Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Outmaneuver is a trap on wedge.

Drop both R4s and Outmaneuver, give Wedge a torp. Blow poo poo up.

I think I like that idea.

Though my first trial game with Outmaneuver Wedge he got the drop on a cloaked Whisper and one shot him(her?).

R4s have always been a "I have spare points, gently caress it, why not?" Since they only help on the 2 hard turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

ConfusedUs posted:

I feel like the timing of circular tokens is wrong; it should be before any other "during the end phase" effects.

Honestly, I think the way they're ruling it makes the most sense. Tokens are a "during this round" thing, and so it makes the most sense for them to last for the duration of the end phase. I mean, that's what we were already doing with Corran Horn and his "double tap" pilot ability in v1. Someone wasn't super-careful with the wording, but that's clearly the intent.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Does BB-8 grant a barrel roll action? I.e can a t-70 with no s-foils use BB-8 to BR? I say no, my opponent says yes.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yes theres no condition on the card saying you need it on your action bar to do it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Who wants homebrew 2.0 rules for epic ships?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
To be fair, I don't want epic ship rules from FFG either

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cobbsprite posted:

Honestly, I think the way they're ruling it makes the most sense. Tokens are a "during this round" thing, and so it makes the most sense for them to last for the duration of the end phase. I mean, that's what we were already doing with Corran Horn and his "double tap" pilot ability in v1. Someone wasn't super-careful with the wording, but that's clearly the intent.

All other "simultaneous" effects are resolved by the first player (in the order of their choosing) and then the second player.

In addition, the Rules Reference contains this line (granted it is in a slightly different context): If there are game effects that share the same timing window as a player’s ability, the game effect is resolved first

Yet, for some reason, they've chosen to put the token removal LAST. It should be first (if they're taking that "game effect" timing as gospel) or player choice (if they're doing it the way everything else works).

I think the ruling is wrong, which is sad, but I don't think it's a massive blow to any build outside of gimmicky Tavson and Quickdraw builds, which is okay. And there's plenty of time to adapt.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

StuG Jeebus posted:

To be fair, I don't want epic ship rules from FFG either

:hfive:

What are some valid strategies against 3 upsilon shuttles? Currently flying Poe/Nien/Lulo and haven't faced the list yet. My shop is holding the first Aussie hyperspace trial so I am not going to have any warning what the Aussie meta is going to be ahead of time.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Can they shoot you if you line up parallel and flush against the board edge and go straight? If you avoid shots the first turn you're at least not engaging vs a token stack.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

:hfive:
What are some valid strategies against 3 upsilon shuttles? Currently flying Poe/Nien/Lulo and haven't faced the list yet. My shop is holding the first Aussie hyperspace trial so I am not going to have any warning what the Aussie meta is going to be ahead of time.

Tripsilons, ironically, almost always win on time. They'll alpha something off the board early, then just tank with reinforce and such until time runs out.

The best counter-play is:

Setup: Set up in such a way that it's clear who they're committing to, but don't set up TOO far apart. I like to set up Nien and Lulo up at approximately range two from each other, in the middle, angled 45 degrees to their respective board edges. You'll have to adjust a lot for rock placement, but your goal is to Go Fast on turn 1. When you set up liek this, they'll have to set up in such a way that it's clear who they're going for; Poe should place last and set up on the side opposite whoever it is they look for.

Turn 1: Go as fast as possible with all three ships. Whoever gets targeted, reposition to ensure the ship only gets shot once. Try NOT to stress Lulo. Whoever has Black One probably burns it now, unless the ups fake out and switch targets. NEVER joust them. They have focus/evade/evade/lock on this round.

Turn 2: Whoever they're after continues to run. The others start to bank in (but don't commit too hard in case they switch targets, you're still vulnerable). You almost certainly burn Black One on this turn, if you haven't already.

Turn 3: It should be 100% obvious who can get behind the upslions this round, so do that. If you haven't lost a ship by now, you've probably won. It'll just take another 30 minutes. If you did lose a ship, watch out for the formation to split and the unwounded Ups to try to get around behind you in a few turns.

Turn 4+: Play as fast as possible so you don't lose on time.

You can't avoid them on the first round of combat, unless the person playing them is bad, so your goal is to ensure no ship is taking more than one shot on the opening round or the round after. The ship they focus on should focus ENTIRELY on defense, and the other two should swing wide and get behind them. Don't be afraid to burn Black One early for a commanding position.

I'm about *this* close to switching Black One to Nien to keep him safe. Poe sets up after the tripsilons and can avoid them (give them initiative), so they have to go for Nien or Lulo. And I'm totally fine with them taking 2-3 rounds to kill Lulo (who should start with the arc backwards to shoot them as he runs)

hoiyes posted:

Can they shoot you if you line up parallel and flush against the board edge and go straight? If you avoid shots the first turn you're at least not engaging vs a token stack.

If they start with Dormitz at a slight angle, which lets the other two go slightly more forward, then they can still shoot you even if you're flush on the back edge of the board.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
If you're really serious about dodging their first round attack, set up flush on the edge and point 'em left or right. Take one turn to fly left or right, maybe K if you feel frisky. Guarantee to avoid the token stack, but you sacrifice some positioning.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I imagine a strong play with manoeuvrable ships would be set up around the middle to fly fast towards a corner. Even with a 1-hard, big base ships don't like angling into a corner.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Cobbsprite posted:

If you're really serious about dodging their first round attack, set up flush on the edge and point 'em left or right. Take one turn to fly left or right, maybe K if you feel frisky. Guarantee to avoid the token stack, but you sacrifice some positioning.

Good luck with that. Hope you brought more than a 22 point bid.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

Yes theres no condition on the card saying you need it on your action bar to do it.

Isn't it just a basic rule of the game? Rules Reference, page 3, Actions:

quote:

When a ship is instructed to perform an action, the ship can perform a
standard action, which includes actions listed in that ship’s action bar,
as well as abilities that have the “Action:” header on that ship’s condition,
damage, ship, or upgrade cards.

And BB-8 explicitly says 'perform a boost or barrel roll action.'

Like Black One says you can perform a SLAM, and it actually adds the SLAM action to your action bar. Or Supernatural Reflexes explictly allows you to perform an action you don't actually have.

I fail to see how BB-8 allows you to perform an action your ship can't perform.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TheCenturion posted:

Like Black One says you can perform a SLAM, and it actually adds the SLAM action to your action bar. Or Supernatural Reflexes explictly allows you to perform an action you don't actually have.

Card rules ALWAYS overrule core game rules.

Always.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

TheCenturion posted:

If an effect says 'perform an action' you have to choose one on your bar.

If an effect says 'perform a specific action' you just do that action. Otherwise about half of the 'do a free action' upgrades would be worthless.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Supernatural Reflexes is a great example of that rule.

You don't need it on your action bar to perform the action (ever), but on this particular card you are punished for not having it on your bar.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Ok, fair enough. But why, then, does Black One add the SLAM action to your bar, only to take it away after one use? Why is it structured so differently? Why not 'Spend one charge to perform a SLAM action.'?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

TheCenturion posted:

Ok, fair enough. But why, then, does Black One add the SLAM action to your bar, only to take it away after one use? Why is it structured so differently? Why not 'Spend one charge to perform a SLAM action.'?

Because SLAM specifically states it can only be used as your one action during your perform action step, so it has to be on your bar.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Because SLAM specifically states it can only be used as your one action during your perform action step, so it has to be on your bar.
I'm not trying to be difficult, but I honestly don't understand what you mean by this.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

TheCenturion posted:

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I honestly don't understand what you mean by this.

You can't choose a SLAM action as a free action or outside the perform action step as allowed by a different card ability.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

TheCenturion posted:

SLAM (⁊)
Pilots can SLAM by activating their SubLight Acceleration Motors and
careening through space at incredible speeds. A ship performs a ⁊
action by performing the following steps:
The player chooses a maneuver from the ship’s dial. The maneuver must match the speed of the maneuver that the ship executed this round.
The ship executes the chosen maneuver.
3. The ship gains one disarm token.
A ship can perform a ⁊
action only as the ship’s one action during the Perform
Action step. Therefore a ship cannot perform a ⁊ action if it is granted an action from another effect.
• A ⁊ action fails if the final position of the ship would cause it to flee.
• When a ship performs a ⁊ action, it has performed an action as well as executed a maneuver for the sake of abilities.

It's in the rulebook. You can't SLAM except as your action in your erform action step, so any effect that calls out 'perform a SLAM action' fails automatically. Basically, to prevent you from being able to SLAM when you haven't got a manoeuvre speed to call on.

In short, it's the 1e 'can't SLAM as a free action' rule, updated for 2e not using the 'free action' terminology.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
So, BB-8 lets you perform an action not on your action bar, because card text trumps the rulebook, but you can't have a SLAM trigger outside of your perform action step, because card text cannot trump the rulebook?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SLAM casually.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

TheCenturion posted:

So, BB-8 lets you perform an action not on your action bar, because card text trumps the rulebook, but you can't have a SLAM trigger outside of your perform action step, because card text cannot trump the rulebook?

If BO just said "Spend a charge to do a SLAM" it would need a bunch of extra rules text to clarify when you can do that, because no game rule says "during the perform action step you can just do whatever your upgrades say to do".

Adding SLAM to your action bar is shorthand for "you can perform a SLAM action during your Perform Action step".

BB-8 on the other hand has you perform an action with specific timing, and as a game rule if an upgrade makes you do an action for whatever reason it doesn't need to be on your action bar. If they wanted BB-8 to require you to have the actions on your bar, it could just have the "Requires [action]" icon like Engine Upgrade does.

LanceKing2200 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 25, 2019

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The shorthand also indicates that you cannot perform a SLAM with Pattern Analyzer

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Floppychop posted:

I think I like that idea.

Though my first trial game with Outmaneuver Wedge he got the drop on a cloaked Whisper and one shot him(her?).

R4s have always been a "I have spare points, gently caress it, why not?" Since they only help on the 2 hard turns.

IIRC, that was my Oicunn/Whisper list, and I rolled all blanks on greens for that shot. That might've been my bad luck, and less about Outmaneuver. Also, I'm bad at this game.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
New Zealand Nationals is streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/wiredunplugged

2nd round should kick off soon.

Really wish I took time off to go.

Raged fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 25, 2019

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Akhter Khan the guy who made Dash/Roark just won a game in 10 mins.

Against his son who is a drat good player too.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Dash/Roark is degenerate as hell, and they really should have addressed it before now. Oh well.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

The Gate posted:

Dash/Roark is degenerate as hell, and they really should have addressed it before now. Oh well.

He said he figures it will be gone on the 28th so might as well give it one last ride.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Question about Nien Numb's ability. Let's say I dial in a K turn. Because I suck and another ship moved to where I didn't think it would go, I was blocked and couldn't complete the maneuver. I also end up on a Debris clud because of it. Normally, that would be a double stress right? One for the incomplete red maneuver, on e for landing on debris. Since Nien is at range 0 of a ship though, he sheds stress. THe question is, does he remove both stress tokens? My sense is that yes, he does get both removed, since the ability just says "if there is an enemy ship in your <front arc> at range 0-1, you may remove that stress token. Seems like that would trigger twice. Thoughts?

Am I also correct in assuming that Damaged Sensor Array means you can ONLY focus, and if you have an action you could link off focus, you can't take it?

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Correct on both counts. You remove the tokens individually as soon as you get them and you can't link into another action because you are only allowed to focus.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Funzo posted:

Question about Nien Numb's ability. Let's say I dial in a K turn. Because I suck and another ship moved to where I didn't think it would go, I was blocked and couldn't complete the maneuver. I also end up on a Debris clud because of it. Normally, that would be a double stress right? One for the incomplete red maneuver, on e for landing on debris. Since Nien is at range 0 of a ship though, he sheds stress. THe question is, does he remove both stress tokens? My sense is that yes, he does get both removed, since the ability just says "if there is an enemy ship in your <front arc> at range 0-1, you may remove that stress token. Seems like that would trigger twice. Thoughts?

Am I also correct in assuming that Damaged Sensor Array means you can ONLY focus, and if you have an action you could link off focus, you can't take it?

Yep. Both stress are shed.

And yes, damaged sensor array says you can only focus or do an action on damage card, no linking. Sucks to be a droid!

When ionized it works the same but for different reasons, because the ionized rules say you can only perform a focus action in the perform action step. Because of that, you also cannot link.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

Raged posted:

New Zealand Nationals is streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/wiredunplugged

2nd round should kick off soon.

Really wish I took time off to go.

Hey, can I just say thank you for posting this. I live in New Zealand and had no idea this was on. I saw the final two games thanks to this, and am gonna tune in tomorrow. Thumbs loving up, yo.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
wtf, the large ship placards in the Resistance kit are too big for the large bases... do I need to shave the placards down to fit or what? What is the "tournament legal" solution for this?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So at league tournament with fiancé. I'm running poe and two black aces. Went against the anti alpha list. Biggs with regen, two red squadrons with regen and selfless and Evaan.

I won 200-41, and heroic procced 3 times, once on each xwing, and helped me avoid damage

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Can you trigger Fifth Brother on multiple dice in one attack if you have multiple Force tokens?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

So at league tournament with fiancé. I'm running poe and two black aces. Went against the anti alpha list. Biggs with regen, two red squadrons with regen and selfless and Evaan.

I won 200-41, and heroic procced 3 times, once on each xwing, and helped me avoid damage

2nd game: against wedge, garven and dutch. Back and forth ended with a 200-159 win for me. I outflew his dutch by getting in his head and sealed it.

Sooooo I am 2-0 in a 3 round tournament.

Heroic proc count: 7(!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
What do you think about this? I flew against a version of it today (Echo with Grand Inquisitor and no CD, basically) and it was incredibly dickish in the amount of annoying stuff it can do to you if you go anywhere near the Deci. I'm trying to decide if the RAC version, or a Oicunn version with Intimidate and Dauntless would be more fun.

Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that Vader crew and Phantoms are going up in price....maybe Decis will go down?

Rear Admiral Chiraneau (88)
Lone Wolf (4)
Darth Vader (14)
Seventh Sister (12)
Fifth Brother (12)
Stealth Device (3)

“Whisper” (52)
Juke (4)
Collision Detector (5)
Stealth Device (6)

Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0