offhand around the 10 million mark you're 100% a drain on society that needs to be giving away more than they're keeping.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

The Locator posted:

yeah there are a handful of things that are never moral to profit from, including:
- slavery
- petrochemicals
- diamonds & rare minerals
- palm oil
- internet forums
- conservative stupidity, but that's the only renewable resource on the list.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I recently reconnect to an aunt who married into the construction side of the family. She had some sobering rants about bridge maintenance in the US, and now I'm extra glad I live on the same side of the Columbia as my job. Nothing has gone horribly wrong in the PDX Metro yet, but it's really only a matter of time. At least the Sellwood Bridge got replaced, so that's one not actively shedding bits into the river.

I know the feeling, especially when another tiny but sketchy bridge near me got permanently closed last Fall. It's not too major of a detour, but was important to some in my area. It seems more scrutiny has been given to bridges in the State after incidents these past few years.

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/news/2018/08/31/sr-162-spiketon-creek-bridge-near-buckley-closed-permanently

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

This is the funniest milkshake duck ever.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
what kind of genie do i have to bargain with to make it so that every time i give a handjob, a duck shows up in my yard?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

what kind of genie do i have to bargain with to make it so that every time i give a handjob, a duck shows up in my yard?

I don't think milkshakes refer to handjobs.
Also, there seems to be a fee attached.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Taking that literally, one that owns lots of ducks.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/9nwzFNt.gifv

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

"Listen Miguel, before I let you hold the firehouse I need you to understand how powerful they are and how important it is that you keep a hand on them."

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

drunkill posted:

This might belong here.
"Cesium-137 capsule found in a junkyard in Brazil. In 1987, this same material caused the largest radioactive accident in the country's history."

https://g1.globo.com/al/alagoas/not...rro-velho.ghtml

(google translated article)

There's a podcast that I listen to that had a pretty good episode on this accident:
http://citationpod.com/category/episode-005-the-goiania-accident/

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

If a British tabloid told me the sky was blue I'd go outside and check before repeating it to someone else.

If you want an example of why, it's hard to go past The Hillsborough disaster

Edit: you should read the other parts of that page as well, the whole disaster was a massive clusterfuck of bad practices and disorganisation

GotLag fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 23, 2019

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://twitter.com/DCFurs/status/1087663240421593089

GotLag posted:

If a British tabloid told me the sky was blue I'd go outside and check before repeating it to someone else.

If you want an example of why, it's hard to go past The Hillsborough disaster

If you check out the Tuvia Grossman incident, I'm not sure the NYT and the AP would come out looking any better.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 23, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

This is OSHA as gently caress. Imagine having a gigantic industrial train race through the centre of your town every hour? Gee I'd hate for it to derail and potentially wipe out half the population.
Aside from that it sounds like horrible noise pollution, there are fuckin houses right along the tracks.
Shouldnt there be some kind of speed restrictions here? Are US mega-industries practicing poor health and safety to prioritise profits and minimise delays? Surely not!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ItVP2UAG2U

If you want to have some fun just google "(state) train derailment" and you'll find dozens of little reported industrial train disasters. Most news major media outlets only report passenger train derailments.
Then you got the big disasters like Lac-Megantic where 42 people were killed by a tsunami of flames when a train derailed.

I'd bet that train tracks were there before the houses but I don't have any money so :shrug:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Could this be the easiest way to dispose of large panes of glass? Smash them, sweep them up, and ship the results rather than trying to transport large oddly shaped fragile things.

No, because there's nothing efficient about sweeping things up. If you're going to be shipping something out as junk, you drop it in the container, not on the yard.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Trains continue to be OSHA. :piss:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvMl8LUzQnk

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
oh Norfolk Southern has lots of OSHA events capitured on cam.
It's good but not quite PG&E level.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nt3v2o-AQg

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The thumbnail version of this on a phone looks like he has a mullet. Extremely thread appropriate.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Phanatic posted:

If you check out the Tuvia Grossman incident, I'm not sure the NYT and the AP would come out looking any better.

Yeah that's totally on a par with The Sun actively helping the police cover up the fact that their incompetence led to almost 100 deaths :jerkbag:

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Already done over a decade ago in Jackass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIDPoH9kq_4

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
https://i.imgur.com/9L9YlHG.mp4

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A friend’s response to that. Possibly :nws: I guess? No nudity, just some lewd dancing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqn_0DQDuqI

Anyhow, seemed thread-appropriate.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'd bet that train tracks were there before the houses but I don't have any money so :shrug:

Yeah, a lot of the small towns and villages (and even some cities) are where they are BECAUSE of the rail line. Before interstate trucking was a thing, it was probably the fastest and most reliable way to get goods and supplies.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

We need to bring these two together.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Always remember to clean your filters :supaburn:

DrPossum posted:

and the one where the woman is firing sparks straight at her crotch.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

DrPossum posted:

I think that would be extraordinarily dangerous.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Phanatic posted:

I think that would be extraordinarily dangerous.

I love you.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

So why let this shitheap pollute for whatever time and start on fire with 700 gallons of flammable liquid?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I love the way you brit truckfucklers say "start" on fire.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Burt Sexual posted:

So why let this shitheap pollute for whatever time and start on fire with 700 gallons of flammable liquid?

That train looks to be a bunch of stock cars immediately behind the locomotive. This is how you create that delicious smokey bbq pork flavor.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

DiHK posted:

I love the way you brit truckfucklers say "start" on fire.

What, mate?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

It’s a diesel runaway, the engine has started to ingest its own lube oil. Not much you can do about it once it happens, especially with something with an air intake the size of a train’s.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Burt Sexual posted:

What, mate?

Wot?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Bad Munki posted:

A friend’s response to that. Possibly :nws: I guess? No nudity, just some lewd dancing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqn_0DQDuqI

Anyhow, seemed thread-appropriate.

She (or her uh... muse) used to be on Letterman a lot.... here's (I believe) her first appearance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcQqxTSqMKY