Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Morpheus posted:

It's got the worst part of traitor games though. Literally every game is zero-information, gut reaction voting with nothing to help you out.

Literally the only people who know anything are the bad guys and the person who checks someone else's role, who is probably a bad guy anyway, there's no way to know anything about what he's saying, so whatever he's saying can't be trusted anyway and so must be disregarded. The best strategy in the game is for Hitler to stay quiet the entire time and play like a good guy in every way until he's elected chancellor and wins. I've played close to a dozen games and this has been the way that the bad guys have won 100% of the time.

It's a bad game unless all you want to do is yell at people and accuse them of being Hitler, which, if that's what you want, great.

Edit: Thought this was the board game thread for a second, got very confused.

Counterpoint: it's good and fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
How's Langrisser? I saw the global release happened today.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's fun. If you feel that Fire Emblem Heroes is too constrained/simple/powercrept, then Langrisser absolutely feels like a breath of fresh air. Maps are bigger, characters are more diverse and there's more strategic options available, the music is rocking and the character design is so incredibly 90's it's pouring out of the screen.

Buuut I would recommend waiting just a couple of hours, they're doing a hotfix to remove a thing. Basically, whenever anyone wrote something into the chat option, it would be displayed for all players as scrolling text across the screen. They'll remove that any time from now until 10 am cst (This is different from the Banter, scrolling text that shows up when you start a new map, which you can turn off by clicking on a button on the lower left).

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Langrisser is alright. The game feels very generic and I can't tell if Langrisser was always generic, I never played the old games, so I don't know if the completely forgettable writing is part of the parcel. Or the hard gay stereotypes in 2019.

The gameplay seems okay so far, it's got bigger maps than Fire Emblem Heroes (FEH). Maps go by fairly quick, but not as fast as FEH.

Really, this game feels like it looked at FEH, went "okay, people don't like that so don't do that" and then forgot to bring anything beyond improvements to that. Considering the marketing for it, it really has a chip on it's shoulders about FEH.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I really like Langrisser. Its what FEH should have been, and I like the occasional 4th wall breaking dialogue. They responded to the major complaint about the game within 24 hours of launch, which is admirable, so I'm going to give them a fair shake. They are not reroll friendly, so if you're coming in expecting to reroll a thousand times to get the super duper mega team on day 1 you can forget about it.

Also, I need friends. I'm on the Baldea server (not sure if that matters, it just put me here), name is Gavin Windborn.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Jury is still out on it for me. I'm going to give a fair shot, but so far it just hasn't really clicked.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
I found this little gem that I've been playing for the past games: The Vigil Files: Case 1. It's basically one of those semi-ARG investigation games. You have to consult the app to get mail or message other users, look up information in the database or make calls. But sometimes, you'll also have to visit websites in the browser, possibly do some hacking here and there. It's also real-time, so sometimes you'll have to wait until knowing what the next step is going to be.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I commented on Troll Patrol and got this
back:

So maybe there is hope! Because yeah this game is basically Dungeon Raid.

Calsonic
Apr 13, 2008

I'm really liking Langrisser. It feels like a deeper FEH to me.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Calsonic posted:

I'm really liking Langrisser. It feels like a deeper FEH to me.

Goon Guild?

My hero name is Diomedes

On Rayguard.

Mile'ionaha fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 23, 2019

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Mile'ionaha posted:

Goon Guild?

My hero code is 1128623406652608341

On Rayguard.

I *think* we need your actual character name but I'm not 100% sure.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

back:

Glad to see active development on this. Bout time we get a spiritual successor to the best android game

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

New Leaf posted:

I *think* we need your actual character name but I'm not 100% sure.

Diomedes, then.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

back:

I went ahead and gave this an install, it looks pretty much like 10,000,000?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Terper posted:

It's fun. If you feel that Fire Emblem Heroes is too constrained/simple/powercrept, then Langrisser absolutely feels like a breath of fresh air. Maps are bigger, characters are more diverse and there's more strategic options available, the music is rocking and the character design is so incredibly 90's it's pouring out of the screen.

Buuut I would recommend waiting just a couple of hours, they're doing a hotfix to remove a thing. Basically, whenever anyone wrote something into the chat option, it would be displayed for all players as scrolling text across the screen. They'll remove that any time from now until 10 am cst (This is different from the Banter, scrolling text that shows up when you start a new map, which you can turn off by clicking on a button on the lower left).

Chat is now hidden unless you want to see it, for anyone who was avoiding Langrisser because of that.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
So that new mobile Alien game that's coming out this week plays like... Five Nights At Freddy's?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgxDizdHi-g

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
You expected them to come up with something original?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

BoldFace posted:

You expected them to come up with something original?

I think a lot of people were expecting it to be a very pared down version of Alien: Isolation. This actually looks somewhat interesting.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I remember thinking, as smart phones started to become mainstream, that an age in which everyone carried a computer in their pocket would lead to a revolution in video games. Instead it lead to a revolution in monetization schemes and addiction cultivation.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Troll Patrol just updated. I managed to get 3 upgrades before the first boss, feels better now.

Edit: yeah upgrades come much faster now, this is alot better. Give it another shot if you bailed already.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 24, 2019

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I unlocked the first normal class and am currently on something like a 2000+ turn run. Considering suicide because I've unlocked everything else, but I figure I might as well keep going.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ponzicar posted:

I remember thinking, as smart phones started to become mainstream, that an age in which everyone carried a computer in their pocket would lead to a revolution in video games. Instead it lead to a revolution in monetization schemes and addiction cultivation.

I always think about the Nokia N-Gage and how hard people riffed on the idea of gaming on a phone at the time.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

mrkillboy posted:

So that new mobile Alien game that's coming out this week plays like... Five Nights At Freddy's?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgxDizdHi-g

To be fair, it plays more like Night Trap than FNAF.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

the_steve posted:

I always think about the Nokia N-Gage and how hard people riffed on the idea of gaming on a phone at the time.

I mean look at this loving thing though. And that was aside from sidetalkin'.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

One of the big problems facing phones as gaming devices is that unless you have a peripheral device, you're going to be limited in how good your controls can be. The touchscreen itself is less comfortable and gives less feedback that you're touching a control surface than even the earliest joysticks. Not to mention anything from the NES-era up where controllers started to become way more sophisticated and where the hardware was good enough to respond quickly to the controls.

The other big issue of course is that it's way easier to clone an idea that works (aka is simple as possible and makes money) that someone else has done rather than try and improve and build upon the rich history that games have. And even in gatcha-style games, something like GBF which at least reached the level of early Final Fantasies with having actual RPG combat that actually matters, which I feel built off of Puzzle and Dragons which gave lip service to having actual gameplay that eventually got subsumed to them just adding mechanics to new gatcha draws to beat new content in lieu of letting the old draws stay relevant-- we ended up with FGO as the new popular juggernaut which is a huge step back in terms of game mechanics. And it's got horrible gatcha rates, so what does that tell companies? Gameplay doesn't matter as long as you have jpeg waifus that show a lot of skin and cater to various fetishes.

Slay the Spire is another example that blew up kind of recently where it's a popular game that got cloned a bunch and all the clones aren't nearly as good-- and even Slay the Spire isn't that great compared to some other actual card games on the market not to mention some of the other similar card-based mobile phone pseudo-roguelike games. This happens with board games and TRPGs too. Dungeons and Dragons (Even before the d20/pf explosion) is the huge elephant for the latter, and things like d100 Dungeon or 4 Against Darkness which aren't even as good as Deathmaze/Citadel of Blood from like the 70s for the former where it feels like they come up with this interesting idea and then don't actually look to see if it's done before and see what lessons they can learn to make a better game. And if it sells or becomes popular, there's no incentive to do that.

Gann Jerrod posted:

To be fair, it plays more like Night Trap than FNAF.

This was my first impression seeing that gameplay video as well.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Potsticker posted:

Slay the Spire isn't that great compared to some other actual card games on the market not to mention some of the other similar card-based mobile phone pseudo-roguelike games.
Which ones please, I need more games.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Osmosisch posted:

Which ones please, I need more games.

Mini Rogue is one of the best. An absolute miniscule number of components, only 9 cards plus counters and dice. Lots of replayability and fairly open to hacking if you're the type that likes to customize your games a bit.

Tiny Epic Defenders There's a couple of good games in the Tiny Epic line, but they fit in different genres. Defenders recently got a new edition with some rules updates that really fixed a lot of the issues the previous version had.

Escape the Dark Castle This is one is a bit of the whole "Great art, less great gameplay" sort. Still there's some interesting gameplay to be had. If you're interested in these style of games it's definitely one to look at at the very least.

Magic Realm Light 30 Stretching the genre of these games a little, but Magic Realm is such a huge, amazing game that's really complicated to get into and this does a pretty good job of simplifying the systems and making them more accessible in a smaller package. A good entry way into the real thing, which is definitely more on the board game and less on the card game side of things.

Airborne in my Pocket Again, going a little off track here, this time it's a tile-based game instead of cards-- though in this case they're basically the same. Airborne in specific rather than the original Zombie in my Pocket or any of the other spin offs due to the sheer number of expansions it's gotten that can change the game in a bunch of interesting ways. Definitely a great example of taking a simple concept and really playing with the space it provides.

Star Trek Dice Game is a spinoff of Deep Space D6, and like the titles suggest, are more dice-based than card based, though they both contain a decent amount of cards, the Star Trek one almost ridiculously so. But it's service to providing a really good game experience. As with AimP, the spin-off does a really good job of building on a basic formula to provide a much richer gameplay experience.

And in case here in the Android thread you were talking about Android games:

Card Crawl is maybe the best card-based one I've played overall, but that's not saying much because I think that's it's still worse than pretty much every board game I listed and isn't as good as some of the non-card games I'm going to include on this list. I also sometimes get the mechanics mixed up with the ones from the next game on the list.

Solitairica I remember as being slower than Card Crawl in terms of progression, but not as slow as Slay the Spire. It's not great, but if you like this genre you might find something here to enjoy for a while.

Finesoft gets a link to everything they've made because there's a lot of good stuff here with a variety of playstiles. Something like Power 100,000 or more likely Union Attack are probably the ones you want to look at first in specific. I'm even going to straight up link Union Attack because that's the one I personally played the longest.

Dice Heroes Obviously this is dice-based rather than card-based, but I found it decent enough. It's also more of a strategy game which I'm not super into these days. Still, I found the game to be pretty well made so it gets onto the list for that.

Card Thief This is probably one of the better games that plays around with the card format done by the same person/people as Card Crawl. This one plays to a more specific theme and is much simpler in return. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does mean that it might not have as much of a shelf life depending on your tastes.

Mystic Castle This popped up in my list and I was reminded about the post I made not too long ago about people ripping of A Dark Room. This is probably the least bad offender and I spent a decent time playing it. The microtransactions existing rubbed me the wrong way, but they were easily ignorable for the time I played.

Veritas LCD This is a pretty good loving game that people should play. It's like an old Tiger Electronics game, but imagine instead they made one that wasn't just a lovely IP cash-in? (Actually, there's a few LCD games that did do some amazing things, but they were very few and far between) The worst thing I have to say about this game is that you have to collect all of the mcguffins to complete the game, and one you can only discover by old-school checking every wall or-- noticing that the location is revealed in the PV.

There's another game I can't find the link to / name at the moment, but it was playing regular Solitaire where you travelled around a node-based world map and could upgrade things like the number of free cells you got. That one took my time for a while, more so than some of the other titles in this list. I don't see it in my play store list, though and I can't remember the exact title.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Thanks a lot, that's a great list, and I really appreciate the effort.

Unfortunately our tastes don't line up at all, I've played most of the games you listed, and think Slay the Spire is way more fun than any of them, with only Mini Rogue coming close. I think it boils down to how simple/elegant a game should be to enjoy; or perhaps how much of a game's enjoyment derives from the pure mechanical interactions vs. bespoke content (with Slay leaning more on the latter).

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Besides Solitarica, Meteorfall has been my favorite card game on Android and people compare it to Slay the Spire in the comments

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Here's some more games to play just in general!

QuestLord I will never not link this game. It does what we wish games would do. Builds on the older stuff to provide a great experience, while taking away some of the kludgy mechanics of the older games. Nice a streamlined, though a bit old at this point and maybe a bit _too_ streamlined. Still, good loving game. When's QuestLord 2?

Tales of the Adventuring Company is an overhaul of the I think 7DRL entry Adventuring Company. It's like minesweeper but a dungeon crawl! Or like Disco Zoo with actual game mechanics (if anyone even remembers _that_ game)

Ramble Planet Almost more of an adventuring experience rather than a game. If you want a game that caters to an explorer nature of gamer, this is pretty good, but it won't really scratch the itch of any of the other types of gamer than you may be.

Void Pyramid But that's okay because there's Void Pyramid by the same developer! With a much more coherent theme (Space Egyptians), story and actual RPG combat. Still scratches that exploration itch, but adds in a bit more that should have a wider appeal.

Motiti's games are pretty great. This thread used to be crazy about MinuteQuest a while back, which was a great casual game and recently I've posted about Slime Room which is a fairly challenging puzzle platformer.

Mecha Ace Choice of Games is a real grab bag of poo poo and gems, and I feel like this is one of the gems. It's a pretty blatant CYOA Gundam story that I felt really allows different types of players to experience different types of stories, which is really rare in the CYOA genre.

Fairune Now that this game has two sequels on the 3DS it's sort of hard to recommend it, because they improve leaps and bounds on the formula started by this game Hydlide. To be fair, it's way easier to recommend this game over Hydlide to modern players, at least. Urara Works also has some great PC browser games, but I'm not sure they're playable on handheld devices. Urara Works also did the concept and graphics for 1-bit Rogue which is fairly decent, but rather shallow.

Infinite Stairs I think there was a bunch of games that did this concept, but this is the one I played for ages. Microtransactions ahoy, but if you get addicted to the gameplay they're unnecessary. One of the few games I legitimately got addicted to (Dungeon Raid is another) on the order of "I have to delete this from my phone so I stop playing it."

Tower Slash is like playing simon, but you're a super-rad ninja running up the side of the building slicing enemies. Super stylish and super fun. Controls are not the greatest at the higher levels of play, but that's a fault of mobile device touch screens being terrible user interfaces for action games.

Lara Croft Go is a pretty decent puzzle game. I've heard the Hitman one is decent as well, no clue about the Deus Ex version. The puzzles are all suuuuper easy until the final stage (stages? I can't remember if it was the last one or last two). If you liked things like Monument Valley it's like that-- except some of the puzzles have actual lose conditions where you have to start over. This may be a plus or minus depending on what type of person you are and what type of experience you're looking for.

脱出RPG シルバー王国の聖杯 Trying to link to this developer page is giving me issues, so here's a link to one of their better games. It's like one of those escape room type games, but done in the style of a DQ-like RPG. Sort of like Fairune in a way. Japanese only, though.

4NR is a decent game with two modes of play. One a race against a clock and the other more relaxed. It's an interesting way to do a platformer on a touch screen, but I feel like it's a bit outdated compared to other things on the market.

Space Grunts Orange Pixel actually has quite a few games I've enjoyed. It's a pretty simple roguelike that feels like it comes from more of the DoomRL school of thought. Simple, but not so much so that it becomes too simple or boring. Kind of like Pixel Dungeon / Shattered Pixel Dungeon, but with as not quite as a gently caress you RNG.

Tottoko Dungeon is a pretty fun puzzle game where you're trying to lead an adventurer through a level but you have a limited number of ways to interact with them. Don't let this short description or weird anime icon turn you away, it's actually pretty interesting!

Henri Ever play Dongs.exe? (Syobon Action) How about I wanna be the Guy? Yeah, this is a masacore platformer like those. The challenge is to figure out the tricks to get through the level and to not be frustrated by being killed by THAT THING JUST POPPED OUT HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW!? If you mad at vidya, these types of games aren't for you. Laugh it off and strive to show the game who's boss!

Shibuya Dungeon takes Shibuya station and thinks, "isn't this confusing to walk around, like a video game dungeon?" Another game about exploration in old DQ style. There's also a Shinjuku Dungeon but that doesn't show up on the developer page for me right now?

Looty Dungeon takes Crossy Road's concept and makes it into a dungeon crawl. Out of the three I've played I _think_ this was the best one.

Mamono Sweeper is basically Minesweeper++. Definitely doesn't cross over into the RPG/Roguelike genre as much as Desktop Dungeons, despite the theme. Pretty fun, I thought!

Doom Warriors is almost a great game, but the battle mechanic is just a bit too much "tap all over the screen as fast as you can" for my taste. It's a good game to look at if you're interested in game design, because I think it does do some interesting things, but probably won't stand up to longer play. There's also some annoying time gated mechanics / microtransaction stuff.

Tomb of the Mask is a pretty fun puzzle adventure game that has an arcade feel to it with how the levels are sectioned off. Good controls, interesting design, and a bit of variety in play where you can avoid 100%ing a level and just clear it if you get frustrated so you can come back later. Powerups/microtransactions exist, but are easily ignored.

脱出ゲーム スライドプリンセス (Escape Game Slide Princess) has a pretty interesting gameplay mechanic where you slide your character around the puzzle to interact with things. With beautiful graphics and some pretty interesting solutions, it is in Japanese though, but iirc there wasn't anything super required to read? Maybe not, it's been a while since I finished this one.

Escape of the Dead This game just got left off of the board game section of the other post. The inventors of the board game (well, dice game) have done a lot of really cool one-off ideas for simple print and play games, and this one a fan took and made an android version. It's super simple, but has decent depth. I've played the poo poo out of this irl with actual dice. It's almost a probability puzzle where in multiple playthroughs you try and plot the quickest, safest route to victory.

The Quest Okay, I'm tired of typing these up. Last one. The Quest bookends this list as another game very similar to QuestLord, but with more of a focus on combat, higher resolution graphics, and bigger space to move around in. I'm not sure if there's actually more map square for square, but the increase in interactivity in NPCs and the larger areas to explore certainly feel that way, but if it is bigger, it's also emptier. But the towns feel more full? it's a weird dichotomy. There's expansions to buy and though I own one or two, I haven't really played them that much. Unlike QuestLord I feel like a bit of notetaking is required and it's harder to play casually. Also some of the quests really rubbed me the wrong way w/r/t how they can be completed, whether you get good/evil points for them and how NPCs react.

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jan 24, 2019

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Osmosisch posted:

Thanks a lot, that's a great list, and I really appreciate the effort.

Unfortunately our tastes don't line up at all, I've played most of the games you listed, and think Slay the Spire is way more fun than any of them, with only Mini Rogue coming close. I think it boils down to how simple/elegant a game should be to enjoy; or perhaps how much of a game's enjoyment derives from the pure mechanical interactions vs. bespoke content (with Slay leaning more on the latter).

I kind of kept the board game list short due to not actually knowing if those were what you were looking for. Other things that might interest you is One Deck Dungeon that has an interesting resolution mechanic, but a fails a bit with how it tries to balance the game between one and two-player modes and attempting to "theme" each dungeon on the boss. Your Name Here And the Argonauts that provides some interesting ways to make a "living" game, though it misses out on any exploration aspect, and Sentinels of the Multiverse which is just an avalanche of cards, so probably the best way to play nowadays is the electronic version on Steam. And I'm going to include Barbarian Vince and Pocket Dungeon for anyone else reading this post because I don't think it would appeal specifically to you, given your reaction, and that they're valuable in the interests of game design. Both have their issues, but they bring interesting things to the table.

There's also a game that I have labeled as "Mini Solo RPG" that's like a less bad version of Land of Enin or Epic Solitaire Notebook Adventures, but I can't figure out where turns out it was MICRO Solo RPG and I'm not sure it does have a proper entry on BGG.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I can't sleep! Here's a link to the previous thread and the big effort list of games I typed up back then. Looks like I forgot a fair few number of things from that list, like the PicoPico stuff, Punch Quest and Deep Dungeons of Doom, for instance.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Sorry you can't sleep, but can you explain what the different colored XP cubes do in Union Attack? I see how people level up (by beating enemies), but not what those stats seem to do. The manual does not seem to mention that variable.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Chinook posted:

Sorry you can't sleep, but can you explain what the different colored XP cubes do in Union Attack? I see how people level up (by beating enemies), but not what those stats seem to do. The manual does not seem to mention that variable.

Let me see, it's been a fair while since I played.

Okay, getting back into it iirc that's how you unlock the later stages.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Right on, thanks. :)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yup, confirmed it. Getting 25 in a color will unlock the next Free Stage for that color. Then you get another set at 50 and then 100. Each new free stage means new characters and more seals.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Any advice as how to use seals? I put the one on the villager just because he seems like a chump. But for all I know, he's a late bloomer or something.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Chinook posted:

Any advice as how to use seals? I put the one on the villager just because he seems like a chump. But for all I know, he's a late bloomer or something.

As I recall what I did at the start was to seal all of I think it was the Blue characters, that way there only was three colors on the board at any given time. This made it easier to get big matches and progress quickly in the early game. Then when you've got a better selection of blue guys then it's better to go through and trim out the guys that you feel are useless. Any characters that don't give good buffs or have good stats or a combination of the two. Cats I think are pretty weak until you have a lot of beast types and bees-- I think were pretty bad? You might also want to trim your green guys to focus on how you heal/prevent damage.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Nice, thanks. Right after I posted that I realized that blocking an entire color could be useful. Glad to see that's a good strategy. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

There's also strategies around when to limit break characters or let them sit at max (since enemies level is determined by their level on your team) and when to spend medals on levelling. I don't know if there's any weighting to encounters on a particular Free Stage, but I know I got the boss (big turtle) a lot in the 2nd Green stage which meant my other characters from there lagged behind. You have a theoretical infinite supply of medals, so you can be a bit free with them if you're feeling like a character is rather weak and you don't have enough seals.