Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ripoff posted:

That would be the best way to end that. Why go the violent route when you can make them sit in a blazing hot building full of poo poo-filled un-flushed toilets and just laugh at them all the way to the airport (where they’ll find they have to land in Mexico and drive the rest of the way when as there’s no loving ATC in the US lmao).

yeah, but, julian assange...

Feldegast42 posted:

border-security-kicking-over-water-left-for-migrants.gif

Also, superbowl is this sunday and if ATC shuts down there are going to be a lot of very pissed off rich folk who missed the big game

theoretically they can take charter flights to PDK airport, the general aviation airport in atlanta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Sundae posted:

The only parts that are questionable are what counts as "approved leave" (aka, if you all tried to go out on leave at once, could your manager just refuse?), and whether or not, even if they could get away with it, we'd end up having Reagan ATC Part II as a result.

Reagan fired the ATC for striking, right? This isn't really striking.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/RepBarbaraLee/status/1088506893268668416

Good to see Barbara Lee backing AOC and the other WoC in Congress. I mean, there was never any doubt she would. Lee is a Juggernaut of Awesome.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

my bony fealty posted:

Sooo this is saying ATCs are free to just not show up and not worry about not getting backpay?

Soooo they will just shut down air travel until the government is reopened?

Honestly, I wish that would just happen. To my mind, that cripples us in the short term, but forces the issue and gives these fucks no choice but to end the standoff. That's better than these people working weeks and weeks with no pay and some horrible crash happening on their (even more stressed out due to to money worries) watch.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

AhhYes posted:

Yeah this is interesting, but since it's subject to normal approvals, I wouldn't be surprised if management said, "sure so long as we maintain minimum staffing levels." Dunno how much impact that'd have but this is very strange.

Also, why would Trump's OPM allow this?

I'm assuming they think it increases pressure on Dems to cave.

Or they're just really dumb, it really could be either (or both).

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

If air traffic controllers are deciding to mass ditch that gives me hope a general strike is still possible in this country.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It better not turn out to be bullshit. I just told my Dad about the possibility because he's going on a trip very soon/

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1088507658208989184

Remember people talking about wishing there was a wealth tax? Warren delivers.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Cool Glenn maybe next you can tell us how Russia's dehumanization of LGBTQ folks is totally different and totally chill

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1088441464261042182?s=19

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

friendbot2000 posted:

I mean, there are 4 Million contractors out of work right now so odds are good! There is almost ZERO mention of federal contractors being out of work and that kind of pisses me off

Yeah, that's what I mean. Like, there's going to come a point at which one of them says "Refuse to pay me, huh? I'll show you how to shut down the government!"

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

friendbot2000 posted:

WHY DOES ELIZABETH WARREN WANT TO PUNISH SUCCESS?
Op-Ed by Bret Stephens, Contributor, New York Times

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

friendbot2000 posted:

A fine start.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Promise to use those trillions of dollars on climate stuff and she's well on her way to getting my vote in the primary

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I would love to live in New Orleans or Pittsburgh if I could afford it. Detroit is too far north.

I’ve never been to LA but I spent a weekend in NYC and I’m not sure I could deal with that every day
Okay this is hella late but where the heck are you living if you can't afford Pittsburgh prices?

I've spent the last year razzing on my buddy from college because, even though he makes twice as much as me, I can afford a wedding and a house in Pittsburgh while he can't afford an apartment and anniversary dinner in New York.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, that's what I mean. Like, there's going to come a point at which one of them says "Refuse to pay me, huh? I'll show you how to shut down the government!"

I am lucky that I contract with a part of the Gov that isn't shut down, but a lot of people in my company are not as lucky. Fortunately, my small company is one of the very few that has a fund to make sure people get their paychecks, but it is really scary for a lot of people.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

friendbot2000 posted:

Stick a zero on each of those percents and you'll get my attention.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Stick a zero on each of those percents and you'll get my attention.

Hell two zeroes

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Feldegast42 posted:

It feels like a big win for the right wing to set the framing as that being the only choice. Like it's a law of nature that ICE is this way and has to exist and just comes along with the territory if you want borders at all.

Canada has a border with the US and it's neither hell racism warzone nor a totally open thing with zero staff or equipment of any kind ever. It's a chill and mostly reasonable border.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

Feldegast42 posted:

Also, superbowl is this sunday and if ATC shuts down there are going to be a lot of very pissed off rich folk who missed the big game

It's not until 2/3, but the media circus is already ramping up and the participating teams will be en route.

I am delighted by the mental image of Tom Brady needing to take a train to Georgia.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

luxury handset posted:

yeah, but, julian assange...

theoretically they can take charter flights to PDK airport, the general aviation airport in atlanta

Gotta have ATC for flying in Class A airspace (iirc 15,000 feet or higher) and PDK has some pretty decent traffic with business jets flying in and out daily. They’re in Class B airspace controlled by Hartsfield-Jackson and have their own tower so there’s a very slim chance of people getting in or out safely, especially if they have to declare IFR flight conditions (which completely necessitates the use of ATC to prevent planes from crashing into one another).

I live 2 miles from it and they blew a shitload of money fixing up the runways and such recently in preparation for the Super Bowl. If ATC strikes this is going to be a huge waste of money for them and I will never stop laughing.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

For background, NJPW announced the card for their next USA tour and fans were shocked and angered it was near exclusively a bunch of white dudes who wrestle for Ring of Honor, a US promotion NJPW partners with. They slashed ticket prices 60% to compensate.

Ring of Honor is owned by Sinclair Broadcasting

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Main Paineframe posted:

That's a terrible idea, though. It suggests that the Dems don't actually oppose Trump's policies, and are only opposing the wall to block one of his highest-profile campaign promises.

The Dem trend of arguing for trimmed-down "smart" versions of GOP policies is sick and pathetic.

I disagree. His policy is "wall." Democrat's policy is "border security, but a wall is stupid"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It feels like a big win for the right wing to set the framing as that being the only choice. Like it's a law of nature that ICE is this way and has to exist and just comes along with the territory if you want borders at all.

Canada has a border with the US and it's neither hell racism warzone nor a totally open thing with zero staff or equipment of any kind ever. It's a chill and mostly reasonable border.

It’s almost like there’s some kind of systemic narrative pushed to differentiate the immigrants and refugees coming to the US, somehow. I wonder what that narrative is.

And yes, we could have nice friendly border people who ask you a question or two and note your name and tell you to have a nice stay, but to have that we have to dismantle the entire current apparatus first.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

exploded mummy posted:

you should read the Venezuela thread

Yeah the C-SPAM one, the D&D thread is godawful

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Okay but emulating Canada would mean drastically scaling back 'border security' sooooooooo

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I only know about them because of Tiger Mask W, and I now want the government open more than ever

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Customs serves an important purpose and some border security is required for that but the notion that we need to spend billions of dollars keeping people out is a capitulation to the right's talking points

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Bicyclops posted:

"Ha ha! You believe what scientific consensus does about our current, man-made apocalypse!" is a really weird "Nya-nyah!" that the GOP has latched itself to.

Breitbart has an ApOCalypse Countdown Clock on literally every page on their web site:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Has the elder Huckabee made any painfully unfunny attempts at comedy at AOC’s expense?

he has s new youtube(red youtube? some other paywall??) where its less funny than Fox's attempts at their own daily show.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
ATC, or any exempted Feds, can't just not shown up. You still need approved "leave" from a supervisor (but you won't get charged for the leave).

If I'm running an agency, I'm keeping that poo poo locked down tight. Last thing you want is, after barely getting by, for Trump's appointed head of the agency to come in and say "looks like you guys got the job done just fine with 60% of the staff missing. This we need to adjust those budgets."

It's definitely a too good to be true situation.

And for anyone that doesn't show up without approved leave, that is AWOL and subject to termination. I might not give a poo poo if I'm a TSA agent making $20/hr, but probably more sensitive if I'm an FDA inspector making $40/hr with an actual career.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Arrgytehpirate posted:

The embassy in Venezuela getting attacked is probably Trump’s best case scenario because he could open the government without losing face because he needs to start a war.

They're not going to do anything like that. Worst case scenario they barge in and arrest everyone but there's no reason to be violent

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
So if the world is objectively much worse in 12 years due to climate change but has not cracked in half, who wins? AOC or the Right Wing?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

IANAconsitutional scholar: would you need an amendment for a wealth tax?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Brony Car posted:

So if the world is objectively much worse in 12 years due to climate change but has not cracked in half, who wins? AOC or the Right Wing?

We all lose.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ding ding ding

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah the C-SPAM one, the D&D thread is godawful

only when a bunch of idiots swarm in to posture about imperialism and apologize for Maduro

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Brony Car posted:

Trump. Or at least, he'll declare it on Twitter while swilling a Big Mac milkshake through a straw because he no longer has any teeth.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FBS posted:

Breitbart has an ApOCalypse Countdown Clock on literally every page on their web site:

I wonder if they're going to keep this up as the climate crisis worsens or just quietly abandon it and start running stories about filthy foreigners coming to steal our water and our inland high ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Your Taint posted:

I disagree. His policy is "wall." Democrat's policy is "border security, but a wall is stupid"

Or things that work vs monuments to racism.