Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

A beastmaster faction? Now THAT I can get behind. Niiiice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Started playing some EL again - any tips for the Lava Kekaku guys?I always feel strapped of resources expanding unless I get lucky earlier on, should I be building tall?

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Get those golem camps running, they're incredible. Also grab every lava territory you can, they are huge cornucopias of wealth for you. Don't go overboard on free golems, use then for holding the line while your cavalry do the heavy hitting.

Get your racial techs for sure, they are very profitable in lava land.

I go for a medium number of cities, neither tall nor wide per se. Lava lands are my core, and I cherry pick other territories based on what they have to offer.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any factions where it's not worth it to get their racial techs? I always consider them to be part and parcel of their unique abilities and usually make them one of my first few researches in a new tech era.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TBH I've never been a fan of the vaulter cavalry

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mameluke posted:

Are there any factions where it's not worth it to get their racial techs? I always consider them to be part and parcel of their unique abilities and usually make them one of my first few researches in a new tech era.

Not too many are duds, to be sure... Possibly the one that gives Cultists science packs for blowing up enemy cities, maybe?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Mameluke posted:

If you get really, really technical the there are probably racial techs you should not choose. But nobody gets that technical with this game. Get those awesome racial techs.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Speedball posted:

Not too many are duds, to be sure... Possibly the one that gives Cultists science packs for blowing up enemy cities, maybe?

Are you insane, or have you just never gotten the stockpile upgrades and have no idea what you've been missing out on?

I often don't get many of the racial techs, sometimes half the units even. So skipping things I feel is totally valid. That particular example was particularly egregious, however.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Serephina posted:

Are you insane, or have you just never gotten the stockpile upgrades and have no idea what you've been missing out on?

I often don't get many of the racial techs, sometimes half the units even. So skipping things I feel is totally valid. That particular example was particularly egregious, however.

Ah, that was it, I forgot to get the tech that upgrades the stockpiles, haha.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

https://twitter.com/Amplitude/status/1087764844835729408

Never gonna happen but I'd take a DotE2

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

DOTE2 would be awesome. Or a new game.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I'll take any game in the Endless universe honestly. Especially if FlybyNo is doing the soundtrack.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Hype! These guys have a frankly incredible 100% hit rate with me. I'll tune in Thursday fo sho.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rhjamiz posted:

I'll take any game in the Endless universe honestly. Especially if FlybyNo is doing the soundtrack.

The setting is so lore rich I'd love to see them try something RPG wise.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Man, you've got to admire Amplitude. They've achieved a lot in 8 years.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Flipswitch posted:

DOTE2 would be awesome.

:bisonyes:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think a party-based rpg would be pretty cool.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

I think a party-based rpg would be pretty cool.

Yes please. I want to explore Auriga.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Rhjamiz posted:

Yes please. I want to explore Auriga.

Hell yeah. An RPG taking place on Auriga would be amazing.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Speedball posted:

Hell yeah. An RPG taking place on Auriga would be amazing.

So, Dungeon of the Endless?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Eschatos posted:

So, Dungeon of the Endless?

That's just one dungeon, I want shops, I want to go to towns, I want Final Fantasy or Original Sin style proper turn-based battles. Also one town moves around because it's a Roving Clans setestke, heh. Wouldn't be the first time a town moves around in an RPG, in Suikoden V there was "Raftfleet."

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I was hoping for a direct Civilization competitor, but then someone said RPG based on Auriga so I'm hoping for that now.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Or a space opera RPG in the Endless universe!

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
I want a Princess Maker style life sim where you go through the hero Academy.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I want a shadow of middlearth on Auriga where you're a dust powered killing machine (shoo-in for broken lords), maybe Amplitude can make it without filling up a hundred gigabytes with uncompressed audio. :v:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Or a space opera RPG in the Endless universe!

Yeah, I'd prefer that to just hanging out on Auriga forever.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Delacroix posted:

I want a shadow of middlearth on Auriga where you're a dust powered killing machine (shoo-in for broken lords), maybe Amplitude can make it without filling up a hundred gigabytes with uncompressed audio. :v:

Really, let's make a different action RPG for every faction. Forgotten's Creed, Sea of Morgawr, Breath of the Allayi, another Shadow of War ripoff that leans into you putting an entire country under the Cultists's thrall, the factions are all so great.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I would reskin Phantom Doctrine and make a Forgotten game, just like that.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I decided to get the expansions pack. Hacking looks neat for ES2, and a new faction is always a treat in EL

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Did they announce anything here?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Twitch is blocked at work for me so if anyone else can say if anything interesting is happening it'd be appreciated!

parara
Apr 9, 2010
Not sure about ES2 but this is definitely the last expansion for EL is what they’ve said on stream. :(

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Free amplitude game weekend.

No more EL.

EL2 is not being worked on.

Community game is live by which exploring systems in ES2 unlocks things for everyone.

I think Penumbra is the last for ES2 as well, that part was hard to understand as audio was bad.

No real hints toward the future.

Stream was a bit of a downer for me tbh. I'd love a new game announcement.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
ES1 is free on the games2gether website.

But it's being really buggy right now.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Helion posted:

Free amplitude game weekend.

No more EL.

EL2 is not being worked on.

Community game is live by which exploring systems in ES2 unlocks things for everyone.

I think Penumbra is the last for ES2 as well, that part was hard to understand as audio was bad.

No real hints toward the future.

Stream was a bit of a downer for me tbh. I'd love a new game announcement.

How about an Android port of Dungeon of the Endless?

:smith:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The fungus people in EL are pretty great. They're like an alternative take on Cultists; they use food to take over neutral, unclaimed villages (if pacified) and mineral extractor sites, but have only one city they can expand. Though unlike Cultists they can at least take over enemy cities by fighting, they just can't expand it further.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Speedball posted:

The fungus people in EL are pretty great. They're like an alternative take on Cultists; they use food to take over neutral, unclaimed villages (if pacified) and mineral extractor sites, but have only one city they can expand. Though unlike Cultists they can at least take over enemy cities by fighting, they just can't expand it further.

You didn't mention the best bit! When they take over an enemy city, they only get FIDS from the surrounding tiles, that's it, and it acts as if it is an empty city, BUT after a few turns you gain a special power depending on the faction the city is from!

I got a Vaulters city right now, and it gives me +1 science to all science tiles and some kind of winter resistance. Collect 'em all!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Speedball posted:

Whoa that sounds awesome, definitely going to have to add the expansion to my wishlist.

Helion posted:

You didn't mention the best bit! When they take over an enemy city, they only get FIDS from the surrounding tiles, that's it, and it acts as if it is an empty city, BUT after a few turns you gain a special power depending on the faction the city is from!

I got a Vaulters city right now, and it gives me +1 science to all science tiles and some kind of winter resistance. Collect 'em all!
This makes it even cooler!

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Yeah, it actually gives you an incentive to grab a single city and then potentially stop. Limited warfare is way more beneficial for you than for other factions. The reverse is also true- you definitely gain from grabbing more cities, but comparatively less than a faction who can make full use of them.

I guess in multiplayer this could lead to weird things like "giving" a city full of your own people to a Mykaran.....ally....for them to, uh, make use of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Been playing the Choir all morning. They're interesting as hell but also really fincky. Their one system thing hurts them most in science, even a fair few cold sanctuaries will do little to help. You need to get a good in for hacking enemy capital systems consistently to keep up tech wise and use your abilities to spread sleepers wide and far to keep tabs the galaxy. Later on Nexus is a loving beast for building stuff though, all the planets are cold steriles so AI labor does wonders, especially if you've been making lots of shadows.