Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lmao at exempting commercial agriculture

the loving resnicks own this state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

As a bonus we're getting two regressive criminal justice ballot measures in 2020. One to try and preserve the cash bail system and another that would reclassify a bunch of stuff as felonies and force parole boards to consider things like age and whether or not an inmate has "marketable skills" before releasing them. Poor young black man who had to drop out of high school to get a job? Nah you'd better stay inside, you're too risky to let out.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Wicked Them Beats posted:

whether or not an inmate has "marketable skills" before releasing them. Poor young black man who had to drop out of high school to get a job? Nah you'd better stay inside, you're too risky to let out.

ooh harris is gonna be real mad at that

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

FMguru posted:

Could it be?!?!
Removing Prop13 protections from commercial real estate is long, long, long overdue.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/08/california-to-vote-on-partial-repeal-of-sweeping-tax-law.html

gently caress YEAH

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

completely exempts any business with less than 50 employees from any property taxes

What would keep real estate owners from making prop companies with short employee rosters to own all their real estate?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

dont be mean to me posted:

What would keep real estate owners from making prop companies with short employee rosters to own all their real estate?

I found the relevant text:

quote:

(a) (1) For each taxpayer paying the tax on tangible personal property used for business purposes, either of the following shall apply:

(A) Except for a taxpayer subject to subparagraph (B), an amount of up to five hundred thousand dollars ($500,000) of tangible personal property per taxpayer is exempt from taxation.
(B) (i) For a taxpayer that is a business with 50 or fewer annual full-time equivalent employees in the state, all tangible personal property owned and used for business purposes is exempt from taxation.

(ii) A taxpayer shall certify annually to the assessor under penalty of perjury that the condition required by this subparagraph for exemption has been met and shall be subject to audit by the assessor as to that certification.

I would guess the operative phrase there would be "and used for business purposes." So you'd have to certify under penalty of perjury that that vacant industrial lot you're holding at the opposite end of the state is somehow relevant to what your 49 full timers are doing and it would be subject to audit. I'm sure people will try regardless but if this is a big enough moneymaker expect the state to fund enforcement.

But I'm not a lawyer so who knows. Just chalk this up as another reminder that the voters should not be directly crafting tax law.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

cheese posted:

First read: Big UTLA win.
Second read: Moderate UTLA win.
The big win is against Austin Beutner. I'd be surprised if he stays on next year because the damned Union mobilized a strike, starting in one of the worst rainstorms in a while, and ended up getting massive press/sympathy across the city (Firefighters marched with them on the last day).

His position is pretty weak now, and the pro-charter contingent of the Board that voted him in should know it. The strike was as much a vote of no confidence against him as it was for the terms hashed out.

Big win for Mayor Garcetti since he comes off as looking like he successfully got the two groups to come together after many impasses.

I'd be interested to see how the gains are phased in for the new contract. I've heard disappointment the psychologists and counselors, as well as SPED, were largely not gaining from the agreement.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

As a bonus we're getting two regressive criminal justice ballot measures in 2020. One to try and preserve the cash bail system and another that would reclassify a bunch of stuff as felonies and force parole boards to consider things like age and whether or not an inmate has "marketable skills" before releasing them. Poor young black man who had to drop out of high school to get a job? Nah you'd better stay inside, you're too risky to let out.

I don't know anything about the bail ballot measure but one of the big lols from when they got rid of cash bail was the decision to replace bail with giving judges the power to remand anyone to jail until their trial, with absolutely no oversight.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Everyone I talked to thought it would make the housing situation worse because it enables renters under it to be FYGM-minded and block housing development and somebody might benefit from it who “doesn’t really need it”.

I think rent control and public housing is where single payer health care was in the 2000's where people believe a lot of misconception and out right lies that have come out of some think tank which work class white people internalized. Something for along the lines of the ACA for housing will come along eventually because something has to be done.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the aca for housing is the bold proposal of tax credits for people who spend more than x% of their income on rent that harris is putting as one of her top planks

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Shear Modulus posted:

ooh harris is gonna be real mad at that

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/08/kamala-harris-trump-obama-california-attorney-general

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://twitter.com/1KatieOrr/status/1088497639367135232

so i guess this guy jumped ship to the dems after winning reelection by a rat's rear end hair in his suburban san diego district last november

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

they finally got a moderate republican!!!!!!!!!!!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nathan Fletcher did it too

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I haven't read the details but this prop 13 revision sounds 100% pointless and ineffective.

The big problem with prop 13 on commercial property is that companies lease property instead of buying it. The property owner can hold it for decades, leasing it to a succession of businesses. 99-year leases are common. If the property owner's business is holding & leasing property, they can easily have fewer than 50 employees, permanently, even on very large properties like entire skyscrapers. How does exempting "small businesses" on the basis of number of employees fix that, at all?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Leperflesh posted:

I haven't read the details but this prop 13 revision sounds 100% pointless and ineffective.

The big problem with prop 13 on commercial property is that companies lease property instead of buying it. The property owner can hold it for decades, leasing it to a succession of businesses. 99-year leases are common. If the property owner's business is holding & leasing property, they can easily have fewer than 50 employees, permanently, even on very large properties like entire skyscrapers. How does exempting "small businesses" on the basis of number of employees fix that, at all?

That was exactly my concern and thank you (but also dang) for confirming that my concern is valid.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

(centristly). we cant have a policy that does anything to address the problem, we need something that will actually pass!

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Maienschein switching parties seems... kinda big. Like rats fleeing a sinking ship.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 25, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

it was p lol that the dems picked up the 76th (oceanside down to solana beach) by default because like a gazillion republicans ran there and the two dem candidates were the ones who could make it past the june primary

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Leperflesh posted:

This isn't what the language you're reading means. The exemption for businesses with less than 50 employees is on tangible personal property (like photocopiers and forklifts), not on real property. Real estate is a different section.

quote:

(b) (1) Real property owned by a taxpayer that operates a business or businesses on that real
property shall not be subject to reassessment pursuant to Section 2.5 of Article XIII A if both of
the following conditions are met:
(A) The owner-operator operates the business on a majority ofthe real property.
(B) The total fair market value of all property owned by the taxpayer in the state on which
the business operates is less than two million dollars ($2,000,000). This amount shall be
adjusted for inflation every two years commencing January 1, 2023, as determined by the Board
of Equalization.
(2) Real property described in paragraph (1) shall be subject to reassessment pursuant to
Section 2.5 of Article XIII A if either of the following occurs:
(A) The property is sold.
(B) The business or businesses no longer operate on a majority of the property.
(3) A taxpayer shall certify annually to the assessor under penalty of perjury that the
conditions required by this subdivision have been met and shall be subject to audit by the
assessor as to that certification.
Real property only gets the exemption if the owner also operates a business on a majority of the real property AND that property owner owns less than $2,000,000 total property, regardless of what holding companies you shift rights to.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tarezax posted:

Maienschein switching parties seems... kinda big. Like rats fleeing a sinking ship.

Yeah, the San Diego exurbs are the natural habitat of unenthusiastic Republicans. It's where the military-industrial workers, middle management, second amendment obsessives, and poor military men live.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Infinite Karma posted:

This isn't what the language you're reading means. The exemption for businesses with less than 50 employees is on tangible personal property (like photocopiers and forklifts), not on real property. Real estate is a different section.

Real property only gets the exemption if the owner also operates a business on a majority of the real property AND that property owner owns less than $2,000,000 total property, regardless of what holding companies you shift rights to.

Ahhh, OK that's a huge improvement then. And definitely the big killer. Expect every larger business in the state to pour money into a campaign to defeat this.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the "property owner must own less than $x" sounds real loopholey since the tax-evading commercial property in california already has the ownership stake chopped into multiple pieces and owned by shell companies to evade the "transfer of 50% of ownership results in reassessment" rule

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Shear Modulus posted:

the "property owner must own less than $x" sounds real loopholey since the tax-evading commercial property in california already has the ownership stake chopped into multiple pieces and owned by shell companies to evade the "transfer of 50% of ownership results in reassessment" rule
Seems hard to loophole to me. They have to own and operate the business using the majority of the property, so leasing is out. Trying to subdivide a $100,000,000 property into <$2,000,000 chunks that are each held separately enough to not get pegged seems pretty much impossible to do legally. You'd have to just hope you didn't get caught if you wanted to claim the exemption.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
San Diego is probably the most rightwing metropolitan area in the state. If the Republicans are losing grassroots-level offices like Assemblymen and city councilors and civic judges here then they're in real goddamned trouble.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

San Diego is probably the most rightwing metropolitan area in the state. If the Republicans are losing grassroots-level offices like Assemblymen and city councilors and civic judges here then they're in real goddamned trouble.

Agreed with this. I mean, Bakersfield is pretty conservative but it's also tiny.

The most racist people I have ever met live in San Diego.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I was watching Brooklyn 99 recently and one of the characters said they moved to San Diego to mess with another character, and then said basically, "Psyche! You really think I'd move to San Diego? That place sucks!" and I immediately burst out in gleeful agreement.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Jaxyon posted:

Agreed with this. I mean, Bakersfield is pretty conservative but it's also tiny.
Honestly I think we should physically transplant Bakersfield and Austin. Everyone involved will be much happier.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

So you've just never been to Orange County or...?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Yeah, the San Diego exurbs are the natural habitat of unenthusiastic Republicans. It's where the military-industrial workers, middle management, second amendment obsessives, and poor military men live.

looking it up isn't AD77 like, the rich suburbs like carmel valley and poway

duncan hunter country is like, everything north and east of it, consulting a map

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

duncan hunter country is like, everything north and east of it, consulting a map

Yeah I grew up in Maienschein's district, in the Rancho Bernardo area. My peers there ran the gamut from extremely leftist to arch-conservative but by and large we were pretty bougie.

Edit: These suburbs are still majority white but there's a pretty hefty amount of middle-class minorities in the area. All kinds of Asian, Iranian, Hispanic, etc.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 25, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

ah okay (huh, i had a few undergrad classmates from rancho bernardo)

klantee it ain't, sounds like

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

77 is everything inland of I-5 from Clairemont Mesa to the Ranchos, including the Marine Corps airbase at Miramar. In non-Trump times it would be prime Leans Republican territory.

It ain't Klantee but it isn't Blue Dog territory either. At least it didn't used to be.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 25, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

yeah it's weird times

like five years ago could anyone have foreseen that issa's district would flip, or that AD76 would flip once the dems actually ran candidates there? hell, scott peters even looked vulnerable in 2014 iirc and his district runs from coronado up to a lot of AD77

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

yeah it's weird times

like five years ago could anyone have foreseen that issa's district would flip, or that AD76 would flip once the dems actually ran candidates there? hell, scott peters even looked vulnerable in 2014 iirc and his district runs from coronado up to a lot of AD77

Trump couldn't even manage to get more than a plurality of voters in Coronado (except for North Island) and a few precincts there went solid blue.

That's loving Coronado, a population of rentiers, touristfuckers, and squids (retired and active duty).

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 25, 2019

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Glass of Milk posted:

OC's gonna be blue inside of a couple of years. Arguably it is now.

There's parts of the greater SD area that are probably sundown towns.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Trump couldn't even manage to get more than a plurality of voters in Coronado (except for North Island) and a few precincts there went solid blue.

That's loving Coronado, a population of rentiers, touristfuckers, and squids (retired and active duty).

im shocked there's people who actually live in coronado, having only been to like, the hotel

and also that a few precincts there actually went blue

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Leperflesh posted:

That's going to be expensive for my employer. We have well over 10,000 employees and a few billion worth of property and buildings down by Oyster Point in SSF. So there's a nice chunk of change for firefighters and libraries (things my small Northern California town lost when those assholes passed Prop 13 back in the day).

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

mllaneza posted:

That's going to be expensive for my employer. We have well over 10,000 employees and a few billion worth of property and buildings down by Oyster Point in SSF. So there's a nice chunk of change for firefighters and libraries (things my small Northern California town lost when those assholes passed Prop 13 back in the day).

don't worry, your town won't need to fund things

just like restoring rent control this is going to have a tsunami of landlord money to ensure it doesn't pass and unlike with normal elections a stupendous amount of money seems to win referendums every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Glass of Milk posted:

The Orange Curtain is the 133 now,