Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

No, those were actually swords, but Mika is a colossal idiot and doesn't know how to do anything with them other than to use them as bludgeoning weapons.

Mika figured out how to use swords as swords at the end of season 1.

He just also decided he didn't much care for them in comparison. No point using a weapon that needed focus and precision when you could kill the same people in less time with maces and a large hunk of iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Lemon-Lime posted:

No, those were actually swords, but Mika is a colossal idiot and doesn't know how to do anything with them other than to use them as bludgeoning weapons.

Barbatos had a katana type sword he used against Ein at the end of season one.

Barbatos Lupus had a sword mace that he used like a cricket bat.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I remember that Mika has a sword because he did a very gruesome kill with it in season 2.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I think he killed Brewers' guy with the sword too?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

EthanSteele posted:

Wing battles are mostly boring, one-sided whatevers, but the still shots of the Gundams are some of the best in the business.

Wing had some amazing still shots throughout.

That shot of the Talgeese holding it's own head in the hangar...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mika, for all his talent, isn't actually a great fighter. He's a complete brute with the talent to back that up.He's basically raw force and succeeds by overwhelming his opponents with his general speed and power. It's why the greatest challenges he gets are from pilots who genuinely are good fighters whose skills allow them to survive the endless Mikatornado.

It's an interesting dynamic because most Gundam pilots are "My machine is more powerful and I depend on that crutch until my skills develop." Mika in comparison leans heavier and heavier on his crutch to the point he depends on Barbatos to function, with his human body ending up as a part for his Gundam.| Julieta ends up the comparison to Mika, making the choice not to sacrifice herself for her machine even if it meant she would never reach the highs Mika did. However it's also something Julieta had the choice of while Mika didn't. If Mika had the chance to do what she did he'd probably have become an amazing pilot but he never had the choice. He had to fight to survive and learned to lean on every crutch he had because otherwise he was going to die.

A lot of what Mika does with weapons shows this. He can learn to use more complex weaponry but honestly he favors the 'natural' stuff. Brutal beatings, claws, even the tail-whip which ends up feeling like part of his natural body. He'll use other weaponry if he has to but if push comes to shove he isn't a pilot, he's a wolf whose body happens to be a giant robot.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Mika, for all his talent, isn't actually a great fighter. He's a complete brute with the talent to back that up.He's basically raw force and succeeds by overwhelming his opponents with his general speed and power. It's why the greatest challenges he gets are from pilots who genuinely are good fighters whose skills allow them to survive the endless Mikatornado.

It's an interesting dynamic because most Gundam pilots are "My machine is more powerful and I depend on that crutch until my skills develop." Mika in comparison leans heavier and heavier on his crutch to the point he depends on Barbatos to function, with his human body ending up as a part for his Gundam.| Julieta ends up the comparison to Mika, making the choice not to sacrifice herself for her machine even if it meant she would never reach the highs Mika did. However it's also something Julieta had the choice of while Mika didn't. If Mika had the chance to do what she did he'd probably have become an amazing pilot but he never had the choice. He had to fight to survive and learned to lean on every crutch he had because otherwise he was going to die.

A lot of what Mika does with weapons shows this. He can learn to use more complex weaponry but honestly he favors the 'natural' stuff. Brutal beatings, claws, even the tail-whip which ends up feeling like part of his natural body. He'll use other weaponry if he has to but if push comes to shove he isn't a pilot, he's a wolf whose body happens to be a giant robot.

No thats Zoids.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Command Wolf.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I think I'd describe him more as not an elegant fighter than not a great one. Mika's only fought two opponents with his speed and power (arguably even more speed and power than he had), and he won both times, despite them crushing some of the best technical pilots in the setting. (And despite one of those two opponents being shown as a gifted pilot himself)

Further, we see him adapting to circumstances remarkably well. He's at range, he lands killshots that most people thought of as impossible. He's up close, but his opponent's behind him? Lucky thing he has subarms. He's got an opponent zooming around so he can't keep up? Let the guy impale himself on your armor to force a close range fight.

At one point, Hush even notices that Mika uses the least fuel of any pilot in Tekkadan, despite being the most mobile. If we're just rating on ability, it's hard to fault Mikazuki.

He just doesn't transcend. Where most main pilots are shown to have abilities that go outside their machine, reaching into the wider world, Mika's setup draws him deeper and deeper into Barbatos until there's almost no gap between him and the Devil.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Sharkopath posted:

Command Wolf.

As an aside, is it just me or did Genobreaker wreck the heroes for what seemed like half of Guardian Force

And that main character had pleny of the skills, but just didn't have a machine that could keep up with him at all at that point

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Mika is bad at fighting, but he's really good at killing and doing whatever it takes to make that happen despite the personal risk.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

RillAkBea posted:

This was pretty much what turned me off of AGE, the first episode was a consistent attack on suspension of disbelief and it won.

So the kid builds an entire superweapon in his garage from blueprints possibly hundreds of years old and it's somehow not a piece of garbage that's hundreds of years out of date? Like the Mark I tank was a legendary weapon but if the aliens land I'm not gonna trust one to save the earth much less one built by a child. :v: But ok whatever, turns out it is great somehow and kid goes to fight the enemy but oh no, he doesn't have any weapons good enough, lets activate the machine he also somehow built that develops new weapons from scratch. Again, a kid in his garage. Why are they even letting him fight, they should be handing him a blank check and putting him at the forefront of arms development. If that's what he can do in a garage, imagine what he could make with an entire industry at his command. And that's where my brain walked out. I watched a few more episodes but I remember nothing of them.

The basic premise which is eventually revealed is that in the past after a catastrophic space war, humanity took all it's high technology weapons knowledge and war data, fired it into the sun, and reverted to much lower levels of tech and outlawed military built up or advancements of technology past a certain level hoping to never see a war like that again.

The antagonist faction obtained some of that lost data and replicated it, their seemingly advanced technology is centuries old itself. So the AGE-1 can not only stand up to them since it's based on technology of the same era, but it's adaptive system doesn't care about limitations or treaties so it can churn out things as good or better than whatever it encounters.

And they let him fight because what is happening in the arc has nothing to do with the Federation, the whole Secret Federation Mission thing is a fraud and it's entirely a rogue op run by a deserter for personal reasons. In the next arc he is in a position of influence and his mobile suit designs are mass produced.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

MechaX posted:

As an aside, is it just me or did Genobreaker wreck the heroes for what seemed like half of Guardian Force

And that main character had pleny of the skills, but just didn't have a machine that could keep up with him at all at that point

That's just canon, The Genosaurer was the absolute tip top normal sized zoid around and the shield liger at best could just stand up to its firepower with the shield. Then the blade liger was developed and was able to surpass it, and the Genobreaker was the counterdevelopment that took the title back.

And then got beaten again by another even more advanced liger.

Zoids is fun.

I dont remember if in guardian force raven had the breaker before vaan got the blade liger though, its been so long.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 25, 2019

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
AGE had some fantastic robot designs, mainly because it's a game dev studio's take on classic gundam designs so they're stripped clean and simplified, while conserving a unique profile. I adore all of the grunt suits in AGE specially the dopey Genoaces and the Clanches.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sharkopath posted:

That's just canon, The Genosaurer was the absolute tip top normal sized zoid around and the shield liger at best could just stand up to its firepower with the shield. Then the blade liger was developed and was able to surpass it, and the Genobreaker was the counterdevelopment that took the title back.

Zoids is fun.

I dont remember if in guardian force raven had the breaker before vaan got the blade liger though, its been so long.

The anime goes in somewhat different directions than what the Battle Story did(in the latter for one thing almost every Zoid ends up being mass produced at some point, even stuff like the Liger Zero)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

drrockso20 posted:

The anime goes in somewhat different directions than what the Battle Story did(in the latter for one thing almost every Zoid ends up being mass produced at some point, even stuff like the Liger Zero)

Now I just want to see an armada of Liger Zero Panzers laying waste to everything in sight :orks101:.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Zoids is fun.

I seem to recall that the reason the Shield Liger needed to be upgraded was because the Genosaurer dunked on it. Raven + Genosaurer was the Empire's trump card. I have the opposite problem in that I can't remember what prompted the Breaker upgrade. In a sad twist of fate, I don't have the Chaotic Century files anymore, just the New Century Zero. :sigh:

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

Warmachine posted:

I seem to recall that the reason the Shield Liger needed to be upgraded was because the Genosaurer dunked on it. Raven + Genosaurer was the Empire's trump card. I have the opposite problem in that I can't remember what prompted the Breaker upgrade. In a sad twist of fate, I don't have the Chaotic Century files anymore, just the New Century Zero. :sigh:

But New Century Zero was awesome when I was 16?!?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Did anybody watch Zoids Wild?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Now I just want to see an armada of Liger Zero Panzers laying waste to everything in sight :orks101:.

Worth mentioning that the Battle Story version of Liger Zero Panzer is almost as fast as the base model

Gripweed posted:

Unfortunately no one has been subbing it, which is a recurring issue with that franchise

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

It has cool animation and a pretty fun cast of characters, I love that all the villains except for the sasuke are 80s mad max punks

Its a childrens show though through and through.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

McTimmy posted:

I think he killed Brewers' guy with the sword too?

He did. He figured out that you can stab with swords when slashing doesn't work, to bloody effect.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

IMO what pisses me off most about seed destiny these days because I no longer really care about the bad story or bad setting or bad characters etc. is that they made a mech Babi as a clear reference to the Hambrabi but unlike the zaku or gouf or dom it is nothing like the Hambrabi other than the transformation and it never does anything except be in the background.

What a loving waste.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Schubalts posted:

He did. He figured out that you can stab with swords when slashing doesn't work, to bloody effect.

That fight was good because the guy tried to pull the old "we're not so different, you and I" thing and instead of fretting about it like a normal anime protagonist Mika just shrugged like "yeah I guess I do like killing people".

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

sassassin posted:

That fight was good because the guy tried to pull the old "we're not so different, you and I" thing and instead of fretting about it like a normal anime protagonist Mika just shrugged like "yeah I guess I do like killing people".

That's greatly underplaying it. Mika actually seems genuinely shocked when he's told that...only to then snap into this weird calm with a completely normal grin on his face as if he was just having a happy day, chillin' with his friends...and points out how the world will be better without him anyways. Kill.

Mika's loving cold.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

That's greatly underplaying it. Mika actually seems genuinely shocked when he's told that...only to then snap into this weird calm with a completely normal grin on his face as if he was just having a happy day, chillin' with his friends...and points out how the world will be better without him anyways. Kill.

Mika's loving cold.

It will be really interesting to see how other characters from other shows and franchises will react to him in future Super Robot Wars titles

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

It will be really interesting to see how other characters from other shows and franchises will react to him in future Super Robot Wars titles

He's going to be in a corner with Setsuna, Heero, Chirico, and Sousuke. And he'll probably be "The hosed up one" even by their standards.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Team him up with Mazinkaiser SKL and... like half the Getters? Kid'll be fine.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

HitTheTargets posted:

Team him up with Mazinkaiser SKL and... like half the Getters? Kid'll be fine.

I'm not sure how well he'll fit there, Kaido, Ryoma and Hayato (to a lesser extent, Magami too) are far more excitable than the normally calm Mika. And depending on which version of Ryoma you're using, he'll react very differently to what happens to him later. Manga Ryoma got so terrified by Shin Getter's...eating habits...that he downright quit the Getter Team and wandered the world, but later on he just allowed himself to be eaten, so depending on moment he'd be very against Mikatsuki sacrificing himself to Barbatos or fully encouraging of his act. Meanwhile pretty much every adaptation will not be okay with him basically getting assimilated.

On the other hand, seeing his reaction to Hashmal, Mika would probably really like Shin Getter and especially Shin Dragon.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Knowing how Heero feels about kids (nevermind Mika probably being the same age but he does look real young), I wonder how he'd react.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I kind of wish DD was in English so we could Mika vs actual Satan.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Mika's loving cold.

It's more that he knows how to compartmentalise. He sees that as an important insight to file away for after the battle is over, and we do see him rolling it around in his head later on. It's just that he's in the middle of a giant robot duel, which isn't really the best time to be wasting time contemplating your own psychological state.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Random Zeta blu ray thing: did they really use the subs from the old DVD set on these? I've been rewatching UC but it's really bumming me out switching from MSG to Zeta that the talkier show has such a clunky script. I poked around for fansubs but it looks like they're using the same one. No one ever took another crack at Zeta?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Knowing how Heero feels about kids (nevermind Mika probably being the same age but he does look real young), I wonder how he'd react.

Well, if he tries to pity Mika, that's probably not going to be taken well. I mean, look at Crank.

Tekkadan's philosophy on the matter is best stated by Chad in season 2. "Everyone with a weapon is equal."

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Do what you couldn't for Code Geass and make Tekkadan enemies until the very end, you cowards.

Like just straight up have the party getting manipulated by McGillis for the whole story, and Mika be the hardest optional boss in the game who appears in Totally Legit Legal Fed Operations and takes out one allied unit per round.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Imagine someone like Mika performing a cover of a song from one of the Macross series.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AradoBalanga posted:

Imagine someone like Mika performing a cover of a song from one of the Macross series.

I'm not sure if he'd understand the idea of a microphone not being a clubbing weapon, but if we can get past that, the idea of Mika singing a Sheryl song, completely deadpan at all times, is hilarious.

I'm also remembering that one scene where Heero and Setsuna try and fail to understand the idea that songs and feelings can be power with Mika in it, only while the other two care, Mika would be constantly distracted.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

AradoBalanga posted:

Close to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WKB1KSMfRo

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Caphi posted:

Do what you couldn't for Code Geass and make Tekkadan enemies until the very end, you cowards.

Like just straight up have the party getting manipulated by McGillis for the whole story, and Mika be the hardest optional boss in the game who appears in Totally Legit Legal Fed Operations and takes out one allied unit per round.

Alternatively, do that for Hathaway's Flash next showing, with Hathaway recruitable only as a secret where you save him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Alternatively, do that for Hathaway's Flash next showing, with Hathaway recruitable only as a secret where you save him.

Hathaway would probably work better for the role. There's about a quarter of the show where Tekkadan's a respected civilian corporation, which makes them an awkward fit for a pure antagonist role.