Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Yeah, I'm sure they're leaving details out about their credit card activity. It's just that if you have to deal with anything more complex than the most basic of issues, Google support is insurmountable. It's basically like they expect everything on their side to go according to plan, but if it doesn't, oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

That is weird. I had replaced a card a couple of years ago and forgot to update Google Play, all it did was decline the card. I put in the new one, and that was it.

The only consistent issue I have is trying to get Google Pay to verify a card so I can use the app. It was working until I got a new credit card (although it was a pain in the dick to get the first card verified), now I'm back at square one again. It's not a big deal, and I just use the actual card, but it'd be nice to have it just work.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

azurite posted:

Yeah, I'm sure they're leaving details out about their credit card activity. It's just that if you have to deal with anything more complex than the most basic of issues, Google support is insurmountable. It's basically like they expect everything on their side to go according to plan, but if it doesn't, oh well.

A guy on Reddit claims Google blocked his account so now he can't pay Fi...turns out it's because he did a chargeback on them and they do what everyone says they will do and blocked his account.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ProjectFi/comments/aerek8/fi_bill_overdue_refuses_to_take_payment_because/

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/01/14/google-fi-announces-rcs-support-rolls-out-4g-lte-coverage-in-33-more-countries/

Fi has picked up RCS support and has LTE in more countries now.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Interesting article I found on my Google feed about fi;

Why I Can No Longer Recommend Google Fi

I've had no problems, but I am half assed wondering about the Xfinity phone plan (even though I loathe Comcast), or another mnvo

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/01/14/the-ludicrous-google-pay-death-sentence-can-lock-your-fi-account-and-phone-number/

They're also sharing this story. I still find this as something really suspicious as it's done nothing but generate negative press...not that Fi didn't do that on their own with the last promotion that came out of no where.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Apologies then!
It literally came up on my feed... recommended news from Google.

Good job internet detectives!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The Fi support team says they'll refund the $199 purchase price of my Nexus 5X. I thought about holding out for confirmation that they'll refund the sales tax too, but I'm so tired of this I'll give up that sweet $15 or so if they can just get this dumb poo poo over with.

Before they'll do the refund though, they first need the "secret code" from my Fi account. I think this is to make sure someone hasn't hijacked my email, but... the email I have for my Fi contact information is the Gmail address of the Google account that i'm signed up to Fi with. I don't know how this would prevent fraud except in the case that I'm somehow signed into Gmail but not Fi on a machine that an attacker had access to?

Anyway, I respond to the email asking me for the secret code, with, uh, an email containing the secret code. I noticed when I clicked the "get secret code" button (on my Fi web dashboard) that under the generated code was some text saying "this code is valid for 30 minutes". I had the thought of "wait, if a support person doesn't get to my email in 30 minutes, will the code be invalid then?" but I decided that any system where something like that could happen would make zero sense from a business workflow perspective, so clearly if they were asking for the code over email, the system must work in such a way that a support person can still validate the code after the 30 minute window. Guess what happened next? I spent an entire afternoon mailing security codes and getting back very apologetic "we are so sorry but we're very busy right now and by the time I got to your email the code had expired, can you send a new one?"

me irl: :psyduck:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The Fi support team says they'll refund the $199 purchase price of my Nexus 5X. I thought about holding out for confirmation that they'll refund the sales tax too, but I'm so tired of this I'll give up that sweet $15 or so if they can just get this dumb poo poo over with.

Before they'll do the refund though, they first need the "secret code" from my Fi account. I think this is to make sure someone hasn't hijacked my email, but... the email I have for my Fi contact information is the Gmail address of the Google account that i'm signed up to Fi with. I don't know how this would prevent fraud except in the case that I'm somehow signed into Gmail but not Fi on a machine that an attacker had access to?

Anyway, I respond to the email asking me for the secret code, with, uh, an email containing the secret code. I noticed when I clicked the "get secret code" button (on my Fi web dashboard) that under the generated code was some text saying "this code is valid for 30 minutes". I had the thought of "wait, if a support person doesn't get to my email in 30 minutes, will the code be invalid then?" but I decided that any system where something like that could happen would make zero sense from a business workflow perspective, so clearly if they were asking for the code over email, the system must work in such a way that a support person can still validate the code after the 30 minute window. Guess what happened next? I spent an entire afternoon mailing security codes and getting back very apologetic "we are so sorry but we're very busy right now and by the time I got to your email the code had expired, can you send a new one?"

me irl: :psyduck:

I'm in awe of how stupid that is.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Fi support as gently caress

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I've worked with vendor support people who respond with a bogus request for info like that in order to reset the clock on their SLA. The 30 minute code sounds like a perfect opportunity for them to do just that without actually offering any help. Impressive stuff.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Javid posted:

Fi support as gently caress

the first time I tried porting my GV number to Fi, it hosed my poo poo up so badly that the only way to get in touch with me was to call on the number I had from cricket, which I had never given out to anyone. During that 48-72ish hour window between it loving up and me being able to cancel, my mother ended up going to the ER. It ended up just being an appendectomy, but at the time it was more or less an emergency and she'd been taking coumadin for PE so I was furniture-throwing pissed when it turned out my mom was in the ER and nobody could get in touch with me.

Who did I get from Fi support when I demanded their immediate attention in a very angry support message? A dude who gave me a story about his mom dying like a year prior.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Demanding more information and then acting like you're uncooperative when you refuse to paste them the same goddamn thing for a 6th time in a row is among their tactics.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I mailed my trade-in kit on Friday. I photographed the label, and went to the Post Office to drop it off and got a receipt this time. Last year, Google couldn't find it for four weeks, so I wasn't taking any chances.

Another trade-in kit arrived at my house on Saturday.

Today (Wednesday) I got an email from Google saying they received my phone.

So trading in my Pixel 1 took about 6 weeks from ordering the kit to receiving my money, and trading in my Pixel 2 took about 6 weeks but for different reasons. Hooray.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I just got off of a live chat with support. I thought I'd try chat instead of emailing, because of the code expiration issue. The person I got on the live chat said oh, no, you don't need to give us a secret code, and she processed the paperwork for my return. Entire chat time, including the initial wait: less than 30 minutes. Fi support is great! (when you get a rep who knows what they're doing and actually wants to help you :ssh:)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Yeah, always do live support if you can. Same morons but it's harder for them to ignore you.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Are people using signal spy to force a switch between networks or some other app? I occasionally get stuck on a poor signal and find out when I come back to the exact same location that I will get excellent signal.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Are people using signal spy to force a switch between networks or some other app? I occasionally get stuck on a poor signal and find out when I come back to the exact same location that I will get excellent signal.

I just use the finext dialer code to cycle, but signal issues (at least ones not caused by being in a parking garage or a tunnel for example) are so rare in my day to day life that I don't have much need for a dedicated app.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've been getting stuck on Sprint 3g at work and have to manually switch to get LTE. It's a very recent development for me.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I've gotten a lot of use out of signal spy. The phone will consistently switch away from a good signal to the carrier with the worst service around here, so I have to force it onto us cell if I need poo poo to work uninterrupted for a couple hours.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I think they did drastically improve the network switching. In the last year or two I haven't really been using Signal Spy for it.

The daily limit feature is still great though.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Good news! 8 days after Google confirmed they received my trade-in phone, Google has emailed me to inform me they're sending a third trade-in kit.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

FogHelmut posted:

Good news! 8 days after Google confirmed they received my trade-in phone, Google has emailed me to inform me they're sending a third trade-in kit.

Clearly the issue you described previously about not being able to get a kit shipped is being caused by fiends like yourself. You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Bloodplay it again posted:

Clearly the issue you described previously about not being able to get a kit shipped is being caused by fiends like yourself. You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

I am the kit hoarder.

Nov 28 - Kit 1 requested
Dec 16 - called support to ask where is my kit? They send another.
Jan 05 - called support to ask where is my kit? They send another.
Jan 09 - Kit 1 arrived at my house.
Jan 11 - Kit 1 shipped back to Google.
Jan 12 - Kit 2 arrived at my house.
Jan 16 - Google received Kit 1
Jan 24 - Google emailed me saying Kit 3 is on its way.

I think there isn't good communication between Support and the people sending the kits and the end users. If the queue to be shipped is delayed, they should update their 7-10 day projection and communicate that instead of just adding more items to the queue.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

I am the kit hoarder.

Nov 28 - Kit 1 requested
Dec 16 - called support to ask where is my kit? They send another.
Jan 05 - called support to ask where is my kit? They send another.
Jan 09 - Kit 1 arrived at my house.
Jan 11 - Kit 1 shipped back to Google.
Jan 12 - Kit 2 arrived at my house.
Jan 16 - Google received Kit 1
Jan 24 - Google emailed me saying Kit 3 is on its way.

I think there isn't good communication between Support and the people sending the kits and the end users. If the queue to be shipped is delayed, they should update their 7-10 day projection and communicate that instead of just adding more items to the queue.

This is hilarious. What are you gonna do with all those kits?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'm pretty sure support are just locked in a pen somewhere and receive occasional notes in scribbled crayon about what the rest of the company may or may not be doing.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

my only advice is to make sure to get someone on the line who actually seems like they know what they are doing. in my anecdotal experience, email can be more of a crapshoot than the other methods of communication

that said my current status is that i got someone who said they'll give me the original $200 purchase price back for my 5X, but then the boilerplate emails the sent me for returning it have all kinds of "oh but if the device is damaged we might deduct $$" and ugh now i have to clarify that too

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Has anyone else experienced this scam phenomenon? Both my girlfriend and I (she's on, I think, Sprint) have gotten texts and calls from strangers, asking US why we called them. Obviously, we haven't done anything. So it's people spoofing exact phone numbers, instead of just your area code, to scam people. I assume there's nothing we can really do about this, and it was just our time in the sun.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Yeah that's a thing. They just fake random numbers in your area code. I've gotten pissy phone calls from random people threatening to call the cops on me a few times, it's great.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I talked to a really polite lady who was very concerned about missing my call. Having to explain the scam to her took a few minutes but maybe if someone calls her up angry she can explain she didn't do it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Really, people are new to this happening? I've been getting those calls for like two years, now.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I got one of those for the first time this past week; I had a missed call from some electrical company, called them and the lady was like "uh no you called me?"

:shrug:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So I've started to get a somewhat regular "SIM not provisioned for voice" message that seems like it might have started around the same time I started having to manually switch off Sprint while at work.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

fknlo posted:

So I've started to get a somewhat regular "SIM not provisioned for voice" message that seems like it might have started around the same time I started having to manually switch off Sprint while at work.

I'd hit up support, if it's a bad sim they'll send you out a new one quickly.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Gotta love only paying the tax.

Thanks, Qylvaran, for rocking my referral code :bubblewoop:

I'm leaning harder into purchasing a new phone, especially before I take a trip to Japan. My current Pixel XL has intermittent text-missing issues.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

Thanks, Qylvaran, for rocking my referral code :bubblewoop:

No problem! Between the credit for using your code, the credit for someone else using my code, and the credit for transferring my Pixel 2 over, my family won't be paying a phone bill for a while yet.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Anybody having an issue with duplicate texts? I'll send a text and then it repeatedly sends itself 2 or 3 more times over the next half hour or so.

I'm thinking it might be related to Messages for Web, but I'm curious to know if anyone else has had this issue.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

My parents send me two to three copies of their pictures over MMS because their phones tell them the message wasn't sent and to try again.

Is that happening to you?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

azurite posted:

My parents send me two to three copies of their pictures over MMS because their phones tell them the message wasn't sent and to try again.

Is that happening to you?

This is definitely happening to me.

It'll claim the message wasn't sent and so I try to send it again and it says it wasn't sent...finally it says it's sent and I get back a "wtf??" because I sent three of the same picture.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

This is definitely happening to me.

It'll claim the message wasn't sent and so I try to send it again and it says it wasn't sent...finally it says it's sent and I get back a "wtf??" because I sent three of the same picture.

Yup, same here! I also have been missing texts sent to me. Both of these issues are uncommon though, and from what I've seen it's almost always on the Sprint towers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Yup, same here! I also have been missing texts sent to me. Both of these issues are uncommon though, and from what I've seen it's almost always on the Sprint towers.

I've had problems on my Nexus 6 where o couldn't even make an outgoing call while on Sprint (though that hasn't happened on my Pixel 2 XL).

Though, it makes sense that MMS works almost perfect on the web version vs the phone...