Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Oh, there are more than 50 levels. That's a good excuse as any to cheat me some materials. gently caress grinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I just got to the part where the plot sort of opened up, and I love how goofy this is, with all the cults and bizarre alien poo poo and what have you.

I don't really understand what the point is of the Assassin tree skill upgrade that reduces sound from movement/assassination. I don't think I've ever had an enemy notice me in a way that wasn't through direct sight, even without that talent. Maybe it only really helps at higher difficulties? I'm playing Normal (or whatever the default non-Easy option is). The one that makes enemy corpses disappear when assassinated is great, though.

The only fight I've had genuine trouble with so far was the fight against the giant boar. I had to temporary respec to combat to beat it. The giant deer I just recently fought wasn't nearly as hard, since it didn't have other deers helping it.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

the fight against the giant boar.

The boar is a rite of passage.

And a bastard.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
But the boar is the easiest one if you know how to cheat the fight

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I'm like 30 hours in and really liking the game, focused on the assassin tree. It's a blast tossing the spear and chain assassinating 3 dudes, then hero striking another, slowing time and quicksilvering down another 2. The only thing that I am annoyed by is poison damage. I have maxed points in both poison talents, and have like +150% poison damage on my gear, but it only ticks for like, 600 damage every 3 seconds. My normal light attack with a dagger hits for like 5K, and hero strike for at least 80K so the poison damage is pretty much completely negligible.

Is the vague "lowered enemy attributes and damage" actually worthwhile? Should I drop poisons and pick up fire damage instead?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Doom Rooster posted:

Is the vague "lowered enemy attributes and damage" actually worthwhile? Should I drop poisons and pick up fire damage instead?

I think thats the main sell of the poison skill. Fire is more direct damage per tick, but with the snake armor and as much points as you can into the weakening/intoxication effect, you can slap people around with ease while they're under the effects

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Doom Rooster posted:

I'm like 30 hours in and really liking the game, focused on the assassin tree. It's a blast tossing the spear and chain assassinating 3 dudes, then hero striking another, slowing time and quicksilvering down another 2. The only thing that I am annoyed by is poison damage. I have maxed points in both poison talents, and have like +150% poison damage on my gear, but it only ticks for like, 600 damage every 3 seconds. My normal light attack with a dagger hits for like 5K, and hero strike for at least 80K so the poison damage is pretty much completely negligible.

Yeah the lowered attributes and damage is worthwhile (especially if you are skilling Assassin). It's not really about the dot.

Just experiment a bit fighting with poison and without and you'll realise suddenly your damage against non-poisoned enemies is pretty anaemic.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Sweet. I'll stick with it then, I just wish it actually said "lowers damage by 20%" or whatever. I should be safe completely ignoring +% poison damage though, yeah? If it just helps the DoT, and the DoT is garbage, I am better off focusing on cit damage and %, dagger damage, etc...?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

So I just got to the part where the plot sort of opened up, and I love how goofy this is, with all the cults and bizarre alien poo poo and what have you.

I don't really understand what the point is of the Assassin tree skill upgrade that reduces sound from movement/assassination. I don't think I've ever had an enemy notice me in a way that wasn't through direct sight, even without that talent. Maybe it only really helps at higher difficulties? I'm playing Normal (or whatever the default non-Easy option is). The one that makes enemy corpses disappear when assassinated is great, though.

The only fight I've had genuine trouble with so far was the fight against the giant boar. I had to temporary respec to combat to beat it. The giant deer I just recently fought wasn't nearly as hard, since it didn't have other deers helping it.

Wait, which skill makes enemy corpses disappear when assassinated? I want that one asap!

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Doom Rooster posted:

Sweet. I'll stick with it then, I just wish it actually said "lowers damage by 20%" or whatever. I should be safe completely ignoring +% poison damage though, yeah? If it just helps the DoT, and the DoT is garbage, I am better off focusing on cit damage and %, dagger damage, etc...?

I don't know how the math works, but when I activate the poison in my daggers it also ups my normal damage, even before it builds enough to start poisoning enemies.

I think your physical damage become poison damage so those +% poison damage up the damage you do with melee and arrows when they're poisoned. Or something like that.

If anyone knows how the elemental damage mechanics actually work, can you explain it please? Because the game sure doesn't.

Arcturas posted:

Wait, which skill makes enemy corpses disappear when assassinated? I want that one asap!

You need the Legacy of the First Blade DLC to have it.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So to my surprise Cult members definitely exist in the world well before you uncover them. Accidentally just murdered a Sage because the little assassination bar popped up as I ran through town.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Mazz posted:

So to my surprise Cult members definitely exist in the world well before you uncover them. Accidentally just murdered a Sage because the little assassination bar popped up as I ran through town.

Yeah, there's a set running around as mercenaries and you can kill them early if you're in the right place.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

The corpse muncher skill is fun for a while, but eventually you'll want to spec out if it because it makes the game a little too easy and boring. Leaving presents for your enemies is fun also.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can get a lot of EZ kills against soldiers in forts by leaving the bodies around, since they'll very slowly begin to cart them off after awhile.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Looks like changes are in the works for the DLC, though no specifics yet: https://steamcommunity.com/games/812140/announcements/detail/1694944543849382999

Ubisoft posted:

Hey everyone,

After hearing player feedback and discussing within the development team we are making changes to a cutscene and some dialogue in Shadow Heritage to better reflect the nature of the relationship for players selecting a non-romantic storyline. These changes, along with renaming a trophy/achievement, are being made now and will be implemented in an upcoming patch.

We’ve also been carefully looking at the next episode, Bloodline, to ensure the paths that players experience mirror the choices they make in game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
As long as you're being roped into squirting out a kid for bloodline reasons, I'm still out. That poo poo is gross even if it's a regular part of these kinds of stories.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Cythereal posted:

As long as you're being roped into squirting out a kid for bloodline reasons, I'm still out. That poo poo is gross even if it's a regular part of these kinds of stories.

Yeah, it doesn't read as if the changes are going to be meaningful enough to let you avoid that BS. I'm not holding my breath.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

It's admittedly, more than my already low expectations. If I can hold my nose through it, I'll call it a win, since I already own the season pass I may as well play through it eventually. :shrug:

Their insistence on this stupid baby is not going to change sadly, so I think we're stuck with it existing so if they can write around it... I don't know. Is Darius's other kid alive? Maybe they'll make up for it by letting you romance the same gender other sibling.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It's probably not going to change my opinion that this DLC feels totally out of place with the rest of Odyssey, but depending on the context and comprehensiveness of the edits, it might turn into something I actually wanna play now.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Is the DLC/season pass worth it? Before or after finishing the main story?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

The fact that they're making an effort encourages me, I'm gonna feel a little bit better playing the game now, even if the situation is far from ideal.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Black Griffon posted:

The fact that they're making an effort encourages me, I'm gonna feel a little bit better playing the game now, even if the situation is far from ideal.

Oh I'm glad they're making an effort, but the fact that this is only happening after a loud backlash, and that apparently no one involved thought a vocal backlash would happen, does not inspire me.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

poisonpill posted:

Is the DLC/season pass worth it? Before or after finishing the main story?

You get a sweet ship flamethrower that actually owns in the second episode of the current DLC otherwise not really worth it yet, hoping the Atlantis DLC changes things up with a significant new play area.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Still a fat loving no from me, bruh. Sounds like they're still going to force you into babymaking no matter what, it'll just be less "oh my one true PROPER and totally STRAIGHT love because all that gay stuff was just a phase, I am so sad that you're gone now".

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cythereal posted:

The thing is, bloodline poo poo was never important to the stories. Every other Assassin just happened to have some sex after the big murdery phase of their lives. Bayek had his sex beforehand, and then his kid died, but the gimmick in Origins was Layla took blood from Bayek's mummy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mameluke posted:

The thing is, bloodline poo poo was never important to the stories. Every other Assassin just happened to have some sex after the big murdery phase of their lives. Bayek had his sex beforehand, and then his kid died, but the gimmick in Origins was Layla took blood from Bayek's mummy.

I more meant the Greek epic thing, but fair enough.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Still a fat loving no from me, bruh. Sounds like they're still going to force you into babymaking no matter what, it'll just be less "oh my one true PROPER and totally STRAIGHT love because all that gay stuff was just a phase, I am so sad that you're gone now".

Oh I agree that it's poo poo, and it's personal for me, but I'm willing to see exactly what they'll do. I'll probably be disappointed, but I've seen game companies spend way less effort to rectify things in the past.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I am getting hammered by late game mercs. Fiery dudes often kill me in 3 hits or so on Normal at level 60ish. This feels wrong somehow.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cythereal posted:

I more meant the Greek epic thing, but fair enough.

Well, if we're doing a Greek epic, Kass could just be stricken by madness and murder her whole family herself. That's one of the most dangerous things about being a demigod, you know.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Mameluke posted:

Well, if we're doing a Greek epic, Kass could just be stricken by madness and murder her whole family herself. That's one of the most dangerous things about being a demigod, you know.

Isn’t that basically the Deimos plot you stop?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Can't murder my family if I murder them all first!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Cythereal posted:

Oh I'm glad they're making an effort, but the fact that this is only happening after a loud backlash, and that apparently no one involved thought a vocal backlash would happen, does not inspire me.

Eh, as far as being a bit obtuse on recognizing their fuckup, who can say they haven't been an idiot about something they really should have known better on until it was hammered into them? They made a mistake, but admitting your fuckup needs to be encouraged, not discounted because they shouldn't have needed to be told.

Everyone needs to be told from time to time.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I’m curious how much they’ll be able to change dialogue. I’m guessing the actors might still be in the studio for the Atlantis DLC, but re-recording any significant portion of dialogue won’t be cheap or easy for anyone involved.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

The achievement for unveiling the entire map took way too drat long.

Now i’m going for all quests. I tried to look online to see how many quests in total the game has, but I found no answers. It could be one zillion.

I love how HDRy this game is (xb1x). Might be the most HDR using game out right now. The game looks stunning during dusk and bright tropical areas.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Game really needs you to be able to save multiple skill presets. I'm at the point where I'm starting to fill out the gear sets but there's no reason to move away from the poison set I've been wearing since level 20 because reskilling everything just so I can put the Greek Heroes set on for a boss fights is a lot of effort.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I've made an utterly insane fire set, combining everything that even mentions fire in a footnote, and switching from that is gonna be such a bother, so I'm with you.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Game really needs you to be able to save multiple skill presets. I'm at the point where I'm starting to fill out the gear sets but there's no reason to move away from the poison set I've been wearing since level 20 because reskilling everything just so I can put the Greek Heroes set on for a boss fights is a lot of effort.

Ya if this isn't the most-requested feature by now idk what the community is doing.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I just got some club of everlasting fire from a merc. It turns all normal attacks into fire attacks :stare:

Insane.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

It's pretty good, but seeing as the top fire skill on the warrior tree lets you keep the fire going perpetually as long as you press the button it's not that big of a deal. I keep the constant fire bow in my inventory though because setting fire to tents is very fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I’m trying to get the tier 1 merc achievement, and i’ve maxex out my wanted level and i’ve killed so drat many bounty hunters and still im not getting it. It seems endless.