Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

If you've got a known battery, give it a shot with that. Even with jumper cables off a decent battery mine still clicked away. Couldn't manouvre a running car to it due to where it was parked annoyingly. Worth 15 minutes of your time to test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
What OM said.

Just hooking up jumpers may not be enough. I helped a neighbor jump their rav4 once, and had to rev the snot out of our car to get enough juice for the rav to even turn over.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Huh, good to know, might try it after I sleep.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Humphreys posted:

I don't have any word back on the cool job that I would have to relocate for.

I just got word back from a cool job that I would have relocated for this morning. Apparently, they were looking for someone with an Oracle cert for a job that "Directs and leads a major segment of the IT organization specific to the financial systems." Seems legit. I think most the time there is an absolute disconnect between HR and the division they are hiring for, at least that's been my experience.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

AnnoyBot posted:

Funny- I see more external hiring for senior positions than I do promotions. This is Silicon Valley, medium size companies. Case in point: me (passed over for promo, got promo'd on job hop last month). Though it's also true that it was who I knew.

It's kind of a sad state of things in IT that you are much more likely to get a raise/promotion by changing companies than internal. Your old company will then pay your replacement more, while losing your knowledge. It's stupid, but it's the (HR) mentality.

STR posted:

(and goddamnit now I have Tool stuck in my head... more than the usual amount of tool)

There's a joke here about tools stuck in places that I want to make, but I'm not sure how tasteless I want to appear.

keykey posted:

I just got word back from a cool job that I would have relocated for this morning. Apparently, they were looking for someone with an Oracle cert for a job that "Directs and leads a major segment of the IT organization specific to the financial systems." Seems legit. I think most the time there is an absolute disconnect between HR and the division they are hiring for, at least that's been my experience.

HR is largely useless in most organizations, but has managed to make itself somehow necessary nonetheless.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Darchangel posted:

HR is largely useless in most organizations, but has managed to make itself somehow necessary nonetheless.

Worthless to the employees, invaluable to the corporation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Our HR is not terrible but mostly useless.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
We're only a 120-person shop so our HR is one person who's not even a full-time employee but rather an HR contractor.

She's helpful, and pleasant, but I still don't want to ever have to deal with HR for any kind of Serious Personal Business because of all the horror stories I've heard. I'd hope that the contractor thing would disconnect her from any "corporate loyalty" bullshit, but... eehhhhhh.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

I'd hope that the contractor thing would disconnect her from any "corporate loyalty" bullshit, but... eehhhhhh.

Yeah, that whole HR being disconnected from corporate loyalty thing goes right out the windows as soon as they get their first paycheck from said place of business. The same thing happens here too, a few years ago they made everybody in HR management level so they are disconnected from both teachers/classified unions and surprise surprise, they are unanimously loyal to the management side of the house, whodathunk it?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Kazinsal posted:

I'd hope that the contractor thing would disconnect her from any "corporate loyalty" bullshit, but... eehhhhhh.

As a newbie contractor there have been times I would stab a child for a chance at a contract renewal.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Make no mistakes HR is there to protect the company, employee assistance/protection is a distant second.

God drat, why do I even try to sell poo poo online? Just to email back and forth with mouth breathing idiots?

Here is my ad:

quote:

Selling my old vintage Commodore 64 with 1541 drive. NOT INCLUDING THE MONITOR. In storage for near 25 years but recently powered on and tested, works perfectly fine!

I will note though while it works I strongly recommend buying a modern power supply as the original units have a habit of putting out excess voltage and may damage the computer over time. These are available online for a reasonable price. I am including a high end Kraft joystick and a reebok shoebox full of floppies/games along with a couple boxed games (Sublogic FS2 and Gunship) and a Battlezone cartridge. Also including some blank 5.25" floppies. Please note again, THE 1702 MONITOR IS NOT INCLUDED.

Replies:

Is it still for sale?

Includes the monitor?

r u includinng games?? (actual grammar)

available?

Including a joystick?

monitor?

still available?

fuuuuckkkk :suicide:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

slidebite posted:

Replies:

Is it still for sale?

available?

still available?

I can't get mad about this, because I've met more than my fair share of online sellers who don't delete their ads.

Also, if you click the "contact seller" button on FB Marketplace, it sends a "Is this still available?" message, and people get sooooo angry.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Make no mistakes HR is there to protect the company, employee assistance/protection is a distant second.

God drat, why do I even try to sell poo poo online? Just to email back and forth with mouth breathing idiots?

Here is my ad:

Replies:

Is it still for sale?

Includes the monitor?

r u includinng games?? (actual grammar)

available?

Including a joystick?

monitor?

still available?

fuuuuckkkk :suicide:

Kijiji is so loving bad. I can only imagine how bad Facebook Marketplace is because that's even less friction for the mouthbreather caste.

I could do with some blank 5.25" floppies, if you end up getting frustrated and want to part out your sale even further :v:. I don't know if the unlabeled ones I have here have something worth archiving on them, and haven't had a chance to set up my 1541 to check yet.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Central Florida goons: tell me about Polk County.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Is it still for sale?

available?

still available?

I’d like to think of these as an opener for negotiations, which I will allow. Wouldn’t ever use it myself, but I’ll give people a pass.

The questions that are straight up answered in the ad body... gently caress that poo poo.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Are the monitors particularly valuable or something?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bolind posted:

I’d like to think of these as an opener for negotiations, which I will allow. Wouldn’t ever use it myself, but I’ll give people a pass.

I'll generally try my best to find some aspect of the item that isn't explicitly in a description or photo and ask a question about it, but failing that there's not many better ways to start communication here. It's certainly better than just saying "Hi".

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've gotten good deals on Kijiji simply by replying in clear full sentences.

It's a cesspool out there, my trick is usually pricing something nice and high and letting them bargain me down to a more reasonable number. Seems to keep the worst replies at bay and the eventual buyer is happy with bargaining me down. This does presume you're not in a rush to sell though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Dagen H posted:

I can't get mad about this, because I've met more than my fair share of online sellers who don't delete their ads.

Also, if you click the "contact seller" button on FB Marketplace, it sends a "Is this still available?" message, and people get sooooo angry.
Totally 100% get your point, but what I didn't copy/paste in my listing above was that I actually have this in the ad in the area where I have my price and area where I live:

quote:

If ad is up, it's available
Sorry for not mentioning earlier :shobon:

mariooncrack posted:

Are the monitors particularly valuable or something?
Not especially "valuable", but the 1702 is a good quality, well made CRT and has what amounts to s-video inputs via RCA (Chroma/luma) and great for retrogaming which I why I want to keep it. They're also no stupid crazy heavy and have handles for portability which is kind of nice. Commodore made monitors better than they deserve to. Between the 1702 and 1804, they were excellent.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

Sorry for not mentioning earlier :shobon:

I've seen far too many people who have this in their listing... not take the ad down.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

It's really not hard to remove ads, it's only a few button clicks and you can do it from the app as well. I have no idea why nobody takes their poo poo down after it's sold.

The Kijiji app is surprising better than the website for doing a national search, honestly pretty happy with how the app works for searching, browsing, and posting ads.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've seen far too many people who have this in their listing... not take the ad down.
They should be shot. gently caress people that do that. Just like contacting a seller that says "Will get back to you".... a week ago and never hear a thing.

Got back from doctor visit. Annual physical. Blood work perfectly normal, blood pressure down, lost 12 lbs since November :feelsgood: which in all reality probably means 12lbs since new years because no loving way I lost weight over Christmas/New Years.

I'll count my blessings to be a mid-40s guy that loves meat, deep fried stuff, the demon liquor (still doing dry January though), salty snack foods, candy, ice cream (sometimes to the point of gluttony), basically do not eat a well balanced diet more often than not but still have great cholesterol/lipids and blood sugar levels. One of the few things I think I lucked out with is genes in that regard I guess.

Now, if I can just get this hamstring and sore back issue put away for good I'll be a happy camper.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Not especially "valuable", but the 1702 is a good quality, well made CRT and has what amounts to s-video inputs via RCA (Chroma/luma) and great for retrogaming which I why I want to keep it. They're also no stupid crazy heavy and have handles for portability which is kind of nice. Commodore made monitors better than they deserve to. Between the 1702 and 1804, they were excellent.

Commodore signed crazy deals with all kinds of CRT manufacturers because I think their Japanese/European sales guys got bored and had no oversight whatsoever. JVC made the 1701/1702 (maybe a holdover from some work on the VIC-20), and I think Philips made the 1084.

It is sort of funny how many corners they cut on the actual computer, but the high-margin peripherals are primo.

I love my 1702 but it needs some work, maybe even a recap.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Commodore signed crazy deals with all kinds of CRT manufacturers because I think their Japanese/European sales guys got bored and had no oversight whatsoever. JVC made the 1701/1702 (maybe a holdover from some work on the VIC-20), and I think Philips made the 1084.

It is sort of funny how many corners they cut on the actual computer, but the high-margin peripherals are primo.

I love my 1702 but it needs some work, maybe even a recap.

Daewoo made some 1084s, usually given the model of 1084D

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Dagen H posted:

Flee, flee and never look back.

The florida thread has a ton of central florida goons. Beware of naked chefs though. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032523&pagenumber=462&perpage=40

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dagen H posted:

Polk stands for People Of Little Knowledge, hth.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
oh yeah there's a chat thread...

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Dagen H posted:

Polk county is the county that Florida man makes fun of.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Polk stands for People Of Little Knowledge, hth.

ExplodingSims posted:

Polk county is the county that Florida man makes fun of.

Going on 47 years of rural Ohio poverty and surrounded by an opiate crisis. You don't scare me.

Elmnt80 posted:

The florida thread has a ton of central florida goons. Beware of naked chefs though. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032523&pagenumber=462&perpage=40

I made an e/n effortpost, if anyone cares.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Real talk, if you dont mind country living, Lake County has some nice places for that, like Tavares, Euistis, or maybe even Groveland and Mascotte.

Orange County is probably the best county to live in, at least as far as having a functional government goes, and theres also some places in there that might have what you're looking for.

Christmas has kinda cheap living, but you said you're looking to avoid depression, so maybe not what you're looking for.

Bithlo has a racetrack! :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sebring is a nice rural town imo and is probably pretty cheap to live in, with the bonus of having the 12 hour race every year in your back yard.

But then today there was a standoff at a bank in Sebring and 5 people were killed :(

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I think south Australia has moved to the outskirts of Mercury today... 46.9 degrees C in the city centre, 48.2 in Pt augusta!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I hooked up the jumper cables to the ol' trusty Impreza and just got clicks out of it. No RuurRuurRuur of the thing trying to turn over.

But who loving knows. I'm sure there are a thousand catastrophes it could be.

If the battery is really low on charge it will need a few minutes to absorb enough to start the car. If it's stone dead it's likely that it won't be able to take anything and is hosed. What's the voltage of your flat battery?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Ferremit posted:

I think south Australia has moved to the outskirts of Mercury today... 46.9 degrees C in the city centre, 48.2 in Pt augusta!

Jesus. I was about to complain about a measly 40.4 in Melbourne today. Tomorrow we're forecast for 44, and I have to wear a suit and walk around :flame:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

DNS server system has gone tits up at work so that's like 5k+ people affected here today not including the students. Whoops. Those with non-managed machines can get around it by just using Google's DNS but staff machines are managed because staff don't need access to break things more than they already do.

Sadly the phones haven't broken so I'm answering a call every minute or so about the issue. :/

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I lived in Seminole county, which is just North of Orange. It was not bad.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

fridge corn posted:

If the battery is really low on charge it will need a few minutes to absorb enough to start the car. If it's stone dead it's likely that it won't be able to take anything and is hosed. What's the voltage of your flat battery?

I couldn't tell ya, but I can say that the thing started up yesterday and today. So when it warmed up a bit the car started. I mean, it was nine loving degrees outside when it didn't start. Still, gonna have to check the battery and the starter, but no big deal, it's time for the regular inspection anyway.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you wanna live im warm fucksss nowhere for cheap why not consider the Southwest? Less humid, no bugs, better scenery.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I couldn't tell ya, but I can say that the thing started up yesterday and today. So when it warmed up a bit the car started. I mean, it was nine loving degrees outside when it didn't start. Still, gonna have to check the battery and the starter, but no big deal, it's time for the regular inspection anyway.

quote:

According to AAA's Automotive Research Center, at 0°F, a car's battery loses about 60 percent of its strength and at 32°F it loses 35 percent. During cold temperatures starting an engine can take up to twice as much current as needed under normal conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Gotta say, the Impreza has only ever not started when it had been sitting for a few weeks. Fired right up yesterday. I love that car.