Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
White nationalists having a normal one in the Puget Sound https://www.theolympian.com/news/local/article224028925.html#storylink=latest_side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Viaduct closed.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

What is the point of little baggies on people's lawns. Like does that really intimidate someone into, what not voting?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Spergin Morlock posted:

Viaduct closed.

:smithicide:

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

pseudanonymous posted:

What is the point of little baggies on people's lawns. Like does that really intimidate someone into, what not voting?

I think it's just to scare people. I saw neos do this in my old city a couple of years ago.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

when i lived in az landscaping companies would do this with their business cards. it's so the wind doesn't blow it away

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Spergin Morlock posted:

Viaduct closed.

Or with the old death trap, in with the new death trap!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Imagine getting stuck in the tunnel right where the old Seneca off ramp used to be.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Cool, measles outbreak in King County.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Sounds like Clark County is the trend setter for once.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I can only hope this current wave of outbreaks of diseases that we as a society have literally solved will be the final straw that gets us mandatory vaccination laws without exceptions or limiting it to just public school kids.

Who am I kidding though, that's not what happens in this timeline.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Javid posted:

I can only hope this current wave of outbreaks of diseases that we as a society have literally solved will be the final straw that gets us mandatory vaccination laws without exceptions or limiting it to just public school kids.

There are, unfortunately, a growing number of peoplen on both sides of the political spectrum who are against vaccines.

I do not disagree it would be nice to see vaccines be mandatory, except for medically necessary exemptions or complications.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I still don’t understand why it’s not considered child abuse to deny your children vaccinations without medical reasons.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Javid posted:

Have you heard the good news about charter schools?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Solkanar512 posted:

I still don’t understand why it’s not considered child abuse to deny your children vaccinations without medical reasons.

The same reason why you're allowed to mutilate a child's genitals: ~freedom~

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

If anyone followed the teachers' strikes in SW Washington last August, you might be interested to know that the support staff for Vancouver Public Schools may go on strike tomorrow if negotiations fail to reach am agreement. A tentative agreement on a raise had be entered but then the school district asked that the 1.5%/year COLA be struck from the contract language add "housekeeping," since obviously the raise was negotiated instead of having cost of living apartments, and not on top of off it. This was of course not the understanding that the union had, because why the gently caress even bother to have a union if you aren't going to get COLAs going forward?

The support staff union includes people like the secretaries and educational assistants (para-educators). The teachers and janitors unions have said that they will not cross the picket line. If the school district doesn't decide to cancel classes, the teachers will go unpaid for any missed days. Not sure about janitors but I would guess they won't get paid either way.

During the teacher's strike the union construction workers refused to cross the line and most of the construction around the district ground to a halt.

I'm concerned about the school levy on the ballot because the public may see another strike and blame the teachers or the school district and decide to punish them at the polls for Superintendent Webb's shitshow. Teachers would be losing hundreds of dollars a month in pay and a lot of programs would be cut if that happens.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
What do people in Clark County hate more...vaccines or taxes?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Looks like they reached an agreement. Which is good since I doubt Clark County voters would have reacted well to another strike.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

therobit posted:

Looks like they reached an agreement. Which is good since I doubt Clark County voters would have reacted well to another strike.

I don't know why people's brains work the way they do, but the fact that so many people can look at an under-resourced system and go "no more resources for you til you fix these problems!!!"

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

xrunner posted:

I don't know why people's brains work the way they do, but the fact that so many people can look at an under-resourced system and go "no more resources for you til you fix these problems!!!"

They public in general is not that educated about the inner workings of a school district and what they are required to do and provide. The public also likely does not understand that when they were growing up, the answer to, say, special ed kids or ESL kids was "That's too bad, but it isn't our problem, " and now the answer is that we must spend lots of extra money on them and that eats into the budget.

What they do understand is that ther district seems to be dysfunctional if the after two strikes in less than a year and possibly more coming when additional contracts come up for renegotiation. People might also think, "Steven Webb makes over 300k per year and had a shower installed in his office so why are you paying someone that much and not spending the money we already gave you responsibly?"

And to be frank, from what I have heard from insiders the school district has poor financial controls and money that is earmarked to be spent on one issue gets spent elsewhere and nobody knows where it went.

The district has over $33MM in a rainy day fund and had been given additional money from the legislature this year. The current problem does not appear to be a lack of funds, but rather a failure of negotiation. I personally blame Webb's administration for being stingy with employees and failing to manage things properly.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Every single conservative leaning person I've ever talked to about poo poo like this thinks all the problems come from superintendents being overpaid an terrible at their job, and if all the district administration wasn't so greedy then the district could have everything they needed. Coin toss on whether or not they also think teachers have cushy overpaid gigs too or victims of the greedy system.

I think there is a small small modicum of truth to that, in that a lot of admins are probably a bit bloated and it's insane to have such a massive difference between high admin pay and what the people on the ground doing the actual work make, but that's literally every industry, everywhere in the United States, so claiming that those things need to be fixed before we can do such pie in the sky things as "lower class sizes" "fix leaky roofs" and "pay teachers a living wage" are absolutely absurd and I think what most of them really want are to gut the administrations and keep everything else lovely as hell.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

"I think vaccines cause autism"
- Parent raising their kids in the Tacoma smelter plume

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

DrNutt posted:

Every single conservative leaning person I've ever talked to about poo poo like this thinks all the problems come from superintendents being overpaid an terrible at their job, and if all the district administration wasn't so greedy then the district could have everything they needed. Coin toss on whether or not they also think teachers have cushy overpaid gigs too or victims of the greedy system.

I think there is a small small modicum of truth to that, in that a lot of admins are probably a bit bloated and it's insane to have such a massive difference between high admin pay and what the people on the ground doing the actual work make, but that's literally every industry, everywhere in the United States, so claiming that those things need to be fixed before we can do such pie in the sky things as "lower class sizes" "fix leaky roofs" and "pay teachers a living wage" are absolutely absurd and I think what most of them really want are to gut the administrations and keep everything else lovely as hell.

They should pay teachers, custodians, support staff etc.. more. Admins are not overpaid, you have to pay market wages for the type of job it is. We can have another conversation about managers, in general, being overpaid, but currently what someone in the private sector would make doing what an administrator does should be the benchmark.

This conservative talking point that people in public service should make less is just stupid bullshit.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Teachers should be paid like NFL ball-throwers honestly

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Teachers in VPS are actually pretty well compensated compared to their peers elsewhere. You would have to go to NY, California, or Connecticut to match it. Maybe Alaska too. The support staff would be ok if they had ther option of working great round, but given they are hourly but lose all that time during breaks, it ends up not really being enough money and is pretty hard to find other employment for two months a year. They for sure need a raise.

School janitors make more than their private sector counterparts, have benefits, and tend to work year round. It's actually a decent job for someone with little education doing unskilled labor.

Honestly I think that 150k or 175k should be plenty for a superintendent. 254k (I was wrong earlier when I said 300) puts Webb making quite a bit more than the governor, as well as most other superintendents. Even then I wouldn't bitch about it except Webb fights really hard to pay his employees less so gently caress him.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Unskilled labor doesn't exist

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Unskilled labor doesn't exist

I do too exist.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
https://www.vox.com/2019/1/27/18199514/measles-outbreak-2018-clark-county-washington

Any chance we see a response in the legislature over our dumb exemption policies?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Solkanar512 posted:

https://www.vox.com/2019/1/27/18199514/measles-outbreak-2018-clark-county-washington

Any chance we see a response in the legislature over our dumb exemption policies?

If only idiots and their offspring could catch it, I would say let them have it. But since innocent people can get sick and die even if they had the vaccine, I think it's a legitimate societal problem/solution.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Throwing kids to the wolves because their parents are poo poo is pretty hosed up anyway.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
There is apparently a bill submitted by Paul Harris (R-Vancouver) to get rid of the personal exemption.

It sounds like a great start.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

porkface posted:

If only idiots and their offspring could catch it, I would say let them have it. But since innocent people can get sick and die even if they had the vaccine, I think it's a legitimate societal problem/solution.

I have no idea why you can't sue the parents for damages for choosing not to vaccinate their kid if it gets your kid sick.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

pseudanonymous posted:

I have no idea why you can't sue the parents for damages for choosing not to vaccinate their kid if it gets your kid sick.

Most parents that dont vaccinate are super poor so you probably aren't gonna get anything.

Edit: just as I open the IoSM thread...

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1090...ingawful.com%2F

Whoops, nevermind!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Lazy headline. More educated, sure. Obviously not better educated.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Are there any studies on why affluent and "well educated" people fall for hokum fw:fw:fw: style Facebook garbage from places like Natural News etc? I'd be interested to see what's up with that because based on my Facebook timeline it seems like something that is pretty common for both left and right wing types, which is a little surprising but given that's anecdotal it may not mean anything at all.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

pseudanonymous posted:

It is very hard to prove in a court of law who got you sick.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I feel like it's the same people who also fall for get rich quick schemes and MLMs. They really think they found some secret way to get ahead or in this case, to make their kid better than your kid.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

silicone thrills posted:

I feel like it's the same people who also fall for get rich quick schemes and MLMs. They really think they found some secret way to get ahead or in this case, to make their kid better than your kid.

It's weird as gently caress. Most of the people I know who get sucked into MLM scams are people that I would normally consider fairly intelligent. But there's all types of smart and stupid I guess.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It's believable because honestly, megacorps HAVE done things as actively evil as vaccines are alleged to be in order to make money. The fact that this particular accusation is provably untrue is a pretty genuine statistical outlier.

I'm guessing it clusters in affluent populations because, among other factors, poor people can't afford the kind of doctors that will play along with their delusions that little Braeydyn was perfect until they were given :siren:the chemicals:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I get that having a child is difficult to begin with and having a child with autism can make that even more difficult and stressful but it has always bothered me that people would apparently rather their child die from an easily preventable disease than be diagnosed with autism (doubly so since there's a zero percent chance that a vaccine will give a child autism).