Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

STR posted:

Hope you're not in a state that does OBD2 checks then, the low battery probably wiped the ECU's readiness monitors out.
I think Pennsylvania does, but I don't understand the ramifications here. Surely people have gotten their vehicles inspected not long after they had a dead battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Solus posted:

There's a bloke near selling a Manual 2003 350z for quite cheap (and its mechanically sound from my mates check over of it) and I've never been more tempted in my life.

All I want is a fun car to take to the track :negative:

These are ok at best for that. They're heavy, require adjustable control arms to change the camber, and can't really make a whole lot more power than stock without forced induction. The traction control is pretty dated and really aggressive so short of turning it off completely it kind of sucks. Oh, and they get fuel starvation in turns, which there's a $500 solution for.

Nothing is cheap to track except a miata. :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I think Pennsylvania does, but I don't understand the ramifications here. Surely people have gotten their vehicles inspected not long after they had a dead battery.

If the ecu puts out that code that says "monitors not set", you will fail your emissions inspection. If that's gonna be a problem, I suggest looking up the "OBD2 Drive Cycle" for your specific car, and following that to the letter. Most parts stores will pull codes for free, so you can check there and once your ecu comes back with no codes you should be good to go.

E: Resetting the ECU can hide an existing problem that takes a while to actually trigger the trouble code, so if they find out it's been reset recently, policy is to assume that's what you're doing and fail your car.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

freelop posted:

Minimoon in Edinburgh this weekend then Italy in summer

sounds ideal! drink some whisky for me

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Fender Anarchist posted:

If the ecu puts out that code that says "monitors not set", you will fail your emissions inspection. If that's gonna be a problem, I suggest looking up the "OBD2 Drive Cycle" for your specific car, and following that to the letter. Most parts stores will pull codes for free, so you can check there and once your ecu comes back with no codes you should be good to go.

E: Resetting the ECU can hide an existing problem that takes a while to actually trigger the trouble code, so if they find out it's been reset recently, policy is to assume that's what you're doing and fail your car.

This seems freaking weird, since looking up the drive cycle there's some stuff in there that seems pretty freaking specific to arise in normal driving. I have an OBD-2 dongle floating around somewhere and I'll see if there are some codes. Given how easily the thing fired up today I think it was more "oil like concrete" rather than "almost dead battery" anyway. Even if the monitors aren't set right now, my wife'll easily put a few hundred miles on it by the time it needs to get tested. Still, all of this is great to know since I had zero clue about it beforehand, thanks.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

I dunno about other manufacturers, but you can buy the Hondacare 100k mile warranty from other dealerships after you buy your car. Some dealer on the east coast sells them for $1k.

Yeah, we have Toyota ExtraCare or ToyotaCare Plus or whatever the hell we're calling it these days, and if I was going to pick an extended warranty, it'd be that one.

Of course, I'm the one that has to twist the knife to get our dealership paid for claims on all of the garbage third party warranties we sell in the finance offices. Unbelievably difficult.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Someone should toss a few beers into a pillowcase and take a swing at Mitch Mcconnell's head.

Just to see what kind of sound it makes.

For science.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rhyno posted:

Someone should toss a few beers into a pillowcase and take a swing at Mitch Mcconnell's head.

Just to see what kind of sound it makes.

For science.

Cans, bottles, or kegs?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

The Door Frame posted:

Cans, bottles, or kegs?

Yes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Suburban Dad posted:

These are ok at best for that. They're heavy, require adjustable control arms to change the camber, and can't really make a whole lot more power than stock without forced induction. The traction control is pretty dated and really aggressive so short of turning it off completely it kind of sucks. Oh, and they get fuel starvation in turns, which there's a $500 solution for.

And 'cheap' is very relative :lol: (it is still expensive)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

NoWake posted:

hosed with a robocaller offering extended car warranties today, guy got really mad I kept reading nonsense 16-digit strings of numbers for my CC. This was 15 minutes after I told him my name was Bill Buttlicker.

poo poo was going to be $199/month on a 2014 Chrysler.

You didn't waste my time! I'm still getting paid! My last check was $4,500 mother fucker! I'm friends with the owner!
Okay cool. He's gonna be really happy you spent 15 minutes running fake credit card numbers for Mr. Buttlicker.

You told us you were interested in a warranty! This is fraud! You gave us false information on a recorded line! We're gonna find out who you are!
Please do. I'd love to get info on your company for my FCC complaint.

I really wish I had a personality that allowed me to be confrontational. Those people deserve every bit of poo poo they get.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have an end of service letter and confirmation number from Comcast with a final bill total of $45.

But my account is still open and is at $279 and they're refusing to backdate it despite me cancelling service over 60 days ago. I'm on hold again.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Recently got a water pick and it's been awesome, but I'm just getting used to using it, took it out of my mouth too soon before turning it off and water picked my eyeball is that good?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Better than cranking the pressure to max and instantly thwapping your uvula hard enough you insta vomit like I did my first time

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

I have an end of service letter and confirmation number from Comcast with a final bill total of $45.

But my account is still open and is at $279 and they're refusing to backdate it despite me cancelling service over 60 days ago. I'm on hold again.

Record that poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Record that poo poo.

Gave up for today. 48 minutes on hold. Will try again tomorrow and do that.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Rhyno posted:

When I moved state-to-state, years back, I cancelled my Verizon tri-pack service over the phone. A year later I get a phone call from Verizon, asking me if it's OK to transfer my service to the new resident.

I said, "Transfer? What do you mean, transfer?"

Yeah, they tried to charge me for 11 months of service at an address I'd moved out of, after canceling the service a month before I left and turning the equipment in. After much back-and-forth and paperwork-showing their best, GRACIOUS offer was to reduce the something-like-$1600-in-bill-and-late-fees to just under a grand. I ended up just telling 'em to gently caress off and to send it to a collection agency because they wouldn't budge. My credit rating took a hit but frankly, gently caress 'em.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Better than cranking the pressure to max and instantly thwapping your uvula hard enough you insta vomit like I did my first time

Lol Jesus I’m wondering how that’s even possible but I’m not gonna try. My eyeball still hurts dammit.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Suburban Dad posted:

well at least they look cool

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Solus posted:

well at least they look cool

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Recently got a water pick and it's been awesome, but I'm just getting used to using it, took it out of my mouth too soon before turning it off and water picked my eyeball is that good?

I apologize, but I have to admit I laughed out loud at this.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

...and then that had me going for another several minutes.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol Jesus I’m wondering how that’s even possible but I’m not gonna try. My eyeball still hurts dammit.

I tried to use my tongue as a pressure gauge before I put it to my stupidly sensitive gums, but I somehow missed my tongue.

That waterpik has a lot more power behind it than you think.

E:

The Prong Song posted:

When I moved state-to-state, years back, I cancelled my Verizon tri-pack service over the phone. A year later I get a phone call from Verizon, asking me if it's OK to transfer my service to the new resident.

I said, "Transfer? What do you mean, transfer?"

Yeah, they tried to charge me for 11 months of service at an address I'd moved out of, after canceling the service a month before I left and turning the equipment in. After much back-and-forth and paperwork-showing their best, GRACIOUS offer was to reduce the something-like-$1600-in-bill-and-late-fees to just under a grand. I ended up just telling 'em to gently caress off and to send it to a collection agency because they wouldn't budge. My credit rating took a hit but frankly, gently caress 'em.

When I left Philadelphia, the cable bill was in my name. I called and canceled, got a confirmation, etc.

My ex then called them the day they cut off service and got it reinstated in my name somehow. Thank God I switched banks the second I got to Virginia, or she'd have figured out how to wrangle automatic payments and make me pay for it instead of it just hitting my credit.

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 25, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I read that as vulva and was quite confused

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
This is extra funny because “pik” means cock in Danish...

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Much like people using the actual bristles of the electric toothbrush to attempt to get off for the first time, I'm sure it's happened and I'm sure they regretted it instantly.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah it's super powerful, the first time I used it I thought eh, I'll try just over medium power first.....wrong answer lol, my gums were bleeding like a stuck pig. I'm on the lowest setting and it's still blasting my gums....And my eyeballs :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Breaking news :911:

Good news: Agreement to open the government for 3 weeks.

Bad news: Back in the same spot in 3 weeks :v:

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
I am genuinely surprised they didn't set it for 13 days, just so they wouldn't have to write a check for the people that are working without pay

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

slidebite posted:

Breaking news :911:

Good news: Agreement to open the government for 3 weeks.

Bad news: Back in the same spot in 3 weeks :v:

I think every other proposal funded the government to September.

Guess who has to fly in about 3 weeks?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
At least it's something
Please tell me there's no wall involved

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

At least it's something
Please tell me there's no wall involved

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.05654f12ee44

No wall for the money...for now.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Between this and the Roger Stone thing, the CHUD tears have been flowing like a mighty river.

It's great.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Thank God, I've been actively avoiding the news for the past week or so because it made me pissed off every time I read or heard anything about Britain or the US

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
So whats that word I'm searcing for that describes having fits of laughter at President Pissbaby and all the chuds meting down?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Schadenfreude?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So whats that word I'm searcing for that describes having fits of laughter at President Pissbaby and all the chuds meting down?
Not being an employee of the US government?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Oh, neat, all the assholes throwing hissy fits and withholding paychecks loving their constituents did a thing... until it all folds again in 3 weeks.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

InitialDave posted:

Not being an employee of the US government?

Too narrow, lotsa other people got hosed too.

While I'm always glad to see Trump take an L, next time I'd prefer if it didn't, you know, drive people into taking out shady loans, pawing their stuff, having to hunt for food handouts, etc.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Too narrow, lotsa other people got hosed too.

While I'm always glad to see Trump take an L, next time I'd prefer if it didn't, you know, drive people into taking out shady loans, pawing their stuff, having to hunt for food handouts, etc.

You act like this hasn't happened every year for the past decade whenever one side or the other wanted some pork barrel spending for their pet project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

The Prong Song posted:

You act like this hasn't happened every year for the past decade whenever one side or the other wanted some pork barrel spending for their pet project.
It's okay that they went through it because it has happened before? Also, hyperbole much? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_shutdowns_in_the_United_States#List_of_federal_shutdowns