Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

jarofpiss posted:

how do i start doing power cleans with bad wrist and shoulder mobility

also how do i pick a weight that is appropriate

Two stretches I've seen my trainer do with people learning cleans-

1. Take a resistance band and hold one end in each hand, then pull your hands apart.

2. Point your elbows upwards (so your hands are over your shoulders), then press your elbows against a wall so that they point even higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

137.7 lbs :negative:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I am wondering if I should just start eating loads

gross

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Another stretch illustrated in starting strength is to get the empty bar in the racking position (or as close to it as you can get), then squat down slightly and use your legs to press the bar upward against the underside of the rack, using that pressure to force your wrists and shoulders into the correct position.

This accomplishes much of item 2 in C-Euro’s post, while also involving the wrists.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Another stretch illustrated in starting strength is to get the empty bar in the racking position (or as close to it as you can get), then squat down slightly and use your legs to press the bar upward against the underside of the rack, using that pressure to force your wrists and shoulders into the correct position.

This accomplishes much of item 2 in C-Euro’s post, while also involving the wrists.

i think ill try this. ive always hated cleans and front squats because i have no mobility in my body

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

DOMS update from the second morning after starting back up: Oh god my thighs. And gently caress you stairs.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

jarofpiss posted:

i think ill try this. ive always hated cleans and front squats because i have no mobility in my body

reading your fitness diary (not a stealth insult) is always a hilarious trainwreck ty

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
lifted for the first time in prolly 3 months and i litrully cant move. nvr stop for more than a month

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Did my second lifting session after starting back up two days ago. Hurt all day walking around, then felt friggin great doing 3x5 squats again. I missed this.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

This is gonna be the year of the sub 40 10k I feel it

C-Euro posted:

Sup 10k goals buddy. Ran 40:09 in a race last August on not my best day so I have a good feeling for this year (if I actually stay diligent in my training).
holy fk u ppl r in great shape

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

cargo cult posted:

holy fk u ppl r in great shape

The better to bring about the glorious people's revolution, my dear.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Pancakes posted:

The better to bring about the glorious people's revolution, my dear.

our impending revolution and climate annihilation was the motivator I needed to actually stick with getting in shape

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I guess I can't do barbell rows anymore because every time I've done them with full movement I get a weird twinge in my right forearm that makes it numb, what's a good alternative

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Zesty Mordant posted:

I guess I can't do barbell rows anymore because every time I've done them with full movement I get a weird twinge in my right forearm that makes it numb, what's a good alternative

if its the small 3 fingers it's your ulnar nerve and idk what to do about that but it doesn't actually matter in my experience (ama about my constant injuries)

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

juche avocado posted:

reading your fitness diary (not a stealth insult) is always a hilarious trainwreck ty

reach for the sky is my motto

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

jarofpiss posted:

if its the small 3 fingers it's your ulnar nerve and idk what to do about that but it doesn't actually matter in my experience (ama about my constant injuries)

it seems to be somewhere near the attachment to my forearm muscle to my elbow, it just pinches in a weird way when I bring significant weight towards my chest and flare my elbows out and then all my veins in that arm swell. idk

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Zesty Mordant posted:

it seems to be somewhere near the attachment to my forearm muscle to my elbow, it just pinches in a weird way when I bring significant weight towards my chest and flare my elbows out and then all my veins in that arm swell. idk

dont flare yoour elbows out are you trying to get shoulders like mine ??!!?! also that sounds like tendonitis let me know if you find a cure

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I just mean "while bringing bar to chest completely" but either way that motion twangs my forearm weird.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

is "fat danzig" anyone's goal physique?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
every winter I just stop exercising completely it's too cold out and any additional step between me and exercise (like driving to the gym) is enough to get me to not do it, even in optional motivation conditions.

think im gonna bite the bullet and buy a
power rack so I can lift safely alone at home. anyone have any recs?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

every winter I just stop exercising completely it's too cold out and any additional step between me and exercise (like driving to the gym) is enough to get me to not do it, even in optional motivation conditions.

Almost all of my home equipment is BodySolid and it’s served me well for 5-ish years.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

136.4 :negative:

i get a lung infection and suddenly i'm essentially back to where i started, weight wise

(not true: i started at about 127. but it sure feels like it)

also do not listen to jar of piss for advice on anything related to avoiding injury lmao

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

LOL made me laugh on the bus you twat

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

juche avocado posted:

136.4 :negative:

i get a lung infection and suddenly i'm essentially back to where i started, weight wise

(not true: i started at about 127. but it sure feels like it)

also do not listen to jar of piss for advice on anything related to avoiding injury lmao

Is that the weight you're lifting or your body weight?

Also wheober is running 40min 10ks that's pretty much twice as fast as I am and i hate you. Do you have to just gun it for 40mins?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Also wheober is running 40min 10ks that's pretty much twice as fast as I am and i hate you. Do you have to just gun it for 40mins?

My PR pace was around 42:30 at 10k equivalency so I'm not quite there yet. It's not quite gunning it because you're running at a 180 steps/min which is much higher than most casual runners do without conscious training. So it's mostly about hoppity hopping along at a high cadence while fuckin hauling with your glutes and hips to get that lever action in your knees and hips that increases your stride length.

Also my secret to running fast is unironically playing lots of high level dance dance revolution

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

yeah, 8.5-9mph straight for 42-44 minutes gets me a 10k

and it's body weight

i am but a leaf

oh i didn't realize that gunning it apparently means something other than gotta go fast

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Hentai Jihadist posted:

That's about my pace but I'm a really tall guy so I've got something of a stride advantage helping out on that front, and for a 10k I'm at the point where I don't need to pace myself like I would for something longer and just get up to top speed and stay there.

I find listening to classic metal helps as well.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
out of curiosity are you guys who are putting up S-tier 10k times also lifting heavy and or playing basketball or swimming or whatever

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

im a scrawny binch with long legs and I'm trying to lift more

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

cargo cult posted:

out of curiosity are you guys who are putting up S-tier 10k times also lifting heavy and or playing basketball or swimming or whatever

Typical week for me has:

- 1 day arms + easy run or easy ddr
- 1 day legs no cardio
- 1 30 min tempo run at lactate threshold
- 1 day intervals (either 5x1k 3x2k or 6x600m)
- 1 day easy ddr and recovery run
- 1 or 2 days hard ddr
- 1 long run if not doing 3xddr in a week

I either end up with 0 or 1 days of full "rest" a week, but by doing bro splits and cross training running with DDR my muscles usually stay in a pretty consistent zone of slightly sore but ready for a hard day.

To up my 10k time I'm trying to increase pace on intervals while decreasing rest, then adding intervals as they get easy. For lactate threshold runs, get them up to 45 mins, and increase my pace on my long runs while not increasing my hr.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

cargo cult posted:

I lift a couple of times a week, and during the winter I ski and skate periodically.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

personally i've never hit the threshold where i begin to produce milk from my nips :confused:

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Typical week for me has:

- 1 day arms + easy run or easy ddr
- 1 day legs no cardio
- 1 30 min tempo run at lactate threshold
- 1 day intervals (either 5x1k 3x2k or 6x600m)
- 1 day easy ddr and recovery run
- 1 or 2 days hard ddr
- 1 long run if not doing 3xddr in a week

I either end up with 0 or 1 days of full "rest" a week, but by doing bro splits and cross training running with DDR my muscles usually stay in a pretty consistent zone of slightly sore but ready for a hard day.

To up my 10k time I'm trying to increase pace on intervals while decreasing rest, then adding intervals as they get easy. For lactate threshold runs, get them up to 45 mins, and increase my pace on my long runs while not increasing my hr.
when you say DDR ∂o you mean dance dance lol

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

cargo cult posted:

when you say DDR ∂o you mean dance dance lol

hell yeah I do it's legit cardio and makes my heart rate spike harder than even sprinting can

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

jarofpiss posted:

is "fat danzig" anyone's goal physique?

im goin for more like an Andrew WK

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

cargo cult posted:

I lift 2-3 times a week and run on the other days, but the lifting usually isn't terribly heavy. I've been "good at running" for over 15 years so a lot of my running ability is just how things have been, and I'll lift and run in the same day every so often. I also have a fairly consistent running buddy now and she's been a good influence for getting me to actually plan my training instead of just walking out my door and saying "I think I want to run X today".

If you want to lift + run I've heard the good weight exercises for running are chest presses, squats, and deadlifts. Don't forget core work!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I use a titan fitness x-3short rack and it's fine,

E: lmao it's all sold out. Also more expensive then when I got it :smugdon:

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 03:44 on Jan 26, 2019

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i've got the titan t3 cage. if you decide to go this route, be advised that their cages are great, but don't get the combo that comes with an incline bench. that thing sucks

and my favorite accessory for the cage is the pulley system. but it they'll happily sell you the "complete" pulley system without a loading pin or cable attachment for you to grab on to. so dont forget to order it all together if you want any of it

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I already have a flat bench and a squat "rack" I built years ago out of a bunch of staggered 2x4s and concrete in some buckets (i did not have any money then). They were fine when I had someone around to spot me but i live alone now and it would be trivial to kill myself after dropping the bar on myself or something since no one would find me for days probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I already have a flat bench and a squat "rack" I built years ago out of a bunch of staggered 2x4s and concrete in some buckets (i did not have any money then). They were fine when I had someone around to spot me but i live alone now and it would be trivial to kill myself after dropping the bar on myself or something since no one would find me for days probably.

i lke seeing the homeade guillotines people make for weight training. post yours