Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I liked the shot of Deku grabbing the steel pipes with Black Whip

But I want to see next chapter if Deku can match Shinsou's proficiency in using the capture rope

It might be lame, but I wonder if it's going to get handwaved by Deku recalling how Aizawa and Sero use similar styles and applying that to Black Whip; like how he used Bakugo's flying techniques when debuting Full Cowing during the training exercise after the internships.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The last instance was an unknown power activating when deku was already freaking out and making him freak out more activating the power more and more.

Yeah calmed down Deku being able to not explode into tentacles makes perfect sense and still isn't some "WOW HE'S TRULY MASTERED THE TECHNIQUE".

This is the kind of thing I"m talking about when I say a lot of people in the thread misread or really overract to basic poo poo. Like yeah there's things to discuss if this whole Hidden Powers poo poo goes sideways but "Being able ot use it without instantly becoming an orgy of Venoms" isn't exactly that point at all.

Yeah, but the actual substance of that criticism isn't "Why Deku good at power when bad before?" it's "Why is he suddenly this dexterous and capable with this power the literal first time he has ever had any control over it or even knowledge of its existence?"'

I'm not sure I want six separate training arcs for each of these new Quirks, but outright skipping any of the potential drama of learning to use and understand these powers ain't great either!

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 25, 2019

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

My main complaint with this chapter was them setting up the tension/dilemma of "I'm not going to use my powers!" and 8 pages later going "Naw, gonna use those powers"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Arist posted:

Yeah, but the actual substance of that criticism isn't "Why Deku good at power when bad before?" it's "Why is he suddenly this dexterous and capable with this power the literal first time he has ever had any control over it or even knowledge of its existence?"'

Yeah but the substance of my post there and the previous post I made about it is that this isn't exactly that big or dexterous a feat. He threw a rope around some objects flying by him. It's not like he spider-man webbed someone up or did a full Maximum Spider on Shinso.

To say otherwise feels very much like you're trying to complain about what might be or what this might become instead of the text as it exists in front of you, which has happened in this thread repeatedly since the Yakuza arc started. There's this constant refrain in this thread where some posters ring their hands about how bad these individual plot points could be if you ignore the context of the now and focus on a possible future chapter where the worst thing happens with them. It happened with Eri, the VA teaming up with the Yakuza, Deku's use of force in the Gentle fight, Endevour's realization that he's a piece of poo poo and should try to do better, Momo's plan failing because Birdboy held back, Bakugo's team winning, and now Deku using his new power in a fairly basic unskillful way.

This thread has a lot of Chicken Little-ing anytime basically anything happens and it's really exhausting because so far there hasn't really been any huge slip ups. Even the Endeavor poo poo is being handled fairly well.

I dunno, it's just weird how readily and consistently this thread jumps at trying to pinpoint the exact point this ongoing shonen comic became bad.

Because that moment is scientifically when Hatsune Mei went off screen for the first time.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 25, 2019

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
The next chapter is going to start with Deku not really knowing what to do with the whips now that he's caught the stuff and he accidentally hits himself in the head with them.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

oh jay posted:

My main complaint with this chapter was them setting up the tension/dilemma of "I'm not going to use my powers!" and 8 pages later going "Naw, gonna use those powers"

That was weird, I am interested in what the official translation says. In the manga stream version he says he isn't planning on fighting quirkless.
https://readms.net/r/my_hero_academia/214/5629/7

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/villhut/status/1088867826167959552

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
I have the feeling that was a translation/wording goof. Write me down as having concerns about this new development; given his record of blowing himself up before figuring out super strength, I'm not convinced Deku should be able to use his whips with any proficiency until at least a few pages of tooling around.

The rest of this fight owns, though. Glad to see Mineta getting some development, even if he's still mainly a horniness elemental.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

dazoner posted:

That was weird, I am interested in what the official translation says. In the manga stream version he says he isn't planning on fighting quirkless.
https://readms.net/r/my_hero_academia/214/5629/7

I'm reading the "not exactly..." as a sly reference to him using Uraraka's quirk.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

bare bottom pancakes posted:

I have the feeling that was a translation/wording goof. Write me down as having concerns about this new development; given his record of blowing himself up before figuring out super strength, I'm not convinced Deku should be able to use his whips with any proficiency until at least a few pages of tooling around.

The rest of this fight owns, though. Glad to see Mineta getting some development, even if he's still mainly a horniness elemental.

Mineta is this weird combination of very gross (and justifiably being treated as such) and also very competent when push comes to shove in spite of the series never selling him.

He’s like the anti-Momo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

oh jay posted:

yea that was kinda disappointing. like he was saying that using o4a was dangerous right now but then he ends the chapter, not only by using it, but by directly upgrading over what shinsou was doing. I can see why he and monoma have a complex about their quirks not being good enough after that

I wish uraraka had more than one trick up her sleeve in a fight too

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's going to be one of those situations where Deku thinks he's doing something badass, but he just wakes up in the cage after he actually just got his rear end kicked by Shinso.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Yeah, it would have been better if Deku just used OfA: 20% and suplexed the essentially quirkless Shinso before he had a chance to do anything. That Shinso had a chance at all was down to Deku's unwillingness to just finger flick him into oblivion.

Like I understand the salty tears that he caught the things with his black whip, but considering Deku could have caught the things with his super strength, or dodged with his super speed, Like... no, Shinso wasn't going to win, he couldn't possibly win. This isn't Rock Lee vs Gaara, it's Usopp vs Luffy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the point is that deku wasn't going to use his quirk at all. he specifically says this

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Freeing a post

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Rhonne posted:

The next chapter is going to start with Deku not really knowing what to do with the whips now that he's caught the stuff and he accidentally hits himself in the head with them.

I hope something like this happens too, like how he was being cool with Full Cowling in the race exercise after the Internships, but ended up in last place when he slipped and fell

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I still think this is gonna end with Deku eventually giving all of the powers except for OfA to other people in his class. Kirishima could use those whips, since he doesn't have a great way to be mobile, for example.

I really like this idea and hope that's what happens.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea that was kinda disappointing. like he was saying that using o4a was dangerous right now but then he ends the chapter, not only by using it, but by directly upgrading over what shinsou was doing. I can see why he and monoma have a complex about their quirks not being good enough after that

I wish uraraka had more than one trick up her sleeve in a fight too

I feel like it's only Monoma who has a complex about his quirk. Shinso's complex is that people never gave him a chance because they saw his quirk as "villainous". Monoma seems to have his own completely different set of problems going by that internal rant in this chapter.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Manatee Cannon posted:

the point is that deku wasn't going to use his quirk at all. he specifically says this
Probably meant the super strength portion.

Also I want to see the viz translation on Monday

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, if this doesn't end with Deku curing All Might or wiping off Todoroki's scar I have to wonder what the point of all this is.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I really like this idea and hope that's what happens.

Okay, but who in the class would he give a quirk to? He only has six to work with here, so he has to choose wisely.

RareAcumen posted:

Man, if this doesn't end with Deku curing All Might or wiping off Todoroki's scar I have to wonder what the point of all this is.

All Might is going to die because we're going to find out that the only way Deku can truly master OfA is to have the spirits of every previous user become apart of it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Manatee Cannon posted:

Not in the Mangastream translation. Jaimini's Box this week is again choke-full of mistakes, to the point that several lines have entirely opposite meanings, including that one.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
I am excited at the prospect of Deku using a quirk that doesn't wreck his body.
I am excited at seeing black whip + super strength + super speed; sorry but when he breaks that out it's going to be really cool.

I love the idea of black whip... I wish it manifested when Deku was chasing after that pedo Gentle Criminal.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Like a cat playing with yarn.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Okay, but who in the class would he give a quirk to? He only has six to work with here, so he has to choose wisely.

Bakugou, Tokoyami and Todoroki are the only ones doing fine with their own powers so far.

Momo needs a harrier to get out and fight people while she's running through the chemical composition of magnesium in her head.
Kirishima could use the whips to human slingshot himself as a wrecking ball.
Sero needs something in case he runs into someone with an explosion elemental or strength quirk that's too much for his tape to restrain.
Mei needs a ForgetMeNot character constantly nudging her towards making gear that keeps her in the story chapter to chapter.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Probably meant the super strength portion.

Also I want to see the viz translation on Monday

but that's not even the one that went haywire

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The black whips didn't go haywire because he was trying to use black whips, they went haywire when he was trying to use One For All. So being wary of using One for All seemed prudent.

Effectively using the energy whips anyway because it "felt right" and he needed them seemed a little cheap to me, but overall I liked the chapter.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

dazoner posted:

I love the idea of black whip... I wish it manifested when Deku was chasing after that pedo Gentle Criminal.

Not this poo poo again. La Brava is 21.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
Gentle should be shot for liking short stacks.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
A fun limit on the extra powers could be delivered can only use them one at a time. Which would line up with him not having his strength quirk at the moment. Just a thought.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Rent-a-Bot posted:

A fun limit on the extra powers could be delivered can only use them one at a time. Which would line up with him not having his strength quirk at the moment. Just a thought.

I wonder if that's going to be a thing as well

Like he can't use Full Cowling alongside Black Whip

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

At the end of the day, the black whip's true utility is in mimicking things.

I hope you're prepared for a super strong child with nunchucks.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

When Deku finally loses that arm, he'll just replace it with the Black Whips.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

RareAcumen posted:

I still think this is gonna end with Deku eventually giving all of the powers except for OfA to other people in his class. Kirishima could use those whips, since he doesn't have a great way to be mobile, for example.

So you're saying that he should form a new sort of team with these new quirks, powers which are specifically activated by carrying a certain emotion into battle?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
poor monoma

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhonne posted:

This is basically what I'm expecting, except a bit less silly; he's going to be inelegant with the power and not able to use it perfectly, given how important training your quirk is of a thing in this series, but hey, this is a training exercise so if he's going to try to learn how to use it now's exactly the time.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Mineta is this weird combination of very gross (and justifiably being treated as such) and also very competent when push comes to shove in spite of the series never selling him.

He’s like the anti-Momo.

Despite my loathing of Mineta's grossness, recently I noticed that, when he's not being a gross perv (or even when it's kept to reasonable teenager levels rather than groping and peeping and stuff) he can be pretty funny. Mostly because he's a little poo poo; things like him telling Midoriya "I told you, you scared everyone away" after the Sports Festival and Deku not getting any intern requests, or being smug about actually getting good grades and pissing off all the people who assumed he'd also be a dummy before the camp arc, amused me quite a bit on a reread. If it weren't for the Unfortunate Anime Tropes (i.e. casual sexual harassment and assault) he'd probably be a decent to good character really. But that stuff is pretty dang hard to overlook, so... Yeah.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 26, 2019

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
The whips are gonna cover deku's whole body and he'll get muscle body ofa like all might and basically just become venom.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

i flunked out posted:

The whips are gonna cover deku's whole body and he'll get muscle body ofa like all might and basically just become venom.

Deku learned a lot from that fight with Muscular.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

New Vigilantes!

Captain Celebrity is gonna be a dad! And his lawsuits are almost all taken care of, so he'll be free to return to America to live a long, happy life. Nothing could possibly go wrong for him now!

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

i flunked out posted:

The whips are gonna cover devour deku's whole body and he'll get muscle body ofa like all might and basically just become venom. a warp power.